• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

NotBacon

Meh, with that bezel, no way this phone shouldn't have had stereo speakers.

Oh I was just talking about stereo speakers not front-facing because people are bringing it up. Front-facing speakers are nice to have, but not a deal breaker for most. I'd still add it to the list of legitimate gripes. So now the list is up to......... 2.

Jeffrey

I doubt OnePlus has influenced Samsung's sales at all, especially since they are only doing better each year. Most consumers don't care about mid-range devices like the OnePlus 3, Axon 7 or the Honor 8 because the large majority of consumers buy phones at their carrier store and they don't even bother looking elsewhere. They get them on contracts or device payment plans and that is the end of it, they aren't looking on Amazon or browsing Best Buy to discover some no name device. That's one of the reasons I think the Pixel's are going to fail because Google went and made them carrier exclusive which is a horrible business decision in this day and age. They should have pushed these phones on every carrier.

Samsung is doing well, HTC/moto/sony etc not doing too well.

I'm not saying its due to oneplus and what not, but I can't imagine those companies butting in helping HTC/moto/sony sales.

Oh, ZTE forum mods confirmed axon 7 getting nougat (and persumbly daydream support) in 2 updates, so probably nov/dec time frame.

Jzero

What do you guys think of this title?

tA9aO2a.png

HawkeyeIC

screen, performance, camera and then probably updates. looking for best overall phone TBH

The Pixel hasn't been reviewed or released yet, but I don't see any way that it's not better than the other phones you listed. Whether the price difference is enough to sway you is another matter.

These so called "premium" features need to be addressed.

Wireless charging: Niche feature and slow as hell.
SD slot: Nexus hasn't had this in years, and for good reason. Hasn't stopped iPhone from selling millions either.
OIS: Nice to have, but it doesn't matter if EIS is 90% as good, which it looks to be on Pixel.
Stereo speakers: Bottom-firing speakers are bottom-firing speakers. Consumers don't care if the speakers 5cm apart are stereo.
Water resistance: The one feature that is legitimate to gripe about.

Is agree with that - apart from the wireless charging. It's what's stopping me getting one at the moment. Once you get used to it it's hard to go back.
Just putting your phone on a stand at your bedside at night - It's brilliant.

I'm not bothered about the SD slot, as long as the memory is, say, 64GB minimum. 32 isn't enough these days.

Never understood why people are obsessed with stereo speakers on a phone.

While Google has contracted HTC to assemble the Pixel phones, Osterloh says the approach is no different than Apple’s partnership with iPhone builder Foxconn. Flip the Pixel over and you’ll see “Made by Google,” another tip of the hat to Apple, which has long made much of the fact that its phones are “Designed by Apple in California.” Osterloh says Google will never say the Pixel is co-engineered with anyone else. He proudly proclaims, “It’s ours.”

Congratulations on your new iPhone!

If Google actually designed this thing from scratch themselves, they need to fire the entire design team.

Jeffrey

Axon 7 is my first phone with loud front facing speakers and it's been useful. Like it's loud enough for me to listen to the vice president debate while I was doing chores. I should get a Bluetooth speaker someday though.

Maybe Google home?

Obviously they didn't given they are using someone elses chip designs.

Even Huawei makes their own chips. I know Google has been software first and foremost, but I think it's time to expand to their own hardware. Hell, if anything, if they make a good and viable SoC, why not get other companies to use it and in turn, make more of a profit.

I found it odd that Home can't do things that the Assistant on the phone can do, like texting and emailing. Maybe that's forthcoming? Or, did I miss it? I'd love for it to read notification to me too.

NotBacon

Is agree with that - apart from the wireless charging. It's what's stopping me getting one at the moment. Once you get used to it it's hard to go back.
Just putting your phone on a stand at your bedside at night - It's brilliant.

I'm not bothered about the SD slot, as long as the memory is, say, 64GB minimum. 32 isn't enough these days.

Never understood why people are obsessed with stereo speakers on a phone.

I used the wireless charging capabilities of my Nexus 6 for maybe a few months. After getting used to quick charging though, wireless charging is like molasses now. Definitely don't think it's a deal breaker. Now no quick charging would definitely be a deal breaker.

What are you looking for? best value? best phone? what do you typically care most about: screen, camera, software updates, etc?

Def best value, Dropping 400+ I would def have to be on Nougat. Stock like rom. Consistent performance. Thats all I really need. Kinda want a fingerprint sensor.

Love the HTC10 design, The Honor 8 is a great design as well

I'd go with Axon 7 or OP3 out of those. OP3 if you like modding the phone or Axon for better sound and screen.

I put the OP3 in there on a whim, I know nothing about it really, What I really forgot was the 6P, how do you feel about that?

Def best value, Dropping 400+ I would def have to be on Nougat. Stock like rom. Consistent performance. Thats all I really need. Kinda want a fingerprint sensor.

I put the OP3 in there on a whim, I know nothing about it really, What I really forgot was the 6P, how do you feel about that?

Stay away from the 6p. Bad processor that's aging the phone fast.

Pixel is basically your answer. Unless it bombs reviews for some odd reason.

Hasney

Still love the 6P. If you see a cheap one while they clear out stock, I'd just grab that.

Def best value

Pixel is basically your answer.

:lol

pretty fast on this years Samsungs.

SD slot: Nexus hasn't had this in years, and for good reason. Hasn't stopped iPhone from selling millions either.
the GS6 definitely dipped compared to the 7 though.

OIS: Nice to have, but it doesn't matter if EIS is 90% as good, which it looks to be on Pixel.
the difference is you can have a combination of both when you have OIS.

