• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What was wrong with the 6P? Everyone is talking like it never existed. It had great build, excellent camera (to this day), specs, updates, advertising. Every year we talk about carriers, too. Same conversation when the N6 launched. Check old threads. I guarantee it.

I'm wondering what people think is actually different this time around. Frankly, nothing but a name and optimism. The most aggressive thing is the iPhone converter cable.

While the 6P was hobbled by the 810 heat problem I'd agree in premise.

Pixel 1.0 feels like it's just a Nexus with a new name that they gave some of their exclusive software too for a short time.

If and when they start doing their own chips then shit is gonna be a different ball game.

Quasar

I actually saw the first other person in public witha 6P last night. it was a girl in a burger store :>

I like the look of the pixel, and the sound of the software but it really does feel like quite a lot of money when my 6P is already pretty fucking good. I wish there was a way to get it cheap in australia/on a plan without being robbed by telstra.

Yeah. I'm happen enough with my 5x I got in January. Or at least not a 1000$ unhappy. Now if I'd still been using my N4 I would have pre-ordered. So I'm wait for next years Pixel.

Vanillalite

Since Google didn't WOW me with their DayDream presentation, and the rumor that apps for the platform are gonna be restricted till next year I think I'll pass till we see what DayDream brings in 2017.

Now the question is do I just keep holding off for 2017 phones like I told myself I would or do I pull the trigger on a OP3 for a stopgap as I don't need a DayDream compatible device.

No Love

Banned
Since Google didn't WOW me with their DayDream presentation, and the rumor that apps for the platform are gonna be restricted till next year I think I'll pass till we see what DayDream brings in 2017.

Now the question is do I just keep holding off for 2017 phones like I told myself I would or do I pull the trigger on a OP3 for a stopgap as I don't need a DayDream compatible device.

OP3 seems like a safe bet at this point. It's a killer phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I wish the axon 7 was in stock. That would be nice considering how long ago they launched the phone, why are they still sold out?

Vanillalite

I wish the axon 7 was in stock. That would be nice considering how long ago they launched the phone, why are they still sold out?

All of the cheap flagships are backordered. They probably don't have priority at manufacturing like a Samsung or Apple.

OP3 is still order today get it in 3-4 weeks as well.

Jeffrey

was thinking of selling my axon 7 for the pixel, but $870 before tax for the one I want... yeesh.

wonder if we will get the google processor in 2017's pixel, or will it take 2-3 more years?

Probably the best hands-on yet. Really showcases how snappy it is, and shows some glossed over features like app shortcuts and camera controls.

This is going to be a tough sell for most people. It doesn't really do anything that stands out. My OnePlus One on cyanogenmod is just as snappy. Design is boring on the front and ugly on the back. Speaker is in horrible location so it will be covered when watching videos in landscape or playing games and headphone jack is on wrong end of phone. No features that stand out or make me think damn I need to get this phone. Would be worthwhile at $450-$500 for XL.

Jeffrey

Has there been any word of the Samsung Galaxy S8 specks/design? Or is it still way too early?

Samsung is rumored to be making the next gen snapdragon. Their in house chip and SD will both be 10nm.

Expect different setups in the US vs international again.

No clue about other stuff yet.

Wonder if Samsung will kill the headphone jack.

I think that Google will soon discover just how small the market is for $650 phones which can open apps 1/4 second (250 ms) faster than a $300 phone.

I know 8 people that have ordered the Pixel and only one of them was a recommendation by me.

You don't seem to understand much about how marketing and good publicity can do for sales.

Every iPhone loving business news site on the web is ranting and raving about the pixels right now. Sites that rarely give two shits about Samsung.

NotBacon

This is going to be a tough sell for most people.

I don't think so. This is going to be a tough sell for the sub-$500 enthusiasts, which is a minority of the market. They're going for those iPhone/Samsung users who want something fresh and new for the same price. The fact that it's a great phone is just icing on the cake.

2 reasons I think their strategy might succeed:
- Aggressive advertising.
- They're distancing the brand image from Android. The word Android is only on the product page twice in tiny accessory/app descriptions. Android has some bad connotations (TouchWiz, Gingerbread era, DROID, etc.) so it makes sense. They're going after "oh yeah I had a droid once and I didn't like it" people.

I don't think so. This is going to be a tough sell for the sub-$500 enthusiasts, which is a minority of the market. They're going for those iPhone/Samsung users who want something fresh and new for the same price. The fact that it's a great phone is just icing on the cake.

2 reasons I think their strategy might succeed:
- Aggressive advertising.
- They're distancing the brand image from Android. The word Android is only on the product page twice in tiny accessory/app descriptions. Android has some bad connotations (TouchWiz, Gingerbread era, DROID, etc.) so it makes sense. They're going after "oh yeah I had a droid once and I didn't like it" people.

No one is leaving an iPhone to get a Pixel phone. Their advertising doesn't do anything to make you want a Pixel. I just saw a commercial and it was random shit with a white box changing shapes over it and then a big exclusive to Verizon logo at the end. XL will be on sale for under $500 by the end of the year. Watch and see.

digdug2k

I think that Google will soon discover just how small the market is for $650 phones which can open apps 1/4 second (250 ms) faster than a $300 phone.
I don't think Google gives much of a shit about eating into the market with these do they? I've always assumed they were just showcase/developer devices.

