• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

re: pixel, I can confirm it's almost identical to iphone pricing. So for canadians that's 400/530-550 plus tax for the base 32gb models normal and XL. This is on contract btw.

I actually like the phones tbh. A good start. If next year is the same thing with improvements to bezel and whatnot then I may go for it. They could definitely be better but a good start.

HawkeyeIC

Are you kidding me? Last year was the Snapdragon mess.

Didn't need a phone last year but do this year.

iPhone is a complete skip this year, lg is bad, moto is non existent, HTC will be out of business in two years, Samsungs phones are exploding and googles big phone is $300 more than last year. So, yea, bad year for phones.

iPhone is a complete skip this year, lg is bad, moto is non existent, HTC will be out of business in two years, Samsungs phones are exploding and googles big phone is $300 more than last year. So, yea, bad year for phones.

How is the LG V20 bad? The HTC 10 is good outside of the price. Axon 7 really shows what you can do with a premium phone at a $400 price point. It's actually been a good year, even with Samsung being stupid as hell.

Jeffrey

Samsung stuff is hot (occasionally too hot) . One plus 3 is great. Axon 7 is great. Honor 8 is great.

There's been worse years for phones.

wilflare

finally got my aunt's Note7 set-up.
I wish there was an easier way to migrate WhatsApp from iOS to Android.

and Samsung has pretty neat ideas - Smart Switch works really well
but they sure have a lot of redundancy - all the Samsung Cloud Backup and stuff

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

If you didn't need a phone last year that probably means you have a 2 year old phone, and all of these phones performance wise shit all over 801 devices.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
lol, every phone since the iPhone has come out looks like an iPhone. Get the fuck outta here. No one says "That TV looks like a TV!" or "That toaster looks like a toaster!".
30077905325_18f8b2df75_c.jpg

The V20 is nice, sure. But still too jumob-size for my liking. I still want the LG G5, but I'm waiting for the price to go down at AT&T.

diaspora

S7 and S7 Edge are fine iirc. Best phones released this year.

The pixel xl might be my next phone but... the bezels are a disappointing. Hopefully they have a screen and camera capable of matching any of the OEMs with a microSD slot.

The Pixel looks pretty great minus the bezels and I would hope that will be resolved next year if Google starts designing it themselves and not just using a rehashed design from HTC. It being "boring" is kind of expected because I feel like no phone has a truly exciting feature anymore minus just bumping up the specs every year and hoping that catches the attention of consumers. At the very least I feel like if you would compare the Pixel to the iPhone 7 they are both going to be very good phones going against one another.

Obviously we will not know everything about the Pixel until it is announced and unveiled. That being said performance between the two phones will probably be top of the line for the respective platforms. The iPhone 7 has one of the top 5 best camera's this year and the Pixel is definitely going to be in that list if we go off of how good the Nexus 5X/6P were last year. The only major thing the Pixel seems to lack is waterproofing, but you do get that headphone jack so maybe trade the two.

I'm leaning towards this unless Google can convince me otherwise with the Pixel XL. I just wished LG didn't take so long to release it after they first announced it. I think that will hurt a lot of the hype and momentum it built with all the positive unboxing and impression videos that flooded Youtube after it was first announced.

It's rubbing me the wrong way that we still don't have a confirmed date and price for this thing yet and I'm sure a lot of others feel the same way. Part of me is honestly believes that the Pixel phones will actually beat the V20 to retail in the US and that the part about the V20 being the first phone with Nougat out of the box was only about the Korean release.

I'm leaning towards this unless Google can convince me otherwise with the Pixel XL. I just wished LG didn't take so long to release it after they first announced it. I think that will hurt a lot of the hype and momentum it built with all the positive unboxing and impression videos that flooded Youtube after it was first announced.

It's rubbing me the wrong way that we still don't have a confirmed date and price for this thing yet and I'm sure a lot of others feel the same way. Part of me is honestly believes that the Pixel phones will actually beat the V20 to retail in the US and that the part about the V20 being the first phone with Nougat out of the box was only about the Korean release.

The V20 will be outdated day 1. Good luck getting Android 7.1 anytime soon on the V20.

diaspora

The Pixel looks pretty great minus the bezels and I would hope that will be resolved next year if Google starts designing it themselves and not just using a rehashed design from HTC. It being "boring" is kind of expected because I feel like no phone has a truly exciting feature anymore minus just bumping up the specs every year and hoping that catches the attention of consumers. At the very least I feel like if you would compare the Pixel to the iPhone 7 they are both going to be very good phones going against one another.

Obviously we will not know everything about the Pixel until it is announced and unveiled. That being said performance between the two phones will probably be top of the line for the respective platforms. The iPhone 7 has one of the top 5 best camera's this year and the Pixel is definitely going to be in that list if we go off of how good the Nexus 5X/6P were last year. The only major thing the Pixel seems to lack is waterproofing, but you do get that headphone jack so maybe trade the two.

