• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

I have been using a OP3 and Axon 7 the last few days. Really like the Axon 7. Settings and options seem to be better and the speakers/headphone output is insane.

One hold up, like the OP3 is the camera, coming from a iPhone SE.

Thinking about just going to a Galaxy S7. Really going outside my budget though. Or is there another $400ish android phone with good battery life/camera/headhone jack/etc?

s7edge is the one with the good battery.

it's not too expensive these days to import an unlocked one though. Seeing them around $600?

Not sure if I'd buy a Motorola phone right now given that Lenovo has gotten rid of the entire company at this point. I'd be worried about the future of their devices since they haven't given a firm date for Nougat on last year's phones like the Moto X Pure and security updates have been few and far between. You'd spend $450 on the Moto Z Play and then have it get abandoned next year when they move on to another phone.

List from Lenovo on their phones getting Nougat.

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/n-is-for-nougat-android-70-is-coming-to.html

Moto G (4th Gen)
Moto G Plus (4th Gen)
Moto G Play (4th Gen)
Moto X Pure Edition (3rd Gen)
Moto X Style
Moto X Play
Moto X Force
Droid Turbo 2
Droid Maxx 2
Moto Z
Moto Z Droid
Moto Z Force Droid
Moto Z Play
Moto Z Play Droid
Nexus 6

List from Lenovo on their phones getting Nougat.

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/n-is-for-nougat-android-70-is-coming-to.html

Moto G (4th Gen)
Moto G Plus (4th Gen)
Moto G Play (4th Gen)
Moto X Pure Edition (3rd Gen)
Moto X Style
Moto X Play
Moto X Force
Droid Turbo 2
Droid Maxx 2
Moto Z
Moto Z Droid
Moto Z Force Droid
Moto Z Play
Moto Z Play Droid
Nexus 6
Notice that I said "Firm date". They are basically giving a blanket statement saying "Oh it'll come at some point" and not committing to any specific date. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the phones do not get Nougat until the Summer of 2017 or even later then that. Not to mention going by that list they have abandoned the Moto G 2013 and it isn't even a very old device.

Unfortunately it runs the SD 625.
True, but according to the reviews it performs like a flagship device with zero lag. Unless you're into heavy gaming 625 is a great SoC, its as powerful as 808 with better battery optimizations.

A higher end SoC doesn't really matter if the software optimization isn't there.

Notice that I said "Firm date". They are basically giving a blanket statement saying "Oh it'll come at some point" and not committing to any specific date. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the phones do not get Nougat until the Summer of 2017 or even later then that. Not to mention going by that list they have abandoned the Moto G 2013 and it isn't even a very old device.

Do companies normally announce firm dates for their phones though?

Jeffrey

so whats been confirmed for nougat in 2016 so far?

pixel (duh), the newer motorola's, axon 7 (teased by forum mods in 2 more updates).

Anyone else? Sony? LG? HTC?

Jeffrey

Zenfone UI makes Touchwiz look like stock android

tbf, out of all the custom launchers out there, its probably my favorite. Something about the animations just feel nice.

But then I just use the launcher on the play store, is the phone version drastically different?

tbf, out of all the custom launchers out there, its probably my favorite. Something about the animations just feel nice.

But then I just use the launcher on the play store, is the phone version drastically different?

Lol Asus easily has the most bloat. Like 15+ apps and their Ui is just plain cartoony. Worse than old Touchwiz.

Jeffrey

if pixel will take on ios, it needs to be enterprise ready too.

better exchange support that integrates into the default calendar (which i assume is google calendar). the current gmail exchange support is kinda lack luster.

also visual voice mail natively like ios. dont want to dl a clunky app.

Now that the Pixel phones have been unveiled I have already moved on to being excited at how next year will turn out. I think at this point in time I am more interested in the $400 and below market rather than the Tenth Anniversary iPhone and Pixel Phone 2. I'd be perfectly happy if I could just get a reasonably good phone that isn't a phablet and either comes with long-term software updates or lets me root/flash it without voiding warranty. The Blu R1 HD I used for about a month was a really good phone minus some software glitches and the poor camera performance and I would have liked to spend a little more for features like Quick-charge compatibility.

(Edit) Cross posting this from the Pixel thread.
According to an Editor at Android Central both phones will come to AT&T the first week of November. So this might just be a timed exclusivity and not a full on deal.
https://twitter.com/gbhil/status/783926696760242176

Jeffrey

Doesn't Google offer an installment plan? Why buy through the carriers unless they give you a hell of a deal for trade in.

kaiyo

so whats been confirmed for nougat in 2016 so far?

pixel (duh), the newer motorola's, axon 7 (teased by forum mods in 2 more updates).

Anyone else? Sony? LG? HTC?

Xperia X performance, Xperia XZ are getting it later this month. Xperia X and X compact next month. Z5 series in December.

Sony-Xperia-Android-Nougat-mojandroid.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm kind of surprised and yet not surprised that Allo has been out for 2 weeks now and hasn't gotten a single update or mention by Google.

It's pretty much dead isn't it.

Google doesn't actually care about the app. They just care about the AI inside the app.

I'm kind of surprised and yet not surprised that Allo has been out for 2 weeks now and hasn't gotten a single update or mention by Google.

It's pretty much dead isn't it.

It's preinstalled on every pixel phone and is in all the marketing material. It also has a slew of features coming that the lead hinted at.

What did you think of whatsapp and blackberry messenger 2 weeks after launch?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm still trying to figure out what makes this a Pixel phone vs just a Nexus phone with a new name. Other Nexus devices have had exclusive features for a bit anyways.

