• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Ty4on

Pixel seems snappy. The real question is why, 821? software? both? magic?

I think mainly storage performance plus some software. Not a high bar when it was such ass on older Nexus devices.
I hope Google moves to a rear gesture panel. Get rid of the fingerprint sensor. Just make the entire back a glass panel but make it work for both gesture and fingerprint. Perhaps that's why this year's is glass. They're nailing the look right now but no functionality.

For us Palm OS users, there was a gesture pad and it was awesome. It would be even slicker on the back of a phone. Google seems to be thinking about it, being that the fingerprint sensor is now a gesture area. Plus, Duarte did it on Palm.
On the PS Vita you could scroll webpages with the rear touchpad. The implementation was kinda clunky (smaller movements were ignored and it was sensitive enough to react to my legs through my jeans), but when it worked it was really nice scrolling through a page with no a fingers in the way and not having to think about accidentally pressing a button or link.

shingi70

Banned
So I get what Google is doing with wanting to compete with ios on and fully realize the Google ecosystem of products (it's a half step measure like Microsoft with Windows ). That said I'm still surprised there wasn't a mid range pixel to go alongside the flagship models.

This year feels like a stop gap on the phone side, to what Google really wants to do next year.

Toki767

More curious to see if Google Assistant system integration comes to other non Google Android phones or if they'll all be stuck with Now and Now on Tap.

Quasar

Hmm. So as expected Home is US only.

So I have to deal with either ebay profiteers or a remailer service.

Who would be better to preorder with, best buy or walmart?

Quasar

So I get what Google is doing with wanting to compete with ios on and fully realize the Google ecosystem of products (it's a half step measure like Microsoft with Windows ). That said I'm still surprised there wasn't a mid range pixel to go alongside the flagship models.

This year feels like a stop gap on the phone side, to what Google really wants to do next year.

I'm not really given the Pixel brand.

Jeffrey

Most people buying it from the stores probably never heard of Nexus so it probably doesn't matter. We are small percentage of the audience *if* the product actually gains traction in retail. That's a big if and probably will take several years but they have to start some where.

true, but your average joe isn't gonna drop $650+ on a googly phone instead of your samsung or apple either. So it really is a catch 22.

Apple got the brand, samsung got the wow factor (curved edge screen really stands out at a glance with the hot AMOLED screen).

Google pixel looks like your typical chinese apple knock off at a glance (you don't see the ass of a phone at a display unless you pick it up).

'unlimited full res cloud storage' and '24/7 customer support' aren't really selling points.

Jeffrey

what about other phones though?

like... isn't 7.1 required for daydream vr? Will asus and ZTE VR compatible phones get that anytime soon

Saiyan-Rox

AndroidPolice is saying it'll be a dev preview before the end of this year. Google isn't in a hurry to update current Nexus devices. http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...vices-pixel-c-will-land-end-2016-dev-preview/

Well there it is.

In a way Google had no choice but to give pixel all the help it can get and exclusive software. If they gave it to the Nexus people would go and get a 6P instead.

It's not right by any means at all but it's why they're doing it. But Fragmenting your own user base which was pretty much made up of the top Android fans and alienating them isn't a good move.

No mention of the pixel c and it's software....I mean technically it should get this stuff but I have a feeling Google will screw that over swell.

Hasney

No mention of the pixel c and it's software....I mean technically it should get this stuff but I have a feeling Google will screw that over swell.

It's in the link. It's bundled in with Nexus support.

Think I'm out on Google phones if this trend continues. May as well custom ROM other manufacturers if they:

• Lock software features to the newest phone
  • Lock bootloaders
  • Timed exclusive software update in general
  • Keep shrinking the bigger phone
  • Aim at the premium market by just using the iPhone design
Feels like the advantages of having anything but the latest and greatest are gone. I want to keep my phone a couple of years unless there's a compelling technology reason to upgrade.

That's fine though. Removing the reasons I went Nexus means I have more choice when I do upgrade as more phones will be in the conversation for me.

Great phone for the same price as the competition = outrage apparently.

I think most people will come around when reviews start rolling out. Unless there is a glaring flaw hiding somewhere....

the competition has waterproofing
or
the competition has wireless charging
or
the competition has removable batteries
or
the competition has OIS
or
the competition has modules
or
the competition has Quad DACs
or
the competition has stereo speakers
or
the competition has iOS

Jeffrey

Do we know anything about how 'open' the pixel will be? unlocked bootloaders and all that jazz?

And haven't people flashed the pixel launcher on their phones already? Guess all thats missing is the 24/7 support and Google assistant.

Do we know anything about how 'open' the pixel will be? unlocked bootloaders and all that jazz?

And haven't people flashed the pixel launcher on their phones already? Guess all thats missing is the 24/7 support and Google assistant.

Verizon bootloader confirmed locked. No confirmation on ones from Google store. Also apparently new security which will make root harder according to XDA. This phone is a fail all the way around. The only nice thing is snapdragon 821.

this_guy

So since the Pixel has features that aren't in the Nexus phones or AOSP, are we going to call those features bloat? Android GAF needs to come together so we know how to proceed.

Hasney

Verizon bootloader confirmed locked. No confirmation on ones from Google store. Also apparently new security which will make root harder according to XDA. This phone is a fail all the way around. The only nice thing is snapdragon 821.

Ah, just Verizon so far? I bet EE does too, but good to hear there's still hope on the vanilla one.

