• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Is it possible that the bezel is simply necessary space for all the components inside? How many 5inch phones with high-end components have small bezels to match? The Nexus 5 comes to mind, but it had poor battery life, a somewhat crappy camera, and some build quality issues among other things.

Jeffrey

still wish they'd put capacitive buttons or something in that space. If they are gonna stick with AMOLED,

remember when nexus had that dumb little trackball?

RuGalz

Is it possible that the bezel is simply necessary space for all the components inside? How many 5inch phones with high-end components have small bezels to match? The Nexus 5 comes to mind, but it had poor battery life, a somewhat crappy camera, and some build quality issues among other things.

No we want 5" phone without bezel, have the best camera and have 4000mah battery. This is totally unacceptable.

edit: oh and cost no more than $400

wilflare

Why the switch?
I'm currently on TugaBrowser.

just want something that works - the JSwarts version that I'm using constantly crashes on Nougat.

oh and I meantersay - that battery life on Nougat ISN'T looking all that good.
i'm thinking whether to start using Greenify again :/

EDIT -- Chrome Beta - does it ever stop syncing? mine says "syncing to"
--- Is HP Print Service Plugin pre-installed for all 6Ps?

co1onel

do we have any renders or images of what the big pixel is gonna look like, or is it just gonna be a blown up of the 5"?
Android police says its just a bigger version of the same design, which is why they didn't bother making a separate render for it.

eh, to be fair, iphone battery has generally been good, although i hear the 6s isn't great.

They are boosting the batteries this year... with a trade off lol.

It's a shame most 'giant battery' phones typically are low powered or are carrier tied like the s7 active or moto z force.
Kinda easy to be "good" when you can't do jack shit with it outside of a monolith approval

Jeffrey

Kinda easy to be "good" when you can't do jack shit with it outside of a monolith approval

Well its a trade off.

Not everyone wants to debug what rogue process/app is killing my battery :p

Although ive had my share of problems on ios and not having good way to debug them was a pain and Geniuses were like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ buy a refurb.

Google doesn't call all the shots at all, not sure why you believe this. It resembles other HTC phones for a reason.

He's saying that the Google Pixel hardware is their own in-house design all the way through. But who's to say that this isn't a "rebranded" pixel phone that was formerly a Nexus, before the brand was killed off? The development of a phone still takes time and if they decided to kill Nexus in favor of Pixel in the last 6 months, there's no way this is a true Pixel phone.

In the end it doesn't matter who's to blame for the design. It's certainly not someone's masterpiece.

tzare

Anyone else getting ads on GAF? Using Chrome on my s7 edge. And while I'm browsing GAF it will suddenly go to some weird ad and it won't let me go back to GAF. Have to close tab and reopen. Getting very frustrating. Just started today.

Like some slot machine thing. Congrats your the xxxx visitor. Grrr just happened again posting this.
Use samsungs's own browser with Add block enabled.

My AT&T Note 4 finally got Marshmallow today, but after the upgrade it killed my 128 GB microSDHC Card. ARGH!!! :| I had pictures with my grandparents and recordings of his tales of when he was young. So many things. I can't lose them as they are really personal.

I am trying right now to recover all of my photos, pictures, and audio recordings. Is there a good tool to do it for cheap or better yet free. It has a hard time being seen by Windows 10 right now through.

Although I am using this http://www.stellarinfo.com/windows-data-recovery.php and it has been having some luck so far. But I will have to pay to actually recover the files?

Any other alternatives?

I really wish I could create threads at times like these. :(
i used Active File Recovery Pro once with great results for hdd that was damaged years ago. Maybe could work but not sure if would work on a sd card

wilflare

Use samsungs's own browser with Add block enabled.

i used Active File Recovery Pro once with great results for hdd that was damaged years ago. Maybe could work but not sure if would work on a sd card

are there any other options for adblock?
if only Chrome for Android supports extensions. ugh

Asgaro

I'm now balls deep into health apps.

- running with Runkeeper
- heart rate via Mio
- steps throughout the day via Pebble Time
- weight via Withings scale

Also gonna start soon with Pokemon Go now that the buddy system is coming. Will be even more incentive to run.

Really like how Google Fit aggregates all this data.

Though I have sometimes that Fit stops responding. Too much data to handle maybe...

Question: I don't see the 'active users in your area' feature? Do you get this option as a card?
It should be available in my country since a friend sees it.

bCEILyU.png

Quasar

Not sure. Health apps and my frustration with googles health support is the main reason I've considered jumping to an iPhone. Will I think cheap out though and buy a ipod touch instead. Iphones are just too expensive and I am just too invested in tne google ecosystem and I expect to be moreso with google home.

Quick question. How big of a deal is it to not have the Android updates day one like on the Nexus line? Security issues? Just some new features? For example if I got a One Plus 3 or other phone that is not the nexus.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Quick question. How big of a deal is it to not have the Android updates day one like on the Nexus line? Security issues? Just some new features? For example if I got a One Plus 3 or other phone that is not the nexus.

I mean it sucks, but it's not a massive deal breaker now that Android in general has matured.

Nougat hasn't radically changed anything other than shitty battery life for some people.

Honestly since Android 5.X we've been coasting for the average user. Especially since unlike iOS core applications and framework are updated independently via the play store.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
4h of SAT and that's with downloading a lot of apps and music, playing games, listening to a lot of music, etc. That's pretty cool, coming from my Moto X 2013 that only gave me 1h of SOT no matter what these days.

Everdred

Just ordered a OnePlus 3. A bit bummed I couldn't find a great 5" or smaller Android phone with 64GB+ of storage.

