• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

dralla

If you use more than the average data usage (3GB), you may have to reconsider.

Some people stream videos + music all day.

I barely use 1GB a month. Right now I'm sitting at 370MB for the current month. I'd probably go with the 2GB plan to be safe since unused data gets refunded anyway.

So I active my Fi account. then cancel my TMobile service and I'm all set? hmmm. I should probably do that

Really? What would I do exactly? Get the phone, activate it with the cheapest plan, cancel it, throw my TMobile sim card in there instead?

edit. The pricing looks pretty good on Fi and it looks like my area has good coverage. I wonder if I should just switch. Any feedback on the service?

I'm a low data user and have Fi. You cant beat it especially if you are in US Cellular coverage.

The battery life on the 5x sucks ass though. I would wait and grab the new Google Pixel next week.

You also don't need a plan higher than 1gb. You will be credited if you use under a gig or just pay by the penny if you go over. No need to order more to be "safe."

dralla

I'm a low data user and have Fi. You cant beat it especially if you are in US Cellular coverage.

The battery life on the 5x sucks ass though. I would wait and grab the Pixel next week.

You also don't need a plan higher than 1gb. You will be credited if you use under a gig or just pay by the penny if you go over. No need to order more to be "safe."

Way out of my price range (if the rumors are true). Looking for something in the $250 range

clav

So I active my Fi account. then cancel my TMobile service and I'm all set? hmmm. I should probably do that

You can port your number using the app, and Google will auto cancel your T-Mobile account.

Don't know if the 5X will reduce in price with the arrival of new Pixel phones though. Some people are fearing the new $650 price point as the entry phone for Fi users.

Way out of my price range (if the rumors are true). Looking for something in the $250 range

Well there is financing and you will save on your monthly with Fi but I hear ya.

The 5x only gets about 2 hours of screen on time and barely makes it a day on low-med usage for me. It is cheap though...

akileese

I barely use 1GB a month. Right now I'm sitting at 370MB for the current month. I'd probably go with the 2GB plan to be safe since unused data gets refunded anyway.

Are you a legit low data user or a low t-mobile data user? T-Mobile hardly counts ANYTHING against your plan anymore. I get 6gb and use about 2gb a month tops of my plan data. I actually use closer to like 15gb a month because I essentially live off google music. I use it for hour long commutes each way and probably even an hour or two while at work. Just be certain before you make the switch.

Chinner

Banned
On an unlimited plan... Currently used 17gb this month.

You obviously adjust to your limit. If it wasn't for YouTube I would be able to last on 4gb tbh.

That would make it worse than the Nexus 5. No way that's true, is it??

It's totally true for me. 2015 Qualcomm processors were terrible.

The only way to deal with encryption performance is to turn up the idle clock speed which ruined battery life.

Prior to this I was getting 3.5 - 4 hrs SOT but performance was shit.

Jigolo

Sounds like the new OS is going to change a lot and not be backwards compatible which is good. Google made some critical errors since the start of Android that were never going to be able to be fixed via any kind of firmware upgrade (updates, general lag, "android system" garbage, they probably never planned for play services at the start which is why it fucks up so much shot now like battery). They have to get down and dirty and rewrite some code from scratch. I assume the play store will remain compatible but not sure what else.

Blackhead

Redarse
Whats the current recommended USB C cables?

I'm also looking for a USB C right angle adapter and/or USB C splitter ― does anybody make those?

Quixzlizx

Is there any way to split out the traffic Google Now notification from all the other cards so I can easily glance at my notification shade and see how bad my commute is going to be?

Sounds like the new OS is going to change a lot and not be backwards compatible which is good. Google made some critical errors since the start of Android that were never going to be able to be fixed via any kind of firmware upgrade (updates, general lag, "android system" garbage, they probably never planned for play services at the start which is why it fucks up so much shot now like battery). They have to get down and dirty and rewrite some code from scratch. I assume the play store will remain compatible but not sure what else.

Is it coming to phones now? I thought it was just tablets and laptops

Given that not everybody checks Twitter I figured I would compile some of the Tweets that came out today from Stephen Hall (9to5Google) and Ruddock (Android Police). Obviously mentions to take it all with a grain of salt, but it really sounds compelling.

David Ruddock said:
Andromeda seems, the more we hear, to be Google's realization that partners are now what is holding back Android above all else.
David Ruddock said:
As an operating system, that is. Without partners, Android wouldn't be here. But Andromeda appears to be Google waving goodbye to that mess.
David Ruddock said:
Partners will probably be invited along for the ride, but with far more and much stronger strings attached in order to participate.

