• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The pricing is fine. It's in line with premium phones. It has nearly every premium phone feature except water proofing. People complain about high pricing the iPhone but it comes with a great build, strong warranty, Apple Store customer service. These things cost money. People complain about One Plus customer service but then complain about high Apple pricing. You sacrifice something somewhere.

Pixel phone isn't meant to be bought off contract for a lump sum. If that's the case, I'd price it high, too. No one but some of us pay attention to the full price of the phone. Most people only care about the up front cost and then contract cost because most people are poors who don't understand money. It's the mobile phone strategy in the USA.

Let's see how it works out. I bet it'll bomba like the Nexus 6 did. That was on carriers, too. I don't know why people act like a Google phone sold by carriers is some special, new uncharted territory. The only thing different this time is it's a Pixel, not a Nexus. Am I wrong or missing something?

If the Pixel is great, great. If it stinks, then we all lose. If it's overpriced, wait 6 weeks.

Apple has a proven track record in this area as well as a gazillion stores for people to go for support and warranty. Google has none of that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Apple has a proven track record in this area as well as a gazillion stores for people to go for support and warranty. Google has none of that.
Gotta start somewhere. It's me basically saying customer service costs money. If GAFers want it, quit complaining things aren't as cheap as the Chinese One Plus or Axon phones. Looking at specs is just one consideration. Apple stuff is an excellent value.

Vanillalite

Gotta start somewhere. It's me basically saying customer service costs money. If GAFers want it, quit complaining things aren't as cheap as the Chinese One Plus or Axon phones. Looking at specs is just one consideration. Apple stuff is an excellent value.

Google hasnt actually done anything to make me assured customer service is better.

If I have to call some 1-800 number and sit through a bunch of automated promps it's not better than me doing the same shit for Axon.

Everyone loves Apple customer service cause they can go to a physical store and get that shit handled in person.

this_guy

I thought contracts were a thing of the past with US carriers and only people with grandfathered plans could still get subsidized phones? True you can finance and add to the monthly cost of your wireless plan but you can't hide the true cost of the phone any more by subsidizing.

DrFurbs

I am categorically DONE with Android and google phones. For such a large battery in the 6p I get an average of 14 hours a day with 3.25 SOT.

I have most things turned off and this is just the same behaviour as it was in MM and battery drains in Lollipop. I have no idea what is causing this - i constantly try suggestions posted on the internet and nothing appears to make much of a difference.

Last night i charged the phone to 100% - woke up and 10% drain on doze. I checked - the wifi was on all night despite telling to NOT to scan when asleep. So i went into each app and to check the permissions.

In the end, im just sick of having to make concessions with Android OSs and phones. I'm not sure if Apple is any better , I'll research that when it comes to changing this contract.

Oh and prior to Nougat i was getting around 19hours on a new 6p. Now its 3 less.

Just sick of this.

Jigolo

I am categorically DONE with Android and google phones. For such a large battery in the 6p I get an average of 14 hours a day with 3.25 SOT.

I have most things turned off and this is just the same behaviour as it was in MM and battery drains in Lollipop. I have no idea what is causing this - i constantly try suggestions posted on the internet and nothing appears to make much of a difference.

Last night i charged the phone to 100% - woke up and 10% drain on doze. I checked - the wife was on all night despite telling to NOT to scan when asleep. So i went into each app and to check the permissions.

In the end, im just sick of having to make concessions with Android OSs and phones. I'm not sure if Apple is any better , I'll research that when it comes to changing this contract.

Oh and prior to Nougat i was getting around 19hours on a new 6p. Now its 3 less.

Just sick of this.

Get an iPhone 6S+ or 7 and enjoy great battery without the Android bullshit. I did because like you I was tired of Google's and Android's shit.

Aiii

So not worth it

Last night i charged the phone to 100% - woke up and 10% drain on doze. I checked - the wife was on all night despite telling to NOT to scan when asleep. So i went into each app and to check the permissions.

Just sick of this.

I'm exactly at the same point as you. You either have good hardware, but get slow OS updates (or none at all), leaving you with no feature updates unless you buy a new phone. Or you have updates and it's pretty much hit or miss whether it'll ruin your phone or not.

Apple is much better, for 3 years (at least) you're guaranteed an update and very rarely does the update break your phone (there are occasions where this has happened, but it has never taken more than a few weeks before a bugfix is released), after those three years you'll either stop getting updates, or there's a chance your phone won't be able to keep up with the update speed wise and you'll find your phone underperforming, but that's still a whole lot better than what Android is doing.

Fatalah

Looking at the last few posts...What a way for Android GAF to start Google's big hardware day. That's GAF in a nutshell.

shingi70

Banned
Or people should just move over to iOS and stop complaining since it's oh so much better.

