• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Asgaro

finally upgraded to Nougat on my 6P. switching back from CAF to Chrome Beta too. (though I do miss the built-in adblocker)

wondering if I should download Chromer

Nougat battery life is looking all that good

Why the switch?
I'm currently on TugaBrowser.

Just ordered a OnePlus 3. A bit bummed I couldn't find a great 5" or smaller Android phone with 64GB+ of storage.

Moving on from Apple after I found myself scratching my head a lot with their output in hardware/software.

Any fans on this phone on here? What should I expect? Coming from an iPhone SE.

Moreche

Just ordered a OnePlus 3. A bit bummed I couldn't find a great 5" or smaller Android phone with 64GB+ of storage.

Moving on from Apple after I found myself scratching my head a lot with their output in hardware/software.

Any fans on this phone on here? What should I expect? Coming from an iPhone SE.
Trust me, it's an amazing phone. The performance, style, screen, everything is just so amazing for its price. I'd love a Samsung S7 edge but the price of the OP3 is just far to hard to ignore.
Also as a bonus, the included, fitted screen protector is fantastic, for some reason I find it very scratch-proof.

Asgaro

What's a decent email client? (For hotmail accounts, if that makes a difference.)

I installed Outlook on my mom's phone but I've recently read it's a resource hog.

Moreche

I'd like to bring up another point, what's extremely frustrating is watching Apple and their mobile CPUs be so far ahead of what's in android a the moment yet for me restricted by what I can personally do with the phone. I really, really hope there's a breakthrough in mobile CPUs for android or they're going to get left behind. It's the one thing that'll push me over to iOS.
I honestly can't understand why people give up the flexibility of android for iOS.
Just today I was dragging and dropping files from my One Plus 3 connected to my laptop. It's just so easy to do, you can even use your android device like a portable hard drive.
Also why Apple haven't copied the LED notification light I'll never know, my phone sits in a charging dock at the end of my hallway and all I have to do is glance down my hall and I can see if there's anything waiting for me just by seeing the colour of the LED.

Not even a 3000 mAh battery?

Hahahahaha

Please tell me you are just trolling and not this ignorant by only looking at the mAh number.

Every other flagship that has a 3000 mAh battery is QHD. The Salfish is only 1080P. Well, except the G5 and thats QHD with almost the exact same battery size as the Salfish.

Also, the battery specs were leaked well over 2 months ago. The only thing new here is the stupid render.

What's a decent email client? (For hotmail accounts, if that makes a difference.)

I installed Outlook on my mom's phone but I've recently read it's a resource hog.

Gmail because its already using resources on the phone.

rc213

I'd like to bring up another point, what's extremely frustrating is watching Apple and their mobile CPUs be so far ahead of what's in android a the moment yet for me restricted by what I can personally do with the phone. I really, really hope there's a breakthrough in mobile CPUs for android or they're going to get left behind. It's the one thing that'll push me over to iOS.
I honestly can't understand why people give up the flexibility of android for iOS.
Just today I was dragging and dropping files from my One Plus 3 connected to my laptop. It's just so easy to do, you can even use your android device like a portable hard drive.
Also why Apple haven't copied the LED notification light I'll never know, my phone sits in a charging dock at the end of my hallway and all I have to do is glance down my hall and I can see if there's anything waiting for me just by seeing the colour of the LED.

I see everybody say this but I think iOS is worse than Android. If your iPhone comes with iOS 7 good luck running 8, iOS 8 good luck running 9. Plus the fact they specifically cut features from older devices. My brother whose been iOS for years always complains about it.

In the end it's no different just use what works with your specific use pattern.

I agree with you about flexibility over ease of use in a few areas will always win. If Apple allowed a bit more flexibility i would have to seriously consider switching over.

Noema

Please tell me you are just trolling and not this ignorant by only looking at the mAh number.

Every other flagship that has a 3000 mAh battery is QHD. The Salfish is only 1080P. Well, except the G5 and thats QHD with almost the exact same battery size as the Salfish.

A 2700maH battery didn't work out so well for the 5x and that had quite more modest specs compared to the new Pixel.

I can't see this phone getting more than 3 hours of SOT if it has to feed a SD821 with that battery.

I see everybody say this but I think iOS is worse than Android. If your iPhone comes with iOS 7 good luck running 8, iOS 8 good luck running 9.

Let's not get carried away.

reKon

Banned

It's funny that for all the power people have, they don't really do shit with it.

Phone just need to fast enough and perform smooth with long battery life. I don't give a fuck if you're hitting 3k on geek bench single core. That is more relevant to me on tablet than a phone. A phone's multimedia capabilities are limited by the screen size. Kingdom Rush is my favorite game series, and I will never play that on Galaxy S7, which has stronger performance than the Galaxy Tab S2 that I owned. Even RAM is never issue for me. My Xperia Z3 Compact only had 2GB of ram and it offered outstanding performance. There weren't issues with app reloading. Also, for what reason do people need access to 8-10 apps open at the same time? Most of the time people are texting, browsing the internet, using a few apps like snapchat, or streaming.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
It's funny that for all the power people have, they don't really do shit with it.

