• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

I turned the Edge screen off. I wanted the extra half inch of screen real estate and I'm pretty happy with it. It's not vanilla android, but it's largely inoffensive. It does run pretty warm though.

Even with turning the edge off, my fingers still hit the sides when I'm trying to hold the phone side ways and watch videos or play games. Also get random freezes and lockups once in awhile on it, where nothing is responsive for a few seconds.

RuGalz

Even with turning the edge off, my fingers still hit the sides when I'm trying to hold the phone side ways and watch videos or play games. Also get random freezes and lockups once in awhile on it, where nothing is responsive for a few seconds.

but you hate bezels

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Any news on Nougat for the Motorola X Play?

Jeffrey

Any news on Nougat for the Motorola X Play?

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/09/27/moto-z-moto-g4-nougat-update-release-date-q4/

According to a Motorola spokesperson, consumers can “expect to see Android N on the Moto Z family and Moto G4 beginning in Q4.” Of course, Q4 starts in a couple of days and lasts through the end of the year, so that means you should have the update fairly soon on your Moto Z, Moto Z Force, Moto Z Play, Moto G4, or Moto G4 Plus.

But wait, what about all of their other phones, like the Moto X Pure Edition or previous Moto G lines? We don’t have specifics at this time. However, Motorola tells us that they “know upgrades are about getting it right and making sure the phone performance remains the best it can be,” and will “share upgrade plans for other products and more specific timing later.”

im gonna guess... early 2017.

Chinner

Banned
The S7 Edge is my first Samsung phone, and my second Android phone. I'm actually really happy with it, but I have the global version.

It does really seem that the snapdragon version is just a legit worse phone. Mine has been responsive with great battery life, which isn't always the case with the snapdragon.

What's stopping Samsung from using exynos in US?

The S7 Edge is my first Samsung phone, and my second Android phone. I'm actually really happy with it, but I have the global version.

It does really seem that the snapdragon version is just a legit worse phone. Mine has been responsive with great battery life, which isn't always the case with the snapdragon.

What's stopping Samsung from using exynos in US?

Well to Qualcomms credit the US Samsung phones do have worse UI performance than other phones with the same Qualcomm processor.

Regardless, the Exynos is still a better chip in Single threaded and Battery performance than the Qualcomm 820.

The reason people in the US don't get to use it is mostly due to cost. Qualcomm has major patents on the CDMA technology three carriers over here use. Its cheaper to just go with the Qualcomm than deal with your own hardware + their modem or patent fees.

Qualcomm, Sprint, Verizon and US Cellular can blow me for limiting our options over here.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
gsmarena_001.jpg

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz-review-1500.php

tzare

Well to Qualcomms credit the US Samsung phones do have worse UI performance than other phones with the same Qualcomm processor.

Regardless, the Exynos is still a better chip in Single threaded and Battery performance than the Qualcomm 820.

The reason people in the US don't get to use it is mostly due to cost. Qualcomm has major patents on the CDMA technology three carriers over here use. Its cheaper to just go with the Qualcomm than deal with your own hardware + their modem or patent fees.

Qualcomm, Sprint, Verizon and US Cellular can blow me for limiting our options over here.
Afaik the only point where snapdragon beats exynos is gpu. And if new Mali delivers Qualcomm may be in serious trouble, not only exynos , but also kirin and helios may beat them to the punch

tmac456

guess I'm going to hold out and see what the Google event shows so I can see if the Pixel pricing is fucked or not.

really sick of my LG G4 and want to uprade soooooon

How is the Nexus 9 with Nougat? Any improvements since its launch, or is it still prone to lag, and running out of memory under very little workload?

ctfg23

Anyone with a 6P have trouble with phone calls where randomly the person on the other end can't hear you? At first I fixed it by turning off wifi calling but now it's happening again.

wilflare

Anyone with a 6P have trouble with phone calls where randomly the person on the other end can't hear you? At first I fixed it by turning off wifi calling but now it's happening again.

me! it happens every now and then. i fix it by toggling the loudspeaker

Bit the bullet and decided to repair my N4's power button. Swapped out the battery, too. Everything seems to be working just fine (we'll see about battery life) but it was a nerve-racking process and I don't want to do it again.

Noema

Bit the bullet and decided to repair my N4's power button. Swapped out the battery, too. Everything seems to be working just fine (we'll see about battery life) but it was a nerve-racking process and I don't want to do it again.

