• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

]

Shame to hear against the 6P, looked like a great phone but it doesn't last over time I see

The HTC 10 is the phone I think Im leaning torwards heavy.

I can't even entertain buying an LG phone when I saw a friends G4 literally die in front of my eyes due to the marshmallow. LG didn't do shit, I can't support that fuckery. Plus their software sucks ass

You can shave $100 dollars off the price of the pixel if you go to best buy and activate with verizon.
Edit: ugh looks like BB's base price is $50 higher though...

Buying the HTC 10 over the Pixel seems crazy to me since you are losing out big on software updates and most likely camera.

Jeffrey

htc still has the loud ass front facing speakers though, but it might not matter for most people.

Might check out the pixel though, will any retail in the US carry it? Will there be demo kiosks?

htc still has the loud ass front facing speakers though, but it might not matter for most people.

Might check out the pixel though, will any retail in the US carry it? Will there be demo kiosks?

Best Buy and Verizon should have it on display later this month.

Ty4on

You can shave $100 dollars off the price of the pixel if you go to best buy and activate with verizon.

Buying the HTC 10 over the Pixel seems crazy to me since you are losing out big on software updates and most likely camera.
HTC 10 has same sized sensor and OIS though. Only lacking the software, but shoots nice raw files if you can edit them.

diaspora

Yeah, OIS is great and I don't think EIS 2.0 is better, but dpreview had some very impressive comparison between EIS 2.0 and no stabilization at all. We have to wait for reviews but it does seem to work very good.

Edit: Here's the link
I wouldn't argue that EIS is better than no IS, but it's absolutely worse than OIS or even IBIS.

g0tm1lk

I wouldn't argue that EIS is better than no IS, but it's absolutely worse than OIS or even IBIS.

Sure but which phone has IBIS though?
In any case the canon m5 has no IBIS but does have EIS and IS on lens and both combined apparently work great.
If the final result of using EIS 2.0 is as good as OIS what's the problem? I can think of crop factor maybe but not much else.

If I get a Pixel, Im gonna end up financing it with Google. 27 bucks a month for 2 years is extremely doable and Id be dropping 75+ a month in my situation.

My 6P works flawlessly, battery is worse now on 7.0 than it was on 6.0 but still last me a day easy. S810 in this phone works great, but don't take my word for it.

I just don't know... I see so many bad mouthing the 6P and its crazy because thats the phone I originally wanted...

Now Im down to:

Pixel
HTC10
Axon 7
maybeeeee 6P

diaspora

Sure but which phone has IBIS though?
In any case the canon m5 has no IBIS but does have EIS and IS on lens and both combined apparently work great.
If the final result of using EIS 2.0 is as good as OIS what's the problem? I can think of crop factor maybe but not much else.
It isn't though given that it inherently reduces usable sensor space. The M5 works as well as it does because of OIS on lens like any other Canon with OIS. EIS is better than no IS but is worse than every other solution.

HawkeyeIC

Article from engadget confirming a lot of what's been speculated:

In an interview with Bloomberg, the company revealed that it's taking an approach that is similar in some ways to what Samsung and its other hardware partners have long been doing. For instance, Android engineer David Burke let slip that the company has designed a product roadmap that stretches years into the future. Burke himself concedes that he's been playing with a Google-branded handset that won't debut until fall of next year.

It's not just the designs of the hardware that Google is working on either, since the company is now building its own supply chain. The company partnered with HTC to assemble the Pixel phones with off-the-shelf components, but that won't be the case in future. Instead, executives say Google intends to build its own custom silicon, pushing out suppliers like Qualcomm. As much as this comparison will annoy some loyal Google fans, it does seem as if the company is cribbing from Apple's business playbook.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/04/google-finally-takes-control-of-its-phones-thanks-to-pixel/

Ruddock with some fun follow ups:

David Ruddock ‏@RDR0b11 2h2 hours ago
We've not heard much else about it, so here goes: this may be something called Project Polygon.

Not going to speculate further, because the rumor hype train would go nuts. But good to know we weren't crazy about this being a thing.

I've owned all of these, I'd rate them like this.

OP3 - Fast as hell, good camera, close to stock, fast scanner, great battery life, too big, bad customer service

HTC 10 - Fast as hell, good camera, close to stock, decent scanner, good battery life, good one handed use, not a fan of the display too expensive (even at 549)

Axon 7 - fast as hell, nice display, great speakers, ugly ui, slow camera, inconsistent scanner, ugly nav buttons, ugly colors, too big, good price

Honor 8 - fast as hell, good camera (fun to play around with), good one handed use, great battery life, fast scanner with cool options great price, ui goes balls deep into ios which can be a bummer

I would avoid the Axon 7 out of all of them, i bought that phone and returned it 2 hours later. the ui is just ugly with those big ass icons.