Phone just need to fast enough and perform smooth with long battery life. I don't give a fuck if you're hitting 3k on geek bench single core. That is more relevant to me on tablet than a phone. A phone's multimedia capabilities are limited by the screen size. Kingdom Rush is my favorite game series, and I will never play that on Galaxy S7, which has stronger performance than the Galaxy Tab S2 that I owned. Even RAM is never issue for me. My Xperia Z3 Compact only had 2GB of ram and it offered outstanding performance. There weren't issues with app reloading. Also, for what reason do people need access to 8-10 apps open at the same time? Most of the time people are texting, browsing the internet, using a few apps like snapchat, or streaming.
More power is always a good thing but I agree there are other areas where I'd like to see more improvement besides processor speed. I've got a Moto Droid Turbo which is certainly plenty fast for being nearly 2 years old, but what exactly are smartphones going to be doing that require a faster phone than this? If my next phone were lighter (this thing's a bit bulky), had a better battery, better camera, 5G or whatever the fuck, and not any faster I'd be perfectly happy with it. I assume that's different for someone who does really graphically intense gaming on their phone but that's not me, nor is it a lot of people.

andthebeatgoeson

More power is always a good thing but I agree there are other areas where I'd like to see more improvement besides processor speed. I've got a Moto Droid Turbo which is certainly plenty fast for being nearly 2 years old, but what exactly are smartphones going to be doing that require a faster phone than this? If my next phone were lighter (this thing's a bit bulky), had a better battery, better camera, 5G or whatever the fuck, and not any faster I'd be perfectly happy with it. I assume that's different for someone who does really graphically intense gaming on their phone but that's not me, nor is it a lot of people.
Are you upgrading soon? I have a turbo as well but I'm jumping over to pixel. Fuck this non upgrading shit. They still haven't bumped us to marshmallow. Sure, the phone still works but Motorola (or Verizon) dropped the ball.

A 2700maH battery didn't work out so well for the 5x and that had quite more modest specs compared to the new Pixel.

I can't see this phone getting more than 3 hours of SOT if it has to feed a SD821 with that battery. .

The 5x with its shitty 808 is not a fair comparison. It may have been modest but in reality it was terribly inefficient. At launch my 5x was hitting 4 hours screen on time. Unfortunately, to deal with the performance issues google has to modify the idle clock (6.0.1 & March security update) which HALVED my SOT to 2 hours.

You should compare against other 820 phones not the crap qualcomm pedaled last year. I do agree that SOT is not going to be amazing or anything and 3 hours maybe realistic but it certainly shouldnt be abysmal just because of 2770 mAh. 230 mAh difference isnt shit.

I agree with his post 100%. Your turbo is 32 bit and not encrypted. If it was encrypted you would have shit performance.. It is also brute force dealing with poor efficiency by having an obnoxiously huge battery. Android needs faster and efficient processing. Bad

clav

Wow I only get 1.5 hours screen time. Usually 1 hour. I don't look at my phone a lot as it lasts the whole day.

Everything sounds like an upgrade.

Screen time measurement is a bit useless without a benchmark.

zedge

Anyone else getting ads on GAF? Using Chrome on my s7 edge. And while I'm browsing GAF it will suddenly go to some weird ad and it won't let me go back to GAF. Have to close tab and reopen. Getting very frustrating. Just started today.

Like some slot machine thing. Congrats your the xxxx visitor. Grrr just happened again posting this.

Saiyan-Rox

Anyone else getting ads on GAF? Using Chrome on my s7 edge. And while I'm browsing GAF it will suddenly go to some weird ad and it won't let me go back to GAF. Have to close tab and reopen. Getting very frustrating. Just started today.

Like some slot machine thing. Congrats your the xxxx visitor. Grrr just happened again posting this.

Yep those are increasing as of late and not only on here XDA have them too.

clav

The 5x with its shitty 808 is not a fair comparison. It may have been modest but in reality it was terribly inefficient. At launch my 5x was hitting 4 hours screen on time. Unfortunately, to deal with the performance issues google has to modify the idle clock (6.0.1 & March security update) which HALVED my SOT to 2 hours.

You should compare against other 820 phones not the crap qualcomm pedaled last year. I do agree that SOT is not going to be amazing or anything and 3 hours maybe realistic but it certainly shouldnt be abysmal just because of 2770 mAh. 230 mAh difference isnt shit.

I agree with his post 100%. Your turbo is 32 bit and not encrypted. If it was encrypted you would have shit performance.. It is also brute force dealing with poor efficiency by having an obnoxiously huge battery. Android needs faster and efficient processing. Bad

Is the 808 really that bad though considering the price of a new 5X?

Do you think the 820/821 SoC is worth paying more?

Is the 808 really that bad though considering the price of a new 5X?