Next step is flashing a Nougat build as soon as they get more stable.

There's still life left in the N4.

Laekon

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on with my Nexus 5X? I finally got the 7.0 update last week and since then my battery life is inconsistent shit. 2 days ago my phone went from 75% to 15% over night but nothing showed up as the cause. Screen time was the 2nd biggest power draw at 3 hours from the whole day before. Today, while on battery save mode because of horrible signal, Android OS, Android System, and Google Play services killed my phone. It went from more then 95% to 10% in 11 hours with 28 minutes of screen time.

The only setting I changed with the update was turning the Google now voice to always on. I turned that off yesterday though.

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on with my Nexus 5X? I finally got the 7.0 update last week and since then my battery life is inconsistent shit. 2 days ago my phone went from 75% to 15% over night but nothing showed up as the cause. Screen time was the 2nd biggest power draw at 3 hours from the whole day before. Today, while on battery save mode because of horrible signal, Android OS, Android System, and Google Play services killed my phone. It went from more then 95% to 10% in 11 hours with 28 minutes of screen time.

The only setting I changed with the update was turning the Google now voice to always on. I turned that off yesterday though.

Sell it. Google has been fighting performance issues with that Qualcomm processer since day 1. Their only solution has been to turn up the idle clock speed which has destroyed battery life.

I've owned it since launch. Buying the new Pixel next week.

Laekon

Sell it. Google has been fighting performance issues with that Qualcomm processer since day 1. Their only solution has been to turn up the idle clock speed which has destroyed battery life.

I've owned it since launch. Buying the new Pixel next week.

If I'm going to get rid of it I'm getting an S7 or iPhone 7.

Seeing some comparison pics between the Pixel XL and the other popular phones is getting me excited. I'l be happy getting a better camera than my Nexus 5 and hopefully getting the XL will mean that much better battery life.

Noema

Check under Settings>Accounts and see if everything is syncing properly. A red flag would be an account or app that hasn't synced in a while. That means the the phone is having troubles syncing that particular item, probably trying on hours to end and failing over and over.

That seems to be the root of most of Nougat's Android System battery drain woes.

teiresias

I'm trying to understand why some people seem to think Google Fi is a good deal - perhaps for them but I don't see how it would benefit me.

I currently use the T-Mobile $30 plan, and aside from the shenanigans required since I use a Google Voice number I have no problems with it. The only thing I've encountered is constantly hitting the 100 minute voice limit and on some months breaking through my 5GB of LTE - which pretty much throttles you to the point where data is useless. Obviously, I live in an area where I have no coverage issues like some seem to have with T-Mobile, so no complaints there.

I figure, since I tend to add about $10-$20 to my prepaid account every month to allow me to have more talk minutes, I would probably be better off moving to the $60/month plan that gives me unlimited talk minutes and ups my LTE data to 10GB. The same usage on Fi would be $20+$10*10 = $120/month.

Even if I assume I'm actually only going to rarely break 5GB, that's still $20+$10*5 = $70/month for Fi while the 5GB prepaid plan with unlimited talk on T-Mobile is only $50.

Aside from getting a phone at a discount through Fi I can't make the math work for me.

I'm trying to understand why some people seem to think Google Fi is a good deal - perhaps for them but I don't see how it would benefit me.

I currently use the T-Mobile $30 plan, and aside from the shenanigans required since I use a Google Voice number I have no problems with it. The only thing I've encountered is constantly hitting the 100 minute voice limit and on some months breaking through my 5GB of LTE - which pretty much throttles you to the point where data is useless. Obviously, I live in an area where I have no coverage issues like some seem to have with T-Mobile, so no complaints there.

I figure, since I tend to add about $10-$20 to my prepaid account every month to allow me to have more talk minutes, I would probably be better off moving to the $60/month plan that gives me unlimited talk minutes and ups my LTE data to 10GB. The same usage on Fi would be $20+$10*10 = $120/month.

Even if I assume I'm actually only going to rarely break 5GB, that's still $20+$10*5 = $70/month for Fi while the 5GB prepaid plan with unlimited talk on T-Mobile is only $50.

Aside from getting a phone at a discount through Fi I can't make the math work for me.

