• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The longer they push the more competitors they will have to face. I want one on Verizon soon too.

To be fair other companies are having the same issue.

OP3 was sold out just like the Axon.

Mid range companies just don't seem to be big enough or have enough cash/pull to increase manufacturing fast enough.

Jeffrey

the biggest issue with all the cheap chinese phones is the lack of proper Verizon support. Probably not worth the effort for the companies but Verizon/Sprint is a large customer base in the US.

Jeffrey

http://www.androidauthority.com/1-5-million-honor-8-hansdets-sold-just-two-months-715985/

Huawei’s Honor 8 may only have gone on sale back in July, but the company has so far racked up 1.5 million units worth of sales in the last two months. Honor’s Vice President Zhao Ming made the announcement during a recent press event in China.

Rather impressively, these sales figures come only since the handset’s more limited retail launch in China. The Honor 8 has only recently gone on sale in Europe and North America, which could give the handset another sales boost in the closing quarter of the year.

As the same event, Huawei also announced that it has just broken the 100 million sales milestone for its Honor sub-brand. The inexpensive sub-brand has been around for 999 days, and has been a major factor behind Huawei’s ability to expand outside of its home Chinese market. The Honor brand now looks set to surpass 150 million sales sometime next year.

Smartphone-shipments-biggest-brands-Q1-2016.png

yeah, huawei is coming for your lunch, curious how honor 8 is doing. seems readily available depending on color. The local best buy has some in stock.

If ZTE and oneplus keep having stock issues, huawei really should take advantage of this.

Ryne

yeah, huawei is coming for your lunch, curious how honor 8 is doing. seems readily available depending on color. The local best buy has some in stock.

If ZTE and oneplus keep having stock issues, huawei really should take advantage of this.

I really want that Honor 8 blue, but BB doesn't ship to Canada and that's a BB exclusive.

Huawei doesn't want my money :(. This will be my first phone from them, hope it's good. Coming from a zenfone 2, which broke when I dropped it on the bed.

I'm not to keen on the white/gold one

then again i think all gold phones look really tacky

Have you seen video of it? It looks pretty sexy in reviews. It's a really light gold. I'm usually not a fan of gold either.

I still have this Axon 7 I've been using for the last week. I've become a pretty big fan of it too.

I like the OP3 gold. It's very subtle which to me is important. I hate the tacky blinding gold colors. I do wish the front was black though. There's something irritating about a white front to me. I think its seeing all the sensors. Motorola is the worst culprit of this.

Admodieus

It should be fairly obvious that Google is sick and tired of other OEMs and is trying to make a phone that can stand toe-to-toe with the iPhone in terms of user experience in order to give Android a good name. These phones are going to be pushed heavily by US carriers with subsidies to offer. Nexus phones never escaped the early adopter/hardcore despite the affordability due to their limited availability (online only).

The one remaining problem is that Google still relies on Qualcomm for their SoCs. It's the one area they cannot hope to compete with Apple in without several years of ramp up and buying up foundries/partnering with Intel.

For now what are the best Android phones to use on Verizon's network? S7, HTC 10 and 6P? I was looking at Sony and Axon and OP3 and it didnt look like they can be used.

Brandwin

Not sure what the issue is, never had the problem until today, but using Google Messenger with Nexus 6P and now when my wife replies to a group message (same group message we have used for months) I am getting an error back to just our solo thread saying “couldn't download message, tap to download” but nothing happens. I am getting the other party in the groups messages and my wife and the other party can see mine and hers, but I can't see hers.

Any idea why? I haven’t changed any settings and like I said, this was never an issue before. I tried to clear the cache and data and nothing.

Thanks!

EDIT: Seems to be only when my wife replies to the group message. We have tried two different group messages and I get the other parties text, but when my wife replies, her says "couldn't download" and goes individually to me. But the other people in those groups are getting her messages. Thoughts?

Saiyan-Rox

Have you seen video of it? It looks pretty sexy in reviews. It's a really light gold. I'm usually not a fan of gold either.

