• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

I really like the Axon7 I have been using. Really everything but the camera (which isn't that bad). Feels great with the included case too. The lack of backbiting on the buttons hasn't been an issue for me either.

And the battery life seems to be significantly better than the OnePlus 3 I had been using.

Seems like it is the best $399 phone right now?

2 years warranty, official CM support coming, daydream VR support.

It has its quirks but for $400 its probably the 'best' overall phone for that price.

ZTE is something people need to keep an eye out in the US. the improvements from last years axon pro to axon 7 is leaps and bounds.

wonder how they will top the axon 7 next year, if they still think selling globally is worth their time.

I really like the Axon7 I have been using. Really everything but the camera (which isn't that bad). Feels great with the included case too. The lack of backbiting on the buttons hasn't been an issue for me either.

And the battery life seems to be significantly better than the OnePlus 3 I had been using.

Seems like it is the best $399 phone right now?

2 years warranty, official CM support coming, daydream VR support.

It has its quirks but for $400 its probably the 'best' overall phone for that price.

ZTE is something people need to keep an eye out in the US. the improvements from last years axon pro to axon 7 is leaps and bounds.

wonder how they will top the axon 7 next year, if they still think selling globally is worth their time.

Also. It doesn't seem to work with Android File Transfer. Keeps failing the transfer.

snacknuts

we all knew her
So what justifies the price of the Pixel compared to the Note 7 and iPhone? At least with the Note 7 you get one of the best if not the best screen which can play HDR video, expandable memory, top in class camera, wireless charging and etc.
For me:
+Timely Android updates
+No TouchWiz. I know it's gotten better, but I still don't like it.
+No Samsung bloatware.
+No physical home button.

So what justifies the price of the Pixel compared to the Note 7 and iPhone? At least with the Note 7 you get one of the best if not the best screen which can play HDR video, expandable memory, top in class camera, wireless charging and etc.

A camera that is probably going to be in the same tier as Samsung and Apple. I mean, the 6P was by most measurements, and the Pixel camera will probably be better. Android updates before most manufacturers release them. No Samsung bloatware. No iOS. I hate iOS, even though I recently bought my self an iPad Pro. It's enough for me, coming from the Nexus 5. Time to retire my first smart phone.

Kitoro

I've been seeing that Android 7 is available for the Nexus 6 now, but I haven't gotten a system update rolled out to mine yet. Is that even happening, or do we just have to download the OTA files manually and upgrade at our own risk?

clav

Read the Nexus 5X suffers from bootloop issues after an year of ownership.

How unfortunate.

Wait, wot's all this about GPS? Surely not another issue with the Pixel?
No phones that people claim that are better than Pixel because of pricing and flagship features.

They have GPS issues.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
For me:
+Timely Android updates
+No TouchWiz. I know it's gotten better, but I still don't like it.
+No Samsung bloatware.
+No physical home button.

For someone like me who prefers stock but it's not a deal breaker I find better value in what the Note 7 has to offer. I have gone from N4 - N5 - to Moto X Pure my next phone will most not likely have stock or close to stock Android. Now I'm not trying to bash the Pixel, for all I know it could be the best phone known to man when released.

More Verizon Pixel news. Bloatware will install after activation, but be uninstallable.

http://phandroid.com/2016/10/06/verizon-pixel-pre-installed-apps/

Seriously, the fact that the Pixel and Pixel XL for Verizon (if you get it through them) will have an update schedule and released based on Verizon, not by Google. So good luck getting ANY updates for the Pixel, folks.

There goes my reason for getting a Pixel.

An Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is my other option (used to be the Note 7 until the battery fiasco).

Dineren

Banned
As someone who used to hate Touchwiz on older Samsung phones, I actually found Touchwiz to be completely inoffensive for the time I had a Note 7. After the recall I went with a OnePlus 3 as a temp phone until the Pixel launch and honestly there was nothing about the Note 7's interface that struck me as bad when compared to this.

I'll probably be switching back to the Note 7, that hardware is just too nice to pass up.

For someone like me who prefers stock but it's not a deal breaker I find better value in what the Note 7 has to offer. I have gone from N4 - N5 - to Moto X Pure my next phone will most not likely have stock or close to stock Android. Now I'm not trying to bash the Pixel, for all I know it could be the best phone known to man when released.