Do you think the 820/821 SoC is worth paying more?

Yes without a doubt.

The 808 is just not capable of dealing with google's encryption and resource requirements of Android. You dont hear more about this because the other 808 phones in 2015 were not encrypted.

I am serious when I said my 5x was hitting 4 hours of SOT at launch but the performance was so bad then the phone was basically unusable. Google had to deal with this by turning up the idle clock which introduced awful battery life.

Qualcomm dropped the ball in 2015 and this is why samsung completely avoided it with the S6.

Toki767

Also, the battery specs were leaked well over 2 months ago. The only thing new here is the stupid render.

The LG G2 which came out 3 years ago is still one of the best 1080p phones. Had a 3000 mAh battery and everything.

At least 3000 mAh should be standard. End of story.

The LG G2 which came out 3 years ago is still one of the best 1080p phones. Had a 3000 mAh battery and everything.

At least 3000 mAh should be standard. End of story.

And then the next year LG used the exact same size mAh battery in the QHD LG G3 and it had way worse battery life and performance than the G2.

Your minimum battery size is a pointless theory as mAh numbers alone don't mean shit.

64537_zpsyokx0sjh.png

Jeffrey

Because every damn year 200+ million people keep buying the same skinny iPhone.

eh, to be fair, iphone battery has generally been good, although i hear the 6s isn't great.

They are boosting the batteries this year... with a trade off lol.

It's a shame most 'giant battery' phones typically are low powered or are carrier tied like the s7 active or moto z force.

clav

Yes without a doubt.

The 808 is just not capable of dealing with google's encryption and resource requirements of Android. You dont hear more about this because the other 808 phones in 2015 were not encrypted.

I am serious when I said my 5x was hitting 4 hours of SOT at launch but the performance was so bad then the phone was basically unusable. Google had to deal with this by turning up the idle clock which introduced awful battery life.

Qualcomm dropped the ball in 2015 and this is why samsung completely avoided it with the S6.

$200 vs. $400-$500 though?

$200 vs. $400-$500 though?

I already said yes.

Having to throw my 5x on the charger before I leave multiple times a day does not warrant the price difference. If I leave my house in the evening for a long night I have to make sure its at 100% charge or I am fucked.

How did everyone in this forum besides AJ already forget the qualcomm issues from last year?
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/in-depth-with-the-snapdragon-810s-heat-problems/

Stop considering 2015 Qualcomm phones people.

clav

I didn't forget. I don't think it's a big deal considering what I'm using right now. Do you know what I'm using?

The way I see it is you're paying for one phone that's the price of two phones. It's why the BLU R1 HD is such a great burner phone highlighted in arstechnica's review.

Some posters only know what things are expensive but have no idea how to fix/maintain them like car enthusiasts. Talk a lot about cars that go fast. Ask them about maintenance. "Oh lol idk. I just take it to someone who does all the work."

I didn't forget. I don't think it's a big deal considering what I'm using right now. Do you know what I'm using?

The way I see it is you're paying for one phone that's the price of two phones. It's why the BLU R1 HD is such a great burner phone highlighted in arstechnica's review.

Some posters only know what things are expensive but have no idea how to fix/maintain them like car enthusiasts. Talk a lot about cars that go fast. Ask them about maintenance. "Oh lol idk. I just take it to someone who does all the work."

Looking at the Ars review I am pretty sure the BLU R1 HD blows the Nexus 5x out of the water in battery life. Even though it has a smaller battery.

It not using a botched qualcomm chipset it is also not encrypted like the 5x. Without using it and basing the decision on this review I would recommend the Blu over the 5x.

i thought 808 was ok though?

anyways, why not just get 2 nexus 5x instead :^)

Plenty of idiots will fight me on the 808 and all of them own(ed) phones that aren't encrypted.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
It's ugly... why doing this Google.
I don't even understand what this means. It looks like almost every other smartphone including iPhone out there. Is smartphone aesthetics the new audiophilia or something?

clav

I don't even understand what this means. It looks like almost every other smartphone including iPhone out there. Is smartphone aesthetics the new audiophilia or something?

Thick bezels for no reason. Check out the bottom.

Maybe there are stereo speakers to make up for the unexplained black space as I see two indentations on the bottom. The back half glossy and matte is tacky. I'm going to guess that's a way to hide the antenna lines that run both on the top and bottom.

Everything is rumor until the reveal.

Aiii

So not worth it
You mean google. This isn't the Nexus program or an HTC flagship.

Google called all the shots here even if its resembles other HTC phones.

Google doesn't call all the shots at all, not sure why you believe this. It resembles other HTC phones for a reason.

Google doesn't call all the shots at all, not sure why you believe this. It resembles other HTC phones for a reason.

Have you read anything about the Pixel phones or the Pixel lineup in general?

If it looks like HTC A9 than its because Google wanted it to look like the HTC A9. This isnt HTC's game and they are not even going to have branding on it.

Top Bottom