• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

Unless they do what they did this year and immediately remove older models from sale without warning the second more expensive replacements get announced. RIP affordability.

expect huge sales middle of the year like how the 2015 nexuses were in the last few months.

64gb 6p was down to $400, 32gb 5x was around $250-300?

Hasney

Has anyone said anything about the Pixel storage speed? Apple and Samsung having that fast storage has really made them better experiences.

Protome

Pixel event didn't really sell me on the phone, so I ordered a Sony Xperia XZ as I kinda guessed I would. Had to get it in Black instead of Blue though, what a disaster.

Protome

Where are you ordering yours?

Upgrading through EE in the UK. They only have the Black and Platinum models.

Tried going through Carphone Warehouse and their systems just refused repeatedly to let me upgrade so I gave up on them.

Blue is by far the nicest colour imo.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My take on all of the news is that Google has decided they need to "skin" Android like all other phone manufacturers do to differentiate with their own creative features. Not to say it will look significantly different from 7.0 stock, but they are making changes that won't come to 7.1 on "pure android" devices. With Nexus confirmed dead, the only "vanilla" android will exist in AOSP. In a couple years, you could argue that Pixel phones have pure Android as Google intends it, but now in this transitional period, owners of the latest Nexus devices are left out in the cold. We now have a style of Android (stock) that Google no longer cares about. We won't get timely updates (at least for 7.1), we won't get new features, and I wouldn't be surprised to see support dropped sooner than expected a year ago. What makes this sting the most is that the Nexus line has really been the only hardware Google has made that you could count on them giving you what they promised before the dropped it, with the exception of the Nexus Q.

Skip year. 2016 is really a skip year with the iPhone and real Pixel coming next year. Great timing since my 6P is perfectly great.

So with my Pixel XL arriving in a couple weeks being my first USB-C device, I'm going to need 2-3 additional USB-C cords for my PC and car. Anyone have links to the latest, greatest, and most -affordable compliant cords?

I bought usb type c to usb type a cables from Monoprice. I wanted to find cheap, reasonable 3.1 cables, but all I could find were 3.0 cables. I bought a 1.5 foot cable for the car and two 6 feet cable for $35 with shipping and taxes.

kaiyo

Upgrading through EE in the UK. They only have the Black and Platinum models.

Tried going through Carphone Warehouse and their systems just refused repeatedly to let me upgrade so I gave up on them.

Blue is by far the nicest colour imo.

Ya I like both blue and platinum, it was hard choice between the 2, though a dark colour is better for the display, so I ordered the blue.

My take on all of the news is that Google has decided they need to "skin" Android like all other phone manufacturers do to differentiate with their own creative features. Not to say it will look significantly different from 7.0 stock, but they are making changes that won't come to 7.1 on "pure android" devices. With Nexus confirmed dead, the only "vanilla" android will exist in AOSP. In a couple years, you could argue that Pixel phones have pure Android as Google intends it, but now in this transitional period, owners of the latest Nexus devices are left out in the cold. We now have a style of Android (stock) that Google no longer cares about. We won't get timely updates (at least for 7.1), we won't get new features, and I wouldn't be surprised to see support dropped sooner than expected a year ago. What makes this sting the most is that the Nexus line has really been the only hardware Google has made that you could count on them giving you what they promised before the dropped it, with the exception of the Nexus Q.

Skip year. 2016 is really a skip year with the iPhone and real Pixel coming next year. Great timing since my 6P is perfectly great.

We're looking at this the wrong way. The good news for you Bboy AJ is that by leaving out new features from year old hardware that could obviously support it, Google has finally copied Apple.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
We're looking at this the wrong way. The good news for you Bboy AJ is that by leaving out new features from year old hardware that could obviously support it, Google has finally copied Apple.
You'll thank them for it. They've finally done what they've been too afraid to outwardly do but have been secretly doing for awhile. Scumbag Google.

NotBacon

This is sort of an embarrassing post, especially in this thread. You need another Moto X phone to cheer for or something.

This is sort of an embarrassing post, especially in this thread. You need another hobby instead of shitposting.

k

Yeah, OIS is great and I don't think EIS 2.0 is better, but dpreview had some very impressive comparison between EIS 2.0 and no stabilization at all. We have to wait for reviews but it does seem to work very good.

Edit: Here's the link

Hey look someone who did research

AndyD

aka andydumi
Side note, how are people liking Allo? I am really enjoying the multiperson messaging, and more and more people have it. I was surprised when some people I would not consider tech savvy sent me Allo messages instead of texts.

This is sort of an embarrassing post, especially in this thread. You need another hobby instead of shitposting.

k

People in here only look at dollars and bullet points.

They also think Google is in the business of catering to them and not the general population.

Side note, how are people liking Allo? I am really enjoying the multiperson messaging, and more and more people have it. I was surprised when some people I would not consider tech savvy sent me Allo messages instead of texts.

Going well for me. Just needs a desktop app and I will completely switch. Which is hinted at coming..

No Love

Banned

6P struggle life post 😇

As the 810 burns more radioactive material into AJ's thigh, we will see true insanity.

So in theory having a the Google wifi be in a lot of places like a friend's house you shouldn't have to get their WiFi password maybe if you have a pixel/nexus. Going to assume it either has a hidden ssid for use and using the Google tunnel or have a open one that could only be used by Google made phones. What use would the opening up that Fi thing be outside of like Starbucks hotspots etc need it in far more spaces

reKon

Banned
People in here only look at dollars and bullet points.

