• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

So the solution is to throw another skin on top of it instead of getting the phone that is the stock experience you want? No thanks.

The pros are nice but TouchWiz stands I'm the way with all of that and I will never touch a Samsung for that reason only. Everything about it is ugly.

You can't remove all the bloat unless you root (there's a limit to how much you can remove)
though Samsung does have some useful stuff - Samsung Pay.
their hardware is good too - my only wish is that they kept with the Google Play Editions

---
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...e-takes-on-the-iphone-by-becoming-the-iphone/

Android Police puts forth an interesting perspective on the pricing

I'm just saying the value proposition is much better. If all you want is stock android, that's easy. I can run stock android on several phones much cheaper and get the same basic experience as on a Pixel phone. You can't get hardware features or Samsung Pay on a Pixel though and if a customer goes into a store looking at a phone, it's not going to be the Pixel they get.

LeleSocho

Banned
People are having a weird reaction with these new Pixel phones tbh... aside the new name and the exclusive features what exactly is different from the presentation of a new Nexus with up to date specs?

wilflare

People are having a weird reaction with these new Pixel phones tbh... aside the new name and the exclusive features what exactly is different from the presentation of a new Nexus with up to date specs?

for supposedly charging a premium price without premium features
(Waterproof, Dual Front-facing speakers, OIS Camera, Wireless charging)

Funny thing the iPhone only got most of these premium features with the latest iteration
(though credit must be given - the iPhone will squarely destroy the Pixel and all Android phones in performance tests with their flash storage and A10 processor)

for supposedly charging a premium price without premium features
(Waterproof, Dual Front-facing speakers, OIS Camera, Wireless charging)

Funny thing the iPhone only got most of these premium features with the latest iteration
(though credit must be given - the iPhone will squarely destroy the Pixel and all Android phones in performance tests with their flash storage and A10 processor)

Yes because those features are on my mind when I am recommending phones for people that bother me for help.

Why are you even bringing up the iPhone speed? I was comparing to Samsung. This year Google is using better storage anyway.

I've watched a lot of vids and read a lot and my overall impressions are that it's the best android phone out for most people by far. I'm more interested in next year because I think there are a LOT of improvements to be made here and I'm wondering how much google is really going to invest in making this competitive, especially in a year in 2017 when everyone will be bringing their A game because they know apple will be as well.

It'll be interesting. The pixel phones are a good start...if I was in the market for an android phone it would seem like a total no fucking brainer. I also like that they're kind of forking off android, trying to take back some control. Hopefully that trend continues.

My main cricitism has already been said. They're charging iphone prices but they're missing a lot of high-tech things that iphones have to warrant that price. But we'll see if they can add them next year.

I've watched a lot of vids and read a lot and my overall impressions are that it's the best android phone out for most people by far. I'm more interested in next year because I think there are a LOT of improvements to be made here and I'm wondering how much google is really going to invest in making this competitive, especially in a year in 2017 when everyone will be bringing their A game because they know apple will be as well.

It'll be interesting. The pixel phones are a good start...if I was in the market for an android phone it would seem like a total no fucking brainer. I also like that they're kind of forking off android, trying to take back some control. Hopefully that trend continues.

GAF thinks Google is targeting the Pixel phones at them and not the general population.

wilflare

Yes because those features are on my mind when I am recommending phones for people that bother me for help.

Why are you even bringing up the iPhone speed? I was comparing to Samsung. This year Google is using better storage anyway.

ehhh... I was explaining to the above user why people are having a weird reaction.
it wasn't anything targetted at you.

quoting your post was for the SmartTutor reply - not sure why it got quoted again.

ehhh... I was explaining to the above user why people are having a weird reaction.
it wasn't anything targetted at you.

quoting your post was for the SmartTutor reply - not sure why it got quoted again.

I was not aware of the SmartTutor thing. Looks like its just an app and not built into the phone settings though.

wilflare

I was not aware of the SmartTutor thing. Looks like its just an app and not built into the phone settings though.

yea. it's an app and not built-in so that's where they differ.

and in case I was not clear, the iPhone comparison was an attempt in trying to be fair to the Pixel phones. I mean some are blasting Pixel for having a premium price without offering sufficient "premium" features when the iPhone only got these premium features in the latest iteration (waterproof, dual front-facing speakers) and still missing some like wireless charging, etc.

though I really wonder when would Android ever catch up with the Apple processors and their NVMe storage solution is still faster than UFS2.0 (being used in Samsung phones and the Pixel)... hope UFS3.0 changes things around

HawkeyeIC

My main cricitism has already been said. They're charging iphone prices but they're missing a lot of high-tech things that iphones have to warrant that price. But we'll see if they can add them next year.

