• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Well, they did leave the giant empty chin bezel on the front despite it having only been there for a button/scanner previously before they said fuck it so i wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah can't believe they don't atleast have capacitive buttons.

This Edge screen business on the S7 Edge is plain garbage. What's the point?

I'm getting phantom touches all the time.

Pretty much the reason I'm returning mine. Edge is a pointless gimmick.

Tomorrow should be another big day before Tuesday yet...

Looks like Android Police is having another big story tomorrow that isnt Pixel related.

Also, this is happening...
mibox_zpsrgupvqfv.jpg

Umm, it's the same placement where the fingerprint reader was on the 5X and the 6P. I'm not in love with what I've heard about the Pixel phones so far, but no need to make up trollish nonsense comments.

Oh.

I guess I'm a year late to this party then, but no one can pretend it's not uncanny where the placement is with the Pixel's phone shape. It's exactly where the Apple logo is on a phone which looks exactly like an iPhone. Maybe it's not intentional, but if so I would be amazed that not one person working on this phone's design noticed this.

Jzero

I love the random empty circle on the back where the Apple logo normally goes. I'm not even sure if this is next-level trolling or not.

Is it? I guess it at least has a use then. The position is clearly intentional, as it's where the Apple logo is on iPhones.
Lmao this guy, just ignore all the freaking phones with sensors in the same place
Honestly though skip year for sure, don't want an Android iPhone

Lmao this guy, just ignore all the freaking phones with sensors in the same place

Please show me a phone with a sensor in exactly that spot which also looks like an iPhone.

The only phones I know of which even try to put things in that spot are the recent LG phones and they look nothing like iPhones.

I honestly didn't know the Nexus 5X and 6P had back fingerprint sensors. It's not something I had ever considered, because having fingerprint sensors on the front of phones just makes sense to me and I had always thought of the LG phones as anomalies.

Furthermore I wasn't trolling, that was the second thing that popped into my head when I saw that picture of the phone. First I thought ”Wow it's the Google iPhone" and then I saw the circle and I was thought "LOL they even put an empty circle where the Apple logo is supposed to be".

thuway

I don't understand how Google is expecting to sell the Pixel at 650 with that gawdy design language, poor screen to bezel ratio, and lack of features found in previous models (front facing speakers).

Why couldn't they just make the Nexus 6P Deux?

Saiyan-Rox

Looking at the other pictures are Google gonna include Allo and Duo as system apps now?

Man to get one or not....i'll be more annoyed if the software on the phone doesn't make it to the others but there's no reason it shouldn't I guess.

Also want to see it in blue.

tzare

Doesn't look THAT bad...

pixel-cw-1ftpot.png

it looks like an iphone, and that is bad looking to me with those huge bezels. In fact it is worse since it doesn't have a home button or a speaker in that empty space.
Maybe iphones get a pass because... apple, but i doubt google can sell many of those having such a dull design and premium price.

Worst year for phones ever.

last year was worse due to qualcomm, but phones were better designed imo, at least 6P was really nice, and 5x decent enough.
Next year may bring some decent improvements if 10nm is a thing though....
Also cameras seem to have already peaked

Mi Box being officially announced tomorrow

I was able to pick mine up from Walmart yesterday, but it still wouldn't ring up but convinced them to sell it to me. It's been a pretty cool device so far.
If priced a €69 i will buy one. I wish it was able to run plex media server, but probably will not.

kami_sama

I still think the chin is wasted space. Not very difficult to add some capacitative buttons, like ZTE or OP did on their phones.

Mindwipe

From the early reviews it can't even stream video properly.

Is there an review anywhere that gives a good rundown of what 4K content actually gets delivered? I mean, I know it's a 4K box, and it has Netflix. That does not actually mean it gets 4K Netflix...

it looks like an iphone, and that is bad looking to me with those huge bezels. In fact it is worse since it doesn't have a home button or a speaker in that empty space.
Maybe iphones get a pass because... apple, but i doubt google can sell many of those having such a dull design and premium price.

Ya know, I used to hate the iphone bezels, but now that I use one every day they aren't too bad. The pixel's look a bit smaller so it will atleast give me something to hold on too. I'll pick one up if the price isn't too insane, as in $650 is actually for the XL.

tzare

From the early reviews it can't even stream video properly.

lol. Isn't this supposed to be a 4K device? Maybe it is because of low quality wifi antenna?
Can you provide some links to reviews??

Ya know, I used to hate the iphone bezels, but now that I use one every day they aren't too bad. The pixel's look a bit smaller so it will atleast give me something to hold on too. I'll pick one up if the price isn't too insane, as in $650 is actually for the XL.
Well, i could live with that maybe one or two years ago, but not now, i mean, they should, at least give that empty space some use : fingerprint scanner, speakers, or my personal preference, capacitive buttons and being able to enjoy full screen for everything.

Ty4on

last year was worse due to qualcomm, but phones were better designed imo, at least 6P was really nice, and 5x decent enough.
Next year may bring some decent improvements if 10nm is a thing though....
Also cameras seem to have already peaked
I predict gimmicks, so many gimmicks to pimp cameras.

Not sure why phones are kinda crap. Every phone kinda has its weird quirks keeping it down. Cheap options have also generally gotten worse IMO. If you want a smaller phone with good specs (fast) you have to go for the iPhone or S7 and pay a small fortune.

tzare

Not sure why phones are kinda crap. Every phone kinda has its weird quirks keeping it down. Cheap options have also generally gotten worse IMO. If you want a smaller phone with good specs (fast) you have to go for the iPhone or S7 and pay a small fortune.

we already have gimmicks like dual cameras in several flavours, B/W for better image quality(huawei) wide angle(LG) , different focal lenght(Apple)..... some of them are interesing but not really a must have feature (for me the best updates for cameras have been OIS and low light improvements).

