• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

demented

If the pixel xl ends up being what I want spec wise, is it a pain to get it? They don't ship to my country and could do it at sister's place in Austria maybe unless I have to wait months for it. Today my z2 suddenly went from 40% to 0% and wouldn't turn on, when charged it quickly got to 50 in like 10 minutes so idk I want to get rid of it asap and buy me a new phone.

Quasar

That's basically the reaction of anyone that's not techie. I tried it, uninstalled it within 2 hours.

Well I got my non tech family to use it, which is a stepup from hangouts. I thought techie people disliked it compared to hangouts generally.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The RSBrowser update is nice because it's smoother. But it's worse because tabs as apps are gone!

That's basically the reaction of anyone that's not techie. I tried it, uninstalled it within 2 hours.
That's the opposite reaction I've had. Non techie people seem to like it.

CtidQMJWgAErosr.jpg

onleaks, mileage vary, yadda yadda
I like it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
The only people I know on VZW are people who get 20-25 percent discounts on their bill. You can say what you want about their shitty practices, but people I know who use them swear up and down about their speed. Then again, I never have coverage issues with T-Mobile and my network speed is top notch.

We're in that bucket. We get a huge discount as well and the speed is top notch all over the US. We both travel some. The quality of the service is really up there.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The RSBrowser update is nice because it's smoother. But it's worse because tabs as apps are gone!

What's so special about that browser?

Edit: Welp, I've installed it but it just crash when I open the app.

kswiston

I think my Galaxy S6's screen bit it today. It was working fine as always, and then the screen started to flicker/change colors. Eventually it would just do that for a second before turning black, even though the rest of the phone is running fine. I can't even get the screen to stay on long enough for me to enter my password.

Any idea how much it costs to get the screen replaced? I still have 7-8 months left on my contract, which would cost me $175-200 to get out of/upgrade early.

NotBacon

Blurry photos and front-on pictures: "looks like garbage"
360° renders come out: "wow looks pretty nice"

I'm shocked.

Anyways, if the camera is as good as the 6P and there is no catastrophic failure point, I'm in day one.

Xisiqomelir

Something that I enjoyed about the Xperia was that it would make videos out of my camera roll with music and deliver them to me via notification.

I checked in the play store, but Sony Movie Creator can't be installed on my R7s. Any decent substitutes?

Something that I enjoyed about the Xperia was that it would make videos out of my camera roll with music and deliver them to me via notification.

I checked in the play store, but Sony Movie Creator can't be installed on my R7s. Any decent substitutes?

Google photos does the same thing with any backed up material (ie you're backing up your photos in the cloud). You can also make your own videos should you wish.

rsbrowser got an update. Its so smooth on my GS5.
I just downloaded it, but there's no way I can sign into my Google account through the app.

I try to, but it says my account is already on my device, then I try to verify it and Google sends me a text message, but RSBrowser doesn't give me any field to type in the code I get.

It just keeps looping through process without end.

co1onel

I just downloaded it, but there's no way I can sign into my Google account through the app.

I try to, but it says my account is already on my device, then I try to verify it and Google sends me a text message, but RSBrowser doesn't give me any field to type in the code I get.

It just keeps looping through process without end.
You have to give the app permission to use your contacts

yyzjohn

Banned

In my experience, the only reason a non-techie would even hear about Allo is me telling them about it. I have my wife, my siblings, my inlaws all on Hangouts. Asking them to switch over to Allo would be greeted with a "what for?" It's a hard sell considering Hangouts works just fine for them.

tzare

In my experience, the only reason a non-techie would even hear about Allo is me telling them about it. I have my wife, my siblings, my inlaws all on Hangouts. Asking them to switch over to Allo would be greeted with a "what for?" It's a hard sell considering Hangouts works just fine for them.

Google should merge hangouts and allo. I am sure they could do it. But they will not.

yyzjohn

Banned
Google should merge hangouts and allo. I am sure they could do it. But they will not.

This is the problem. Every 2-3 years they introduce a new chat app, once u get settled on something people don't want to switch. What's the point? It's another chat app.

