• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Quasar

Just remember, they did this before with the Galaxy Nexus, and we all know how much of a titanic piece of shit that was with the Verizon version. Yet it seems that Google doesn't give a shit anymore. Funny, they try to go up against Apply directly, yet they have NO WHERE near the pull that they do in terms of who dictates updates and what is allowed to be installed on phones. Fucking stupid...

Yeah. I thought Google had learnt from that and with a madebygoogle brand they would not fallen into that trap again.

tzare

$830 is laughable

the fact that you can buy an OP3 and an axon7 for the price of a pixel, iphone , V20 or note 7 makes their pricing as you said laughable.
600-700 is expensive but still tolerable, but this premium prices are just insane

Aiii

So not worth it
the fact that you can buy an OP3 and an axon7 for the price of a pixel, iphone , V20 or note 7 makes their pricing as you said laughable.
600-700 is expensive but still tolerable, but this premium prices are just insane

I disagree with this statement. Sure, premium phones have a high cost, but with that cost comes perks you simply don't get with you OP3. You'll notice this, for instance, when your phone breaks down and you need to contact Customer Service. Or when there's a big leak discovered in the OS and your phone never gets updated instead of within a couple of weeks. Amongst other things. In LG's case, they've invested in a headphone DAC

I mean, premium phones cost a lot more than the components of their phones cost, sure, and there's certainly profit that needs to be made, but it's not like their value is completely pulled out of thin air.

tzare

well if you are going to sell like shit, at least they can have a good margin. And if there is no flaship available at a reasonable price, and the only option is going OP3, AXon or midrange, you have to bite if you really want a flagship.

tzare

I disagree with this statement. Sure, premium phones have a high cost, but with that cost comes perks you simply don't get with you OP3. You'll notice this, for instance, when your phone breaks down and you need to contact Customer Service. Or when there's a big leak discovered in the OS and your phone never gets updated instead of within a couple of weeks. Amongst other things. In LG's case, they've invested in a headphone DAC

I mean, premium phones cost a lot more than the components of their phones cost, sure, and there's certainly profit that needs to be made, but it's not like their value is completely pulled out of thin air.

well, my statement just wants to point that you can have two phones for the same price, that means that if you have an issue with one you can still use the other while waiting for a slow replacent in case of OP3, don't know about ZTE customer service.
And now OP seems to slowly expanding, reached an agreement with O2 in UK so that may help when having issues with the phone.
OS security flaws... well maybe pixels and iphones will have fast updates, but other oems... many flasghips,do not always receive those patches fast enough. As for extra things like DAC or waterprofing, and even customer service, yes, that has a cost, but not that much. I am sure most of us would be fine paying 600 or maybe a little more for those devices, but man, +800 is just insane, it is like 599€ ps3 times

Jigolo

The corner R concept from Sharp is what smartphones should look like today if we were trying to improve how compact our phones are instead of trying to mimic Apple. Xperia ZL, G2, Galaxy S4 all nice compact phones from 2013.

But alas Apple will make something like this and Android OEMs will copy it the year after instead of leading the pack

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

LG literally let their previous phones sit there when it was a known flaw in terms of the boot loop. Took them like a year to admit to it.

I wouldn't exactly say LG has the greatest customer service.

Aiii

So not worth it
If only Google didn't revise its years of update support to merely 2 years.

We don't know what they will do with the Pixel line, do we? It's obvious now that they're killing off the Nexus line, which would explain why they suddenly changed their update policy on Nexus devices.

Sharp's new concept phone http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/7/13197354/sharp-corner-r-curved-screen-phone-concept

DSC00416.0.jpg

DSC00420.0.jpg

This would be a big deal once Apple does this next year.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It looks awesome but look at that uneven lighting. It isn't ready for a concept, let alone an actual phone. See you in 2019.

Wish I had a new HP Veer.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think I'm literally the one person in the world that likes and prefers bezels for holding my phone and avoiding accidental presses.