I still have this Axon 7 I've been using for the last week. I've become a pretty big fan of it too.

I like the OP3 gold. It's very subtle which to me is important. I hate the tacky blinding gold colors. I do wish the front was black though. There's something irritating about a white front to me. I think its seeing all the sensors. Motorola is the worst culprit of this.

I just did there not and I take it back the gold is actually pretty nice and not as in your face as other companies gold. Still like the silver better though.

Have to say the turn around for the hate of OP devices (not company) in here is surprising me lol

RiP Nexus

Brandwin

Flamingo is a great Twitter app. I was using this for my daily Twitter and Tweetings for real time push notifications, but lately push notifications for Tweetings have been hit or miss, sometimes they come through and sometimes they don't, not idea why.

So what I am curious about, for those who use Flamingo, what type of notification settings are you guys using? How is the battery drain with notifications and Flamingo?

Thanks!

Jeffrey

played around with a honor 8 at best buy during lunch. build quality is great. Still not a huge fan of emui mostly because it tries it's hardest to look like ios, yet not all the interactions are the same (uses back button vs swipe back on ios). Just feels odd.

I just did there not and I take it back the gold is actually pretty nice and not as in your face as other companies gold. Still like the silver better though.

Have to say the turn around for the hate of OP devices (not company) in here is surprising me lol

RiP Nexus

Yeah, OnePlus actually even put a faint gold trim around the fingerprint scanner. They put a lot of love into the look of the phone.

The turnaround isn't surprising, because they fixed two of their biggest wrongs with OP2. No more invites and they also became open to the developer community again. It helps that the phone isn't stuck with a horrible 810 processor too.

Pixel still seems like a horrible name. I wouldn't tell people my phone is named Pixel. Sounds like I'm Peter Pan.

What are the best phones you can get with removable battery and SD slot?

I have used a Moto G4 for 2 months. An easy root method is still not out. I can't remember the last time I used a phone without root for this long. I am considering "downgrade" to a Samsung Note 4.

Jeffrey

no one is buying a google 'premium' phone like barely anyone bought their other pixel stuff.

if you are introducing a new flagship android phone today you either go low price with top of the line specs ala axon 7 (lesser so with honor 8)... and thats about it?

people will probably still keep buying samsung stuff even after the recall.

And if people really cared about timely updates and smooth performance, they've already preordered the iphone 7.

velociraptor

I'm in the market for a new phone.

I currently have an iPhone 4 but I fucking hate the fact I have to connect to iTunes if I want to put files on.

I want something where I can drag and drop at will similar to a USB stick. The ability to perform backups would also be nice. A good battery life is also important. My iPhone 4, surprisingly, lasts me the entire day. It was 100% in the morning, and 36% now about 13 hours later.

My budget is £300-400.

What is the best phone for this price range? The OnePlusOne 3? I'm also after at least 32GB of storage space.

Jeffrey

got an email from newegg, honor 8 for $360 with code BTEENFG22 (white) BTEENFG23 (black)

free JBL bluetooth headset and a case.

Good price.

no one is buying a google 'premium' phone like barely anyone bought their other pixel stuff.

if you are introducing a new flagship android phone today you either go low price with top of the line specs ala axon 7 (lesser so with honor 8)... and thats about it?

people will probably still keep buying samsung stuff even after the recall.

And if people really cared about timely updates and smooth performance, they've already preordered the iphone 7.

I don't know why Google thinks they can charge a premium? Shitty camera software, usually bad or average battery life, and a resale value that drops significantly within a year. Like I said before, noone is going into a carrier store and thinking they want a damn Nexus phone. If they go into stores it's to buy an Iphone or Samsung at the high end or cheaper brands on the low end.

CronoShot

What are the best phones you can get with removable battery and SD slot?

I have used a Moto G4 for 2 months. An easy root method is still not out. I can't remember the last time I used a phone without root for this long. I am considering "downgrade" to a Samsung Note 4.

Going from a Moto G4 to a Note 4 is a pretty big upgrade I would say. The Note 4 is just older, but it's otherwise better in every way.