Other than just being premium for a premium price I don't see how this isn't just a Nexus called a Pixel by Google.

and /r/Android.

Yep, the level of bitching and hating has reached a new level. 2/3rds of the posts in here or reddit do nothing but talk shit or pout about Android/Google.

It's become very tiring and is ruining the discussions. Just look at the last message I replied to about allo from toki. It's constant. We need an official pixel owners thread to weed out all the babies.

Ruddock's story was more than justified.

akileese

and /r/Android.

It's way more /r/android than GAF really. They were in full blown meltdown mode. GAF was pissed but I think a lot of people understood they were trying to cannibalize Apple users even if we felt it was misguided and probably not going to work.

It's not a bad phone...Quite the opposite really. I just don't think it's what long time vanilla android users wanted, which is fair. I'm personally going to wait it out and see if Google develops their own chips independent of Qualcomm. I've got an S7E and I don't feel the need to upgrade from it even though it irritates me from time to time. At that point I'll wait to see what Google's offering is next term and if I'm not happy, I'll probably go with oneplus.

VoxPop

Hey Ruddock wrote an article on NeoGAFs reaction to the pixel phones! You guys are in the news!

Meh same thing every year.

People want premium phones but don't want to pay premium prices.

Budget phone doesn't have x feature or lousy camera. Yell at the cloud.

Like the article says, Nexus users aren't guaranteed any features. Be grateful you're even getting updates compared to other phones.

While the Pixel isn't anything special, I think it's a great step for google to finally integrate their hardware and software. Also to try new things and take risks without being held back by trash manufacturers and carriers as much.

Glad the Nexus line is dead. Long live Pixel.

/

Imo the OP3 is without a doubt the best phone of 2016 in terms of value. If the Axon wasn't so ugly and didn't have those awful capacitive buttons, I would put it as the 1b to OP3's 1a.

Note7 is a great phone but they really blew it. The Exynos S7e takes it for me in the high end Android arena.

Love the look of the Moto Z but it's a shit phone value wise.

reKon

Banned

Like the article says, Nexus users aren't guaranteed any features. Be grateful you're even getting updates compared to other phones.

While the Pixel isn't anything special, I think it's a great step for google to finally integrate their hardware and software. Also to try new things and take risks without being held back by trash manufacturers and carriers as much.

/

Imo the OP3 is without a doubt the best phone of 2016 in terms of value. If the Axon wasn't so ugly and didn't have those awful capacitive buttons, I would put it as the 1b to OP3's 1a.

Note7 is a great phone but they really blew it. The Exynos S7e takes it for me in the high end Android arena.

Love the look of the Moto Z but it's a shit phone value wise.

OK the Axon is not an ugly phone, c'mon now..

You are right it's not ugly... it's straight up horrendous.
Wrong. Love the look of axon. Forced On screen button with giant useless chin are ugly phones that do not even try to differentiate them self and ask for 700 dollars. Phone like axon and op3 give you options for capacitive or touchscreen buttons.

Groof

I feel like the ones talking shit about the pixel line are the same people that wanted Google to make a proper iPhone competitor in the first place. Y'all ain't ever happy

clav

I guess no one really uses turn by turn navigation on those phones.

That's enough to not use them when entry phones get that right.

I think appearance is obviously a preference thing. That being said I hate the Axon 7 design. It looks super ugly from the rear and the front is kind of ugly because I hate the visible black bezel around the screen and they don't have a dark enough color option for it to blend with.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

While the Pixel isn't anything special
, I think it's a great step for google to finally integrate their hardware and software. Also to try new things and take risks without being held back by trash manufacturers and carriers as much.

What is premium about the Pixel that wasn't premium in the 6P?

People said the same premium price nonsense about the Nexus 6 and that was not premium, either. How is the Pixel a new thing?

Jeffrey

i'd agree axon 7 isn't the prettiest thing, but its dimensions and weight distribution makes it one of the more pleasant 5.5" phones to hold out there for my semi-trump sized hands.

like going between the axon 7 and the 6s plus is a fair amount of difference in ease of holding.

What is premium about the Pixel that wasn't premium in the 6P?

People said the same premium price nonsense about the Nexus 6 and that was not premium, either. How is the Pixel a new thing?

The flash for one thing.

I would like to see the cost difference from the 810 to the 821 and the eMMC from last year to the UFS 2.0 this year.

24/7 on demand remote support and unlimited quality photo uploads is adding quite a bit to the cost as well. I consider the remote support at least to be a premium feature.

Seriously, the fact that the Pixel and Pixel XL for Verizon (if you get it through them) will have an update schedule and released based on Verizon, not by Google. So good luck getting ANY updates for the Pixel, folks.

i'd agree axon 7 isn't the prettiest thing, but its dimensions and weight distribution makes it one of the more pleasant 5.5" phones to hold out there for my semi-trump sized hands.

like going between the axon 7 and the 6s plus is a fair amount of difference in ease of holding.

I really like the Axon7 I have been using. Really everything but the camera (which isn't that bad). Feels great with the included case too. The lack of backbiting on the buttons hasn't been an issue for me either.

And the battery life seems to be significantly better than the OnePlus 3 I had been using.

Seems like it is the best $399 phone right now?

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
So what justifies the price of the Pixel compared to the Note 7 and iPhone? At least with the Note 7 you get one of the best if not the best screen which can play HDR video, expandable memory, top in class camera, wireless charging and etc.

Top Bottom