If you want one handed use get the HTC 10.

If you don't care about phone size and can handle the wait to order go get the One Plus 3, great price, great performance, great build quality, great camera, great battery, you can charge the phone from 0 to 50% before you finish beating off.
Damn very helpful. Thanks mayne

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/04/google-finally-takes-control-of-its-phones-thanks-to-pixel/

We've not heard much else about it, so here goes: this may be something called Project Polygon.

Not going to speculate further, because the rumor hype train would go nuts. But good to know we weren't crazy about this being a thing.

I really hope that them building their own silicon means better prices than Qualcomm ones and in turn, a bit more affordable phones while still being premium.

Great news for me. Google is buckling down.... Finally 👏👏

exYle

Anybody know how often OP3 soft golds are back in stock? I'd really like a OnePlus 3 but I don't want to buy the default version if I know the gold one is coming back in like a week.

reKon

Banned
If Google didn't use big bezels on the Pixel, I would probably like this phone a ton more. But this and the lack of waterproofing and wireless charging is unforgivable for a flagship of this kind. These are the kind of things that made some of their older phones really stand out. They aren't pointless features.

I really hope they kill it next year. Samsung will surely be bringing the heat because they will be trying save their brand and will go all out again. Apple will bring that OLED goodness along with the usual performance increases.

this_guy

I really hope they kill it next year. Samsung will surely be bringing the heat because they will be trying save their brand and will go all out again. Apple will bring that OLED goodness along with the usual performance increases.

Samsung brought too much heat this year.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

This would solve this release schedule too as they would be using this own chip setup vs being 6 months behind everyone with Qualcomm.

BiggNife

If I were to get an Android phone that works on Verizon right now, are there any good options?

The Pixels sound kind of mediocre for the price. The OnePlus 3 sadly does not support CDMA. I'm kind of hesitant to buy a Samsung phone right now considering the Note 7 battery thing (especially since a REPLACEMENT managed to blow up on a plane even while turned off).

Would I be better off waiting six months and seeing how things are then?

I have an LG G4 but I'm not confident it'll last. A few months ago my first one bricked for seemingly no reason out of nowhere and thankfully I was under warranty so I got a replacement. Having said that I'm not particularly interested in getting another LG phone.

Brandwin

Thought about leaving 6P and getting a OnePlus 3, but not sure if its worth it. Although I could probably sell my 6P and not pay much out of pocket for the OP3. I may just hold on to my 6P (no issues here for me) and wait until early next year. See what the OnePlus 4 offers. The rumors have it sounding like a great phone.

If I were to get an Android phone that works on Verizon right now, are there any good options?

The Pixels sound kind of mediocre for the price. The OnePlus 3 sadly does not support CDMA. I'm kind of hesitant to buy a Samsung phone right now considering the Note 7 battery thing (especially since a REPLACEMENT managed to blow up on a plane even while turned off).

I have an LG G4 but I'm not confident it'll last. A few months ago my first one bricked for seemingly no reason out of nowhere and thankfully I was under warranty so I got a replacement. Having said that I'm not particularly interested in getting another LG phone.

get a Note 7.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Can I say their initial DayDream reveal was great at I/O, but yesterday was terrible.

They didn't actually show anything other than some random app sizzle reels, and they didn't explain one iota how its gonna work.

Like they didn't show the interface. They didn't say what makes actually makes a device DayDream ready. They'd didnt say how your phone goes into DayDream mode. They didn't explain how you get apps. They didn't explain how it handles storage.

They spent the time telling me how some cloth helmet would feel good on my face, threw up some Harry Potter vid, dropped the touch remote as they fumbled around, then said this costs X k thanks bye!

As someone who was excited for DayDream they didn't sell that shit at all.

Did you even read his post?

of course i did and "kind of hesitant" isn't a no.

i had my timebomb for three weeks and it didn't blow up and my replacement for two and it didn't blow up.

what, 60 of the 2.5 million the so called bad ones combusted in a month along with almost 30 false claims and then ... allegedly ... one so far of the new ones in two weeks?

BiggNife get the Note 7 if you want the Note 7.

I've owned all of these, I'd rate them like this.

OP3 - Fast as hell, good camera, close to stock, fast scanner, great battery life, too big, bad customer service

HTC 10 - Fast as hell, good camera, close to stock, decent scanner, good battery life, good one handed use, not a fan of the display too expensive (even at 549)

Axon 7 - fast as hell, nice display, great speakers, ugly ui, slow camera, inconsistent scanner, ugly nav buttons, ugly colors, too big, good price

Honor 8 - fast as hell, good camera (fun to play around with), good one handed use, great battery life, fast scanner with cool options great price, ui goes balls deep into ios which can be a bummer

I would avoid the Axon 7 out of all of them, i bought that phone and returned it 2 hours later. the ui is just ugly with those big ass icons.