I have Fi and my bill is under 30 bucks most months since I'm a low data user. I have wifi everywhere. I also get much better coverage than you do with 3 carriers and especially using us cellular so theres that. Tmobile is poor where I live and US Cellular is expensive so Fi is awesome in comparison.

There's also more to Fi than you are seeing. Data sims have no monthly device fee and the international coverage is cheap as hell.

Google voice is also a pain (I used to use it) and is rumored to be discontinued some day.

teiresias

I have Fi and my bill is under 30 bucks most months since I'm a low data user. I have wifi everywhere. I also get much better coverage than you do with 3 carriers and especially using us cellular so theres that. Tmobile is poor where I live.

There's also more to Fi than you are seeing. Data sims have no monthly device fee and the international coverage is cheap as hell.

Google voice is also a pain (I used to use it) and is rumored to be discontinued some day.

Device fees are pretty null on prepaid plans for phones. The international coverage is a thing but I don't travel internationally to make it useful - maybe would start a plan if I ever did it regularly and would just turn it off and on when I needed it.

If Google Voice goes away I'd just port my Google Voice number out and start doing what we all did for years and port my number every time I changed carriers. I haven't had issues using Voice though, sure it's a preliminary setup step, but then it's completely transparent, and also allows me to send sms through the gmail web interface from my actual phone number.

Device fees are pretty null on prepaid plans for phones. The international coverage is a thing but I don't travel internationally to make it useful - maybe would start a plan if I ever did it regularly and would just turn it off and on when I needed it.

If Google Voice goes away I'd just port my Google Voice number out and start doing what we all did for years and port my number every time I changed carriers. I haven't had issues using Voice though, sure it's a preliminary setup step, but then it's completely transparent, and also allows me to send sms through the gmail web interface from my actual phone number.

I'm talking about devices in addition to my phone that pool from the same data. Like a tablet. Fi is the only carrier that does this with no device fee as far as I'm aware.

Laekon

Why S7 over the Pixel?

Waterproofing?

I just like the feel of the phone. To be honest we can't really compare them as the Pixel phones aren't out yet.

Check under Settings>Accounts and see if everything is syncing properly. A red flag would be an account or app that hasn't synced in a while. That means the the phone is having troubles syncing that particular item, probably trying on hours to end and failing over and over.

That seems to be the root of most of Nougat's Android System battery drain woes.

Nothing stands out here. It either says they are synced or not syncing. Nothing says it tried and failed.

surely you meant S7 Edge or iPhone 7+

5" screen is where it's at for me.

longdi

Banned

Ty4on

Next step is flashing a Nougat build as soon as they get more stable.

There's still life left in the N4.

Gotta do that soon. I didn't root and install 6 because there were so few new features and 5 was working well. I like the new features in 7 though and an annoying bug prevents video playback until I restart the device. Gonna try undervolting and downclocking when I root as well to squeeze out some more battery life.

FFP2

I really hope that the Pixel phones get a big improvement in battery life. I feel so bad for the 6P owners here that only get 1.5-3hr SOT. Ya'll deserve better.

Fatalah

My wife's job gets a 19℅ discount on VZ, so my VZ line is cheaper than going solo on Fi. Maybe Google will announce some cheaper Fi rates next week too :p

akileese

My wife's job gets a 19℅ discount on VZ, so my VZ line is cheaper than going solo on Fi. Maybe Google will announce some cheaper Fi rates next week too :p

The only people I know on VZW are people who get 20-25 percent discounts on their bill. You can say what you want about their shitty practices, but people I know who use them swear up and down about their speed. Then again, I never have coverage issues with T-Mobile and my network speed is top notch.

snacknuts

we all knew her
The only people I know on VZW are people who get 20-25 percent discounts on their bill. You can say what you want about their shitty practices, but people I know who use them swear up and down about their speed. Then again, I never have coverage issues with T-Mobile and my network speed is top notch.

I switched to TMo about a year ago from Verizon. Verizon's coverage and speeds were definitely better, but not >2x better, and since my bill is now less than half of what it was at VZW, I'm happy.

Jeffrey

Mate using Mate8. It is awesome phone for the price, strong build, fast, minimal bezel, 4000mah, 2 years warranty.

Now Huawei goes for a 1440p and that 6GB, mate9 looks a note7 killer!

eh the 7 still has the stylus. won't really have a competition until iphone adds pencil support lol

Top Bottom