I'm still surprised they went expensive with this one though. i.e. I know a lot of Android devs who would shell out whatever and just write it off as a business expense, but not all of 'em. And its going to make it a bit harder for new ones to jump in. I have a feeling they figured there are enough alternatives out there, and someone on the hardware team was just like "fuck it, lets go 'big'" this year.

Aiii

So not worth it
I can see it going both ways, they have a couple things going for them:
1. They're ripping off the iPhone design, which might appeal to switchers.
2. They're doing a good job on the branding.
3. They have a cool camera.
4. Samsung Note 7 is a menace to public safety and their brand has weakened.
5. It's a premium device in every way, and the price reflects that. Psychology is a bitch, but it works.

They have a couple of things against them:
1. They're ripping off an iPhone design and their main target audience is likely to be the "I don't enjoy/like Apple"-crowd.
2. Google isn't a brand in the mobile sphere at all, despite making Android and Nexus telephones and also a Pixel tablet. They've done a great job at branding all their devices to not reflect the Google brand at all. You can get a Chromebook or a Chromecast. Your TV can have Android TV on it. And you have an Android phone or tablet. Your mail comes through GMail, you process you text and spreadsheets on Docs and Sheets. Nothing is actually named Google, it's weird.
3. Their camera is lacking features, several competitors including the main one have a dual camera and almost all of them have OIS, while all giving similar quality in normal situations.
4. They're pricing it the same as an iPhone, if their goal is to get people to switch from iPhone, don't price it the same since all those people will just stick with the OS they've invested years of money in. Should have started just a bit under, 50 or 100 bucks for the regular and XL respectively, get the people to buy in and then slowly raise the price over the next two years to go on par with iPhone.

We'll see, but they have a pretty hard sell ahead of them, mostly due to the pricing. I bet we'll see more aggressive pricing in a few months, but that first impression will be hard to shake.

LMAO, keep on believing that the Google iPhone is going to suddenly sell as much as the Apple iPhone

When did he say it would sell just as much? Your putting words in his mouth. He's saying there's a huge audience to sell to when you were inaccurately saying there wasn't.

Your basically saying this phone is going to sell horriblly when it's completely obvious it's going to sell better than any nexus device in existence.

Samsung is fucking screwed right now due to their bad publicity. Google is going to take TONS of samsung users.

There's are three types of phone news stories all over the web right now. I'm not talking about nerdy android sites.

- Same rehashed boring iPhone praise like every other year.

- Tons of samsung backlash due to the recalled phones.

- Major excitement about how refreshing the Pixel phones are.

Yep, googles not going to sell shit. Better buy stock in ZTE guys!

I don't think Google gives much of a shit about eating into the market with these do they? I've always assumed they were just showcase/developer devices.

I'm still surprised they went expensive with this one though. i.e. I know a lot of Android devs who would shell out whatever and just write it off as a business expense, but not all of 'em. And its going to make it a bit harder for new ones to jump in. I have a feeling they figured there are enough alternatives out there, and someone on the hardware team was just like "fuck it, lets go 'big'" this year.

What? Google has an entirely new hardware division that is being run by the old head of Motorola and the head of Echo, Kindle fire and fire TV.

No one said fuck it lets go big for this year. Lol. It is an enormous shift in their business model since they will be pissing off all of their partners.

Samsung is fucking screwed right now due to their bad publicity. Google is going to take TONS of samsung users.

dude they'll eat up the market share of people that do not buy Samsung phones but they won't take samsung users. people who buy Samsung phones buy "galaxy" phones not Android phones. the pixel will be just another phone to them.

mclem

Tablets!

I have gone and done this:

1hmILtg.gif

with my Nexus 10, and now the screen is looking worse-for-wear. It seems nontrivial to replace a screen in the UK, and I've been thinking about getting a new one anyway due to other problems (f'rinstance, the battery isn't retaining charge as effectively any more), so this may well accelerate things.

But... what to purchase? I like the larger form factor, but it seems most high-profile tablets favour the 7" ballpark these days - I'd be open to the 9's, though. Wondering about whether to go for a straight family->family upgrade and go for the Nexus 9, but towards the end of the 10's life, the lack of SD was starting to hurt. Could buy into the Pixel family with the C, but worried that might be a dead-end long-term on the tablet front, too. Or I could look beyond Google-branded products.

Any recommendations? I'm looking at either a product in the £250 ballpark or one in the £400 ballpark, depending on how high-end I want to aim for, and I'm wavering on that.

(Or I might just pick up another second-hand Nexus 10, they're comparatively cheap)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Buy my Nexus 10. Complete in box.

TTOOLL

I've got and recommend my Galaxy Tab S2. It's slim, light, fast, has great screen, fingerprint sensor, good battery life and amazing standby time, I get 2, 3 days of moderate use. It changed my mind on Samsung devices, at least the high-end ones. My next phone will be an S7.

mclem

I've got and recommend my Galaxy Tab S2. It's slim, light, fast, has great screen, fingerprint sensor, good battery life and amazing standby time, I get 2, 3 days of moderate use. It changed my mind on Samsung devices, at least the high-end ones. My next phone will be an S7.