Ty4on

we already have gimmicks like dual cameras in several flavours, B/W for better image quality(huawei) wide angle(LG) , different focal lenght(Apple)..... some of them are interesing but not really a must have feature (for me the best updates for cameras have been OIS and low light improvements).
I predict improvement in image quality will come from gimmicks now that sensor size is pretty much as big as it can be. Kinda already there with phones stitching together multiple shots in auto mode and the dual camera stuff.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pixel looks good. It takes little risks but I dig the half glass back. The 6P is bolder, though. $280 for a used one is a steal.

yyzjohn

Banned
Is it? I guess it at least has a use then. The position is clearly intentional, as it's where the Apple logo is on iPhones.

The position is due to the fact that a lot of people when picking up their phones place a finger in that very position on the back, hence it works great as a fingerprint reader/unlocker.

In what world is $650 a small fortune? I mean their expensive, but not insanely expensive.

Mindwipe

Why did you include all three of Samsung's phones when they include the same camera? On that list you could easily kick the HTC 10 off because it was crappy at launch and I imagine it hasn't gotten significantly better since then.

Yeah, the iPhone 7 camera is much better than the HTC 10. I've not used the V20 in person to compare. But the iPhone 7 camera is great. As is the Samsung one.

diaspora

Sony and Nikon full frame cameras share sensor technology but nobody asks why both Sony and Nikons are included because... why would they? At least between the S and Note series, sharing the same sensor and lens isn't quite the same as sharing the same driver/software.

Why did you include all three of Samsung's phones when they include the same camera? On that list you could easily kick the HTC 10 off because it was crappy at launch and I imagine it hasn't gotten significantly better since then.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10468/the-htc-10-review/7

"It's worth mentioning here that the HTC 10 was not necessarily the best camera at launch. While I wasn't able to do in-depth characterization, it's clear to me that anyone that reviewed the camera with launch software would have a very different view of how the camera performed than anyone that would be using the camera now."

Mindwipe

Sony and Nikon full frame cameras share sensor technology but nobody asks why both Sony and Nikons are included because... why would they? At least between the S and Note series, sharing the same sensor and lens isn't quite the same as sharing the same driver/software.

I'm pretty sure they do share the same though...

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Source: Huawei passed on chance to produce Pixel phones, US division badly struggling

Well..fuck..there you go. That's why Google chose HTC (who'd gladly jump at the opportunity)

According to a source familiar with Huawei's operations, the Chinese smartphone and telecoms giant's device division has been having a very difficult time attempting to break into the fickle US market. Not only that, but rumors that Huawei was pegged as the manufacturer of Google's 2016 smartphone portfolio were, at one point, true: negotiations between Huawei and Google broke down when the latter demanded no partner logos be on its new smartphones. But the drama runs even deeper than that, if our source is to believed, starting with the Nexus program.

edit: holy shit at the dirt in this article

Jeffrey

some good dirt in that article.

now im interested in snagging a honor 8 when it bombs in price, especially with how it destroys basically every android phone on app boot up speeds.

I wonder if it will get under $300 by 2017?

RuGalz

I guess honor 8 is off the table for me if the support might just fall off the face of the planet esp if it doesn't get EMUI5.0. Every single review complains about the skin.

hitgirl

Are both Pixel phones going to be aluminum back / sides? After having a 5X, I think I miss an aluminum back. With that large of bottom bezels they really should put Android buttons there to free up screen space.

this_guy

Source: Huawei passed on chance to produce Pixel phones, US division badly struggling

Well..fuck..there you go. That's why Google chose HTC (who'd gladly jump at the opportunity)

edit: holy shit at the dirt in this article

That's interesting. I don't see how Huawei can try to sell the Huawei GX8 for $350 when their Honor sub brand sells essentially the same phone in the Honor 5x for $200. If the Honor 8 ends up being heavily discounted around the holidays I'd pick one up.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Too many phones

Companies have too many phones in their lineup. Customers get confused. You have to manufacture a ton of different stock. R&D that goes into so many different devices.

I get it. Especially in China and India ever dollar matters. So they try and have more options at closer price intervals. I just don't know if its fiscally possible to maintain.

They should have released the P9 in the US and gave it decent (Like $400-$450) pricing. It is hard to say they are serious about the US market if they aren't even going to release their flagship device. This year they jumped to the $400 market with the Honor 8, but why would anybody be interested in their devices at $400 if the $200 Honor 5X failed to garner much success? It seems very backwards to me in the sense that they should be putting out some budget devices before tackling the high-end market like that. Maybe take the Motorola approach and have a $100 device, $200 device and then a flagship. Kind of similar to how Motorola had the Moto E, Moto G, and then the Moto X (Now Moto Z).

Jeffrey

did the honor 8 event get much coverage?

their press conference was streamed on someone's smartphone on facebook really poorly, and every review was, good phone but lol emui, get a OP3 or axon 7 instead for $400.

they really should have gotten around to getting the 5.0 update out first with the supposedly more 'stock' design.

xero273

I'll still wait until after the pixel event but for the $400 range phones it is between OP3 and Axon 7? between those two which one is a better buy?

this_guy

They should have released the P9 in the US and gave it decent (Like $400-$450) pricing.

That's essentially what the Honor 8 is. Instead of metal body it's glass, and the cpu top speed is lowered slightly, but everything else is P9 but at a much lower price. It's essentially Huawei's GX8 ($350) compared to Honor 5X($200).

kharma45

Pixel looks good. It takes little risks but I dig the half glass back. The 6P is bolder, though. $280 for a used one is a steal.

What I'm surprised about is the SD card slot being back. At least according to what Carphone Warehouse had up about it.

Top Bottom