If you want one handed use get the HTC 10.

If you don't care about phone size and can handle the wait to order go get the One Plus 3, great price, great performance, great build quality, great camera, great battery, you can charge the phone from 0 to 50% before you finish beating off.

Whoa this is like a retro edit, Thanks for your impressions, Its highly valued. You got me thinking more about the OP3. 400 is just a good overall pricepoint.

Looking at ebay HTC10 prices is not impressive, Swappa is barely better. I really like the 10 but they priced themselves out and are still sticking by it. The One A9 is still round 3-400.

Im tempted by the Pixel because it'll just be supported so to me its worth the bump in cost to carry it for 3 years or so..

VR is a fad.

Sorta, I think VR is a new medium but also one that derives from the screen format. So while 4K and HDR is starting to take hold, you have VR in the corner with rocket boosters just trying to get off the ground. Too much VR support to let it fail, but as we see now, its not taking off mainstream anytime soon.

Unless Sony has something to say about it..... Daydream VR is another possible contender. The support will be there, it'll be about hardware options. Googles 80$ template sets the market up.

Guy... Get the Pixel. You are making a mistake by not using what is basically the iPhone from Google itself by messing around with even more third party OEM skins and looking at various cheaper phones that have cute spec sheets but are complete duds after a couple of years. It makes no sense. Wait for the reviews of the pixel and give it time. I don't understand knocking a phone down when it hasn't even released yet and you don't know how it's going to perform, especially considering its very likely to be the best Android phone that's not a Samsung...let's be real. Im mad that you are even asking this question when unlike the rest of us who aren't on Verizon, you can be the first to try this thing with no real hit out of your pocket.... Ugh 😭😭😭

I still fail to see how Daydream will be significantly different from GearVR. Thus, it's tough for me to be excited, especially as someone that has a Vive. A one-hand remote is better than no remote, for sure, but the beauty of using tracked controllers in VR is the increased immersion by having your hands represented in the space. With one controller, it's just a laser pointer.

BiggNife

Guy... Get the Pixel. You are making a mistake by not using what is basically the iPhone from Google itself by messing around with even more third party OEM skins and looking at various cheaper phones that have cute spec sheets but are complete duds after a couple of years. It makes no sense. Wait for the reviews of the pixel and give it time. I don't understand knocking a phone down when it hasn't even released yet and you don't know how it's going to perform, especially considering its very likely to be the best Android phone that's not a Samsung...let's be real. Im mad that you are even asking this question when unlike the rest of us who aren't on Verizon, you can be the first to try this thing with no real hit out of your pocket.... Ugh ������

This seems... a bit defensive and a little emotional considering what I was asking. I'm just giving my opinion based on what I've seen. It definitely looks like the consensus is that it's overpriced for the specs, and I'm not particularly happy about the regular Pixel phone only having a 2700mAh battery, which to me sounds like it would die pretty quickly. Of course I'll wait for reviews, but what I've seen so far doesn't have me particuarly enthused.

of course i did and "kind of hesitant" isn't a no.

i had my timebomb for three weeks and it didn't blow up and my replacement for two and it didn't blow up.

what, 60 of the 2.5 million the so called bad ones combusted in a month along with almost 30 false claims and then ... allegedly ... one so far of the new ones in two weeks?

BiggNife get the Note 7 if you want the Note 7.

If I get a Samsung phone I'll probably just wait for the S8 Edge. Even if the battery thing didn't happen, I definitely prefer the screen size of the Galaxy S to the Note. And at that point it'll be guaranteed they'll all be using the new batteries anyhow.

This seems... a bit defensive and a little emotional considering what I was asking. I'm just giving my opinion based on what I've seen. It definitely looks like the consensus is that it's overpriced for the specs, and I'm not particularly happy about the regular Pixel phone only having a 2700mAh battery, which to me sounds like it would die pretty quickly. Of course I'll wait for reviews, but what I've seen so far doesn't have me particuarly enthused.

😑😑😑

I wasn't being emotional or defensive. Your options were thin and I was saying that you can get the newest phone right now on the carrier you are on right now with no real consequence and... I think looking for a small fixer upper is more of a waste instead of trying the phone and getting what you can get out of it until whatever phone comes out that you want. I'm assuming Verizon has a jump plan somewhat identical to T-Mobile.

I'm just saying...

You can always keep your phone. Though if anything, I am jealous that you are on Verizon and can make this decision.

hitgirl

I just wana know when I get get a 6P with warrentyy for $399... I'm fine with 801 processor as I'll be running a custom ROM and can control what updates I take.

So with my Pixel XL arriving in a couple weeks being my first USB-C device, I'm going to need 2-3 additional USB-C cords for my PC and car. Anyone have links to the latest, greatest, and most -affordable compliant cords?

Top Bottom