• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

this_guy

Fi is pricy if you use more than 2gb of data per month. For a single line you're better off doing Cricket or MetroPCS. You can't finance a phone but I'm someone who always buys my devices outright so it doesn't affect me.

iavi

I switched to TMo about a year ago from Verizon. Verizon's coverage and speeds were definitely better, but not >2x better, and since my bill is now less than half of what it was at VZW, I'm happy.

Same I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile a few years back now, and the coverage/speed definitely still isn't quite as good, but I only pay 100 dollars for 3 lines with 6gb of data and data rollover. Whereas with Verizon, I'd be paying that much for 1.

For the price difference, I can make whatever negligible diff in speed work.

Same I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile a few years back now, and the coverage/speed definitely still isn't quite as good, but I only pay 100 dollars for 3 lines with 6gb of data and data rollover. Whereas with Verizon, I'd be paying that much for 1.

For the price difference, I can make whatever negligible diff in speed work.

You're not kidding.

3jbbI9e.png

VZW works like a champ, but that $$$.

Has anyone heard about this?

USB-C Audio Standard in the Making

Officially named the USB Audio Device Class 3.0 specification, this new release sets the standard for how audio should work over USB Type-C. The USB-IF hopes the new specification will be the “primary solution for all digital audio applications, including headsets, mobile devices, docking stations, gaming set-ups and VR solutions.”

The new audio specification can help reduce power consumption on devices, and will come with advanced features like hotword detection. The USB-IF says routing audio over the USB Type-C connection rather than a standard headphone jack can shave up to 0.03 of an inch (1 mm) off of product design. That may not seem like much, but it’s a big deal in mobile devices where every little bit of space counts. Losing the headphone jack in favor of the USB Type-C also means it will be easier to design water-resistant devices, according to the USB-IF.

I mean... This is how I imagine moving away from 3.5 would be. Not the BS apple did by making it proprietary... But nonetheless, this isn't that surprising but at least much more better imo if moving forward.

NH Apache

Banned
FYI, if you have an Gear VR enabled phone with Oculus installed, Oculus home tries to install and fail loop after an overnight update. Causing massive heat, performance issues, and excessive battery usage.

Uninstalled until a fixed update comes out.

I woke up this morning and my S7 Edge went from 65% to 8% overnight while sleeping. The top three offenders were listed as Android System, Android OS, and Google Play services which really tells me nothing. I got in to work and put my phone on my wireless charger and it started to complain that the charge rate was so slow that my battery was draining faster than it could charge. I ended up doing a full reboot, but is there any way to actually tell which app or what was causing the problem? Saying Android System is using the most battery seems kind of pointless because it doesn't really tell you anything. Is there an app that will point out what's asking Android to constantly be active?

Edit: Well damn, should have just read the post above mine....

I'm leaning towards the V20 but I may go with the Pixel XL instead depending on price and release date. We all know about LG's fantastic idea of announcing their phone and then waiting probably a month and a half to actually release here in the US. If Google can announce this and have it in stores in 2-3 weeks then I might go with them.

I guess price doesn't really matter though when compared to the V20. Even with the rumored high price I'm sure the V20 will be at least $650 minimum. It would just be kind of hard to swallow buying the Pixel XL for $700+ when I've been use to seeing their phones priced $500 or below the past several years.

ArchAngel

I like that design a lot if that's accurate

looks pretty sweet...

now that looks much better

And so the annual design-hateing of new Google phones slowly ends like every year since forever ;)

Hope there is a story for the glass on the back, I never cared for wireless charging since the Nexus 4.
And the fingerprint reader better be a "hole" like the 6P, not the 5X ring :/

I just switched back to the Note 5 and will be getting rid of the S7 Edge.

Great phone, but the edge screen just doesn't work for me.

Note 5 til the Note 7 (which supposedly the edge screen isn't as drastic as the S7E) drops in price or hopefully the Pixels come through and will jump ship to one of those.

I just wish more companies would use a physical home button. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love me a physical home button.

Reckoner

Note 5 til the Note 7 (which supposedly the edge screen isn't as drastic as the S7E) drops in price or hopefully the Pixels come through and will jump ship to one of those.

I just wish more companies would use a physical home button. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love me a physical home button.

The Note 7 has an edgy screen too fam

No Love

Banned

The Note 7 has an edgy screen too fam

Yeah, he said that in his post.

Note 5 til the Note 7 (which supposedly the edge screen isn't as drastic as the S7E)

Maybe you should actually read it next time...

Physical home button with fingerprint sensor is so good.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Man, I don't know why manufacturers think antennae lines are good. Apple fixed the ugly with iPhone 7. Quit using the 6 antenna design.

OnLeaks posted the Pixel XL dimensions. 154.72mm x 75.74mm x 8.5mm (Top) 7.3mm (Bottom). On one hand I guess being smaller than the iPhone 7 Plus is nice, but on the other hand it is still decently larger than something like the S7 Edge and also larger than the Note 7 which has a bigger screen.

For comparison here are some other phones with similar screen sizes going off of what PhoneArena lists.
OnePlus 3 152.7 x 74.7 x 7.4 mm
Axon 7 151.7 x 75 x 7.9 mm
Nexus 6P 159.3 x 77.8 x 7.3 mm
S7 Edge 150.9 x 72.6 x 7.7 mm
Note 7 153.5 x 73.9 x 7.9 mm
iPhone 7 Plus 158.2 x 77.9 x 7.3 mm

Hasney

Does the new rsbrowser mess up password saving like some of these older browsers do? Makes my saved passwords on desktop about 100 characters long.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I really hate the fingerprint reader being like that. I much prefer the recessed look of the Moto phones.

That being said I think part of the reason it looks weird to me here is without the branding.

Man, I don't know why manufacturers think antennae lines are good. Apple fixed the ugly with iPhone 7. Quit using the 6 antenna design.

It's not that there are lines that bother me. It's that the top line is literally only on the sides. So it looks weird as fuck.

teiresias

wait it's tapered?

That could actually be kind of cool if the taper tilts the screen slightly towards the face when it's laying on a table, though I guess any camera bump accomplishes the same thing, though its more elegant if it's a whole body taper rather than just a bump, imo.

I do like how it's a little smaller than the 6P otherwise.

Top Bottom