Yeah, I am already Samsung on the phone side of things, perhaps there's something to be said for consistency.

tzare

interesting reactions to Google conference.
My opinion, as european, is that it was kinda worthless, Google Now is still not available in my language, so Assistant is worthless to me right now. It is an interesting thing, but voice commands ,while nice and sometimes convenient, like when driving, are not crucial for a good smartphone experience. It makes much more sense for Google Home though. We have to see if it works well too, not really sure about that.

And what is Google Home supposed to do for you? Answer banal questions or setting reminders on your calendar? I find it hard to see it worth the money. I consider it like a wireless speaker for music. Maybe i am wrong though.

As for Pixel phones, as some have said before, they come too late, at least if we consider the usual SoC cicle for android phones, just like the Note 7, in this case just rocking a slightly improved SoC compared to early 2016 flagships. And besides Google exclusive features, some of them interesting once we know everything, like unlimited photo/video cloud storage,nothing really groundbreaking compared to other android devices.
And then, some questions still not answered, battery life, google hasn't been great before with nexus phones, and camera, seems to have great quality, but we have to see real world behaviour and lack of OIS is not a good sign.Also some missing features, like waterproofing, are hard to overlook now that both, Apple and Samsung are giving their flagships water protection. That was a nice bonus back in the day when only xperias had it, but now, like fingerprint scanner, are standard features for the best selling phones, so a newcomer, that rivals the price, has to offer at least a comparable list of features, and maybe some extra ones.

We will see how it does, note 7 issues may help pixel phones a little in the android ecosystem, but S8 is not far away (probably closer than ever if samsung wants to forget Note 7 issues) with 10nm SoC.

And it also seems Google has pissed some Nexus users by locking them from 7.1 (they will have to wait now if i am not mistaken) and from Pixel software features too.
So yes, skip year.
ANd i see disappointment since many were expecting a Nexus 6P with a decent SoC, it was a great phone, expensive, but not as much. Too bad it has the 810.

Oh and chromecast ultra..... not sure if it is worth if Mi Box manages to solve its early problems with 4K.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah, I am already Samsung on the phone side of things, perhaps there's something to be said for consistency.

Yeah, the Tab S2 is pretty much the best tablet in the market at the moment if you disregard the iPad. Probably because it resembles the iPad so much. Gotta love that 4:3 form factor. Only issue I have with it is the battery life (at least on my 8" model, it doesn't last that long SOT)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm interested in how the unlimited storage works. For what, a year? Forever?

I'm interested in how the unlimited storage works. For what, a year? Forever?

I wonder if it's basically anything that goes through that phone to be uploaded by Google Photos just doesn't get counted in your storage. So like, even if you have the Pixel, and another device, only photos uploaded from the Pixel are part of it. And if that is the case I presume it just has to be until they change how all their storage works.

shingi70

Banned
I understand why processors are so important for desktops, laptops, hell even tablets, but why is there so much talk about mobile Socs here. Isn't that mentality is why Android is fucking stuttery depending on the skin. Seems to me the pixel is going all in with the iphone's simplicity not only when it comes to user interface but hardware. Does it matter if the S8 has a better Soc if the pixels overall experiences is snappier and lightweight?

tzare

I understand why processors are so important for desktops, laptops, hell even tablets, but why is there so much talk about mobile Socs here. Isn't that mentality is why Android is fucking stuttery depending on the skin. Seems to me the pixel is going all in with the iphone's simplicity not only when it comes to user interface but hardware. Does it matter if the S8 has a better Soc if the pixels overall experiences is snappier and lightweight?

how can we be sure pixel phones , with that extra layer of google services , ain't gonna stutter?
It is android with google's own bloat, just like any other oem.
I guess that more raw power is a way to make things snappier, instead of optimizing software, especially for companies with so many devices. Optimizing requieres time and testing. And i doubt there's enough time with phones releasing so close to each other. At least apple has a full year for its limited number of devices.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I wonder if it's basically anything that goes through that phone to be uploaded by Google Photos just doesn't get counted in your storage. So like, even if you have the Pixel, and another device, only photos uploaded from the Pixel are part of it. And if that is the case I presume it just has to be until they change how all their storage works.

This is my assumption on how they're going to handle it.

The Google Assistant in the Pixel and the Home are going to be one and the same, correct? I know they said during the conference that Phillips Hue is one of the Home launch partners. I have several Hue lights and would like to be able to control them from my phone using Google Assistant.

Vanillalite

The iPhone isn't stuttery. Doesn't mean the next iPhone isn't gonna be faster cause of the new chip.

Especially with as much shit as people are doing on their phones these days the more power the better.

Plus as another poster said if you raise your max power level when shit doesn't start to go well you won't notice as much.

Like going down two notches from 8 gets you to 6. Let's say 8 is old max. New chip is 9 max. Android still has its share of fuckery but coming down two notches from 9 gets you to 7. So you're still faster.

This isn't even talking about gaming or VR usage.

Top Bottom