As a related aside, I have a Galaxy Tab S2 8" which mimics the iPad Mini's bezels, but doesn't implement the tech that Apple uses to avoid accidental presses when holding it on the side bezels, so I'm constantly accidentally moving icons from my home screen to one or more pages further, pisses me off every time and it's been months and it's still happening (at first, I figured I would get used to it). If you can't do little or no bezels right, don't do it.

tzare

I think I'm literally the one person in the world that likes and prefers bezels for holding my phone and avoiding accidental presses.

As a related aside, I have a Galaxy Tab S2 8" which mimics the iPad Mini's bezels, but doesn't implement the tech that Apple uses to avoid accidental presses when holding it on the side bezels, so I'm constantly accidentally moving icons from my home screen to one or more pages further, pisses me off every time and it's been months and it's still happening (at first, I figured I would get used to it). If you can't do little or no bezels right, don't do it.
bezels are kinda necessary... But they do not need to be as big as the ones on the pixel or iPhones

M3d10n

When you use ODIN prior to flashing/initiating the image, enter the phone's ODIN mode (symbol with an Android sign with the word : "Downloading" and "Do not turn off target!"). Traditionally that mode is activated by powering up the phone with the button combo (hold volume rocker down + home button + power), which is usually the inverse of the recovery button combo (volume rocker up + home button + power).

If that doesn't work, then you know it's time: https://youtu.be/4xup4OMYCvY

I did all that. Flashing from Odin mode, flashing from SD using recovery mode. They all complete without errors, but then when the phone reboots it's as if nothing happened.

Looking for the cheapest usable phone for her now. Found this 4" Alcatel that has good reviews and a selfie flash. Only 1GB RAM and 8GB storage, but it takes SD cards and actually ships with Marshmallow (unlike most budget Android phones which are either KitKat or Lollipop) so I can enable adopted storage.

OnePlus 3 or the Axon 7.

I have both phones right now and I can't decided which one to keep.

The One Plus 3 Pros:
Better Camera
Better software (lack of extra crap)
Better vibrate when used to click
Nav buttons backlit
Headphone jack on bottom

Axon 7
Better audio form speakers and headphone
Better battery life
Better Screen/color balance
Feels much better in hand/easier to use.
Like extra options like vibrate for all ring and notification as an option
microSD slot
FastCharge/more compatible
Easier to hold and hit the finger print sensor on the back.

I think if the cameras were even, I would go Axon7 all the way, but the OP3 seems to crush it? Any other opinions on these two phones?

Ty4on

The OP3 would be so much better with a 1440p AMOLED or 1080p LCD IMO. Poorly calibrated 1080p pentile is holding it back from truly having flagship specs.

wilflare

We don't know what they will do with the Pixel line, do we? It's obvious now that they're killing off the Nexus line, which would explain why they suddenly changed their update policy on Nexus devices.

I've read that it's confirmed that it's two years for the Pixel.

hitgirl

So would buying a 32GB Nexus 6P today for $449 be a dumb idea (I only buy new phones, don't like used much)? With the pixel backfire I'm not even sure if it will get a drop. I have my 5X now but would like a phone with a more premium feel and a larger screen. I'd also get a price protection from Best Buy.

Ty4on

It depends really. Some are recommending it while others are recommending other phones like the OP3 over it because of the 810.

I'm curious though regarding Nexus 6P owners, have you suffered burn in? If so how long did it take, how did it progress and where is it present? If you haven't then mention how long you've owned it.
I find it really hard to find concrete stuff about 6P burn in. Seems like navigation buttons are noticeable after ~1 year.

hitgirl

It depends really. Some are recommending it while others are recommending other phones like the OP3 over it because of the 810.

I'm curious though regarding Nexus 6P owners, have you suffered burn in? If so how long did it take, how did it progress and where is it present? If you haven't then mention how long you've owned it.
I find it really hard to find concrete stuff about 6P burn in. Seems like navigation buttons are noticeable after ~1 year.