Don't be so defensive dude, it's the worst part of Android fanboyism.

Google is a weird company that seems to do year reboots of their hardware and software product lines. This event today looks like it's going to be a testbed for next year which should be even more important for the Google ecosystem. The thing is for all of the Google magic, if Google wants to be successful in this market they have to think unlike google.

I was all set to jump in with the pixel XL, but between it being Verizon exclusive (why?) and Google fit kinda being crap, I think I'm going to give iOS a shot for once.

Looking at the last few posts...What a way for Android GAF to start Google's big hardware day. That's GAF in a nutshell.

The problem for me is that I can't see Google putting anything out, that hasn't been done just as good or better. That's not to say it's a bad thing. Not at all. More competition is always great.

But for me it's not really interesting, if you're not 100% set to live in Google's world. It's obviously great for people who already live in their ecosystem, but if you try to be platform agnostic (where it makes sense), a Google router or Echo equivalent is just not very appealing, much less exciting.

yyzjohn

Banned
Given that I'm on a corporate plan and I get to upgrade every 12 months on the on-contract price, I'm in this day 1. Bring it googy!

RuGalz

Don't be so defensive dude, it's the worst part of Android fanboyism.

Me being defensive of Google? lol And is there really less defense force of iOS? lol. I think people should just vote with their wallets unless everyone's having stockholm syndrome.

It's like next Android OT should be Bitchin' about Android and nothing else.

lol no it's not, there's not even a back button. I wish Google and Apple just made one GOAT OS.

And together we will see $1000 phones as the norm! I do think Android seriously need a reboot however. The architecture is so haphazardly put together.

NH Apache

Banned

Last night i charged the phone to 100% - woke up and 10% drain on doze. I checked - the wifi was on all night despite telling to NOT to scan when asleep. So i went into each app and to check the permissions.

Just sick of this.

Yeah! PalmOS for life!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pixel phones next year should be interesting. This year... Nah. Too late to be meaningful, hardware wise.

The pricing is fine. It's in line with premium phones. It has nearly every premium phone feature except water proofing. People complain about high pricing the iPhone but it comes with a great build, strong warranty, Apple Store customer service. These things cost money. People complain about One Plus customer service but then complain about high Apple pricing. You sacrifice something somewhere.

Pixel phone isn't meant to be bought off contract for a lump sum. If that's the case, I'd price it high, too. No one but some of us pay attention to the full price of the phone. Most people only care about the up front cost and then contract cost because most people are poors who don't understand money. It's the mobile phone strategy in the USA.

Let's see how it works out. I bet it'll bomba like the Nexus 6 did. That was on carriers, too. I don't know why people act like a Google phone sold by carriers is some special, new uncharted territory. The only thing different this time is it's a Pixel, not a Nexus. Am I wrong or missing something?

If the Pixel is great, great. If it stinks, then we all lose. If it's overpriced, wait 6 weeks.

I don't think it's going to drop if sales are low. Rumor has it a mid range is still coming mid year.

shingi70

Banned
Me being defensive of Google? lol And is there really less defense force of iOS? lol. I think people should just vote with their wallets unless everyone's having stockholm syndrome.

It's like next Android OT should be Bitchin' about Android and nothing else.

And together we will see $1000 phones as the norm! I do think Android seriously need a reboot however. The architecture is so haphazardly put together.

Pretty sure that's what Andremeda is going to ond up being, new OS that works with Android apps and to end up being Google's windows 10.

Yeah! PalmOS for life!

Touchpad and those last WebOS phones were pretty legit.

Bboy AJ

The blue is just not good aesthetically pleasing at all with the white front. We need more blue like dat Honor 8 blue.
Stinks there's no white model. Silver is ugly.

I like the blue. And I especially like the blue having a white front. Good decision. It's more fun. Black wouldn't work.

Mindwipe

It's just difficult for me to see why you'd pay that much for a Pixel given the competition. Samsung also have stores I can go to for instant repairs, two year warranties, and best in class cameras. Google aren't going to be able to deliver two of those. I think it's a legitimate thing that customer service is a good counter against the horrible warranty experience of, say, Sony, but Google aren't really competing against Sony.

The Pixel's aren't hugely feature poor, but they are a bit too bland and don't have any standout features to drive that sort of purchasing lust that enables higher pricing, IMO. It's notable that Samsung's recent success has been good phones that look sexy too - and the sexy Edge versions sell way better, despite being arguably less usable. The front of the Pixel looks cheap.

yyzjohn

Banned

Just sick of this.

If battery life is what concerns you then switch to iPhone. It'll last you all day and then some, cause alot of stuff doesn't run in the background.

