• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

the current Samsung galaxy design is 2 years old now. Whats the odds on the s8 missing that headphone jack?

I'm feeling pretty low. Samsung didn't rip off the 3d touch, they seem to be doing their own thing now. Wonder if they will still keep the glass back, probably for wireless charging?

wireless charging plus metal back

it's been said to be possible

Jeffrey

Has there been actual studies to see if 'quickcharging' kills batteries noticeably quicker?

The extra heat generated will definitely have some impact, but the question is how big of a deal?

I mean phone batteries in general go to shit after a year or so even before fast charging was a thing.

clav

All we know is quick charge 2.0 is worse than 3.0 since there are only two states charges on that one: slow and super fast. 3.0 gives more states in between to reduce stress.

Heat is always bad and reduces battery life on all types.

I'd charge with slow given the choice, so I would put a slow charger for overnight charging and fast charging for emergencies.

i hope that after note 7 battery fiasco they go back to remobable batteries. It is not only a matter of having a spare one, but it is really a 'feature' to consider if you plan to keep your phone for + 18 months, since it seems fast charging really harms battery longevity and i'd rather buy a new one than send the phone to replace it

People always argue no one cares about removable batteries, and the market that does is niche.

I disagree people complain about electronics like PS4 controllers that do not have them.

tzare

Has there been actual studies to see if 'quickcharging' kills batteries noticeably quicker?

The extra heat generated will definitely have some impact, but the question is how big of a deal?

I mean phone batteries in general go to shit after a year or so even before fast charging was a thing.

i have no real evidence except for personal experience and posts from people complaining about similar issues in other forums. Phones suddenly having important drops in battery % or shutting off when 15/20% remaining seems to be a thing these days. And most complains come from people owning quick charge enabled devices. I may be wrong, though.

People always argue no one cares about removable batteries, and the market that does is niche.

I disagree people complain about electronics like PS4 controllers that do not have them.

I just hope they do it like they did with SD. Maybe it is incompatible with being waterproof though. And it is not horrible here in Euroland with 2 year warranties, i just got new battery for my note 4 and phone is like new, and they did that in 2 minutes. But if it is sealed you may have to leave your phone and live without iif for a few days

Nougat seems to have resulted in a 20% decrease in battery life for me. Seems like I'm not the only one.

Any idea when Google will fix whatever but is causing this?

kinggroin

Banned
well moto x pure has better specs than the g4. They are slacking on updates though, but you can always go custom roms. Also for some reason the 16gb has like 8gb of room free out of the box. It was complaining about low memory within days of normal use and no big games installed.

If you can find a 32gb, get that.

Would have been 'banned' a while ago if Samsung actually went through the proper recall procedures lol.

Wait for the Pixel phones in 4 weeks. Moto sucks now.

If you absolutely must get a Moto than get the Moto g4 plus hands down.

Just tpain on the web version of group me for another month and save up for the $400 level and get either the OP3, Axon 7, or Honor 8. Plus by then the Nexus phones will be announced so you can see their pricing.

THanks everyone, but I was trying to stay close to $250, so it really was between the phones I mentioned (the 64GB G4 IS the plus model btw).

Ended up going with the G4 Plus 64GB 4GB ram

Jeffrey

i have no real evidence except for personal experience and posts from people complaining about similar issues in other forums. Phones suddenly having important drops in battery % or shutting off when 15/20% remaining seems to be a thing these days. And most complains come from people owning quick charge enabled devices. I may be wrong, though.

My iphone 6+ died at around 10% or so. I wish that had quick charging lol.

doesn't seem like it.

What's the current phone count for people that post here these days?

At least 3 axon 7's, a few nexus 6p/5x, one guy with some kickass lenovo chinese thing.

I hope you counted me in that number.

Coincidentally, I'm getting ready to buy one for someone. It just needs to come in stock.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I really wish I didn't hate iOS so much, because the hardware of the 6S is pretty much exactly what I want in a phone right now (fuck the 7 and no headphone jack). I even very briefly entertained the idea of picking up a 6S after any post-7 price drop, but then I remembered that Google Voice is garbage on the iPhone, and so is the iOS keyboard, and so is support for third-party keyboards, and so is the fact that I can't set default apps for anything, and and and...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Both Sony and Apple bored me.

Somehow I think Google might bore me too.

Damn I am becoming old man yells at clouds

Jeffrey

Now im convinced ZTE and HTC are black magic.

stereo speakers on a phone AND headphone jack?

how is that even possible.

Both Sony and Apple bored me.

Somehow I think Google might bore me too.

Damn I am becoming old man yells at clouds

Oh, it will. We basically know everything about the new Nexus/Pixel phones, and there's no secret sauce there. The camera is nearly the same as last year's except with OIS, apparently.

I'm mostly looking forward to the launch of Google Home, and mildly interested in hearing/seeing Google's Daydream headset.

