• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

I cancelled my price glitch axon 7 order and ordered a 6p for $279. Axon 7 resale prices have tanked anyway and I want that 7.1 deliciousness this week.

teiresias

I cancelled my price glitch axon 7 order and ordered a 6p for $279. Axon 7 resale prices have tanked anyway and I want that 7.1 deliciousness this week.

I'm hoping those used 6P stick around past the announcement tomorrow so I can grab one if I don't like what I see. I'm a little hesitant to get a used 6P with unknown defects though.

Saiyan-Rox

All the Nexus are OOS on the UK store (may have been for ages)

Damn i'm hyped for tomorrow....hope the Pixel C gets all these new things cause atm we don't know if the software will be exclusive do we?

As I argue in the Pixel thread that you can only fit so much hardware into a smaller body thus the need for larger bezels I have to question what kind of magic LG was working with when they made the G2. Seriously, the phone is smaller in height and width than many 5 inch phones available today except it has a 5.2" display. I went and watched some old reviews to see what negatives the phone possessed since I never owned one and it seems like the only cons were the plastic build quality and the buttons being on the back.

Now there's the whole you can only fit so much in those smaller bodies argument I used, but the G2 had a ton of hardware inside of it. It had OIS, an IR blaster, a huge 3000mAh battery and the latest high-end components available at the time. Now I am not quite sure how CPU advances work, but if I was to assume that the lower nm means the chipset is smaller than I would have to assume that the Snapdragon 800 took up more internal space than the 820 does.

this_guy

As I argue in the Pixel thread that you can only fit so much hardware into a smaller body thus the need for larger bezels I have to question what kind of magic LG was working with when they made the G2. Seriously, the phone is smaller in height and width than many 5 inch phones available today except it has a 5.2" display. I went and watched some old reviews to see what negatives the phone possessed since I never owned one and it seems like the only cons were the plastic build quality and the buttons being on the back.

Now there's the whole you can only fit so much in those smaller bodies argument I used, but the G2 had a ton of hardware inside of it. It had OIS, an IR blaster, a huge 3000mAh battery and the latest high-end components available at the time. Now I am not quite sure how CPU advances work, but if I was to assume that the lower nm means the chipset is smaller than I would have to assume that the Snapdragon 800 took up more internal space than the 820 does.

Look at the Axon 7 for another phone with small bezels. Even has front facing speakers too.

Jeffrey

Wonder if google will ever get around to making chrome not suck? It's seriously the biggest pain point of android performance atm compare to apple, which nitro engine wrecks in every benchmark, also you can get adblockers officially off their app store.

Having to resort to dling some chromium apk made by the chinese and sync my google account to it to get a decent web browsing experience is less than optimal.

I'm hoping those used 6P stick around past the announcement tomorrow so I can grab one if I don't like what I see. I'm a little hesitant to get a used 6P with unknown defects though.

They are in good shape and have warranty. Most of them are just returns from people that decided they didn't want them. They will all be gone by tomorrow if not already.

Jeffrey

So what is the general consensus on 6p here after a year, and now with nougat?

Seems like some people love it, while others say the 810 killed their family.

I think it's fine. The 810 does cause some issues, mainly in terms of being very warm when used a lot and can also, at some points, be a hindrance to the battery life. But it's kind of random on how that is.

RuGalz

While processor gates are getting smaller, more features are being added so the physical size is probably not really getting smaller. Otoh, they are running hotter and need better heat dissipation. HTC 10 is just barely larger than G2. My question is why couldn't they fit 3000mah battery in Pixel. (My guess is because the fingerprint is on the back which takes up the space.) iPhone 7 probably is still going to have the largest bezel while hosting a 1960mah battery. You gotta wonder how much space they wasted for the haptic chip.

People that love it don't care about about battery life. The 6p is getting like 3 hours of SOT max for most people with Nougat. Not very good for that size battery.

My 5x gets 2 hours SOT

hitgirl

People that love it don't care about about battery life. The 6p is getting like 3 hours of SOT max for most people with Nougat. Not very good for that size battery.

My 5x gets 2 hours SOT

I'm getting 2 hours SOT on my 5X too. Though I'm running CM13 and a ton of other crap. Need to reset rom some weekend.

Quasar

My 5x gets 2 hours SOT

I'm not really sure what I get on my 5x, I do get a day and a half to 2 days per charge though.

