• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

RuGalz

I wonder if it's basically anything that goes through that phone to be uploaded by Google Photos just doesn't get counted in your storage. So like, even if you have the Pixel, and another device, only photos uploaded from the Pixel are part of it. And if that is the case I presume it just has to be until they change how all their storage works.

It's only photos and videos from the Pixel device. Make sense that the storage is probably "forever" especially with people here changing their phones like every 3 months.

Talon

When did he say it would sell just as much? Your putting words in his mouth. He's saying there's a huge audience to sell to when you were inaccurately saying there wasn't.

Your basically saying this phone is going to sell horriblly when it's completely obvious it's going to sell better than any nexus device in existence.

Samsung is fucking screwed right now due to their bad publicity. Google is going to take TONS of samsung users.
"You're." Not "Your."

Jesus Christ.

Ty4on

Modern web pages can also be bloated as fuck and make even "snappy" phones grind to a halt.

I want the fastest CPU because sometimes, for whatever reason, a lot of shit is thrown at it. Those times when it's at its slowest is when a faster CPU really matters because you're probably strained on time and really need to send that message, find those navigation instructions or open that document. Storage performance also plays a big role here.

Volotaire

Two other problems that compound the Pixel for next year's release related to comments that the Pixel is late in the cycle:

- Because Google is now in the premium phone market, its direct competitors are Samsung's Galaxy and Apple's iPhone. But Google's release of its phones comes much longer after its computers, losing potential market share from people who are investing in premium devices and people in education. It needs to move up its release schedule for the next few years

- If Google wants to focus on the AI component of their phones, and market the phones as digital assistants, it needs a clear differentiable USP on the AI/voice front from its competitors - this was not displayed at the Google conference

taco543

Sweet. Also it's expected to be released on 10/28. Probably going to get it especially if they do freebies like they usually do. A battery coffin and those B&O headphones would be nice.
Each day this phone sounds more and more appealing. I bought the g4 and honestly wasn't a fan. I have the 6p now and all though I love it, I'm looking to switch and the v20 just sounds better and better. The other option since I love modding and custom Roms would be OP3 but at this point I'd rather wait for the 4.

Jeffrey

Highly recommend not buying the ZTE Axon 7, it has severe signal issues https://community.zteusa.com/thread/12600

Oh and the fingerprint reader does not work with Android Pay https://community.zteusa.com/thread/12060

fingerprint doesn't work with android pay if you unlocked your bootloader which is common with most phones i think.

Signal coverage is definitely worse than my iphone, but i live in an area where it doesn't matter much. The 'cheap' flagship phones typically cheap out on the antenna :/

Best to just get an axon 7 or what not and see if it works for you in your area.

amazon does have a return policy.

fingerprint doesn't work with android pay if you unlocked your bootloader which is common with most phones i think.

Signal coverage is definitely worse than my iphone, but i live in an area where it doesn't matter much. The 'cheap' flagship phones typically cheap out on the antenna :/

Best to just get an axon 7 or what not and see if it works for you in your area.

amazon does have a return policy.
Fingerprint reader doesn't work on locked bootloader as well, you are forced to use a pin code.

Each day this phone sounds more and more appealing. I bought the g4 and honestly wasn't a fan. I have the 6p now and all though I love it, I'm looking to switch and the v20 just sounds better and better. The other option since I love modding and custom Roms would be OP3 but at this point I'd rather wait for the 4.

Yea I have the OP3 and I really like it, but I am using my dad's and he is using a crap phone so I want to give it back to him once I get a new device.

Seems like the T-Mo version will come with the B&O headphones. I could flip it for some money and hopefully LG themselves will be offering a battery coffin.

RuGalz

Picked up a 5x 32G for $270 to replace my dead N5, seems to run decent enough for a couple years I need it to last although I wish it was a bit smaller. Now I need a fire sale of 6p to replace my sister's OnePlus One... Did I already miss that?

That's too bad. I guess I may just cancel my $277 Amazon deals.