It's outclassed by 6 phones, and matched by 3 others lol

It's outclassed by 6 phones, and matched by 3 others lol
Which 6 phones outclass it? It's going to have the best performance of any Android phone this year and by far the best software experience. The camera will probably either be the best Android camera this year or 2nd behind the S7/S7E/Note7. It seems like the only detering factor the phones have are that they are really expensive, but no more than what LG/Samsung/Apple are asking.

Which 6 phones outclass it? It's going to have the best performance of any Android phone this year and by far the best software experience. The camera will probably either be the best Android camera this year or 2nd behind the S7/S7E/Note7. It seems like the only detering factor the phones have are that they are really expensive, but no more than what LG/Samsung/Apple are asking.

Your making sense and not being negative like everyone else. What are you thinking?

Quasar

re: pixel, I can confirm it's almost identical to iphone pricing. So for canadians that's 400/530-550 plus tax for the base 32gb models normal and XL. This is on contract btw.

I actually like the phones tbh. A good start. If next year is the same thing with improvements to bezel and whatnot then I may go for it. They could definitely be better but a good start.

Going to admit if it is iphone priced I have no real idea what I'll do fot my next phone (which will I guess be next october as updates for my 5x will have stopped by then).

Apple can ask that price due to exclusivity and excellent support (customer and os support). Thats not something an android phone can offer (well has offered). And looking to a cheap chinese phone instead for the first time (I've only ever owned nexi) seems problematic due to my requirememt of timely os amd security updates. Hell maybe this will get me to go iphone. Guess I'll just have to see how the market and the oems respond to official consumer google phones.

Maybe samsung will try again with tizen phones.

diaspora

In camera quality, the HTC 10, new Moto, two Samsung devices and an Xperia all have better cameras. I think I'm forgetting an LG or another Sony device though. Apple isn't a leader in camera tech and haven't been for at least a couple of cycles.

edit: HTC 10, S7 Edge, Xperia X Perf, Moto Z Force Droid, S6 Edge Plus, Xperia Z5.

Based on viewing each of the testing methodologies for each device, I don't take issue with how DxO's ranked them.

diaspora

I mean, granted one doesn't have to agree with DxO, but by ask means send them an email explaining why their testing methodologies are wrong.

In camera quality, the HTC 10, new Moto, two Samsung devices and an Xperia all have better cameras. I think I'm forgetting an LG or another Sony device though. Apple isn't a leader in camera tech and haven't been for at least a couple of cycles.

edit: HTC 10, S7 Edge, Xperia X Perf, Moto Z Force Droid, S6 Edge Plus, Xperia Z5.

Based on viewing each of the testing methodologies for each device, I don't take issue with how DxO's ranked them.
That doesn't sound like a full answer as to what phones are better than the Pixel. You're saying these phones are better because the camera's are better than a phone that isn't even fully released yet? Come on, I would say the Nexus 5X/6P were in the top three for best camera's of last year and the Pixel phones are going to be even better than that. We can only speculate until it releases, but most of the phones you listed won't even be in the running this year.

You reference DXO has having some significant merit which I do not see being the case. They are no different than any other site conducting reviews and the fact that they ranked the iPhone 7 below phones like the Xperia Z5 and Moto X Droid leaves me doubtful of their legitimacy. Additionally, Android Police even ran an opinion article about them and cited how they are basically a company that makes money getting OEM's to use them and grade their camera's which would certainly make sense as to why Sony's camera's are so far up their because they probably paid for the good scores.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...cide-whose-smartphone-camera-is-best-opinion/

That doesn't sound like a full answer as to what phones are better than the Pixel. You're saying these phones are better because the camera's are better than a phone that isn't even fully released yet? Come on, I would say the Nexus 5X/6P were in the top three for best camera's of last year and the Pixel phones are going to be even better than that. We can only speculate until it releases, but most of the phones you listed won't even be in the running this year.

You reference DXO has having some significant merit which I do not see being the case. They are no different than any other site conducting reviews and the fact that they ranked the iPhone 7 below phones like the Xperia Z5 and Moto X Droid leaves me doubtful of their legitimacy. Additionally, Android Police even ran an opinion article about them and cited how they are basically a company that makes money getting OEM's to use them and grade their camera's which would certainly make sense as to why Sony's camera's are so far up their because they probably paid for the good scores.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...cide-whose-smartphone-camera-is-best-opinion/

DXO is a fraud site. They rated the Motorola pure as the best camera ever when they reviewed it last year.

diaspora

I was comparing those phones to the iPhone 7, not the Pixel. Incidentally, you taking about the opinion an Android site has of a fairly strong sensor and lens metric testing and rating site without actually offering a critique of the methodologies employed to all the devices.

teiresias

Is it? I guess it at least has a use then. The position is clearly intentional, as it's where the Apple logo is on iPhones.

Umm, it's the same placement where the fingerprint reader was on the 5X and the 6P. I'm not in love with what I've heard about the Pixel phones so far, but no need to make up trollish nonsense comments.

VoxPop

I don't even understand this design. It's like they said fuck it half way through and decided to throw a piece of glass on the back.

Well, they did leave the giant empty chin bezel on the front despite it having only been there for a button/scanner previously before they said fuck it so i wouldn't be surprised.

Top Bottom