Seriously, Google had to start somewhere. The leaks have been out for weeks. I don't understand the meltdown.

Seriously, Google had to start somewhere. The leaks have been out for weeks. I don't understand the meltdown.

Its honestly pathetic. All the whining is ruining the Android channel of the internet.

They are a great attempt at attracting mainstream consumers. Due to pulbicity and marketing alone, Google is going to sell more of these phones than any Nexus phone in existence. (not saying that's great)

John Legere is tweeting about it and Verizon is giving them prime real estate on their website. When does John Legere ever mention the existence of a Nexus phone?

Google has already said this thing will be a flop. Again, they have to start somewhere.

Selling more than any other Nexus phone could still be considered a flop since nexus has always sold like shit. Like you said gotta start somewhere.

BTW where did you see google say that?

Selling more than any other Nexus phone could still be considered a flop since nexus has always sold like shit. Like you said gotta start somewhere.

BTW where did you see google say that?
I posted it in the other thread. They didn't say it would be a flop they just said they aren't expecting gangbusters here:

Osterloh knows that "We certainly aren’t going to have enormous volumes out of this product. This is very first innings for us." Google’s metric of success for Pixel won’t be whether it picks up significant market share, but whether it can garner customer satisfaction and form retail and carrier partnerships that Google can leverage for years to come.

It's all in the follow up. Next year will be a big year but if you need an android phone now then the pixel phones are the easy choice.

Then why don't you tell us?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-google-s-first-real-threat-to-apple-s-iphone

So in the summer of 2015, Chief Executive Officer Sundar Pichai approved the Pixel project; development began last fall. “The difference with this device is that we started from the beginning,” says Dave Burke, who runs Android engineering. By contrast, Google’s contributions to Nexus phones typically didn’t happen until they were 90 percent done.

While Google has contracted HTC to assemble the Pixel phones, Osterloh says the approach is no different than Apple’s partnership with iPhone builder Foxconn. Flip the Pixel over and you’ll see “Made by Google,” another tip of the hat to Apple, which has long made much of the fact that its phones are “Designed by Apple in California.” Osterloh says Google will never say the Pixel is co-engineered with anyone else. He proudly proclaims, “It’s ours.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-google-s-first-real-threat-to-apple-s-iphone

So in the summer of 2015, Chief Executive Officer Sundar Pichai approved the Pixel project; development began last fall. “The difference with this device is that we started from the beginning,” says Dave Burke, who runs Android engineering. By contrast, Google’s contributions to Nexus phones typically didn’t happen until they were 90 percent done.

While Google has contracted HTC to assemble the Pixel phones, Osterloh says the approach is no different than Apple’s partnership with iPhone builder Foxconn. Flip the Pixel over and you’ll see “Made by Google,” another tip of the hat to Apple, which has long made much of the fact that its phones are “Designed by Apple in California.” Osterloh says Google will never say the Pixel is co-engineered with anyone else. He proudly proclaims, “It’s ours.”

So Google came up with the ugly design by themselves? Hopefully they go back to the drawing board next year.

Its like the entire Android community feels like they just got robbed by Google or something.
I think the issue is that just last year they released the Nexus 6P which had flagship level specs and it costed $500. Now one year later and the Pixel XL is pretty much the exact same spec wise (Flagship level specs) and they want to convince people it is worth $270 more. Not only that, but some feel it isn't even up to that flagship level due to missing things like waterproofing or decent speakers which are both things that Apple did this year.

HawkeyeIC

So Google came up with the ugly design by themselves? Hopefully they go back to the drawing board next year.

Google can say it's theirs, but it's not like HTC could just make some brand new phone from scratch in less than a year. I assume they started with something they knew HTC could make and modified it from there (however slightly it might be). If Google doesn't come through with something more original next year then I'll have issues.

Google can say it's theirs, but it's not like HTC could just make some brand new phone from scratch in less than a year. I assume they started with something they knew HTC could make and modified it from there (however slightly it might be). If Google doesn't come through with something more original next year then I'll have issues.