Moving on from Apple after I found myself scratching my head a lot with their output in hardware/software.

Any fans on this phone on here? What should I expect? Coming from an iPhone SE.
I'm on an iPhone SE too and I can't find a good phone less than 5. There are just no good options. I was tempted by NextBit Robin and OnePlus 3 but they're both bigger than I want.

So my Shield Tablet started doing ghost touches everywhere and one corner of the screen doesn't respond to touches at all. This sucks, it's unusable now.

I started using my old one from before the battery recall, but it's on KitKat and newest Shield Hub updates require Lollipop or higher, so it can't be used with the newest Geforce Experience.

I wonder if there's any more tablets coming.

New Android Police pixel prices rounded out with my own predictions. Still below launch prices from Apple, Samsung, HTC, Sony and LG even with the ugly ass premium Qualcomm is charging for the 821.

NO 64 GB MODEL

Pixel - 32GB $550 / 128 GB $650
Pixek XL - 32 GB $650 / 128 GB $750

Keep in mind the iPhone 7 Plus128 GB is $869 dollars. We all know how expensive the note 7 was before it got pulled too.

Hopefully the Google store offers financing like Verizon and Project Fi will.

Jigolo

New Android Police pixel prices rounded out with my own predictions.

NO 64 GB MODEL

Still below launch prices from Apple, Samsung, HTC, Sony and LG even with the ugly ass premium Qualcomm is charging for the 821.

Those are good prices. Would've imagined the exact same just $50 cheaper for each tier.

Snapdragon 821 confirmed. Huge marketing push and exclusive support and features. I like the sound of Google leaving cheap and their gloves coming off against everyone including their OEM partners.

The partners had their chance. They ruined it.

Hopefully google stays a good company if they gain serious marketshare. Sundar Pichai has been a pretty good leader so far.

So my LG G2 is finally starting to give out on me, some screen sensors are not responding to my touch. Looking for a new phone, any suggestions? I have been looking at the 6p, is it worth it or are there better choices?

Or should i wait it out and wait for other phones?

Edit: looked at the Axon, damn pretty good. Any reviews of it or impressions?

I don't know those rumored prices still seem high to me. Being cheaper than everybody else isn't exactly comforting because I personally feel that everybody else (Even Apple) are too expensive. I'm hoping that the prices are maybe like $450/$550 for Pixel and $550/$650 for Pixel XL. Realistically Ruddock only mentioned the $650 price for Pixel XL then speculated it may just be for the 32GB, but it could always end up being for the 128GB and the 32GB would be $100 cheaper

I don't know those rumored prices still seem high to me. Being cheaper than everybody else isn't exactly comforting because I personally feel that everybody else (Even Apple) are too expensive. I'm hoping that the prices are maybe like $450/$550 for Pixel and $550/$650 for Pixel XL. Realistically Ruddock only mentioned the $650 price for Pixel XL then speculated it may just be for the 32GB, but it could always end up being for the 128GB and the 32GB would be $100 cheaper

You're in a fantasy world. They are specifically stating Qualcomm is charging a huge premium for the 821 over the 820. You do realize that Sony, LG and HTC's phone divisions arent even fucking profitable?

New Android Police pixel prices rounded out with my own predictions. Still below launch prices from Apple, Samsung, HTC, Sony and LG even with the ugly ass premium Qualcomm is charging for the 821.

NO 64 GB MODEL

Keep in mind the iPhone 7 Plus128 GB is $869 dollars. We all know how expensive the note 7 was before it got pulled too.

Hopefully the Google store offers financing like Verizon and Project Fi will.

A 64GB Axon 7 for 400 is still a better deal than the equivalent XL. It's amazing what they have done.

You're in a fantasy world. They are specifically stating Qualcomm is charging a huge premium for the 821 over the 820. You do realize that Sony, LG and HTC's phone divisions arent even fucking profitable?
That has less to do with the pricing they use (Although it is one reason) and more to do with years of bad management and poor business decisions.

teiresias

So if the Pixels crap the bed this year, between the OP3 and the Axon 7 which seems to have the best dev support for vanilla ROMs, and which is easiest to root to do it?

I'd prefer to not have to resort to root and ROMs to get close-to vanilla Android, but I'm not feeling too confident about what we'll see from Google this year.

So if the Pixels crap the bed this year, between the OP3 and the Axon 7 which seems to have the best dev support for vanilla ROMs, and which is easiest to root to do it?

I'd prefer to not have to resort to root and ROMs to get close-to vanilla Android, but I'm not feeling too confident about what we'll see from Google this year.

OnePlus 3 is better for custom ROMs. They actively support the development of those as well - its own website has a forum for custom software. The only issue with OP3 was that it took them a month to release Dash Charge code, but now that they've done it it's a great device with lots of dev support.

Vanillalite

Pixel phones should be on point.

I'm just not sure for me if they are $250 better for less storage vs the OP3/Axon 7.

teiresias

I'm flying today and they've been actively making announcements concerning the Note 7 and putting restrictions on their use in flight.

Vanillalite

Oh these prices are in line with expectations, but I'm not sure how well they will sell without the obvious price advantage.

Jeffrey

I can totally see every new phone from Samsung pr requires mention of yes we doubled checked it doesn't explode this time. We promise!

Hope we get some confirmed news on the price before the October 4th event. I feel like if it it really does start at $550 I may just get an iPhone 7 instead since it would be cheaper with the deals carriers like AT&T are running. The 24 month agreement is the only con, but not like I'm going anywhere any time soon.

Told you guys this year's Nexus/pixel phones would be expensive as soon as Verizon was confirmed to be carrying them a couple of months ago. Right in line with what I expected.

Top Bottom