24/7 remote support built into the OS
Free original quality photo and 4k video backups
Hardware level vr support (daydream)
Way less latency / better ui performance
Google Assistant
App icon shortcuts
OK Google voice commands when phone display is off
SECURITY

With the note 7 your getting Google bloat, Samsung bloat and carrier bloat.

There goes my reason for getting a Pixel.

An Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is my other option (used to be the Note 7 until the battery fiasco).

How does this have any bearing on your purchase decision?

What's weird as hell is you say you're going to look for an unlocked edge yet you won't buy a pixel unlocked? Buy it from the Google store and take it to verizon. Yeesh.

How does this have any bearing on your purchase decision?

What's weird as hell is you say you're going to look for an unlocked edge yet you won't buy a pixel unlocked? Buy it from the Google store and take it to verizon. Yeesh.

I don't want to go through Verizon just for their updates, etc., though.

I don't want to go through Verizon just for their updates, etc., though.

I'm not understanding. There is absolutely zero drawback to buying a pixel phone from Google and popping in a verizon sim.

You will get no verizon bloat and get ALL updates from Google even though you are on vzw towers.

They say that you'll have to go through Verizon in order to receive updates, dealing with their bloatware, etc.

Stop reading into these peoples posts that are nothing but negative news. They are just being dramatic.

A Pixel bought from Google used on verizons network has zero vzw bloat and ALL updates straight from Google. PERIOD.

I don't know why you guys thought the v20 was going to be cheap. There was never an indication they were going low priced and last year's was also expensive.

Stop reading into these peoples posts that are nothing but negative news. They are just being dramatic.

A Pixel bought from Google used on verizons network has zero vzw bloat and ALL updates straight from Google. PERIOD.
Have they confirmed that putting a Verizon SIM into a Google bought model won't lock the bootloader or install the Verizon apps or delay firmware updates?

I only ask because it has happened before and that information was not disclosed.

Have they confirmed that putting a Verizon SIM into a Google bought model won't lock the bootloader or install the Verizon apps or delay firmware updates?

I only ask because it has happened before and that information was not disclosed.

This isn't a Samsung phone. Samsung does that intentionally with their phones.

A an unlocked Nexus with the Verizon bands has never done that before.

I'm sure it would have been reported by now and it wouldn't be an unlocked phone.

24/7 remote support built into the OS
Free original quality photo and 4k video backups
Hardware level vr support (daydream)
Way less latency / better ui performance
Google Assistant
App icon shortcuts
OK Google voice commands when phone display is off
SECURITY

With the note 7 your getting Google bloat, Samsung bloat and carrier bloat.

Damn dude. You sure are on Google's dick trying to sell pixels for them a lot for someone that isn't even buying one.

M3d10n

My aunt's old, cheap and terrible Samsung phone just died in the most peculiar fashion, so I'm appealing to GAF to see if anyone has an way to resurrect it (she's flat broke and can't afford a new one):

Model number GT-S7273T, apparently a Brazilian operator variant of the Galaxy Ace 3. After a short, but variable amount of time after being turned on, the phone will display a screen full of random pixels for a moment and reboot. It doesn't matter if you use it or not, it will reboot itself in 5 minutes tops.

My first action was to try rushing to the settings and uninstall apps, starting with the Google Now Launcher, which has no business being in such crappy phone. Then the bizarre happened: when the phone inevitably rebooted itself, the app icon was back on the home screen. The same thing happened with any apps I tried to uninstall: the phone would freeze, reboot and they would come back. Also, the phone receives the same WhatsApp messages when it boots if I don't disable wifi quickly enough after the reboot. I soon found out that wifi and any other settings wouldn't stick and would revert back after a reboot.

My second action was to try a factory reset from the recovery menu. Which didn't work: the phone would reboot exactly as it was when it was handed to me. Then I tried using Samsung's Kies software to flash the firmware. Same result. I finally downloaded Odin with a stock firmware image and even checked the dreaded "Nand Erase All" box. Nothing.

My aunt's phone is literally stuck in a groundhog day.

I believe the internal NAND somehow became read-only, since performing actions that result in writes like installing/uninstalling apps are sure fire ways to cause the device to reboot.

Thing is, I'm not very knowledgeable in Android hacking and my attempt at rooting it using SRS failed (rooting by installing an app is obviously not possible), so GAF is my last resort.