Anyway, the only flagships this year with both are the LG G5 and the V20. Most would say stay away from the G5, so the V20 is basically it.

I don't know why Google thinks they can charge a premium? Shitty camera software, usually bad or average battery life, and a resale value that drops significantly within a year. Like I said before, noone is going into a carrier store and thinking they want a damn Nexus phone. If they go into stores it's to buy an Iphone or Samsung at the high end or cheaper brands on the low end.

Yeah, it's going to be a really tough sell for me, and I've owned every Nexus including the overpriced whale known as the Nexus 6.

We practically know everything about the Pixel phones, and there's no sign of any secret sauce that would put it above other lower cost alternatives. It really sounds like Google's going to leverage the Pixel phones being their Daydream flagships as their biggest selling points...

Saiyan-Rox

I actually don't mind the pixel name whatsoever in fact I kinda like it.

but with the vet bills recently and me having to pay every month for medication for my dog now on top of everything else it'll be a push to get one.

not that I need one I'm sure my OP3 will go a pretty lengthy time.

Jeffrey

Is the regular Pixel even going to be Day Dream compatible? I thought I read somewhere that 2K resolution was required for Day Dream.

doesn't seem like there is a resolution requirement. Arstechnica was talking about some of the daydream api in their Nougat review.

atm, it seems like AMOLED display (for low latency) and SD820 or newer is the requirements. Maybe some sensors too?

I feel like at this point if your phone is ready for daydream, you'd probably advertise it, which makes you wonder why out of all the 2016 820 phones atm, only axon 7 and zenphone 3 premium are confirmed daydream ready?

Moreche

As much as I love my One Plus 3, I'm looking forward to pixel phone, chrome cast and Google Home.
But I've absolutely no idea HW Google are going to sell this over iPhone and Samsungs. I am now convinced that the market is now cheap android phones that use iOS skins on android and Apple or Samsung.

No Love

Banned

I have a Quartz Gray myself and an Ion Gold Axon 7 I bought for my friend a few days ago. The Ion Gold is really, really sexy. Highly recommend it.

Quasar

Well I think they could, if it really was designed from the ground up to be such a phone. I just dont think this years pixel is based on all the rumours. Which strikes me as u fortunate as that harms the pixel brand. Doesnt even seem to have a pixel lightbar.

Moreche

What I don't understand is the point of the pixel phone. There's no way it'll be as stable as iOS considering how funky android can be and surely it'll not have the features of a Samsung Galaxy.

Sid

I'm in the market for a new phone.

I currently have an iPhone 4 but I fucking hate the fact I have to connect to iTunes if I want to put files on.

I want something where I can drag and drop at will similar to a USB stick. The ability to perform backups would also be nice. A good battery life is also important. My iPhone 4, surprisingly, lasts me the entire day. It was 100% in the morning, and 36% now about 13 hours later.

My budget is £300-400.

What is the best phone for this price range? The OnePlusOne 3? I'm also after at least 32GB of storage space.
You should go for the Samsung Note 4 or 5
if you find a good deal on it but if you want something newer go for the Axon 7.

Jeffrey

All 200 people who demand "stock" Android will be thrilled

But stock android isn't enough to justify the price of this pixel phone.
For me, stock android is a hobbyist build.

The people that want 'stock' android weren't complaining about 'man I wish only the google phone cost more."

At some point Oneplus 3 already took their lunch and became the 'hobby choice' phone with their impressive support for the community this time (they just released the api for dash charging and the camera i think?) and is loved by XDA.

Speaking of which, apparently with some handy work some dudes on XDA figured out how to get dual sims working + SD card support at the same time for the axon 7.

Seems like a simple DYI if you are a situation where you need dual sim.

Quasar

All 200 people who demand "stock" Android will be thrilled

Well given the talk of it being customised I'm not sure stock is the right word. But I'd certainly like to see tighter/better integration with chromecast and google home (and other google products) than you presumably get with aosp. Of course I also would have made the pixel launcher exclusive to pixel phones.

Top Bottom