Dobsie

Picked up my old g2 the other day and really missed the form factor, shame its cheapy plastic and the dev scene for it wasn't great. The stable-est version of cm12.1 (or 13 I can't remember) was removed from the cm servers and I think a copy that I uploaded to gdrive was the only available source for a few months.

I've had my 6p since march and I love it, little big sometimes, having to remove it from pockets when I sit down or crouch down in certain trousers can be a bit annoying. Battery life has reduced a bit under nougat, I am getting 4 hours sot now, I'm sure it'll improve when 7.1 hits as android os/system are still too high.
It does it quite hot when the temperature outside is warm and I use navigation but not really noticed any slow downs.

snacknuts

we all knew her

Got mine at launch and it's the best phone I've ever owned (and I have owned a lot of both Anrdoid and iOS devices). However, I don't game or spend hours on it every day, so I haven't had issues with insufficient SoT or heat. I take it off the charger in the morning and the battery is usually at 40-50% when I go to bed. It's fast and the camera is great.

Paznos

Anyone picked up or picking up the Mibox? I have a Nexus Player that I barely use and am deciding whether I should get it or not.

Yeah I picked mine up a couple of days ago from Walmart selling it early, I love mine but have only used plex and youtube with it so far.

Quasar

I find this really hard to believe.

Is true though. I imagine it just says more about my usage than anything, which is mostly as a audiplayer if I'm honest. I'm not actually using a lot of screen time. Sporadic short use of email, sms, google and a few other apps to do with health tracking. My heavy screen time is on my ipad.

For instance its currently at 64% after 14 hours and says 1 day 9 hr left. And looking at screen time its a mere 27 minutes.

Quick question: I've been getting dinged really badly on Chrome's data usage lately. I know nothing about ad blocking either on mobile or desktop and I haven't been rooted since the Galaxy Nexus days (currently using a Nexus 6P).

What's the best way to figure out how much of my data usage is from ads and to run an experiment in how much I would save if I block them? Is it even legal to block them?

HawkeyeIC

Quick question: I've been getting dinged really badly on Chrome's data usage lately. I know nothing about ad blocking either on mobile or desktop and I haven't been rooted since the Galaxy Nexus days (currently using a Nexus 6P).

What's the best way to figure out how much of my data usage is from ads and to run an experiment in how much I would save if I block them? Is it even legal to block them?

Do you have the data saving feature on?

If you have a snapdragon phone, you could use RS Browser instead, which had ad blocking built in.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well, we're almost at the announcement time. If the Pixel is great, great. If it isn't, I look forward to the price drops.

Just get RSBrowser if you're using a Snapdragon phone.

Well, we're almost at the announcement time. If the Pixel is great, great. If it isn't, I look forward to the price drops.

Just get RSBrowser if you're using a Snapdragon phone.
Trying RSBrowser now. Is it impossible to sign in with Google or something? When I try to, it tells me the account already exists on my phone... by I don't get a chance to actually *choose* it.

Can you install plex media server on it?

Doubt its powerful enough for that even if you could.

Remote is more premium and has volume buttons. More common chipset.

Honestly, the nexus player is a cheap, buggy piece of shit. The chipset in it just isnt supported well. It was like a one hit wonder for intel.

Anyone having issues with the recent version of Hangouts on 5.1?

Not receiving notifications/texts/calls until I wake the device it seems

wilflare

Source: Huawei passed on chance to produce Pixel phones, US division badly struggling

Well..fuck..there you go. That's why Google chose HTC (who'd gladly jump at the opportunity)

edit: holy shit at the dirt in this article

man this is sad to read.
we could have gotten that Nexus 6P-2 :/
hope that would happen for 2017

where are you seeing it for $279

SourSamo

Yeah I picked mine up a couple of days ago from Walmart selling it early, I love mine but have only used plex and youtube with it so far.

I can't find anyone talking about it, how has Plex been? Got a 4k tv and need to upgrade my Roku anyways, this seems like a winner

Paznos

I can't find anyone talking about it, how has Plex been? Got a 4k tv and need to upgrade my Roku anyways, this seems like a winner

It was just released today, but some people have had it for over a week and I don't think Walmart will officially start selling it til later this week.

Plex has been running great on it for me, interface is fast and snappy, a lot better than the Plex app I was using on my Samsung smart tv from a few years ago.

Top Bottom