HawkeyeIC

I'm somewhat interested in the Pixel exclusive software features, but we already know pretty much everything about the phones themselves.

Why do Apple fans just bend over and accept no headphone jack and other things like the horrible antenna design that looks cheap, yet pay a premium price? If that was an Android phone it would be getting shit all over.

Ty4on

Pretty sure that's well proven. EV manufacturers also don't recommend using fast chargers as the default way charging.

Heat regardless kills battery longevity.

I just read up on Apple's AirPods.

What a total shitshow. 5 hours of battery life, super easy to misplace or lose.

I hope none of the bigger manufacturers follow up on this shit.

I just read up on Apple's AirPods.

What a total shitshow. 5 hours of battery life, super easy to misplace or lose.

I hope none of the bigger manufacturers follow up on this shit.

It makes corporations more money. Apple and most corporations are extremely greedy and wants more profit, so if Apple is successful doing it other manufacturers will as well. Greed runs everything. Motorola already did it, just running off the rumors that Apple was doing it.

you serious with this?

battery_large.jpg

"AirPods deliver an industry-leading4 5 hours of listening time on one charge.3 And they’re made to keep up with you, thanks to a charging case that holds multiple additional charges for more than 24 hours of listening time.5 Need a quick charge? Just 15 minutes in the case gives you 3 hours of listening time.6 To check the battery, hold the AirPods next to your iPhone or ask Siri “How’s the battery on my AirPods?”"

3. Testing conducted by Apple in August 2016 using preproduction AirPods units and software paired with preproduction iPhone 7 units and software. The playlist consisted of 358 unique audio tracks purchased from the iTunes Store (256-Kbps AAC encoding). Volume was set to 50%. Testing consisted of full AirPods battery discharge while playing audio until the first AirPod stopped playback. Battery life depends on device settings, usage, and many other factors.

4. Compared to completely wireless stereo headphones.

5. Testing conducted by Apple in August 2016 using preproduction AirPods units and software paired with preproduction iPhone 7 units and software. The playlist consisted of 358 unique audio tracks purchased from the iTunes Store (256-Kbps AAC encoding). Volume was set to 50%. Testing consisted of full AirPods battery discharge while playing audio until the first AirPod stopped playback. The drained AirPods were charged for 30 minutes, then audio playback was continued until the first AirPod stopped playback. This cycle was repeated until both the AirPods and the Charging Case were fully discharged. Battery life depends on device settings, usage, and many other factors.

6. Testing conducted by Apple in August 2016 using preproduction AirPods units and software paired with preproduction iPhone 7 units and software. The playlist consisted of 358 unique audio tracks purchased from the iTunes Store (256-Kbps AAC encoding). Volume was set to 50%. 15-Minute charge testing was conducted with drained AirPods that were charged for 15 minutes, then audio was played until the first AirPod stopped playback. Battery life depends on device settings, usage, and many other factors.

http://www.apple.com/airpods/

Pure magic.

What's DROID™-GAF's impression of the iPhone 7?

The most boring iPhone yet. They're obviously saving the good stuff for the anniversary iPhone next year, but they could've skipped it this year completely. Then again, it's better to get the backlash for the lack of 3.5mm this year and get people used to it, than to ruin the announcement next year with negative PR like that. So courageous.

Groof

"AirPods deliver an industry-leading4 5 hours of listening time on one charge.3 And they’re made to keep up with you, thanks to a charging case that holds multiple additional charges for more than 24 hours of listening time.5 Need a quick charge? Just 15 minutes in the case gives you 3 hours of listening time.6 To check the battery, hold the AirPods next to your iPhone or ask Siri “How’s the battery on my AirPods?”"

3. Testing conducted by Apple in August 2016 using preproduction AirPods units and software paired with preproduction iPhone 7 units and software. The playlist consisted of 358 unique audio tracks purchased from the iTunes Store (256-Kbps AAC encoding). Volume was set to 50%. Testing consisted of full AirPods battery discharge while playing audio until the first AirPod stopped playback. Battery life depends on device settings, usage, and many other factors.

4. Compared to completely wireless stereo headphones.

http://www.apple.com/airpods/

Pure magic.

and these cost $159? absolute mad thing
"industry leading" at being the worst. my bt headset lasts at least 9 hours on one charge.

teiresias

Well Sony just freed up $700 worth of cash that I can now use to buy a flagship Android device to replace my Nexus 5. Now all I need is for Google to announce the new phones and then I can start making decisions.

Ty4on

I bet his BT headset also isn't that easy to lose.
No, but it's silly to compare two wildly different products. If you want a traditional BT headset, get a traditional BT headset...

This is the AirPod's competition (that I know of). They're more expensive with worse battery life. The Samsung one is seriously advertising 1-3 hours :S

It does seem on par with the iconx and the new jaybirds.
Jaybirds still have a wire between them, right? IconX I think has much less battery life.

Top Bottom