• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

clav

wonder what's holding them back from doing at least 4 years like Apple

Many Linux kernels don't have that long of a life span.

Qualcomm keeps certifying drivers that only work with these older kernels.

An industry wide problem in the Linux world.

Your home internet router is another common consumer item suffering from this problem.

Drivers start having issues when the kernel changes.

Here's a recent article on problems with Linux in today's world: http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/09/linux-kernel-security-needs-fixing/

Verizon.com: "Out with the Galaxy, in with the Pixel."

Screenshot_20161007-202053_zpstmpj6qbq.png

None of you should be using either of those apps anyway (unless you don't care about your privacy):

http://fortune.com/2016/09/22/google-allo-nope/

I like how this is such a big deal when people have been using Facebook messenger and hangouts for how long now.

Please tell me why would I not use duo when it's end-to-end encrypted?

Allo also has it as an option so what's the problem? If I want to discuss a criminal activity I just performed I will switch to allo's incognito mode.

Allo (in incognito) and duo are safer than using my carrier when it comes to privacy. This topic is 2 - 3 weeks old and one of your offered solutions (whats app) shares your info with Facebook.

It's hilarious how so many people on the web drooled over Google assistant at I/O (who probably use Google Now) were completely shocked that Google is logging the non incognito messages

How does one expect a chat bot that becomes your personal assistant to not know anything about you?

Google gets to sell better targetted ads and you geta digital assistant. Move on people...

Jeffrey

Youd think Google would eat the cost.

The amount of extra data they'd get out of customers through Google assistant should be worth a few hundred dollars imo.

Google pixel with offers. Kinda.

FFP2

It's so mindblowing that Samsung went from having one of the best smartphones of 2016 to possibly the biggest phone-related disaster in the most recent years.

Man I forgot how hot snapdragon 810 phones got. I don't think I'm gonna be able to handle this 6P. Guess I'll try a custom kernel to maybe keep it cooler.

diehard

Fleer
So i just upgraded from a Nexus 6 to an Axon 7, and im having a weird problem with SMS's. Every message i get ends with random characters after a tilde. So something like ~8bsKlwAXhgJ9Qg.

On Project Fi (was fine with just using T-Mobile) and migrated SMS's with Carbonite's migration tool.

Anyone have any idea what would cause this or anything suggestions on what to try?

zchen

I don't feel the need to upgrade my Xperia Z Ultra GPE yet, but is there any device with large screen on the horizon that I should look forward to?

Hasney

Man I forgot how hot snapdragon 810 phones got. I don't think I'm gonna be able to handle this 6P. Guess I'll try a custom kernel to maybe keep it cooler.

Mine doesnt get hot enough through the case and I'm on my 4th game of Hearthstone.

Maybe England has something to do with that though...

Pyrokai

So you know how when you tap on the microphone of the Google search bar, it makes a beep to let you know it's listening? And also when you cancel it it makes a different beep?

Well, ever since my Nexus 6P upgraded to Nougat, it no longer does this. Instead it vibrates. All my sound is turned on in and everything, but u can't figure out how to make it go back to that. I want the sound, not the vibration.

Where do I get that iphone transfer tool they showed off at the pixel conference?
this was like the coolest thing they kinda swept under the rug. Not cool because it lets you transfer but how the fuck does it work lol. I just mean from a technological standpoint....does the cable act as itunes somehow and distribute everything into the proper place. It pulls out imessages too right?

Crazy. Just wondering how it works on a software level.

Quixzlizx

this was like the coolest thing they kinda swept under the rug. Not cool because it lets you transfer but how the fuck does it work lol. I just mean from a technological standpoint....does the cable act as itunes somehow and distribute everything into the proper place. It pulls out imessages too right?

I wonder if it's possible for Apple to intentionally break it with an iOS update.

It's so mindblowing that Samsung went from having one of the best smartphones of 2016 to possibly the biggest phone-related disaster in the most recent years.
It's about to get worse. ATT is thinking about dropping the Note 7 all together, even the new new replacements.

I'd love to buy the Note 7 for a reduced price but don't trust that phone in my pants pocket after all this mess.

So you know how when you tap on the microphone of the Google search bar, it makes a beep to let you know it's listening? And also when you cancel it it makes a different beep?

Well, ever since my Nexus 6P upgraded to Nougat, it no longer does this. Instead it vibrates. All my sound is turned on in and everything, but u can't figure out how to make it go back to that. I want the sound, not the vibration.

The beep was removed in Marshmallow I believe. I miss it too.

I like how this is such a big deal when people have been using Facebook messenger and hangouts for how long now.

Please tell me why would I not use duo when it's end-to-end encrypted?

Allo also has it as an option so what's the problem? If I want to discuss a criminal activity I just performed I will switch to allo's incognito mode.

Allo (in incognito) and duo are safer than using my carrier when it comes to privacy. This topic is 2 - 3 weeks old and one of your offered solutions (whats app) shares your info with Facebook.
What are you talking about face book is all about priva-hahahaha

wilflare

it's not a new thing that started with the Pixel. Samsung has done this with their Smart Switch tool (works pretty well too!)

Zereta

Really tempted to switch from my iphone 6 to Pixel. I'm in college and basically all my friends use iMessage meaning I'm in so many different iMessage groups.

How does that work if I switch to Android?

(Never used an Android phone before)

taco543

Really tempted to switch from my iphone 6 to Pixel. I'm in college and basically all my friends use iMessage meaning I'm in so many different iMessage groups.

Right now easily anyways it's not possible, you can look up piemessage I thinks it's called there's a guy working on it and it's working currently but extremely early alpha stages.

NotBacon

No iMessage so you just have to stick with group texts.

Detox

If all your friends use imessage don't do it. It's not worth the hassle or headache.

Chris R

Do I need to download an app that allows me to transfer my texts from google Messenger from one phone to another? It seems like everything else transferred with no issue but my messages.

Top Bottom