They also think Google is in the business of catering to them and not the general population.

Because only Nexus devices are capable of providing a good Android experience, amirite? Should we start talking about how battery life has generally been on Nexus phones? I think the general population deems that pretty important.

NotBacon

Looks like someone already has one.

TL;DR
"I think this is actually a phone that is equal with apples build quality and feel. Apple make phones feel damn good....this is as good"
"Camera quality is seriously good. Nexus 6p had a great camera but this is next level. Low light photos are the best I've seen in any phone."
"Cheaper or similar price to iphone. Better camera and unlimited backup. Sold."
"[Battery life is] one of its best features. Seriously good"
"Fastest phone I've used"

TL;DR
"I think this is actually a phone that is equal with apples build quality and feel. Apple make phones feel damn good....this is as good"
"Camera quality is seriously good. Nexus 6p had a great camera but this is next level. Low light photos are the best I've seen in any phone."

As much as this makes me smile, it... Still needs a month to really be considered anything tbh. I can't really see this as anything substantial especially coming from someone on the retail team..

I'll wait for Bae MKBHD review.

hitgirl

I just bought a new D Brand skin for my Nexus 5X. Gonna swap skins and pretend I got a new phone. Definitely a skip year and sort of glad I don't use stock Android as I think the whole skinning Android with Pixel is BS. I'll continue to support ROM devs instead.

That being said the Pixel camera sounds nice. Maybe I'll get that when it's 300$. Can't wait to hear that you can't unlock the pixel's bootloader or something. In that case I will switch to One Plus eventually.

HawkeyeIC

TL;DR

Want to believe, but too glowing.

Because only Nexus devices are capable of providing a good Android experience, amirite? Should we start talking about how battery life has generally been on Nexus phones? I think the general population deems that pretty important.

The Nexus wasn't targeted at the general population. Your post makes no sense.

Google has moved on from cheap geeks like yourself and wants the iPhone customers now. That's the whole point of the Pixel line.

Google has moved om from cheap geeks like yourself and wants the iPhone customers now. That's the whole point of the Pixel line.

As an iPhone user who's dabbled in Android (had the original OPO and messed around with a few other phones), this is Google's best shot of ever getting me to convert. Not this year because I have a 7 Plus coming in the next few days, but if I were to ever leave iOS it would be for a phone like the Pixel. Premium materials, good camera, quick updates and at least a few years of support are all things I'd be looking for were I to switch. iPhone users have been used to paying $650+ for a new phone every year or two years, so the price of the Pixel wouldn't sting anymore than iPhone pricing always does.

Does this work for Google? I don't know. My gut tells me that they probably should have started the Pixel program a few years ago before Apple started offering 4.7" and 5.5" phones, and the timing might also be bad to steal the Apple customer if rumors of the 10th anniversary iPhone are to be believed, but the obviously had to start somewhere.

reKon

Banned

Google has moved on from cheap geeks like yourself and wants the iPhone customers now. That's the whole point of the Pixel line.

I didn't understand what you were getting at with your post.

Also, I wouldn't call getting an S7 at launch cheap (although my company is essentially paying for it), but okay.

Bboy AJ

What was wrong with the 6P? Everyone is talking like it never existed. It had great build, excellent camera (to this day), specs, updates, advertising. Every year we talk about carriers, too. Same conversation when the N6 launched. Check old threads. I guarantee it.

I'm wondering what people think is actually different this time around. Frankly, nothing but a name and optimism. The most aggressive thing is the iPhone converter cable.

reKon

Banned
What was wrong with the 6P? Everyone is talking like it never existed. It had great build, excellent camera (to this day), specs, updates, advertising. Every year we talk about carriers, too. Same conversation when the N6 launched. Check old threads. I guarantee it.

I'm wondering what people think is actually different this time around. Frankly, nothing but a name and optimism. The most aggressive thing is the iPhone converter cable.

I was going to bring up the 6P, and say all these things, but didn't have time to earlier.

Jeffrey

If pixel 1 bringing the AI, what will pixel 2 bring?

Better be able to free backup my brain to Google. Feel like my short term memory isn't as great as it used to be.

Galaxy Nexus all over again.

diaspora

k

Hey look, someone showing their ass- a short video showing EIS in video recording doesn't demonstrate it being "90%" as good as OIS. Specifically in photography where comparing EIS wherein you're given lesser usable sensor area versus OIS.

this_guy

I just got a $50 dollar coupon for the Honor 8 through an incentive program I forgot I registered for during the prelaunch. (Had to create a new thread on their official forums). With it not selling that well hopefully they'll have discounts between now and end of the year. I think I can live with the Honor 8 for about half the price of the Pixel.

Next year will be more interesting with the 2nd generation Pixel and 10th anniversary iPhone.

remz

Yeah. The Nexus was mostly a dev + hangers on brand. The Pixel is a premium phone. Just like the other Pixel devices.
I actually saw the first other person in public witha 6P last night. it was a girl in a burger store :>

I like the look of the pixel, and the sound of the software but it really does feel like quite a lot of money when my 6P is already pretty fucking good. I wish there was a way to get it cheap in australia/on a plan without being robbed by telstra.

Fatalah

I dropped my 1st gen Moto X today, and my dang WiFi won't connect to any networks anymore!

I can see networks intermittently, try to connect to them -- but nothing happens. Did a factory reset, wiped cache. Deleted saved networks.

All signs point to the drop breaking something internally. :-(

Top Bottom