• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

NotBacon

Great phone for the same price as the competition = outrage apparently.

I think most people will come around when reviews start rolling out. Unless there is a glaring flaw hiding somewhere....

Did they even mention 7.1? It seems like they only talked about Assistant and they didn't even say if that comes with Android 7.1 or if it is a Pixel exclusive feature. What does 7.1 offer over Android Nougat?

HawkeyeIC

The real question is will it get the same 7.1

From Verge:

Google has announced Android 7.1 Nougat, which adds a number of features to Android 7.0 that launched earlier this year. Android 7.1 brings new features to all devices, but it also includes a number of special things that are exclusive to Google's new lineup of Pixel phones.

The Pixel phones will have Google's new launcher, Google Assistant, a phone and chat tech support service, unlimited, original-quality backup for photo and video to Google Photos, and a new Smart Storage feature that automatically removes backed up photos and video when the phone's storage is full. They also have a few cosmetic updates, including more system theming options, unique navbar icons, and a dynamic calendar date icon.

The rest of the Android world will get a new Night Light option (similar to Apple's NIght Shift), touch and display improvements, Daydream VR support, gestures for the fingerprint scanner, and a number of developer-focused enhancements.

Google did not say when Android 7.1 would be available for non-Pixel devices, but the new Pixel phones will be available later this month.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Great phone for the same price as the competition = outrage apparently.

I have no idea what everyone is so cheesed off about, apart from the fact that Nexus phones have been kind of inexpensive compared to the competition in the past. I have said for a long time that if I could buy an iPhone and give Apple an extra $100 to upgrade the OS from iOS to Android, I would buy it. This is pretty much that, but without the $100 premium. And with a headphone jack and superior fingerprint scanner placement.

Dobsie

I've taken for granted how good it is having stereo speakers on my 6p. Fuck paying however much Google will charge in £ for a crappy mono speaker.

Where are you getting the international prices at? £600 would be like €680 if things made sense, and that would be only €30 more expensive than Nexus 6P (god damn those prices were hilarious)

edit:
759 EUR for Pixel 32GB, 869 EUR for Pixel 128GB, 899 EUR for Pixel XL and 1009 EUR for Pixel XL 128GB
hahahaha holy shit, it's just as expensive as the iPhone

Well I liked what I saw. Google assistant is a skinned version of Google now but obviously much more interactive than just cards coming up... Basically a Siri but obviously better. Siri still can't touch Google so I don't understand the comparison there when one works much better than the other.

The price is outrageous as I'm looking at $1000 for the 128GB but I can't realistically do that outright until the real world usage reviews come out. I love my 6P and it would be a perfect opportunity to give it to my dad and go all in for this phone but Ill wait for now until something substantial is released review wise.

Google is clearly trying to cut the middle man and do their own shit which was largely a complaint for years so I'm willing to see where this goes. Unfortunately my only problem with this is Verizon.... This is so half assed and I REALLY hate them for this. T-Mobile wasn't available?? Seriously?

Surprised that Andremeda wasn't teased, and no pixel tablet or watch announces.

Andromeda is probably obviously going to be for the I/O event. This was mostly a hardware event so not sure why anyone would expect them to talk about that now.

As for the Pixel C and watches..... Weren't these both talked about at I/O as well?

Saiyan-Rox

Just watched a video on the pixel and it has a swip second system settings menu to contact support.

I hate the pricing but I guess I just gotta come to terms that it's because I can't afford it.

tmac456

though tempting, i don't think i can justify the price for one of these

i'm ready to ditch my LG G4, but feel like an Axon 7 or OP3 or maybe even a 6P is a way better value at this point

I wonder if Samsung won't bother with the Daydream cert for the S7, so they have another USP for the upcoming S8 in a couple of months. It would suck, as I'd definitely prefer Daydream over Gear VR (should the hardware be on par or better, of course).

Looks nice from the brief impressions. Wish I could afford one because I kind of want one since the only disappointing factor it has going for it is the price in my mind. Also, is it me or is that blue super ugly? The glass panel looks terrible since it doesn't match the blue of the metal.

The camera section was embarrassing. God forbid he takes 2 seconds to read the instructions and sees why he is doing it wrong.

Noema

I'm assuming
hoping
that the Assistant features eventually become available to all Android devices.

It's not the first time Google limits certain functionality to their new flagship device. Remember Google Now Launcher? It was originally exclusive to the Nexus 5 but eventually they put it on the Play Store.

If they don't it'd be super weird, since historically Google has used Android as a means to get as many people as possible to use Google services. Limiting their services to just one device in order to promote hardware sales would be a complete 360° to the way Google has done things.

VoxPop

Seems like every other Android phone aside from having 7.1

Would've been nice if they just with all aluminum or all glass and not this weird halfway thing they got going on.

Kind of ridiculous that the 6P isn't getting certain features with the update especially when it's nothing hardware related. $499-549 would have been a better starting point but they probably won't learn till it bombs first. Love how they finally got rid of all the branding and that godawful Nexus logo though.

Noema

Seems like every other Android phone aside from having 7.1

Would've been nice if they just with all aluminum or all glass and not this weird halfway thing they got going on.

Kind of ridiculous that the 6P isn't getting certain features with the update especially when it's nothing hardware related. $499-549 would have been a better starting point but they probably won't learn till it bombs first. Love how they finally got rid of all the branding and that godawful Nexus logo though.

I wish the blue one had a black front. I really dislike how white phones look.

RuGalz

Darn just saw this footnote: ¹Unlimited backups for photos and videos taken with your Pixel phone. Requires Google Account. Data rates may apply.

dream shattered

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Bought a Google Home.

First time since the Nexus S I'm not upgrading. Pixel phone is underwhelming. It's clearly half baked.

Hey guys,

Two quick android questions.

1. I have been running a OnePlus 3 for a week and like it, but I am intrigued by the Axon 7's audio features, rear fingerprint, and battery battery life. Anyone have an option on the comparison?

2. The OP3 is my first android phone in 4 or 5 years. Is there a feature to still have the phone vibrate when calls/text/notifications come in while on Silent? Or some way to be on priority notifications but still have it vibrate for texts/calls/notifications?

Thanks!

Jeffrey

the issue i have with the price is that even if they rename it, its still a nexus 6p successor no matter how you cut it.

And nothing they showed convinced me about the price hike.

Like i'd imagine people would be outraged about the price if the iphone 6s plus was $500 then the 7 plus was $770 as well.

Toki767

When does Google Home ship? I feel like the Echo Dot is probably better for what I would use a home assistant for, but I kind of trust Google more for voice commands.

RuGalz

the issue i have with the price is that even if they rename it, its still a nexus 6p successor no matter how you cut it.

Most people buying it from the stores probably never heard of Nexus so it probably doesn't matter. We are small percentage of the audience *if* the product actually gains traction in retail. That's a big if and probably will take several years but they have to start some where.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hope Google moves to a rear gesture panel. Get rid of the fingerprint sensor. Just make the entire back a glass panel but make it work for both gesture and fingerprint. Perhaps that's why this year's is glass. They're nailing the look right now but no functionality.

For us Palm OS users, there was a gesture pad and it was awesome. It would be even slicker on the back of a phone. Google seems to be thinking about it, being that the fingerprint sensor is now a gesture area. Plus, Duarte did it on Palm.

Top Bottom