• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

this_guy

Is this like pre-disappointment then?

Pretty much. I'm still holding out hope that the Pixel phones will be discounted if you sign up for Fi, but knowing Verizon has an exclusive means they're throwing marketing dollars behind it and will want at least a timed exclusive from Google.

Welp Google now officially has amazons old head of Kindle and echo in addition to the old head of Motorola.

We are going to see some sick hardware in the future. Time for for people/competition to take this new hardware division seriously.

ThisOne

Pulled the trigger on the Honor 8. I was planning on waiting to see Google's phones, but they will be too expensive anyway. Happy so far with what I got.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I HATE how tabs are no longer apps on RSBrowser. It stinks with the multitasking button. Tabs and not apps are far more complicated.

Jeffrey

So basically they're expecting people to pay premium prices just to get timely updates on their phones?

that is actually a fair reason why folks go ios.

But... with the whole battery issue with nougat on last year's phones, do people really want google updates that hot out of the oven?

Wanting reliable updates for my phone is one of the big reasons I want a Google phone. Obviously Pixel phones will be best for that, but are there any other manufacturers who do a good job of pushing out Android updates in a timely fashion? Obviously it doesn't need to be a immediately, but surely some other manufacturer doesn't le me than a month or two pass.

that is actually a fair reason why folks go ios.

But... with the whole battery issue with nougat on last year's phones, do people really want google updates that hot out of the oven?

Qualcomm botched the 2015 phones. Home many times does this need to be mentioned?

Quasar

Wanting reliable updates for my phone is one of the big reasons I want a Google phone. Obviously Pixel phones will be best for that, but are there any other manufacturers who do a good job of pushing out Android updates in a timely fashion? Obviously it doesn't need to be a immediately, but surely some other manufacturer doesn't le me than a month or two pass.

Not really in terms of OS updates. For security updates, a couple of oems seem to be trying to stay in sync with monthly updates (Samsung and LG).

Jeffrey

Wonder if any sites keep track? At the very least most 2016 flagships should be on September security update atm. Not sure about Motorola.

NotBacon

Honestly if it's a great phone (like an upgraded 6P with a couple standout features) the price is understandable. Definitely disappointing given the history of Nexus pricing, but understandable. Premium price for a premium phone.

So basically they're expecting people to pay premium prices just to get timely updates on their phones?

Or maybe they're expecting people to pay premium prices because........... it's a premium phone like the 6P? We'll know in 9 hours.

tzare

Welp Google now officially has amazons old head of Kindle and echo in addition to the old head of Motorola.

We are going to see some sick hardware in the future. Time for for people/competition to take this new hardware division seriously.

i'd love to see an e-reader from them that could sync withh play books

You can install Plex Media Player but haven't tried to install server, like osiris said, I don't think it's powerful enough for that.
thanks, media server was released for shield that is way more powerful, but if the mi box has dedicated hw for decoding media maybe, despite relatively weak soc, it could handle one stream or maybe two.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
google-pixel-blue-840x611.jpg

A fast-fingered redditor (/u/abattleofone) also grabbed the pricing for the devices. When subsidized, the Pixel in 32GB guise will cost $199.99 (typical for Verizon phones that retail for $650); with 128GB, it'll cost $299.99. The redditor wasn't able to grab the 32GB Pixel XL's price, but found the 128GB XL's price to be $419.99 - that's $120 more than the 128GB standard model. Using basic math skills, we can infer that the 32GB XL will go for $319.99. Considering that we're fairly certain the Pixel will retail for $650, unsubsidized, the 32GB Pixel XL's price may very well be $770 (and $870 for the 128GB XL).

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...wing-off-blue-color-google-magic/#ap-lightbox

.......well then

wilflare

I HATE how tabs are no longer apps on RSBrowser. It stinks with the multitasking button. Tabs and not apps are far more complicated.

man. I thought I settled back in on Chrome Beta...
maybe it's time to go back on RSBrowser (hope updates were in-line with Chrome Beta though :/)

A minimum of $770 for the Pixel XL? Well if LG decides that the V20 is hot shit that needs to cost $800 as well then I think I might actually jump on the Chinese bandwagon and wait for a good daydream ready phone for $500 or less.

FFP2

I don't get why they want to price it so high. Apple and Samsung can get away with it due to strong marketing/brand recognition but the majority of people don't know/care about Nexus phones. The average consumer will see the price and pick the other two because that's the brand they are most familiar with.

Soodanim

I've waited all this time and now on the day of announcement I decide to read reviews for the OnePlus 3 and learn about the Axon 7. I might see if there's a physical OP3 in o2 (UK) for me to take a look at in person today, but like others at the moment it seems to be a choice between those two. I don't want to pay more than £350 for a phone but I still want something good! Unless Pixel really impresses to the point where money doesn't matter, I'm not returning to Nexus for 2.0.