Also, fuck EE having carrier exclusivity over here. Such a bad network.

or
or
or
the competition has OIS
or
or
or
or
the competition has iOS

And guess what. One single phone doesn't have all of this so what's the point of arguing what it doesnt have compared to its competition. One of its competition doesn't have a Headphone jack... And what?

We can go all day about what each competition doesn't have. Like this is pointless. It doesn't stop people from buying phones that never had these features of willingly didn't add them because they have no value to them right now. It's boring and so ridiculous.

Yes because all version of the Note 4 are on this version arent they?

No

v0o24Wc.jpg

Quasar

Well, the phone seems nice, though wont know that till we see reviews.

Not buying though. Already bought a phone this year, and I'd like to see a second gen pixel first rather than this apparent half step to a real pixel. So I expect I will buy next years pixel.

And guess what. One single phone doesn't have all of this so what's the point of arguing what it doesnt have compared to its competition. One of its competition doesn't have a Headphone jack... And what?

We can go all day about what each competition doesn't have. Like this is pointless. It doesn't stop people from buying phones that never had these features of willingly didn't add them because they have no value to them right now. It's boring and so ridiculous.

that's why i used or instead of and.

the point being the competition has more.

this more or that more or the more over there.

sometimes more for less money.

FFP2

Do the Pixel phones really not have OIS? It seems like such a common feature these days, especially with flagships.

NotBacon

or
or
or
the competition has OIS
or
or
or
or
the competition has iOS

As people have mentioned, this is silly because no flagship has all of that. You could grab any phone and create a list of things it doesn't have.

Are there things missing from Pixel that would be nice to have? Sure. Wireless charging and waterproofing would be nice. Does that mean the phone is not a flagship and doesn't deserve to be priced accordingly? Absolutely not.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Biggest problem with Pixel phones today and going forward is their fall release window means they are at the end of the run.

If they put this premium phone out 6 months ago at the beginning of this year's crop of phones it would be all good. Instead it's the last phone to go. So essentially your paying premium pricing too late in the cycle for me.

That's not to say it isn't fast or the hardware isn't good enough. But if you want me to pay $800 for a phone then I'd like it to not be immediately outclassed in 3 months by next year's chips.

Apple doesn't have this problem cause the chips are solely Apples so there is always a year in between, and you know when it's getting late in the cycle to buy.

It's a different ballgame in Google land with different OEMs on different schedules compared to Google.

Hell Anandtech had their Snapdragon 820 preview article up Dec 10th of last year. If we follow that trend the 830 is gonna be previewed in basically 2 months. It also means the longer you wait for a price drop the closer 830 phones will be.

this_guy

Biggest problem with Pixel phones today and going forward is their fall release window means they are at the end of the run.

If they put this premium phone out 6 months ago at the beginning of this year's crop of phones it would be all good. Instead it's the last phone to go. So essentially your paying premium pricing too late in the cycle for me.

That's not to say it isn't fast or the hardware isn't good enough. But if you want me to pay $800 for a phone then I'd like it to not be immediately outclassed in 3 months by next year's chips.

Apple doesn't have this problem cause the chips are solely Apples so there is always a year in between, and you know when it's getting late in the cycle to buy.

It's a different ballgame in Google land with different OEMs on different schedules compared to Google.

Hell Anandtech had their Snapdragon 820 preview article up Dec 10th of last year. If we follow that trend the 830 is gonna be previewed in basically 2 months. It also means the longer you wait for a price drop the closer 830 phones will be.

Add to that, the phones that bomb in the spring, aka the LGs and HTCs of the world, those flagships can be had for discounted prices around this time and the holidays.

I mean for the price of a Pixel XL you can pretty much get a Note 7. Why would you get a Pixel XL? They are catering to a market that doesn't and will never exist for them.

that's why i used or instead of and.

the point being the competition has more.

this more or that more or the more over there.

sometimes more for less money.

No, the competition doesn't always have more. Some have less like the iPhone, and some have exclusive features to their hardware like Samsung and iPhone... But it's BS to make it seem like both of those companies that has removed and added and removed features were not clocking in at the same price we are witness right now with even less blow back (except for Samsung) and than what's happening today.

The 6S didn't have OIS and it didn't stop people from buying that phone. None of the iPhone up until the 7 are water resistant.. Not even proof.

None of the iPhone have wireless charging and they don't have fast charging either but yet still here we are. Shit they are still rocking 1080p resolution and the price remains the same... Even removing storage options.

Like I said, it's pointless. What does matter is what this phone can do for what's inside of it. No one uses these bs metrics to criticise Apple phones the way they do Android and I will never understand it. If people buy their phones because they want it to work regardless of the gimmicks involved then it really doesn't matter doesn't it.

So again, this ridiculous need for Google to be more humble than their counterparts that have done the same thing without any change in their momentum in selling etc is ridiculous. We've already seen phones that have a ton of features and still flop regardless of how cool it is because it simply doesn't work effectively. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt of not including things that really don't make a substantial difference to the user who just wants a better android phone.. Not one plagued with features that they will never use, find useful or just straight out doesn't work.

---

Moving on from that, why is OIS such a big deal? The 6P doesn't have it and I don't remember ever feeling like I was at a large disadvantage for not having it. On top of that, what if this new method Google is using is actually better in practice? Where would that sit it?

Top Bottom