Well they have to. Knowing Google, they will go back and try to start doing Nexus phones again though. They don't commit to anything.

Jigolo

Orisis gets really offended when you say anything bad about the brands or products he likes. I've noticed this in the TV thread regarding Sony TVs and anything Nexus/Google related

I think the issue is that just last year they released the Nexus 6P which had flagship level specs and it costed $500. Now one year later and the Pixel XL is pretty much the exact same spec wise (Flagship level specs) and they want to convince people it is worth $270 more. Not only that, but some feel it isn't even up to that flagship level due to missing things like waterproofing or decent speakers which are both things that Apple did this year.

The 6p didnt have 24/7 tech support, it had slow flash memory and a processor that was 8 months old.
It also had plastic dovetail joints that allowed the phone to snap in half with little effort.
Not everything about the 6p was premium.

Orisis gets really offended when you say anything bad about the brands or products he likes. I've noticed this in the TV thread regarding Sony TVs and anything Nexus/Google related

I shit on last years nexus devices all the time. There is a huge difference between defending a product I like and correcting someone that is spreading bs. The post in the Sony TV thread was a prime example of that.

The 6p didnt have 24/7 tech support, it had slow flash memory and a processor that was 8 months old.
It also had plastic dovetail joints that allowed the phone to snap in half with little effort.
Not everything about the 6p was premium.
Not really sure if the tech support aspect sells it that much, especially if that ends up being outsourced tech support. It has been stated before that the 821 is basically a higher binned 820 thus why it has such paltry performance gains which kind of makes the "Snapdragon 810 was old" point moot. Finally we don't know how the Pixel phones will end up build quality wise, lets remember that Google is supposed to oversee the Nexus program and they seemingly saw nothing wrong with the Nexus 6P build quality wise.

Not really sure if the tech support aspect sells it that much, especially if that ends up being outsourced tech support. It has been stated before that the 821 is basically a higher binned 820 thus why it has such paltry performance gains which kind of makes the "Snapdragon 810 was old" point moot. Finally we don't know how the Pixel phones will end up build quality wise, lets remember that Google is supposed to oversee the Nexus program and they seemingly saw nothing wrong with the Nexus 6P build quality wise.

The 821 is significantly more expensive than the 820. The 820 is not the premium chip now.

True on the build quality but its looking pretty good so far.

The 821 is significantly more expensive than the 820. The 820 is not the premium chip now.

True on the build quality but its looking pretty good so far.
That still doesn't change the fact that it isn't really a new chip. It's not like the 800 to 805 move. It's the same chip a better quality one that yields sparse performance gains and costs a fortune for some reason.

That still doesn't change the fact that it isn't really a new chip. It's not like the 800 to 805 move. It's the same chip a better quality one that yields sparse performance gains and costs a fortune for some reason.

I get what you are saying but it does automatically raise the price of the phone compared to the 6p.

However, the missing bottom speaker is really stupid. I can see waterproofing being tough though and maybe not even possible in their time frame.

The Pixel 5" are £599 and £699 for the 32 and 128GB respectively when you can get an S7 for £550. Seems mad. The XL is just stupid money.

Still, I'm strangely tempted - I've been wanting a phone with fast updates. I get bored of phones really fast and can get £270 for my S7.

I think I'd miss wireless charging too much though.

Has anyone here actually decided to get one? They've really screwed up on the pricing with this.

Fatalah

I was just perusing the Verizon store and got very confused between the iPhone and Pixel.

Cannot believe I'm seeing the same price point. Just $27.08/month!

HLpw9xn.png

Sad, but premium pricing will convince many people to take Android seriously. And iPhone + Pixel are on the same release cycle too!

RuGalz

true, but your average joe isn't gonna drop $650+ on a googly phone instead of your samsung or apple either. So it really is a catch 22.

On the flip side, if you train people to expect low price products from you it will be hard to go back as you can see from 99% of people here. Average Joe don't have Axon 7 or One Plus 3 to compare it to in the stores. They don't even know the hardware differences but at least Google name is some what recognizable even if not in this space. Google's going to need Verizon and other carriers to push these phones in the stores to have a chance and maybe there's enough margins with this pricing that they will.