Stephen Hall said:
Andromeda will apparently run on anything: phones, tablets, laptops, but we pretty much assumed that.
Stephen Hall said:
Allo kinda sucks right now but apparently the next major version will make a lot more sense on Andromeda devices.
Stephen Hall said:
Apparently the longterm goal is to move away from "Android" proper and to Andromeda which will run on anything (ala Windows 10).
Stephen Hall said:
It isn't just Android with windowing features, and it isn't just ChromeOS. Will apparently be much more cloud-based than Android, though.
Stephen Hall said:
It won't be backwards compatible with many old devices, if any. Even the Nexus 9 which Andromeda is being tested on. won't get it.
Stephen Hall said:
Apparently Allo running on Andromeda will be much closer to a proper competitor to iMessage in terms of functionality.
Stephen Hall said:
Google wants to use Andromeda to push users even deeper into its own cloud services + cloud storage.
Stephen Hall said:
Finally, don't know if Andromeda will ever be a public-facing name. Could just be internal.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
"You're being a conspiracy theorist by believing Google is trying to close Android."

Was I?

Good for Google on this one. It had to happen eventually. The signs were all there. Hardware and software needs to be done in collaboration. Fall 2017 will be an interesting time. This fall is a solid skip year.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Given that not everybody checks Twitter I figured I would compile some of the Tweets that came out today from Stephen Hall (9to5Google) and Ruddock (Android Police). Obviously mentions to take it all with a grain of salt, but it really sounds compelling.
First thought that came out reading this: fuck that shit.

there is no 'much closer' competitor to iMessage

it either hijacks SMS and risks breaking communication like iMessage does

or it or it doesn't hijack SMS and works like everything else

Quixzlizx

So if Andromeda is going to go all-in on cloud services, does that mean Google's going to offer better data rates for Google Fi, or have some sort of T-mo style data exemption for Google services?

this_guy

So if Andromeda is going to go all-in on cloud services, does that mean Google's going to offer better data rates for Google Fi, or have some sort of T-mo style data exemption for Google services?

That's highly doubtful as Google still has to buy data from other carriers for Fi.

TTOOLL

Is it just me thinking that with these big phones nowadays all the menus should be down the screen? One hand navigation would be so good and easy. I don't know, just random thoughts. I think wikipedia did this recently with its app.

Blackhead

Redarse
Is it just me thinking that with these big phones nowadays all the menus should be down the screen? One hand navigation would be so good and easy. I don't know, just random thoughts. I think wikipedia did this recently with its app.

One problem is most languages are read top to bottom so visually people always look to the top of the screen first. But yes, early Android had the menu at the bottom (via a hardware button though so bad visibility), as did Windows Phone 7 (software standard button, very good). All the controls should be at the bottom, it's soo much better

shingi70

Banned
Andromeda is exactly what Google has needed for a long time,

That said I think its going to fail, due to google still not being able to have the Android brand recognition that it should and this could potentially hurt Android and chrome.

Toki767

I sent my brother a message through Allo yesterday. He never got it as a text message.

So that message is just lost in the cloud somewhere.

Good stuff Google.

LeleSocho

Banned

This is incredibly exciting... and scary for anyone that cares about Google knowing everything about you.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I like Chrome OS on laptops cause it's light without all of the excess baggage, and most laptop usage is in and around WiFi.

Phones are much more use anywhere and that cloud stuff scares me with data rates.

Klocker

By far my biggest gripe with Android I am a left-handed one hand user and so many times I have to stop what I'm doing and grab the phone with two hands to hit the top especially the bigger screens

HawkeyeIC

Seems like a lot of Google's apps are heading that direction, so hopefully 7.1 will make it the new standard.

Phionoxx

I'm on project fi and thinking about going from my current Nexus 6 to the Pixel XL. Would it be a reasonable upgrade? Or perhaps smarter to wait and see more about Andromeda and what phones will eventually support that instead.

Quasar

"You're being a conspiracy theorist by believing Google is trying to close Android."

Was I?

Good for Google on this one. It had to happen eventually. The signs were all there. Hardware and software needs to be done in collaboration. Fall 2017 will be an interesting time. This fall is a solid skip year.

I think all I really want is the update situation solved. Of course even now we're seeing bullshit lawsuits against Google due to the tiny little bit of control they have tried to use.

Though maybe Andromeda as its own thing might solve that issue.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Google already uses APL, but it'll be interesting if they try and go even more proprietary what kind of push back they will see on a kernel level.

It took Google long enough as it is to get Android folded into the kernel proper vs being it's own fork. I wonder if this could split things off again if OSS devs get rubbed the wrong way.

wilflare

bleh I getting increasingly bummed by how unsupported the Nexus 6P is by my local telcos
no VoLTE support
no NFC sim card support (so you can tap your phone at the gantry instead of a transport card)

HawkeyeIC

Stephen Hall ‏@hallstephenj Sep 30
9. An Andromeda “dev kit” may or may not be mentioned at 10/4 event, and we should expect “some form of preview” in November.

shingi70

Banned
So for sake of argument let's say Andromeda is google's way of not locking down Android, but gaining more control of it (whatever that means). This new OS won't be backwards compatible and will effectively be a different beast than Android and chrome OS, despite most likely using parts of both.

What will be the hardware OEMs incentive to go along with Andromeda instead of just using Android as is.

It's interesting that in the next year in a half or so, that Apple will be the only major compitters where they're devices seemingly are running literal different OSes connected by hands offs.

Top Bottom