• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Noema

No reason to buy an expensive Nexus phone. If I'm paying premium pricing I'll go to Samsung, which has the best hardware and camera software out. Really ridiculous of Google to try the whole carrier thing again. It will flop and be under $500 by end of the year if they seriously price it at $650+

Sad but true.

Sad but true.

Yeah, if someone is going in T-Mobile and wants a high end phone, they aren't going home with a damn Nexus, Pixel, or whatever else they want to call it. They are going home with a Galaxy or Note. Otherwise, they will go to Iphone. These other companies need to stop pretending like they are wanted in the high end market. HTC's latest high end phone sold so bad, T-Mobile kicked them out and stopped selling them after a few weeks.

Wife has an LG G3 on AT&T and is constantly missing texts in group chats. She'll get probably 8 out of every 10 messages, and sometimes the missing ones pop up separately as from "anonymous", but most of the time she just doesn't get them. Default messaging app.

Any ideas?

Jeffrey

Wife has an LG G3 on AT&T and is constantly missing texts in group chats. She'll get probably 8 out of every 10 messages, and sometimes the missing ones pop up separately as from "anonymous", but most of the time she just doesn't get them. Default messaging app.

Any ideas?
try the official google messenger app?

How does one 'sell' a google nexus/pixel to the masses anyways? Hasn't its lineage always been a 'developer' phone?

The LG G2 which came out 3 years ago is still one of the best 1080p phones. Had a 3000 mAh battery and everything.

At least 3000 mAh should be standard. End of story.
Man that was a great phone, my touchscreen shit out randomly or else I'd still use it. Now I have a moto x pure and dont know where to go from here.

Noema

How does one 'sell' a google nexus/pixel to the masses anyways? Hasn't its lineage always been a 'developer' phone?

You can't. The genie is out of the bottle. Market forces and demand determine price. You just can't price a device in the premium bracket and see it it sticks. LG, Moto, Sony and HTC will have to learn this the hard way.

You can't. The genie is out of the bottle. Market forces and demand determine price. You just can't price a device in the premium bracket and see it it sticks. LG, Moto, Sony and HTC will have to learn this the hard way.

Samsung's going to have a hard lesson coming soon, when you under-design a $850 phone and it explodes like the Note 7 that immediately cheapens your brand.

But really Samsung has been shitting on the Note line after the 4 so I guess it's expected.

Any ideas?

I have G3. Never had issue with that but worst case scenario try google message.

Jeffrey

any good android wear watches with memory that let me dl my personal stuff on google music on there to listen to when i run (with BT headphones)?

New Android Police pixel prices rounded out with my own predictions. Still below launch prices from Apple, Samsung, HTC, Sony and LG even with the ugly ass premium Qualcomm is charging for the 821.

NO 64 GB MODEL

Pixel - 32GB $550 / 128 GB $650
Pixek XL - 32 GB $650 / 128 GB $750

Keep in mind the iPhone 7 Plus128 GB is $869 dollars. We all know how expensive the note 7 was before it got pulled too.

Hopefully the Google store offers financing like Verizon and Project Fi will.

RIP Pixel Phone, 2016-2016

RuGalz

Google isn't going to spend the amount of money Samsung spends in marketing to play the premium price game. So I'm going to be very happy to pick up Pixel for great price in a year and still have 2 years of support.

teiresias

If those prices are right I'm likely to go straight for an OP3. The renders and storage sizes certainly don't scream "I'm worth this price" - direct from Google or not.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Google isn't going to spend the amount of money Samsung spends in marketing to play the premium price game. So I'm going to be very happy to pick up Pixel for great price in a year and still have 2 years of support.

I mean I guess?

If you wait a whole year though it's not gonna be top dog hardware anymore.

Sure it'll still be a great phone, but in a year you can get 2017 specs in the new mid range for the same price. Idk....

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Honestly I'm most interested in Android DayDream. I fiddled with my G3 long enough for it to work again.

Maybe I skip this year all together to get a 2017 powered phone with DayDream support that might run VR better with a 830 vs 820 chip.

RuGalz

I mean I guess?

If you wait a whole year though it's not gonna be top dog hardware anymore.

Sure it'll still be a great phone, but in a year you can get 2017 specs in the new mid range for the same price. Idk....

My basic requirements are: as close to Nexus 5 in physical size as possible, have an accurate color screen (most mid range phones immediately fail in this category), CM supported so I can continue to get security updates past EOL. Having the absolute latest hardware is secondary to me because everything I use on the phone runs just fine on 3-4 years old CPU, the problem is lack of RAM.

Volotaire

Honestly I'm most interested in Android DayDream. I fiddled with my G3 long enough for it to work again.

Maybe I skip this year all together to get a 2017 powered phone with DayDream support that might run VR better with a 830 vs 820 chip.

I think I'll be waiting on a 2017 phone too. There is so much potential and and so many advances coming next year.

Apt101

What is, hands down, objectively, the best Android phone that's roughly the size of an iPhone 6s? I am bored with my iPhone and I've only had it for like a year and a half. Thinking about going back to Android.