Sad, but premium pricing will convince many people to take Android seriously. And iPhone + Pixel are on the same release cycle too!

Yeah, people who get their phones on contract from a carrier will see this as an iPhone alternative/Google iPhone. I think it might actually work for Google if the marketing is right.

It looks like EE (the largest network in the UK) have got some kind of exclusivity deal for the Pixel. Seems you can only get it through them on contract from a carrier.

(You can get it on different networks via carphone warehouse - but they're obviously trying to market it and have exclusivity deals like when the iPhone was first released)

Jeffrey

On the flip side, if you train people to expect low price products from you it will be hard to go back as you can see from 99% of people here. Average Joe don't have Axon 7 or One Plus 3 to compare it to in the stores. They don't even know the hardware differences but at least Google name is some what recognizable even if not in this space. Google's going to need Verizon and other carriers to push these phones in the stores to have a chance and maybe there's enough margins with this pricing that they will.

Man I just feel like someday Huawei or zte or some big Chinese company will double down on a huge marketing campaign in the US for a $400 premium phone.

Super Bowl ads and what not.

Curious how the axon 7 is doing. It seems mostly in stock now. We know honor 8 is under performing.

Is one plus 3 still out of stock?

Jzero

I'll be making a Google Home thread if no one is making one.

I pre-ordered one anyway.

What is the time limit of when i can post the OT before release?

RuGalz

Man I just feel like someday Huawei or zte or some big Chinese company will double down on a huge marketing campaign in the US for a $400 premium phone.

Super Bowl ads and what not.

Curious how the axon 7 is doing. It seems mostly in stock now. We know honor 8 is under performing.

Is one plus 3 still out of stock?

Considering how big of a market China itself is and India is the second biggest market. I think the US might just not be worth the price of entry if they are having so much trouble gaining traction.

Jeffrey

if you guerilla warfare the 'mid range' enough people will notice over time.

people are quite a bit more critical about android phone prices post oneplus's entry into the market.

Even if its mostly in the hardcore sites comment sections, but some of that ends up trickling down to the 'casuals' broad market.

NotBacon

This is a good point I was just thinking about. Not only is it a premium price because it's a premium phone, but that price point might sway people into thinking it's premium
not saying it's not
without too much effort on Google's part.

I think Pixel will do really well if Google pushes it.

if you guerilla warfare the 'mid range' enough people will notice over time.

people are quite a bit more critical about android phone prices post oneplus's entry into the market.

Even if its mostly in the hardcore sites comment sections, but some of that ends up trickling down to the 'casuals' broad market.
I doubt OnePlus has influenced Samsung's sales at all, especially since they are only doing better each year. Most consumers don't care about mid-range devices like the OnePlus 3, Axon 7 or the Honor 8 because the large majority of consumers buy phones at their carrier store and they don't even bother looking elsewhere. They get them on contracts or device payment plans and that is the end of it, they aren't looking on Amazon or browsing Best Buy to discover some no name device. That's one of the reasons I think the Pixel's are going to fail because Google went and made them carrier exclusive which is a horrible business decision in this day and age. They should have pushed these phones on every carrier.

RuGalz

Next pixel will be on more carrier for sure. They probably just didn't have enough time so Verizon is the most important one.

NotBacon

These so called "premium" features need to be addressed.

Wireless charging: Niche feature and slow as hell.
SD slot: Nexus hasn't had this in years, and for good reason. Hasn't stopped iPhone from selling millions either.
OIS: Nice to have, but it doesn't matter if EIS is 90% as good, which it looks to be on Pixel.
Stereo speakers: Bottom-firing speakers are bottom-firing speakers. Consumers don't care if the speakers 5cm apart are stereo.
Water resistance: The one feature that is legitimate to gripe about.

HawkeyeIC

These so called "premium" features need to be addressed.

Wireless charging: Niche feature and slow as hell.
SD slot: Nexus hasn't had this in years, and for good reason. Hasn't stopped iPhone from selling millions either.
OIS: Nice to have, but it doesn't matter if EIS is 90% as good, which it looks to be on Pixel.
Stereo speakers: Bottom-firing speakers are bottom-firing speakers. Consumers don't care if the speakers 5cm apart are stereo.
Water resistance: The one feature that is legitimate to gripe about.

Meh, with that bezel, no way this phone shouldn't have had stereo speakers.

Top Bottom