• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

thats old news now

the new news is the Tab S got Marshmallow

i thought Samsung didn't support Tablets for more than a year... wtf!?

Faceless, why hasn't my girlfriends niece had her galaxy tab 4 updated to Marshmallow yet than??

Now I got an 8 year jealous of my nieces because they all have Nexus 7s with Marshmallow!

Have they ever given a good reason why? The hardware is in the phone and turned on in other countries, but in the US its blocked.

Also does this mean sites have review units now?

When they unveiled the Z5 last year, they said it was a business decision to leave out the fingerprint sensor in the US. That points to licensing costs that they want to save. Since the power button is the fingerprint scanner and they didn't bother to produce a different SKU for the US market, it can be enabled by flashing the international ROM on the device. At least it worked for the Z5, I think.

Faceless, why hasn't my girlfriends niece had her galaxy tab 4 updated to Marshmallow yet than??

Now I got an 8 year jealous of my nieces because they all have Nexus 7s with Marshmallow!

GGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mindwipe

http://www.androidcentral.com/sony-xperia-xz-second-opinion

Still no fingerprint scanner from Sony.

There are $100 phones with them now. Sony pls.

I'm struggling to see the signs of "brightness". There are an awful lot of fuckups on that device that weren't forced. It's not competitive with other high end handsets. The camera is better, but not good and it really, really needs to be actually good (and that's going to involve doing things like having a functional HDR mode that doesn't require the screen to be unlocked FFS!). The NFC thing is stupid. The screen is lagging behind. The bottom bezel was designed by someone without hands.

I'd love to feel enthusiastic about the X series, but I see no positive signs whatsoever at the moment.

Saiyan-Rox

These renders from a case manufacturer for the Pixel just appeared on my Google Now

http://wccftech.com/google-pixel-leaked-renders/

Dunno the website at all but figured i'd post anyway

Google-Pixel-Phone-2-e1473621546869.jpg

Notice how the clock time is 1.11? 1st of November launch perhaps?

Nikodemos

Any info about a new Xperia Z-something (or X-something) Tablet Compact? The Z3 Tablet Compact is nice but a bit old by now. And it doesn't support Vulkan (Adreno 330).

I kinda want a small tablet, but not an Apple fan and I definitely don't want to give Samsung my money.

Mindwipe

Any info about a new Xperia Z-something (or X-something) Tablet Compact? The Z3 Tablet Compact is nice but a bit old by now. And it doesn't support Vulkan (Adreno 330).

I kinda want a small tablet, but not an Apple fan and I definitely don't want to give Samsung my money.

There was no sign whatsoever at IFA (they actually had a fair amount of Z4 tablets on the stand, despite the age of that device). I doubt it any time soon.

That new Huawei 2016 Nexus 7 is your best bet I imagine if the rumours are true.

Nikodemos

That new Huawei 2016 Nexus 7 is your best bet I imagine if the rumours are true.
I suspect that's just hear-say. All signs point to the Nexus nameplate being discontinued in favour of an all-Pixel line, and that brings with it something I don't want, namely high prices.

The Z4 is a nicely-appointed tablet, but it has that garbage 810. I'd rather pick an ancient Lumia 2520 over it, if ever offered a choice.

VoxPop

These renders from a case manufacturer for the Pixel just appeared on my Google Now

http://wccftech.com/google-pixel-leaked-renders/

Dunno the website at all but figured i'd post anyway

Notice how the clock time is 1.11? 1st of November launch perhaps?

Good god. HTC trying to bring down Google with them. What were they thinking making a phone that looks like that. Even more ridiculous at 499+.

They should price that thing at 299-399 or its DOA.

Good god. HTC trying to bring down Google with them. What were they thinking making a phone that looks like that. Even more ridiculous at 499+.

They should price that thing at 299-399 or its DOA.

It's in a case, and more importantly, that's a fan-created render that the case manufacturer co-opted.

I agree about pricing, though. They need to keep last year's pricing, but I don't see that happening.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So the verdict is that the iPhone 7 camera isn't a huge leap. It's now about even with the S7/Note 7 cameras. And perhaps still not as good in low light. Damn Samsung, you did good with those cameras!

Still didn't stop the verge from using camera lenses as the backdrop to the iPhone 7 review tho.

RuGalz

So the verdict is that the iPhone 7 camera isn't a huge leap. It's now about even with the S7/Note 7 cameras. And perhaps still not as good in low light. Damn Samsung, you did good with those cameras!

Still didn't stop the verge from using camera lenses as the backdrop to the iPhone 7 review tho.

Camera sensor tech has hit a wall and are limited by physics at this point. Any improvements will be marginal at best and most of the people won't be able to tell the difference on a phone size screen anyway. By next year, even mid range phones aren't going to be that far behind from flagships unless it's artificially limited in software, imo.