Jeffrey

yeah, the verge is a mess on mobile without adblocker.

the only positive verge experience i had on mobile is through their apple news portal lol

oh look
India's aviation ministry — the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) — has eased restrictions on Galaxy Note 7 usage aboard flights. Following the global recall, Samsung has issued an update to the Note 7 to distinguish safe units from those that are still faulty. Essentially, new units with batteries from a different supplier will come with a green battery icon, whereas older defective units will retain the traditional white icon.
http://www.androidcentral.com/indias-aviation-ministry-lifts-note-7-ban

Chris R

Blurry photos and front-on pictures: "looks like garbage"
360° renders come out: "wow looks pretty nice"

I'm shocked.

Anyways, if the camera is as good as the 6P and there is no catastrophic failure point, I'm in day one.

Still think the chins are way too big and the two tone design on the back is a bad decision, but at least the black doesn't look as garbage as the white :p

Saiyan-Rox

Hotfix for OP3 just released. They've been on point with the fixes and security updates. Hoping 7.0 is before the end of the year.

they are getting so much better with the updates, This team merger is looking to be extremely good.

I;m on the community builds myself though and those have been great.

I don't understand why they just didn't make Hangouts better instead of releasing a whole other app.

Two reasons.

1. They want to have a product to compete with Slack and Hipchat so they stop losing google cloud users. Hangouts fills this void.

2. They needed a name reboot. Hangouts main user base is business users and it didn't really take off with regular consumers. Reason 2 compliments reason 1.

It all makes sense as long as Allo because the pre-installed sms app on Pixel phones some day.

Two reasons.

1. They want to have a product to compete with Slack and Hipchat so they stop losing google cloud users. Hangouts fills this void.

2. They needed a name reboot. Hangouts main user base is business users and it didn't really take off with regular consumers. Reason 2 compliments reason 1.

It all makes sense as long as Allo because the pre-installed sms app on Pixel phones some day.

I hope it's preinstalled instead of Hangouts and not in addition to it. Same for Messenger, which is a shitty name for an SMS app.

dralla

I need to replace my Xperia Z3 which has been a complete disaster. Constantly overheating, battery drain, duplicate/missing/delayed texts. I don't need top of the line, I usually buy a generation behind. I wanted the Nexus 5X but it's still nearly full price, and overpriced for the specs IMO. I like it for the size and the stock android and support. Best Buy has the Moto X Pure on sale for $250 and I had a Moto before and loved it but I'm worried about the size. My current phone is 5.2 inches and I'm not sure I wanna go any bigger. Is it worth it to jump on that deal? Does the Moto X Pure feel unwieldy at all for its size? or would I be better off waiting for a Nexus 5x sale, looking for about the $250 range for the 32GB.

ps. I'm on TMobile. Band 12 support would be a nice bonus.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I need to replace my Xperia Z3 which has been a complete disaster. Constantly overheating, battery drain, duplicate/missing/delayed texts. I don't need top of the line, I usually buy a generation behind. I wanted the Nexus 5X but it's still nearly full price, and overpriced for the specs IMO. I like it for the size and the stock android and support. Best Buy has the Moto X Pure on sale for $250 and I had a Moto before and loved it but I'm worried about the size. My current phone is 5.2 inches and I'm not sure I wanna go any bigger. Is it worth it to jump on that deal? Does the Moto X Pure feel unwieldy at all for its size? or would I be better off waiting for a Nexus 5x sale, looking for about the $250 range for the 32GB.

ps. I'm on TMobile. Band 12 support would be a nice bonus.
You can get a 5X from Google for $200 through Project Fi. You can cancel the service and keep the cheap phone. The Pure is a great device, but unwieldy.

dralla

You can get a 5X from Google for $200 through Project Fi. You can cancel the service and keep the cheap phone. The Pure is a great device, but unwieldy.

Really? What would I do exactly? Get the phone, activate it with the cheapest plan, cancel it, throw my TMobile sim card in there instead?

edit. The pricing looks pretty good on Fi and it looks like my area has good coverage. I wonder if I should just switch. Any feedback on the service?

Quixzlizx

Really? What would I do exactly? Get the phone, activate it with the cheapest plan, cancel it, throw my TMobile sim card in there instead?

edit. The pricing looks pretty good on Fi and it looks like my area has good coverage. I wonder if I should just switch. Any feedback on the service?

Fi coverage = Tmo + Sprint + US Cellular + wi-fi hotspots, so it should at least equal what you are getting from Tmo.

clav

If you use more than the average data usage (3GB), you may have to reconsider.

Some people stream videos + music all day.

Top Bottom