• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

Bummer :/

I just did a quick read about system apps vs. user apps. I kind of understand the difference. I'm curious why being a system app would allow the swipe to work, though? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'd just like to know why system apps can provide that functionality while user apps cannot?

Thanks again!

Probably for security reasons. Sony's launcher is an exception but they probably worked with google and that is on the system level.

It's the reason why nova launcher or others doesn't have the option for 'swipe' for google now.

google now launcher is the only exception.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Damn, I guess I should jump on the Axon 7 considering the pricing for the Pixel phones. I really wanted to switch to Google Fi, but maybe I can stick with my struggle reception if the Axon actually does get call/text over wi-fi support.

How is Axon with updates? Will it get N within 12 months?

wilflare

If your phone is rooted, install something like Wakelock Detector to monitor your apps and see if there's a faulty one that keep sucking the battery life.

I was actually thinking of installing Greenify and see how it goes. bleh. thought I left that all behind with the Note3

---
on a separate note, anyone still using a Note5? why does the Galaxy App Store randomly install/update apps? it downloaded things like Car Mode and Good Luck out of the blue ._.

this_guy

How is Axon with updates? Will it get N within 12 months?

ZTE is promising to be the first phone with daydream support so I'd imagine it's a priority for them. As for updates, last year's Axon Pro received Marshmallow in February which is inline with other Android Flagships. For reference the OnePlus 2 didn't receive Marshmallow until June. Axon Pro has also been receiving monthly security updates so that's a good sign.

Hopefully the relaunched not exploding Note 7s will go for a discount after the fiasco.

Brandwin

I was told this on the google forums, so hopefully this afternoon I am back in business. Also an FYI, reset your phone from settings and not recovery mode.

It should be 24 hours from the time of your password change - so hopefully you'll be able to log in within a few hours.
To avoid this in the future, be sure to initiate the factory reset option from within Android (Settings > Backup & Reset > Factory Data Reset). Since you have to authenticate to your device first (by unlocking your lockscreen), the phone knows that it is you requesting the reset and will unbind the device from your account. As you found, resetting the phone from recovery trips the Factory Reset Protection to prevent a thief from being able to easily wipe and use/sell your device

I wouldn't buy an axon for daydream yet...

Sure for battery, price, processor but when it comes to the people that care about daydream one should wait for Google's announcement. Then we can understand more about the hardware daydream support in the 821.

It may not matter or it may but it's probably worth waiting for the info. Unless I'm mistaken and there is no Axon model with the 821.

Jeffrey

huh? do you have a link?

https://www.classaction.com/news/exploding-galaxy-edge-s7-causes-3rd-degree-burns-man/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17721...in-teachers-hands-in-the-middle-of-busy-cafe/

were the 2 i saw on front page of android subreddit.

I wouldn't buy an axon for daydream yet...

Sure for battery, price, processor but when it comes to the people that care about daydream one should wait for Google's announcement. Then we can understand more about the hardware daydream support in the 821.

It may not matter or it may but it's probably worth waiting for the info. Unless I'm mistaken and there is no Axon model with the 821.

people shouldn't be buying a phone just for VR regardless. I mean a daydream capable phone already means it got the specs and the screen so its a good phone.

If you are just into a VR thing, best put that $400 on a psVR if those are not sold out.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Google Wallpapers is coming

pixel-wp-02.jpg

apk at link, sideload at own risk

wonder how samsung is gonna push note 7 after the recall business is all done. no one is gonna buy it after all the horror stories on the news and the airline bans.

Huge price cut? ill take a note 7 for $400

how are they gonna sell the phone that people don't even want to turn in even though it could explode?

yeah, i don't think they'll have as hard of a time at it as you think

remember that French remote disabling talk?
Samsung will limit the batteries of South Korean Note 7 smartphones to 60% of their capacity following a recall of the devices.

The firm asked for Note 7s to be returned following cases of phones that exploded during or after charging.

An ad announcing the move appeared on the front page of the JoongAng Daily newspaper.

The software update to limit batteries seems intended to provoke users who haven't yet returned their handsets.It will begin to be rolled out from 20 September, the ad says.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37349319

Jeffrey

It comes with a cheap screen protector in box. I think she would be fine with a cheap tpu case off of Amazon.
It comes with one out of the box. I've been using it fine. Phone dropped off a counter with it on with no damage lol.

Shit is one tank of a phone which is surprising. Chinese phones often cheap out on build material.

No Love

Banned
It comes with a cheap screen protector in box. I think she would be fine with a cheap tpu case off of Amazon.

Blew my mind that the Axon 7 came with a case AND a screen protector.

Honestly ZTE has shocked me with their offerings this year, the value and quality they put into their products feels like how everyone else should've been doing it all along. And after seeing all this Note 7 BS I'm so glad I didn't waste the extra money on one.

Blew my mind that the Axon 7 came with a case AND a screen protector.

Honestly ZTE has shocked me with their offerings this year, the value and quality they put into their products feels like how everyone else should've been doing it all along. And after seeing all this Note 7 BS I'm so glad I didn't waste the extra money on one.

Yeah, I like the phone. Just waiting on that T-Mobile wifi calling update now.

Jeffrey

Has anyone received the latest Axon 7 update? It's supposed to release any day now.

nope. but if its anything like the EU update, its mostly some minor maintenance stuff. (notification bell is still a thing).

Definitely won't hear stuff about nougat until Google is talking about daydream again I bet.

Has anyone received the latest Axon 7 update? It's supposed to release any day now.

It hasn't released yet. ZTE said soon last week, but their definition of soon is definitely different than mine.

nope. but if its anything like the EU update, its mostly some minor maintenance stuff. (notification bell is still a thing).

Definitely won't hear stuff about nougat until Google is talking about daydream again I bet.

Rumor is it might have the T-Mobile wifi calling stuff included.

Jeffrey

Best not to buy ANY samsung phones right now. Expect some formal apology with some hefty price slashing across the board.

speaking of which, gaf seemed to love calling verge apple fanboys, yet missed the memo that s7 edge and bomba note 7 both scored higher than any iphone ever.

How's the signal strength on the Axon7s? Seems like a lot of complaints.

I'm on AT&T, hasn't been an issue in my day to day, but I live in well coverage.

Best not to buy ANY samsung phones right now. Expect some formal apology with some hefty price slashing across the board.

speaking of which, gaf seemed to love calling verge apple fanboys, yet missed the memo that s7 edge and bomba note 7 both scored higher than any iphone ever.

I'm on AT&T, hasn't been an issue in my day to day, but I live in well coverage.

yeah, after half a decade of obvious and transpoarently ridiculous BS, them ranking two phones highly is some sort of proof againt years of evidence to the contrary... uh-huh... *nods*

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Hi guys. Talking about battery life? no, well here :D

This ZUK Z2 is a beast for 300USD (even less if you're lucky). Pretty happy with it
Nice and the phone is quite affordable too with nice specs overall.

So many good phone came out since 6P release date but I'm quite please with it so the envy to get instead another device is quite tame.

Top Bottom