• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Noema

Hmm, I wonder if I'll be able to transfer the photos from my S7 to my Nexus 10, and then upload them to Google Photos from there?

My guess is it'll work per account: if your Google account is used on a nexus it'll flag your Account and it'll give you unlimited original storage regardless of where you upload from.

Quasar

My guess is it'll work per account: if your Google account is used on a nexus it'll flag your Account and it'll give you unlimited original storage regardless of where you upload from.

That would be great. I dont really use my nexus for photos, but I have a lot of photos from my camera in raw that I havent backed up to google due to the existing limits for unlimited. That would seem like a loophole though that Google would not leave open.

clav

Hopefully the HTC camera setup is minimally as good as 5x/6p with this kind of pressure. The 820 should at least ensure its faster.

I think it still suffers the Android problem when another app uses the camera feature as it can't take advantage of optimizations/enhancements.

Have to use the proprietary camera app for best pictures.

Don't think the Nexus phones have this problem.

I think it still suffers the Android problem when another app uses the camera feature as it can't take advantage of optimizations/enhancements.

Have to use the proprietary camera app for best pictures.

Don't think the Nexus phones have this problem.

I usually just take the pictures first before sending. Alternatively LGs stock camera allows for sharing within the camera viewfinder.

VoxPop

Does the Blackberry Passport run Android apps? If so, how well? Am I gonna be struggling and dealing with lag with something as simple as Instagram or Snapchat?

Ty4on

Finally started reading the Anandtech review of the G5 and wow...
To make matters worse, LG continues to play games with the display's backlight when trying to adjust brightness manually. Just like the G3 and G4, the G5 includes an automatic dimming feature that slowly reduces brightness by about 15% over a period of 45 seconds.
OEM's ability to screw things up in software never ceases to amaze me. I prefer auto brightness, but there are times in the sun where I need to force max brightness in case shades or my finger occasionally cover the sensor.

this_guy

Maybe one day a Nexus will take a photo comparable to Apple and Samsung's best

This is a rhetorical statement, as long as Google uses the likes of LG and Huawei for Nexus it will never happen

I think the Nexus 6p and 5x are right there with the best smartphone cameras on the market. They take great low light pics, and really all smartphone cameras take good day time shots nowadays.

longdi

Banned
LG_G5-GPU-3DMark_Sling_Shot_3.1_Physics.png

LG_G5-System-DiscoMark_Hot.png

The Chinese SoC seems to be beasting it!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10217/the-lg-g5-review/7

clav

OEM's ability to screw things up in software never ceases to amaze me. I prefer auto brightness, but there are times in the sun where I need to force max brightness in case shades or my finger occasionally cover the sensor.

Think it's a problem of the hardware overheating.

A lot of times when people claim brighter screens, they overdrive the light intensity for marketing purposes. Common shortcut in the industry even outside of smartphones to claim product is different from competitor's.

Seems like LG did that dimming method to prevent the lights from burning out, so looks like an engineer did provide feedback.

When marketing makes engineering decisions.

LCDs can only go so far with LED backlighting.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

No doubt a heat issue. Even though I agree with you. It should work or it shouldn't be an option.

Ty4on

No doubt a heat issue. Even though I agree with you. It should work or it shouldn't be an option.
It's a separate feature from the old auto boost for sunlight.

It has auto boost brightness in auto mode. This just nerfes the manual brightness presumably to save battery.
It can sustain 310 nits, but if you select 310 nits it will slowly drop to 260. If it were overheating I'd expect the bottom graph to be flat when they started deviating because it had hit the max long term brightness.

Edit: LCDs are in general brighter than AMOLED. The iPhones can sustain just under 600 nits. 300 is really disappointing.

clav

One thing that stuck out on that review is it mentions G5 and G4 use the same main cameras.

Then LG locked a newer camera app behind the LG G5 for better color reproduction.

Tag it with a gimmicky fish bowl wide lens camera, and that's the LG G5.

Jigolo

It's a separate feature from the old auto boost for sunlight.

It has auto boost brightness in auto mode. This just nerfes the manual brightness presumably to save battery.

It can sustain 310 nits, but if you select 310 nits it will slowly drop to 260. If it were overheating I'd expect the bottom graph to be flat when they started deviating because it had hit the max long term brightness.

Edit: LCDs are in general brighter than AMOLED. The iPhones can sustain just under 600 nits. 300 is really disappointing.

It's funny because LG actually makes the iPhone 6 screens.

Ty4on

It's also sad because the G5 screen is in many ways really good. The contrast ratio is 1900.1 and the color reproduction is good (just calibrated wrong).

I love the LG display on my Nexus 4. Despite its age (and I'm guessing mediocre calibration) it's still a really bright and contrasty screen and outside of very dark places the blacks are as black as the bezels.

Opinions on the Moto X play and LG G4? I'm trying to gather a few phones that I'm interested in, in case further offers come about (around the £220 range max). The Z3C is just too small. How is the Z3?