Stereo speakers: Bottom-firing speakers are bottom-firing speakers. Consumers don't care if the speakers 5cm apart are s//tereo.
don't care for this personally, i have 2x UE BOOM and several pairs of wired and wireless headsets but from what other people say, it's a nice feature.

riiiiiiight

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I should get a Bluetooth speaker someday though.

Maybe Google home?

Wasnt there a story that Google home did not have Bluetooth?

Also, the HTC 10 is a fantastic phone that nobody recommended in the list above and that makes me sad. $600 is still cheaper than the low end pixel. If they can shave another $100 off the price that would make it the obvious best choice.

Premium, by definition, is optional, nice-to-have features. So, you pretty much made the case that these are indeed premium features.

That aside, EIS is for Video Recording. It does fuck-all for pictures. I suspect the new smart burst is their attempt to fake OIS with software, though, since the camera will pick the shot with the least amount of handshake.

Fatalah

Anyone else sorely disappointed that Google didn't announce their own "Next" upgrade plan?

Would make the Pixel easier to commit to.

reKon

Banned

Stereo speakers: Bottom-firing speakers are bottom-firing speakers. Consumers don't care if the speakers 5cm apart are stereo.

This is sort of an embarrassing post, especially in this thread. You need another Moto X phone to cheer for or something.

hitgirl

Anyone know what else are my unlocked options with Verizon? I was going to do the Nexus 6P but I'm pretty damn salty about them holding back software features for their Pixel phones. It would only need CDMA bands. I guess there's Moto but I'm not a fan of their phones. Thanks for the help, I have a 5X now but just want a larger screen.

Jeffrey

Can someone explain google home? I assume it uses the same google assistant tech used in the Pixel, but does it work with other phones?

Is it only at 100% if you own a pixel as well?

How do you guys think the Moto Z will perform compared to the Pixel? My friend is asking for a recommendation but I know battery life is pretty important to him.
performance wise, moto is near stock android with a SD820 so it should be fine.

I'm pretty sure the moto z has a smaller battery than the pixel XL though.

RuGalz

Can someone explain google home? I assume it uses the same google assistant tech used in the Pixel, but does it work with other phones?

Is it only at 100% if you own a pixel as well?

I'm pretty sure you just don't get the same formatting of information without a Pixel. In the end of the day, it's still going to write events to your Google calendar. Notes to your Google keep. You will just access it differently else where.

Sigh, my N5 decided to kill itself on the day of Pixel announcement. I can't decide on a phone right now. The top contender for me is HTC 10 but I would like to get it for cheaper price and BF is coming up. I've got a 5x to pick up in the stores today but not sure if I want to keep it. The other route is pick up Blu R1 HD and try to last a year before picking up Pixel if that phone can even last a year LOL. Currently using an iPhone 4, it's freaking painful.

Jeffrey

its still weird that there is even a 'divide' now with current android 'ok google' and pixel's assistant.

Like they both are being processed by the same google super cloud ai anyways?

And with assistant stuff being 'exclusive' to a niche phone until probably at least i/o 2017, wonder how many devs will bother supporting it atm?

Still kinda lame that you can yell at basically any iphone of the last few years to call an uber, or reserve a table, but this stuff is only reserved for 1 android phone for at least a year?

RuGalz

They don't need every dev to support it, just some key ones for time being. Like, I can call a Uber from my Android watch via voice action. The assistant stuff is probably such integral part of Google internal system that even taking the step to make it open source will take a long time or basically impossible.

I need a rundown y'all. Whats the status on these?

HTC 10
Axon 7
Honor 8
OP3
or finance a Pixel?

I might pull the trigger soon

I've owned all of these, I'd rate them like this.

OP3 - Fast as hell, good camera, close to stock, fast scanner, great battery life, too big, bad customer service

HTC 10 - Fast as hell, good camera, close to stock, decent scanner, good battery life, good one handed use, not a fan of the display too expensive (even at 549)

Axon 7 - fast as hell, nice display, great speakers, ugly ui, slow camera, inconsistent scanner, ugly nav buttons, ugly colors, too big, good price

Honor 8 - fast as hell, good camera (fun to play around with), good one handed use, great battery life, fast scanner with cool options great price, ui goes balls deep into ios which can be a bummer

I would avoid the Axon 7 out of all of them, i bought that phone and returned it 2 hours later. the ui is just ugly with those big ass icons.

If you want one handed use get the HTC 10.

If you don't care about phone size and can handle the wait to order go get the One Plus 3, great price, great performance, great build quality, great camera, great battery, you can charge the phone from 0 to 50% before you finish beating off.

Stay away from the 6p. Bad processor that's aging the phone fast.

Pixel is basically your answer. Unless it bombs reviews for some odd reason.

Sadly, I agree. My 6P is a mess at the moment, and with the Pixel dumpsterfire, I'm not sure what to do. I guess I can try a custom mod...
]

Shame to hear against the 6P, looked like a great phone but it doesn't last over time I see

Also, the HTC 10 is a fantastic phone that nobody recommended in the list above and that makes me sad. $600 is still cheaper than the low end pixel. If they can shave another $100 off the price that would make it the obvious best choice.

The HTC 10 is the phone I think Im leaning torwards heavy.

LG G5?

Btw if you want stock rom or as close as possible honor 8 shouldn't be considered

I can't even entertain buying an LG phone when I saw a friends G4 literally die in front of my eyes due to the marshmallow. LG didn't do shit, I can't support that fuckery. Plus their software sucks ass

Top Bottom