• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

instead of wasting money on hardware, they should throw money at snapchat to make a decent android app.

seems to be a not minor reason why friends won't touch android lol.

We also have the chinese creepin' in.

Still, maybe google will succeed after a bit. Took microsoft a few iterations to make the surface successful.

Well there it is.

In a way Google had no choice but to give pixel all the help it can get and exclusive software. If they gave it to the Nexus people would go and get a 6P instead.

It's not right by any means at all but it's why they're doing it. But Fragmenting your own user base which was pretty much made up of the top Android fans and alienating them isn't a good move.

No mention of the pixel c and it's software....I mean technically it should get this stuff but I have a feeling Google will screw that over swell.

Basically Google doing what people give Samsung shit for lol

Quasar

Basically Google doing what people give Samsung shit for lol

Difference is I generally dont hate Google UI design.

ANd that will be interesting to watch, just how aosp develops when google has its own version that they would be better off making new features for pixel first. And its probably something I'd prefer as I'd like to see an android where hardware and software is much tighter integrated.

Though its amusing...they could have been doing this for several years if they didnt sell off moto.

akileese

Well there it is.

In a way Google had no choice but to give pixel all the help it can get and exclusive software. If they gave it to the Nexus people would go and get a 6P instead.

It's not right by any means at all but it's why they're doing it. But Fragmenting your own user base which was pretty much made up of the top Android fans and alienating them isn't a good move.

No mention of the pixel c and it's software....I mean technically it should get this stuff but I have a feeling Google will screw that over swell.

This won't help Pixel. People aren't going to run and shell out $800 for an incremental software update. It's just going to severely piss off their existing customer base and drive them away.

V20 looks cool, but every single LG phone we bought has bricked. My G2's screen just stopped responding one day, the one before bricked, g4 bricked, generic other lg phone bricked. No thanks ever.

Moto Z Play, battery beast and hopefully my next phone.

At times late in the day when I'd usually start getting anxious about my phone dying, I'd glance at the Moto Z Play and see that it still had an 80 percent charge in the tank. What? How? The Moto Z has the usual mix of battery saving modes and optimization settings, but I never turned any of that stuff on and was still left with my jaw on the floor. Nothing compares. Not a Galaxy S7 Edge. Not an iPhone 7 Plus.

For 90 percent of tasks, the Moto Z Play feels like a flagship-class device. The main exception is gaming, where the phone will struggle and stutter if you’re playing the latest titles, since the graphics horsepower just isn’t there.

This kind of battery life opens up a different level of freedom in using your phone how you want on the go. Sure, stream a bunch of YouTube videos or a movie on Netflix; you’ll be fine. Don’t even worry about plugging it in if you need turn-by-turn directions in the car. The thing could probably chug through a cross-country flight without blinking.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/1/13122260/motorola-moto-z-play-review-good-battery

Jzero

Well i pre-ordered Google Home, hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

I'm probably going to need to turn off ok google on my phone though,

7.1 changelog (breaks out between pixel exclusive and non-pixel items):

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...-pixel-exclusive-non-pixel-exclusive-changes/

A lot of the exclusives seem to be hardware related, other than Assistant and the Launcher (does anyone use Google launchers anyway)?

Like that we're getting a lot of good stuff for 7.1 on the Nexus phones, but it's fucking stupid how we have to wait till next year for consumer release. Really can't wait for the night mode though. Hate that we don't get that awesome launcher either.

Saiyan-Rox

This won't help Pixel. People aren't going to run and shell out $800 for an incremental software update. It's just going to severely piss off their existing customer base and drive them away.

it'll drive some people to buy it for the software but yeah they are gonna piss off the nexus base

akileese

it'll drive some people to buy it for the software but yeah they are gonna piss off the nexus base

My theory is that the sort of people who buy hardware for incremental software updates are the same people who would buy a pixel anyways. I know a lot of pissed off Nexus users right now who aren't happy with Google.

I can't believe I'm saying this but if Apple would have just put a 3.5mm jack on their phone they'd probably be harvesting some android users right now out of spite.

Yeah, even as a Nexus 6 owner with a smashed screen, there's no big reason for me to shell out 719 quid on the Pixel. The value isnt there. Hopefully it does a nexus and the price nosedives after Christmas.

Quasar

M I know a lot of pissed off Nexus users right now who aren't happy with Google.

I'm mostly just annoyed that google is stepping away from an affordable google phone.

And so it will make my next purchase a bit harder, in part because it will encourage me to just use my 5x longer whereas in the past I'd just upgraded to the next nexus when-ever the updates stopped.

If updates only last 18 months on pixel phones too, it might encourage me to look closer at iPhone at the end of next year. Apple at least offers updates longer than that.

Jeffrey

seems like samsung is making the SD830 like last year.

reconfirming 10nm.

Pixel really should have held off a bit and waited for the 830 imo.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I can't believe I'm saying this but if Apple would have just put a 3.5mm jack on their phone they'd probably be harvesting some android users right now out of spite.