I cancelled mine when resale values tanked and picked up a like new 64gb 6p for $277.
Picked up a 5x 32G for $270 to replace my dead N5, seems to run decent enough for a couple years I need it to last although I wish it was a bit smaller. Now I need a fire sale of 6p to replace my sister's OnePlus One... Did I already miss that?

You missed them. I posted a link a few days ago.

Hilarious. No one but Apple has any power. In fact, Apple makes carriers jump through hoops.
Even Apple does not have power when it comes to TV. Apparently, Tim Cook wasn't able to get the type of deals to make Apple TV take off the way Jobs was able to get the music deals back in the day.

Toki767

Even Apple does not have power when it comes to TV. Apparently, Tim Cook wasn't able to get the type of deals to make Apple TV take off the way Jobs was able to get the music deals back in the day.

I don't even remember the last time they even talked about Apple TV.

VoxPop

Genuinely surprised Verizon didn't stick a giant check mark on the chin of the pixel. I'm assuming there's one in the back that also tells you it's a Verizon LTE phone?

Kaiken

Banned
Anyone know if the Pixel phones from Bestbuy will be unlocked (ala Google Store) or will they be strictly for Verizon or with a locked bootloader?

Jeffrey

Genuinely surprised Verizon didn't stick a giant check mark on the chin of the pixel. I'm assuming there's one in the back that also tells you it's a Verizon LTE phone?

might be on the screen protector out of the box.

I swear they did that for a few phones in the past lol.

Saiyan-Rox

Fuckin dropped my OP3 today...luckily I had tempered glass on so the bottom of the tempered glass cracked and not the screen so I was happy

Until I looked at the top where the screen protector doesn't go and saw some damage...even though it's small i'm still pissed off....fricken curved screens! (yes I did have a case on)

ZOONAMI

Put this in the Google event thread but thought I would put it here too:

Zenfone 3 deluxe with sd821 up for preorder on Newegg for $499. Ship date 11/1.

Seems to be a good deal.

Also the Moto z is now unlocked for GSM carriers on Motorola's site for $699. I'm also considering that. 64gb and much better looking.

rc213

Put this in the Google event thread but thought I would put it here too:

Zenfone 3 deluxe with sd821 up for preorder on Newegg for $499. Ship date 11/1.

Seems to be a good deal.

Also the Moto z is now unlocked for GSM carriers on Motorola's site for $699. I'm also considering that. 64gb and much better looking.

3 Deluxe 820 is $499
3 Deluxe Special Edition 821 is $799

Might be a mistake, The 821 version is supposed to be $799 according to most sites that posted the info today.

I have been using a OP3 and Axon 7 the last few days. Really like the Axon 7. Settings and options seem to be better and the speakers/headphone output is insane.

One hold up, like the OP3 is the camera, coming from a iPhone SE.

Thinking about just going to a Galaxy S7. Really going outside my budget though. Or is there another $400ish android phone with good battery life/camera/headhone jack/etc?

I have been using a OP3 and Axon 7 the last few days. Really like the Axon 7. Settings and options seem to be better and the speakers/headphone output is insane.

One hold up, like the OP3 is the camera, coming from a iPhone SE.

Thinking about just going to a Galaxy S7. Really going outside my budget though. Or is there another $400ish android phone with good battery life/camera/headhone jack/etc?
Moto Z Play, currently the best battery life of any US phone, that includes the iPhone. The camera is good, not great. Its $450 unlocked. Check the reviews on YouTube. Has headphone jack. Is 99% stock and 7.0 update is in Q4.

Toki767

I'm kind of surprised and yet not surprised that Allo has been out for 2 weeks now and hasn't gotten a single update or mention by Google.

It's pretty much dead isn't it.

Not sure if I'd buy a Motorola phone right now given that Lenovo has gotten rid of the entire company at this point. I'd be worried about the future of their devices since they haven't given a firm date for Nougat on last year's phones like the Moto X Pure and security updates have been few and far between. You'd spend $450 on the Moto Z Play and then have it get abandoned next year when they move on to another phone.

Top Bottom