Damn dude. You sure are on Google's dick trying to sell pixels for them a lot for someone that isn't even buying one.

I like competition and hate apple. I see this and Google in general as the only way to pound them down a bit.
It's not about Google for me, it's about apple. I would also root for another contender but there just isn't one imo.

Apples shitty businesses practices and control over developers like myself sucks.

Dont yell at me...

I settled for a Moto G4 since its gonna be a birthday present and I need to get off this fucked up burner....

I still kinda want the Pixel & the HTC10. Want to try the OP3, thatll def be copped in the 200$ range.

Also I bought an Nvidia Shield K1!!!! Super excited for it!

clav

I believe the internal NAND somehow became read-only, since performing actions that result in writes like installing/uninstalling apps are sure fire ways to cause the device to reboot.

Thing is, I'm not very knowledgeable in Android hacking and my attempt at rooting it using SRS failed (rooting by installing an app is obviously not possible), so GAF is my last resort.

When you use ODIN prior to flashing/initiating the image, enter the phone's ODIN mode (symbol with an Android sign with the word : "Downloading" and "Do not turn off target!"). Traditionally that mode is activated by powering up the phone with the button combo (hold volume rocker down + home button + power), which is usually the inverse of the recovery button combo (volume rocker up + home button + power).

If that doesn't work, then you know it's time: https://youtu.be/4xup4OMYCvY

I like competition and hate apple. I see this and Google in general as the only way to pound them down a bit.
It's not about Google for me, it's about apple. I would also root for another contender but there just isn't one imo.

Apples shitty businesses practices and control over developers like myself sucks.

Apple sucks, but nothing is going to stop them. They are entrenched as the leader in the smartphone world. Apple fans just bend over and accept whatever they spit out. You should be against Google for doing what they are doing. They are taking more and more control of Android away from people with each iteration. Making a phone that reeks of an iPhone copy design wise that costs iPhone prices and lacks flagship android build quality sure isn't going to light the world on fire, no matter how much you champion it on here. Being a Verizon exclusive with Verizon bloatware also does nothing to help their cause.

clav

Problem is Google's competitiveness in the mobile space is tied to Qualcomm.

Qualcomm seems to be dragging everyone down in terms of computing power although they still have an edge in modem tech.

Drivers are all stuck on dated Linux kernels, too.

Toki767

I have a feeling most of the 24/7 help cases on the Pixel are going to be about battery drain issues after updates or downloading certain apps.

Soodanim

How do phones usually do on black friday/cyber Monday? I could happily go pick up a OP3 today but a can live a month and a half, especially if it means getting a bargain. UK here.

Suppose the phone is cooked. I assume the support will be extended online but I guess its cool you get that level of contact directly from the phone.

The questions will be asinine but these are people who don't know computers.

Aiii

So not worth it
830 dollars for something to appeal to Audiophiles is actually rather cheap, should have asked 2000 and the suckers would have paid that, too.

Quasar

I could have sworn that only security updates are from google. OS updates are from verizon.

NotBacon

Problem is Google's competitiveness in the mobile space is tied to Qualcomm.

Qualcomm seems to be dragging everyone down in terms of computing power although they still have an edge in modem tech.

Drivers are all stuck on dated Linux kernels, too.

I agree Qualcomm is dropping the ball, but I don't think it translates much to sales. How many people walk up to the carrier kiosk at the mall and ask "okay but what is the clock speed of the CPU in this phone"?

Quasar

That is what I read. However, that is only if you get the phone directly from Verizon.

Which is terrible. Reminds me of the carrier branded nexi.

So Google gave them an exclusive and couldnt even get the ability to manage the phones properly like Apple does. That strikes me as a real black mark for the brand.

Which is terrible. Reminds ds me of the carrier branded nexi.

So Google gave them an exclusive and couldnt even get the ability to manage the phones properly like Apple does. That strikes me as a real black mark for the brand.

Just remember, they did this before with the Galaxy Nexus, and we all know how much of a titanic piece of shit that was with the Verizon version. Yet it seems that Google doesn't give a shit anymore. Funny, they try to go up against Apply directly, yet they have NO WHERE near the pull that they do in terms of who dictates updates and what is allowed to be installed on phones. Fucking stupid...

Top Bottom