Honestly the no headphone thing has bothered me more than it should. And just as I started looking back at Android, they pull an iPhone priced phone. And then pull an anti consumer move by limiting features to their premium priced phones?!? What the hell is going on this year?

Yep. Hope it's a competitive price. This can be huge if LG comes out swinging with ads, specs and price.

I think the best price we can hope for is 600 to 650. And I would be very pleased if that were the case. If they go with 800 because they think they're as cool as Apple, Samsung, and now Google then I'll definitely be looking at the Chinese phones instead.

Quasar

reconfirming 10nm.

I guess it depends just when people buy most phones. Apple certainly doesn't launch new phones this time of year just because they are ready. Of course that raises the question of why Samsung seems to aim for February.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

reconfirming 10nm.

Fall release totally fucks them as they are gonna be eternally behind the curve if they stick with Qualcomm.

Jzero

Pixel product-specific

Pixel Launcher - swipe up for all apps, new Search Box, date/weather header on home
Google Assistant
Smart Storage - when storage is full, automatically removes old backed up photos/videos
Solid navbar icons with home affordance for Assistant

Wow Google are dicks, makes me want to buy their shit even less now. How is my 6P already dead and not getting the assistant.

hitgirl

I think having a google phone with it's own software features is really stupid and is just a messy look. Makes me glad I run custom roms.

Ummm can someone point me to where the unlimited storage is Pixel exclusive because on my 6P right now in my Google Photos app, I have unlimited storage??? I can even take a picture of this setting so where is this coming from that it's only exclusive to Pixel?

Jeffrey

i thought nexus phones gave you a few years of unlimited full storage for photos?

And with how much data you give to google to power google assistant (you can still encrypt stuff but it really hampers assistant like it does with allo), you'd think they'd subsidize some of that cost to you.

Google basically has all data about your life in order to get assistant working as it is lol.

Ty4on

Fall release totally fucks them as they are gonna be eternally behind the curve if they stick with Qualcomm.

Funny when they were ahead of the curve with the first Nexus phones.
guess xiaomi missed that memo :p

wonder when google will make their own processors as well?
If they'd only get rid of that skin...

Regarding custom silicon:

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ummm can someone point me to where the unlimited storage is Pixel exclusive because on my 6P right now in my Google Photos app, I have unlimited storage??? I can even take a picture of this setting so where is this coming from that it's only exclusive to Pixel?

The photos its backing up for your aren't full res. The pixel will back up full res. That's why I use onedrive.

My theory is that the sort of people who buy hardware for incremental software updates are the same people who would buy a pixel anyways. I know a lot of pissed off Nexus users right now who aren't happy with Google.

I was going to buy a 7 Plus this year, but the lack of headphone jack pissed me off. I hate iOS, but the camera and battery life of the 7 plus are that good.

How about because they blow up and the crap Samsung bloatware? Bloatware is bad enough.

They don't blow up anymore? Bloatware can be removed or disabled and you can use nova launcher? You can make a Note or S7 look stock Android. However you get better camera, waterproofing, wireless charging, s-pen functionality, better build quality, and Samsung pay. Also, Samsung still gives the security updates.

LeleSocho

Banned
Funny when they were ahead of the curve with the first Nexus phones.

If they'd only get rid of that skin...

Regarding custom silicon:

Huawei makes custom processors, Samsung makes custom processors, Xiaomi makes custom processors, Google makes custom processors...
in little to no time the the phones with Snapdragon will be the poor man's choice.

They don't blow up anymore? Bloatware can be removed or disabled and you can use nova launcher? You can make a Note or S7 look stock Android. However you get better camera, waterproofing, wireless charging, s-pen functionality, better build quality, and Samsung pay. Also, Samsung still gives the security updates.

So the solution is to throw another skin on top of it instead of getting the phone that is the stock experience you want? No thanks.

The pros are nice but TouchWiz stands I'm the way with all of that and I will never touch a Samsung for that reason only. Everything about it is ugly.

wilflare

You can't remove all the bloat unless you root (there's a limit to how much you can remove)
though Samsung does have some useful stuff - Samsung Pay.
their hardware is good too - my only wish is that they kept with the Google Play Editions

---
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...e-takes-on-the-iphone-by-becoming-the-iphone/

Android Police puts forth an interesting perspective on the pricing

The reality is that these seem a natural evolution of the phones Google has produced for years, and really not even that dramatic a departure historically from the Nexus approach. While we all like to think of Nexus phones as being highly affordable, things weren't always this way. The Nexus One and Nexus S retailed for $530 way back when. The Galaxy Nexus was $650 on Verizon. It wasn't until the Nexus 4 that the value pricing model came into play in a big way, and even so, the Nexus 6 broke that trend in 2014. The Nexus 5X and 6P are fresh in the minds of fans and so too, then, is the pricing model Google unveiled with them last year. This year, things are quite different, and that has understandably caused tempers to flare. More money for a Google phone? Some people find the idea itself entirely indefensible, even if the Pixel and Pixel XL delivered specifications well beyond what was even possible today.

I know people weren't super high on the LG G5 when it came out, but it's on sale at $379 right now. That's probably a better buy over a OnePlus 3 right?

Top Bottom