Both are on offer quite a bit here. G4 is a flagship but there are instances of a bootloop with certain ones? Anyway of telling?

Also how badly does any LG bloatware slow down the phone?

Noema

Opinions on the Moto X play and LG G4? I'm trying to gather a few phones that I'm interested in, in case further offers come about (around the £220 range max). The Z3C is just too small. How is the Z3?

Both are on offer quite a bit here. G4 is a flagship but there are instances of a bootloop with certain ones? Anyway of telling?

Problem with the Moto X Play is that the SoC is kinda shitty. Really the only advantage it has is the huge 3600mAh battery.

Noema

It's pretty much the same as the Moto G4 isn't it? Do you mean in terms of absolute performance or in terms of overheating etc?

Yes. It's the same A53 core. The 617 is clocked about 5% higher and it's an 8 core chip compared to 4 cores on the 615. The 617 also supports Cat 7 LTE whereas the 615 has an older radio. GPU is a 405 adreno on both.

They are very very similar. They get the job done but don't expect a smooth performance.

I'd go for the G4. Faster SoC, more RAM, better camera. Smaller battery but it's replaceable so you can just Swap it out and you're good to go.

kharma45

G4 battery is diabolical. Good phone bar that.

You can get the N5X 32GB for £202

Grey import so I wouldn't bother when I went back to look

Yeah I found the site. Can't be doing with no warranty.

I'll weigh up getting it from Amazon Warehouse for £230, or £246 after a discount new. I was willing to drop £230 on the Moto G4 until the CPU issues were raised, yet I'm getting the second thought jitters over £16!

Cipherr

Great news!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36394558

Google has won a major US court battle with software firm Oracle after a jury ruled it did not unfairly appropriate parts of the Java programming language.

Oracle had argued that Google had infringed its copyright and had sought nearly $9bn (£6bn) in damages.

The outcome was eagerly awaited by software developers who feared that a victory for Oracle might encourage more such legal actions.

Bruh, FOSSpatents and Florian Mueller are still around, and still fucking hating:

Couldnt believe that when I saw it in my news feed. Im like, wtf, last time I heard anything from that guy was forever ago. Forgot that dude drew breath and he is still around shilling after all these years.

Actually impressed with Doze last night, never really get to see it in action due to poor signal at work and usually my phone is on charge overnight. Figured I'd just leave it unplugged as was fully charged already. 1% in 6 hours.

wwRkxlT.jpg

Noema

Actually impressed with Doze last night, never really get to see it in action due to poor signal at work and usually my phone is on charge overnight. Figured I'd just leave it unplugged as was fully charged already. 1% in 6 hours.

wwRkxlT.jpg

Doze always works pretty well on fresh installs.

It takes a couple of weeks of usage for it to get /androided and for wakelocks to pop up all over the place.

jetsetrez

Man, did they completely take out the option of having your Chrome tabs as separate instances in multitasking in Android N? I know a lot of people hated it, but I grew to find it much more efficient for how I use my phone, and I think the tab management is Chrome is cumbersome.

Saiyan-Rox

Man, did they completely take out the option of having your Chrome tabs as separate instances in multitasking in Android N? I know a lot of people hated it, but I grew to find it much more efficient for how I use my phone, and I think the tab management is Chrome is cumbersome.

it's been being removed from Chrome for a while now afaik on chrome beta on Marsh it's gone too so it looks like it's going the way of the dodo.

But I know what you mean I got really used to it and really liked it so going back to the old method is just too strange.

Bboy AJ

What are the odds of an Android phone launching with a Nvidia 1070/80?

Jigolo

wwRkxlT.jpg
Did you change the DPI by any chance? It looks good

Asgaro

Does DPI changing work well? Talking about pre-N. I read it depends on the used ROM and used apps?
Or are issues so rare I should definitely try it?
(Mostly interested in the ADB method.)

Due to Android N supporting DPI changes out of the box, I assume more and more apps are compatible with DPI changes already?

Noema

Does DPI changing work well? Talking about pre-N. I read it depends on the used ROM and used apps?
Or are issues so rare I should definitely try it?
(Mostly interested in the ADB method.)

Due to Android N supporting DPI changes out of the box, I assume more and more apps are compatible with DPI changes already?

I've tried the ADB method and it breaks certain things, specifically certain keyboards such as Swiftkey which won't display correctly. It's better to edit the system files directly via a file Explorer with root access.

Most apps scale pretty well. I've set my DPI to 498 on my nexus 6 running 6.0.1 and haven't run into any issues.

Depends on when Tegra is going to dominate phones. Must be soon, though. Any time now.

Nvidia has given on up phones, they figured out unlike Qualcomm that no one cares about a powerful GPU on a phone SoC and they had no competitive advantages in ARM CPUs. So they have noped the fuck outta there, it's all about cars and shit now.

Top Bottom