• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Saiyan-Rox

Canadian carrier says it's launching October 20th with $50 play credit and a Chromecast.

So launch in the UK will be more expensive and come with nothing.

Also hope these features come to the pixel c and Nexus for you guys.

RuGalz

Hmm, I use on Verizon a Nexus 5X rooted and running Xposed. I can use BOA, Discover, Chase, Transamerican, and Fidelity Apps on my phone with no problem. You can do a ton of things with Xposed, could imagine customizing the navigation buttons would be easy.

But you are not on custom rom right? I'm fairly sure you still have to be on stock based rom because they are signed.

hitgirl

Actually I just noticed Android Pay isn't in your list. I assume it doesn't work?

Android Pay doesn't work on rooted phones. I do believe you can run a custom version of android that you can root, run exposed, and still have android pay. Though I don't really use Android Pay that much to make it worth it (think whole foods is the only place that uses it which I frequent).

Maybe I'll just post my OT and mods can merge if Gcubed makes one. It really should have been posted hours ago not 15 minutes before the event.

RuGalz

Android Pay doesn't work on rooted phones. I do believe you can run a custom version of android that you can root, run exposed, and still have android pay. Though I don't really use Android Pay that much to make it worth it (think whole foods is the only place that uses it which I frequent).

I think you used to be able to trick it but Google has closed down various loopholes so it pretty much only works on signed roms now, at least that's what I've gathered. It's hard to get non-conflicting answers that's why I asked.

hitgirl

I think you used to be able to trick it but Google has closed down various loopholes so it pretty much only works on signed roms now, at least that's what I've gathered. It's hard to get non-conflicting answers that's why I asked.

Gotcha, yea I haven't gone down the Android Pay rabbit hole much to see if you can.

VoxPop

Watch Pixel be the GOAT Android phone of 2016 and have everyone in hear eating crow. Wish them the best but those specs, design and pricing doesn't seem like it's gonna wow anyone.

RuGalz

That unlimited photo/video storage at full resolution is almost enough to sell me one (if it's not limited to photo/video from the phone only). Being able to share 100s of G of images from my SLR to family more easily. I wonder if they will limit that perk to people picking it up this year. Otherwise, I'll pick it up later after the price drops a bit.

Soodanim

Hmm, I use on Verizon a Nexus 5X rooted and running Xposed. I can use BOA, Discover, Chase, Transamerican, and Fidelity Apps on my phone with no problem. You can do a ton of things with Xposed, could imagine customizing the navigation buttons would be easy.

Looking into it a little bit now, it just seems to be Barclays and PingIt (UK) and Android Pay. But those are enough to keep me from rooting.

Bloodember

Pixel is exclusive to Verizon in the US apparently, this is according to 9to5google.com. This is bullshit, there's no way I'd switch to another carrier for a damn phone. Guess I'm out.

this_guy

That unlimited photo/video storage at full resolution is almost enough to sell me one (if it's not limited to photo/video from the phone only). Being able to share 100s of G of images from my SLR to family more easily. I wonder if they will limit that perk to people picking it up this year. Otherwise, I'll pick it up later after the price drops a bit.

What happens to unlimited full res photo storage when you switch phones next year?

RuGalz

What happens next year to unlimited full res photo storage when you switch phones next year?

I assume I can just keep the device registered to my account (not sell it) to continue that perk. Otherwise, I guess they keep the full res but you can only see limited res. Hope they put up a faq soon.

Saiyan-Rox

i knew the price was gonna be high but jesus

Seems like this is a contract phone over all....I could never drop that amount of money in 1 go for a phone....i'd be killed

Pretty disappointing event overall in my opinion. The Google Assistant just looks like a re-branded Google Now and they didn't show off anything that Siri/Cortana/Google Now doesn't already do. Daydream looks like it is in a really early state as far as software goes which is kind of disappointing given the fact that Gear VR already has an established catalog of software. Google Home looks interesting I guess, but I am not really interested in those kind of devices right now.

The Pixel Phones look even worse than I expected. Seemingly no OIS which was a huge omission last year and nothing else we didn't already know about. I was really thinking they might have done the speaker setup that the iPhone 7 and HTC 10 does, but nope it just has a bottom speaker and that is it. I just personally find it to be way too expensive given that it lacks features that other flagships have.

Pretty disappointing event overall in my opinion. The Google Assistant just looks like a re-branded Google Now and they didn't show off anything that Siri/Cortana/Google Now doesn't already do. Daydream looks like it is in a really early state as far as software goes which is kind of disappointing given the fact that Gear VR already has an established catalog of software. Google Home looks interesting I guess, but I am not really interested in those kind of devices right now.

The Pixel Phones look even worse than I expected. Seemingly no OIS which was a huge omission last year and nothing else we didn't already know about. I was really thinking they might have done the speaker setup that the iPhone 7 and HTC 10 does, but nope it just has a bottom speaker and that is it. I just personally find it to be way too expensive given that it lacks features that other flagships have.

Google now does not hold conversations like that. No assistant does.

Soodanim

Between no wireless charging and glass being used on the back I think I'm done with Google. Pixel ain't for me. These prices are higher than the S7 (at least in the UK) and (IMO) worse phones.

I can't actually find the Axon 7 in the UK online and I'm not sure about the OP3 anymore, although it does seem to be the best phone in my price range. What's the rough guesstimate of the OP4 release? Non-pentile 1080p AMOLED please.

Aiii

So not worth it
Google now does not hold conversations like that. No assistant does.

They all can.

Simple example, I can ask Siri how late it is in San Fransisco. Then I can ask it "how warm is it there?" And it will give me the weather in SF. Then I can ask it, "where can I eat there now?" And it will show me the restaurants.

Volotaire

Between no wireless charging and glass being used on the back I think I'm done with Google. Pixel ain't for me. These prices are higher than the S7 (at least in the UK) and (IMO) worse phones.

I can't actually find the Axon 7 in the UK online and I'm not sure about the OP3 anymore, although it does seem to be the best phone in my price range. What's the rough guesstimate of the OP4 release? Non-pentile 1080p AMOLED please.

June/July 2017.

Top Bottom