Edit:

I think I've decided. The software changes plus the silent switch makes the OP3 seem amazing. I want to buy it today! Do we have a time for the Pixel announcement?

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah, doa on almost every country.
Shit, in Europe, they charged a lot more for the 5X and 6P than in the US.
I shudder thinking the pricing on these phones here.

My guess is they used the 5X and 6P pricing in EU to see if they could get away with pricing like that as far as sales numbers go. I guess they got their answer.

kami_sama

My guess is they used the 5X and 6P pricing in EU to see if they could get away with pricing like that as far as sales numbers go. I guess they got their answer.

I don't know. I've seen more people with the Nexus 5 than the 6P or 5X, only counting this year.

Dobsie

There's a new factory image for the 6p, more than likely just the October security updates, I can't install atm, has anyone updated and noticed any improvements on battery life?

Saiyan-Rox

The blue one has a white front?

Ugh

$770 O.O fuck that thing is gonna be about the same here...come on Google no fricken way will this thing sell at that price.

770$ for the 32GB Pixel XL? That's around 1000$ CAD... lmao
it's going to be 530 on contract in canada for the base XL

anyway, I don't post here much these days because I'm bored of android lately but even with the criticisms like the price and ridiculous bezel*, I still think it's going to be the best android phone someone can get.

*depending on whether or not the bottom actually has a function.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The pricing is fine. It's in line with premium phones. It has nearly every premium phone feature except water proofing. People complain about high pricing the iPhone but it comes with a great build, strong warranty, Apple Store customer service. These things cost money. People complain about One Plus customer service but then complain about high Apple pricing. You sacrifice something somewhere.

Pixel phone isn't meant to be bought off contract for a lump sum. If that's the case, I'd price it high, too. No one but some of us pay attention to the full price of the phone. Most people only care about the up front cost and then contract cost because most people are poors who don't understand money. It's the mobile phone strategy in the USA.

Let's see how it works out. I bet it'll bomba like the Nexus 6 did. That was on carriers, too. I don't know why people act like a Google phone sold by carriers is some special, new uncharted territory. The only thing different this time is it's a Pixel, not a Nexus. Am I wrong or missing something?

If the Pixel is great, great. If it stinks, then we all lose. If it's overpriced, wait 6 weeks.

Saiyan-Rox

I'm gonna miss the event later :( Still don't know if I should jump from my OP3 to get one of these but the issue being is contracts....I fuckin hate contracts!

The pricing is fine. It's in line with premium phones. It has nearly every premium phone feature except water proofing. People complain about high pricing the iPhone but it comes with a great build, strong warranty, Apple Store customer service. These things cost money. People complain about One Plus customer service but then complain about high Apple pricing. You sacrifice something somewhere.

Pixel phone isn't meant to be bought off contract for a lump sum. If that's the case, I'd price it high, too. No one but some of us pay attention to the full price of the phone. Most people only care about the up front cost and then contract cost because most people are poors who don't understand money. It's the mobile phone strategy in the USA.

Let's see how it works out. I bet it'll bomba like the Nexus 6 did. That was on carriers, too. I don't know why people act like a Google phone sold by carriers is some special, new uncharted territory. The only thing different this time is it's a Pixel, not a Nexus. Am I wrong or missing something?

If the Pixel is great, great. If it stinks, then we all lose. If it's overpriced, wait 6 weeks.
From a branding/marketing perspective this seems like their first real push. I guess this is when we find out if the name google means anything to smartphone buyers. It's launching on seemingly every carrier in a lot of the world, will likely have tons of marketing behind it, marketed as 100% their phone, etc...

Even the 6P...it was always labelled as "Nexus 6P" at all the carriers, had huawei branding, and had just about ZERO marketing. This will be the Google Pixel, likely have many ads, be available at every carrier, prominently show off all their services, etc...

Saiyan-Rox

From a branding/marketing perspective this seems like their first real push. I guess this is when we find out if the name google means anything to smartphone buyers. It's launching on seemingly every carrier in a lot of the world, will likely have tons of marketing behind it, marketed as 100% their phone, etc...

Even the 6P...it was always labelled as "Nexus 6P" at all the carriers, had huawei branding, and had just about ZERO marketing. This will be the Google Pixel, likely have many ads, be available at every carrier, prominently show off all their services, etc...

it is great to see Google finally going after apple properly but with all the cheap alternitives out there I still don't think it'll work very well.

The only people who will know what the Pixel is is people like us so Google will really really have to push this out there to everyone.

Top Bottom