• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

So for sake of argument let's say Andromeda is google's way of not locking down Android, but gaining more control of it (whatever that means). This new OS won't be backwards compatible and will effectively be a different beast than Android and chrome OS, despite most likely using parts of both.

What will be the hardware OEMs incentive to go along with Andromeda instead of just using Android as is.

It's interesting that in the next year in a half or so, that Apple will be the only major compitters where they're devices seemingly are running literal different OSes connected by hands offs.

Maybe they don't care if anyone uses Andromeda on phones. Does Apple need others to use IOS?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It always amazes me just how bad the Weather Channel app is, but because it's TWC they get a ton of installs.

It's loaded with bad graphics, tons of ads, slow as fuck, and no sense of design. Night and day vs Weather Underground.

Laekon

Is there any easy way to go back to 6.0? The batter life on my 5X continues to be shit since the 7.0 update with Android OS continuing to be the main drain even at night. I never use bluetooth on my phone so it is always off. I also don't see any sync issues under accounts. I also have few apps on my phone with the majority of my phone use just being Facebook, instagram, maps, and chrome. Its like they removed Doze, one of the only good features of 6.0.

To release an update that screws up your current hardware, one of the few pieces of hardware to even get the update, is total shit.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So for sake of argument let's say Andromeda is google's way of not locking down Android, but gaining more control of it (whatever that means). This new OS won't be backwards compatible and will effectively be a different beast than Android and chrome OS, despite most likely using parts of both.

What will be the hardware OEMs incentive to go along with Andromeda instead of just using Android as is.

It's interesting that in the next year in a half or so, that Apple will be the only major compitters where they're devices seemingly are running literal different OSes connected by hands offs.

I assume Google Apps.

Also I wonder if all of the current play store apps will be forward compatible, and if so are they gonna run in some kind of vm wrapper?

Also if Google doesn't care about OEMs and wants to be like Apple with iOS good luck.

Android phones sell extremely well, but a large swath of them are cheaper handsets in places like India and China. Good luck trying to upsell all of those people to iPhone like prices as many can't afford it.

Noema

Is there any easy way to go back to 6.0? The batter life on my 5X continues to be shit since the 7.0 update with Android OS continuing to be the main drain even at night. I never use bluetooth on my phone so it is always off. I also don't see any sync issues under accounts. I also have few apps on my phone with the majority of my phone use just being Facebook, instagram, maps, and chrome. Its like they removed Doze, one of the only good features of 6.0.

To release an update that screws up your current hardware, one of the few pieces of hardware to even get the update, is total shit.

You'll have to unlock your bootloader, download the img files and flash them manually.

Nikodemos

Android phones sell extremely well, but a large swath of them are cheaper handsets in places like India and China. Good luck trying to upsell all of those people to iPhone like prices as many can't afford it.
Maybe they want to go two-tier. Andromeda as a unified OS for the Pixel high-end line of laptops, tablets and phones, and Android for the filthy peons OEMs (probably with lowered update frequency etc.).

Though I can't see OEMs too happy with this arrangement. Some might want out altogether, though only Samsung has an alternate fallback OS (and that's not really completely hatched yet).
Maybe if things go sour they'll take Sailfish seriously?

EDIT:
It might also be a way to go around the Union's impending kick in the teeth. They'll probably lose this round but, if they lock their environment on their own devices, they'll basically be out of reach, like Apple is.

Pixel Leak from Bell wireless. Honestly, I think it looks great looking in this image, but that bezel looks even larger in white.
img_preorder-form_pixel_en.png

lol, every phone since the iPhone has come out looks like an iPhone. Get the fuck outta here. No one says "That TV looks like a TV!" or "That toaster looks like a toaster!".

Jeffrey

Eh I'd argue phones for the most part look like iphone or HTC or a mixture.

Samsung finally getting around to their own look recently.

Quasar

lol, every phone since the iPhone has come out looks like an iPhone. Get the fuck outta here. No one says "That TV looks like a TV!" or "That toaster looks like a toaster!".

Well toasters do have different fundamental designs. Or at least used to.

Even tvs at least have curved and 21:9 options.

Phones are pretty much the same rectangular slab with rounded corners. Not a whole lot of variation. The robin is a bit different with its less roundedness and bright colours.

It's generally why I pay no attention to what a phone shell looks like, aside from its impact on durability or radio reception.

Storage

Available in 32GB and 128GB

It really is trying to be an Iphone. Snapdragon 821 confirmed, however the clock speed is off compared to what it's supposed to be.

Just in case site goes down:

Dimensions

154.7 x 75.7 x 8.6 mm
Weight

168 grams
Display
Screen resolution

1440 x 2560p
HD screen

Quad HD
Pixel Density

534 ppi
Large screen

Screen protection type

Gorilla Glass 4
Screen technology

QHD AMOLED
Touchscreen

Screen size

5.5 inches
Body
SIM type

Nano
Calls & Messages
Video calling

Microphone

Speakerphone

Voice dialling

Wi-Fi calling

Frequency bands

Quad band
Works in USA

Voice recognition

Operating System
Operating system

Android
Operating system version

Android Nougat (v7.1)
Apps
App store

Google Play
Battery
Fast charging

Standby

456 hours
Battery size

3450 mAh
Talk time

26 hours
Special Features
Fingerprint scanner

Optical image stabilisation

Connectivity
NFC

Bluetooth

Wi-Fi

GPS

3G

Wi-Fi hotspot and tethering

4G

Mobile Internet connection

Camera
Video recording

Image stabilisation

Rear camera video quality

1.55um big pixel f/2.0
Front camera

Front - Megapixels

8 megapixels
Rear - Megapixels

12 megapixels
Storage
Memory card type

MicroSD
Expandable memory

256 GB
Music and entertainment
Headphones jack (3.5mm)

Apps

Music player

Processor
Number of cores

Quad
Processor name

Snapdragon 821 Quard Core CAT9-12
Maximum processor speed

2.15 GHz
Core speeds

2.15 GHz
RAM

4 GB

Furyous

I'd buy this over an iPhone 7 if it came with microsd support... well *almost buy it* because lack of my required specs. I'd be in the google play store adding and dropping that device quick as shit.

It's best to wait like I did for the 5X.

Why does it need to be under $500? The base Nexus 6P MSRP was $500. If it matches that price and the quality, it'll be fine.

Because there are great options with similar specs and features for $400 or less. There is only so much of a premium that I'm willing to pay for direct google updates. Rumor has it that this will be $700+ due to carriers. At that price no thanks.

Because there are great options with similar specs and features for $400 or less. There is only so much of a premium that I'm willing to pay for direct google updates. Rumor has it that this will be $700+ due to carriers. At that price no thanks.

Sadly, nothing else has come after that rumor. And that was what, a month ago?

It's what the G5 should have been.

It's too late in the cycle with that price to make a ton of people jump in IMO. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Even if it's $600, it can still do well. It's a well built, long lasting (battery) and fast phone. I'd rather have it than any of Samsung's current offerings.

Top Bottom