Jeffrey

What is, hands down, objectively, the best Android phone that's roughly the size of an iPhone 6s? I am bored with my iPhone and I've only had it for like a year and a half. Thinking about going back to Android.

nothing is that small anymore.

wait for the pixel/nexus in a few weeks?

this_guy

Galaxy S7. It has a bigger screen (5.1 inches) but smaller bezels so the size is not too far off from iPhone 6s. Solid battery life with the best screen and camera on the market.

Huawei Honor 8 is a great phone for the price ($400) but Huawei's skin tries to imitate IOS.

GS7 indeed.

as close as it gets in size.

CnJQfZh.jpg

Jeffrey

people speaking of getting loaner phones, how is Samsung with setting up phones? Do they use the normal google 'tap to setup' or do they have their own thing?

Android has always been a bit of a pain getting stuff up and running without going to 3rd parties.

people speaking of getting loaner phones, how is Samsung with setting up phones? Do they use the normal google 'tap to setup' or do they have their own thing?

Android has always been a bit of a pain getting stuff up and running without going to 3rd parties.
both.

their own thing does supplemental things like copy your text messages, documents, photos, music, etc...

Oh yeah? Well what Android phone has the best camera for under $400? I know the Galaxy S7 is top-of-the-line, but it's definitely more than that.

There is no hands down opinion right now due to everything out having pros and cons. Maybe when the google pixel phones launch in 3 weeks.

Today I would say HTC 10 and some will say s7. In a month I would say Google Pixel. Its worth waiting to find out.

Quasar

Unless they manage to capture the attention of non-Geeks in a way Nexus phones have never achieved, the Pixel siblings are DOA. I don't think the Google brand has enough leverage to get people to buy expensive hardware. People don't think Google when they buy phones.

Certainly if it has all the components that everyone else uses and doesn't have exclusive software features of some kind its really pretty hard to justify one over another phone.

I'm new to having an android device and smart devices in general and I'm having an issue. Every time I enter a search in the Chrome browser app it asks me to confirm which account i'm using or to open up an incognito tab for the search. After that it generates the search results as normal. It doesn't take me to any other screen and as far as I can tell nothing has changed. When I click a direct link such as in my favorites it doesn't do this, just going directly to my requested destination. Any ideas on how to stop this? It only just started doing this out of nowhere.

I think the prices for the Pixel are crazy.. Sorry. The Nexus 6P wasn't that high so unless that camera is reaching Galaxy and iPhone levels and everything spec wise about the phone is right, then that price looks really steep right now. Im only willing to get that phone via a carrier at this point and I hope T-Mobile will at least carry it

tzare

if google plans to price Pixel phones like that they better have some 'non stock' extras available as well as some HW extras too: waterproofing for example.
They also need to step up the camera, it was good on latest nexus, but afaik it is kinda slow to focus compared to Samsung or Apple

tzare

I wonder if maybe at those prices Google throws in free DayDream bunduru with headset and touch wand?

maybe include a smartwatch (pixel watch??) :p

I mean, 821 SOC is barely an improvement over 820 and next year seems to come with quite imporved socs, considering next round of flaghsips is usually February..... we will see.

Google needs daydream support on these phones. To achieve daydream support it has a much more expensive processor than the galaxy s7 etc.

If the phone was cheaper and didn't have daydream support everyone would be laughing and bitching about that.

We also don't know how expensive the flash memory is in these phones. Maybe that is fast for once.

The material bill for Google is probably way different than last year.

this_guy

Google needs daydream support on these phones. To achieve daydream support it has a much more expensive processor than the galaxy s7 etc.

The material bill for Google is probably way different than last year.

If the phone was cheaper and didn't have daydream support everyone would be laughing and bitching about that.

We also don't know how expensive the flash memory is in these phones. Maybe that is fast for once.

ZTE Axon 7 is daydream ready and uses the same Snapdragon as the S7. Surely ZTE has been working with Google to know what the compatibility requirements are.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Axon can't keep up. Their own website now lists direct orders from them as coming in 3rd wave mid October.

Hopefully once BB, Amazon, New Egg and the like restock it won't be so bad.

The longer they push the more competitors they will have to face. I want one on Verizon soon too.

Jeffrey

It is worth noting that the pixel will be the only flagship phone this year without SD card support (depending on if you count Oneplus3 or not).

The exclusive tweaks on the software side really must be truly mindblowing, because otherwise idk.

I'm new to having an android device and smart devices in general and I'm having an issue. Every time I enter a search in the Chrome browser app it asks me to confirm which account i'm using or to open up an incognito tab for the search. After that it generates the search results as normal. It doesn't take me to any other screen and as far as I can tell nothing has changed. When I click a direct link such as in my favorites it doesn't do this, just going directly to my requested destination. Any ideas on how to stop this? It only just started doing this out of nowhere.

Can you post a screenshot of this (remember to crop out your contact info)? I've never seen this before.

Top Bottom