I'd honestly get a OP3 right now if I was on T-MOBILE, but I am on Verizon. Right now I like what OP3 is doing. My friend had to RMA his phone and he had a new one in a bit over a week.

So right now my only option is 6P.

Ty4on

Kinda hope we see phones where we can choose what displays like we choose storage. I understand why people want AMOLED for content consumption and VR especially, but I want LCD because I view a lot of static content and value longevity, whites and brightness.

That may also silence the 1440p debate :p

RuGalz

Is there even any indications that it's better or worse than other devices with similar type of screen? They all seem pretty similar to me. I still prefer a good LCD over AMOLED. The colors on my 5x looks very accurate out of box which makes me very happy.

Screen is fine for me I don't see the issues really.

Apart from screen burn....hate AMOLED :/ both this and the N6P got the status bar stuff burned in...OP3 has it now too, doubt OP would replace it.

Can't you use the capacitive keys or does it not have that feature anymore?

e: "Status bar" is not "nav bar". Sorry.

Saiyan-Rox

Can't you use the capacitive keys or does it not have that feature anymore?

e: "Status bar" is not "nav bar". Sorry.

Yeah I don't use the on screen buttons for the screen burn stuff but the status bar (Wifi, Signal, time, Battery etc) on the other hand is still up there even when they're gone. most noticeable in blue backgrounds.

teiresias

Seems unprofessional that people are giving GPS issues a pass when reviewing phones.

What's this referencing? Which devices? One of my primary use-cases for my phones is constant use of Google Maps and Navigation so devices with wonky GPS are completely non-starter for me.

DrFurbs

I dint give two hoots what these new phones bring in terms of features. What's the fucking point if you need to turn off key features to make the thing last throughout the day?

Manufacturers need to step away from this groupthink mentality that's it's OK for end users to charge after one day of use.

https://postimg.org/image/ecpuzhxcn

OnePlus 3 or the Axon 7.

I have both phones right now and I can't decided which one to keep.

The One Plus 3 Pros:
Better Camera
Better software (lack of extra crap)
Better vibrate when used to click
Nav buttons backlit
Headphone jack on bottom

Axon 7
Better audio form speakers and headphone
Better battery life
Better Screen/color balance
Feels much better in hand/easier to use.
Like extra options like vibrate for all ring and notification as an option
microSD slot
FastCharge/more compatible
Easier to hold and hit the finger print sensor on the back.

I think if the cameras were even, I would go Axon7 all the way, but the OP3 seems to crush it? Any other opinions on these two phones?

Ugh, I had both as well and I couldn't stand the axon 7. I don't mind capacitive keys, but ones that don't even light up is a no no it just looks so ugly. Also I'm not a fan of the DPI the icons look too big for such a nice screen. Plus I wasn't a fan of their skin either, I wish I kept the OP3 instead of selling it for the Axon.

If you wanna get rid of your OP3 sell it to me.

Ty4on

what about the Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus, any comment or review yet?
I found this review:
https://youtu.be/JZngscgD68M

Good:
Fast storage and SoC
Bright display
Good battery life (I think, skimmed over it)

Bad:
Speaker not great
Camera disappointing in low light
Video stabilization lacking in 4K
Low video and audio bit rate (96kbit audio!) in video recording
4k video is 26fps?

So you whats the long game for Andromeda?

If google is merging both platforms, why fight to balance 3 simultaneously? The plans are for Andromeda to run on ARM, x86, and the like.... so will devices have a choice to run either of the 3 if necessary?

The plan is when Google bought Motorola, one of the stipulations was they had to keep the status quo for five years. That restriction ends sometime next year.

Android
Chrome
__eda__

are the Pixel phones the first ones to use the proper USB Power Delivery standard instead of other standards non-compliant methods of fast charging like Quick Charge, Adaptive Fast Charging, etc?

Top Bottom