Quixzlizx

Damn, I guess I should jump on the Axon 7 considering the pricing for the Pixel phones. I really wanted to switch to Google Fi, but maybe I can stick with my struggle reception if the Axon actually does get call/text over wi-fi support.

Is the Axon certified for Band 12 on Tmo?

Curse you Google, I just wanted a 6P with an s820 for the same launch price.

Camera sensor tech has hit a wall and are limited by physics at this point. Any improvements will be marginal at best and most of the people won't be able to tell the difference on a phone size screen anyway. By next year, even mid range phones aren't going to be that far behind from flagship unless it's artificially limited in software, imo.

You're exactly right.

There's a reason Apple went with the dual camera gimmick. That gives them a clearer path for camera upgrades, year over year.

Hell, even the new Pixel phones apparently use an slightly updated version of last year's sensor. The return of OIS will be nice, though.

RuGalz

Damn, I guess I should jump on the Axon 7 considering the pricing for the Pixel phones. I really wanted to switch to Google Fi, but maybe I can stick with my struggle reception if the Axon actually does get call/text over wi-fi support.

Is the Axon certified for Band 12 on Tmo?

Been looking into this, supposedly B12 and VoLTE works. Wifi calling is still in the works. I'm going to wait until Wifi call support is in before pulling the trigger for a relative. Anything could cause it to fall through and it will probably be cheaper by BF anyway.

VoxPop

Sarcasm...

Wait? Your judging a phone by its looks in a case?

Muwahahha

Vyse The Legend said:
It's in a case, and more importantly, that's a fan-created render that the case manufacturer co-opted.

I agree about pricing, though. They need to keep last year's pricing, but I don't see that happening.

Nope, judging it on every render that has come out and the ugly phone that's under the case. That has got to be the second ugliest phone of 2016.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
So I could theoretically get between 5 to 6hrs of SOT with my 6P and that's mostly with playing games and browsing but I was on Wi-Fi so that probably helped a bit.

Jeffrey

wonder how samsung is gonna push note 7 after the recall business is all done. no one is gonna buy it after all the horror stories on the news and the airline bans.

Huge price cut? ill take a note 7 for $400

Brandwin

Can't get into phone after factory reset *HELP*!!!!

So I wanted to do a factory resrt on my phone. I am going through set up and I get to the point where it asks for login. So I sign in with my gmail account. I get an error that says “please sign in using the owners account for this device” I google for advice and apparently if I recently changed my password (which I did yesterday) I am going to have to wait a 72 hour period before I can access my phone? I guess it’s in place for security measures against a thief? But how would I have known this? Now I have to wait up to 3 days before I can use my phone? I don’t have a backup phone. WTF!?!?!

Nitsuj23

Kind of a stupid question...

I just downloaded the Pixel Launcher APK on my s7 Edge. I've been using the Google Now Launcher for awhile so swiping right from the homescreen to get to the Google Now page is ingrained in my brain. With the Pixel Launcher, I'm not able to swipe left or right to bring up Google Now, is this normal?

When I tap and hold on the homescreen I see the "Wallpapers", "Widgets", and "Settings" icons. In settings, I see a "Show Google app" option that says "When you swipe left from main Home screen" and that is turned on.

I'm sitting here swiping left and right but I cannot get Google Now to display. I'm wondering if this Launcher is not optimized for the s7? Or maybe I'm just dumb?

Hoping someone can provide some insight. Thanks!

Kind of a stupid question...

I just downloaded the Pixel Launcher APK on my s7 Edge. I've been using the Google Now Launcher for awhile so swiping right from the homescreen to get to the Google Now page is ingrained in my brain. With the Pixel Launcher, I'm not able to swipe left or right to bring up Google Now, is this normal?

When I tap and hold on the homescreen I see the "Wallpapers", "Widgets", and "Settings" icons. In settings, I see a "Show Google app" option that says "When you swipe left from main Home screen" and that is turned on.

I'm sitting here swiping left and right but I cannot get Google Now to display. I'm wondering if this Launcher is not optimized for the s7? Or maybe I'm just dumb?

Hoping someone can provide some insight. Thanks!

Google Now on the Pixel Launcher requires you being rooted and installing it as a system app. Otherwise, Now does not work.

Jeffrey

seems like s7edge are exploding now too?

clearly apple put their R&D money to instead of upgrading the iphone design into corporate sabotage instead.

anyone run into an issue where their default payment method disappeared? i've noticed a few days ago my card disappeared off the play store but payments.google.com still shows it. i've gone and contacted google about it and they are looking into it.

Nitsuj23

Google Now on the Pixel Launcher requires you being rooted and installing it as a system app. Otherwise, Now does not work.

Bummer :/

I just did a quick read about system apps vs. user apps. I kind of understand the difference. I'm curious why being a system app would allow the swipe to work, though? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'd just like to know why system apps can provide that functionality while user apps cannot?

Thanks again!

Top Bottom