Mindwipe

Things I care about from today -

• Daydream. Who's getting it. Will the Samsung Gear devices get it? Can I sideload apps into it's UI? Can the bluetooth controller API get modernised? When does the "partner wall" come down? What will the sensor requirements be for phones? How much will it be locked down, or will it just get ported to older devices?
  • Does Google try and hold back Assistant for Pixel devices for example, or accept that's not gonna happen and start pushing it out straight away?
  • Are Google Play 4K services launching?
  • Does Google have a Chromecast surprise like support for Amazon Video?
  • Why the fuck do the Google Routers exist, and do they apologise for droppping the ball last time?
  • Will Google Home be available straight away, and will it be US only?
  • Where's my damn new Nexus 7?
  • What are you doing to make Allo/Duo less embarrassing?
  • Andromeda. Moar.
  • Maybe throw us a bone and ship the Pixel C keyboard with a built in trackpad it actually needs.
  • What messaging apps do the Pixel's ship with? Will they finally do shit like SMS backup?
  • If the Pixel's get free photo backup do other devices on your account get it too? Other Pixel devices only?

reKon

Banned
If battery life is what concerns you then switch to iPhone. It'll last you all day and then some, cause alot of stuff doesn't run in the background.

Let's just ignored all the Android phones that deliver better battery life than a iPhone in an Android thread, yay!

teiresias

Freaking $870 to get higher than 32GB storage on the Pixel, Haha.

Go away, Google, you're drunk. I swear, their entire brand is going into the shitter.

Soodanim

I just looked more into the OP3 while walking to the o2 shop to look at it in person. Read about the pentile woes, and I'm torn. The text doesn't look horrible, but it doesn't look that clear either. It's a damn shame, that phone nearly had everything I needed.

hitgirl

Too many good chinese phones for the pricing. I can see it appealing to people on Verizon who don't have many phone options and usually go with contract pricing. I'm on Verizon with 3 phones all off contract, so I think my best case is just buying last years flagship.

So I will wait for Nexus 6P price drop new and sell my 5X. When do you guys think I can snag a new 6P for a good price?

Vanillalite

Too many good chinese phones for the pricing. I can see it appealing to people on Verizon who don't have many phone options and usually go with contract pricing. I'm on Verizon with 3 phones all off contract, so I think my best case is just buying last years flagship.

So I will wait for Nexus 6P price drop new and sell my 5X. When do you guys think I can snag a new 6P for a good price?

By time you can snag a 6P for a cheap price next year's batch of mid range phones are gonna be out that kill the 810.

I bought a BLU HD R1 the other day to tide me over while I wait for the next great phone to come out and other than the shit camera for 60 bucks this phone is surprisingly competent. I'm able to crank out 5hrs SOT, it's fast enough to do stuff that isn't graphic intensive and the amazon ads aren't that annoying.

Plus there is something nice about owning a phone that cost 60 bucks, its the first phone I've owned without a case or screen protector and i'm not treating it like its my genitalia hoping i don't drop it or crack it in some way who gives a fuck if you break a 60 dollar phone.

Aiii

So not worth it
Plus there is something nice about owning a phone that cost 60 bucks, its the first phone I've owned without a case or screen protector and i'm not treating it like its my genitalia hoping i don't drop it or crack it in some way who gives a fuck if you break a 60 dollar phone.

This is how I use every phone, regardless of its price.

Vanillalite

Yeah Ruddock dropped it in a tweet. That means Google will stick with their pricing most of the year.

What does that even mean phone wise though?

How can it be midrange if it's got a 830 chip?

If it's a rebranded OP3 hardware spec wise in spring of next year who's gonna buy that when you could get a cheap 830 phone instead?

Soodanim

Is there any way of replicating the features of the OnePlus 3? If I'm not going to get it, I'd at least like to get some of its features. I like the way you can customise the nav buttons on double tap or hold. I'd definitely use that if I could have it on another phone. Maybe through Xposed or something like that?

On the topic of Xposed, does it have to be rooted to have/use? Things like banking apps don't let you use them if you've rooted, some even if you disable the root when using the app. At least, that's how it was the last time I looked into it. If they make me choose, I choose banking apps.

hitgirl

Is there any way of replicating the features of the OnePlus 3? If I'm not going to get it, I'd at least like to get some of its features. I like the way you can customise the nav buttons on double tap or hold. I'd definitely use that if I could have it on another phone. Maybe through Xposed or something like that?

On the topic of Xposed, does it have to be rooted to have/use? Things like banking apps don't let you use them if you've rooted, some even if you disable the root when using the app. At least, that's how it was the last time I looked into it. If they make me choose, I choose banking apps.

Hmm, I use on Verizon a Nexus 5X rooted and running Xposed. I can use BOA, Discover, Chase, Transamerican, and Fidelity Apps on my phone with no problem. You can do a ton of things with Xposed, could imagine customizing the navigation buttons would be easy.

Top Bottom