• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

clav

to be fair, the Note7 was one of Samsung's most refined offerings in the recent years.
yes, it may still be riddled with bloatware but I would say there's still a fair bit of refinement and optimisation put into TouchWiz

most of the bloatware don't come installed either - it's a link that invites you to download the actual item from the Play Store (Google/Samsung).

yes there's still bloatware. yes they are still not at the stage we hope them to be - but there's definitely improvements

How do you know that without seeing code? Apps still close in background memory more often when compared to other Android devices. You see GAFers posting "speed" comparison threads with iPhone on multitasking and drive by posting laughing that Samsung = Android sucks.

Why are there two store fronts? I remember reading the apps link to Samsung's store, not Google's. On some Android phones, there can be up to 5 different app stores. Who likes this user experience? Unless users voluntary installed the software on their own, this action seems like shoving unnecessary software down users' throats.

I think nothing has changed aside from throwing more money at marketing by installing product display booths in popular retail spaces.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Need to buy mother in law new phone. I got her a Nexus 4 like four years ago and it was holding strong. But having her here traveling with us, I think she needs a new phone. I'm thinking a Blu? It just needs to work well and be cheap-ish. Or maybe a Robin?

She's on T-Mobile.

clav

A lot of BLU phones don't have proper LTE bands. Hence why they are cheap. Cheapest phone subsidized through (R1 HD) Amazon doesn't officially have Band 12 support, and no one knows if it'll even get it since Band 12 devices require certification through T-Mobile and costs money. If that's not important to you, then you can get one.

If you want a cheap phone that supports all US LTE + some International LTE bands, Moto G Play has it although its specs are dated (Moto G3/Galaxy S4 tier). Amazon subsidized has ads but locks the bootloader. An extra $50 disables them plus allows users to unlock bootloaders. Won't be long until those unlocked units get CM support.

Robin is OK, but I read 808s don't really last long for some reason. Even the Nexus 5X is getting a boot loop. Plus the Robin bends. Sale price is OK. Moto X Pure doesn't last.

Not a fan of the Moto G4 because the Snapdragon 61X series (610, 615, 617) have overheating issues, which is surprisingly underreported considering everyone yapped about the 810. Perhaps Qualcomm was willing to sell these chips at bargain prices? Seeing a lot of midrange Android phones using this chip.

I think I saw an iPhone 5S on sale for $194 at Best Buy with a $45 air time card. You can supposedly unlock it if you need it to use on other networks.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
A lot of BLU phones don't have proper LTE bands. Hence why they are cheap. Cheapest phone subsidized through (R1 HD) Amazon doesn't have Band 12 support, and no one knows if it'll even get it. If that's not important to you, then you can get one.

If you want a cheap phone that supports all US LTE + some International LTE bands, Moto G Play has it although its specs are dated (Moto G3/Galaxy S4 tier). Amazon subsidized has ads but locks the bootloader. An extra $50 disables them plus allows users to unlock bootloaders. Won't be long until those unlocked units get CM support.

Robin is OK, but I read 808s don't really last long for some reason. Even the Nexus 5X is getting a boot loop. Plus the Robin bends. Sale price is OK. Moto X Pure doesn't last.

Not a fan of the Moto G4 because the Snapdragon 61X series (610, 615, 617) have overheating issues, which is surprisingly underreported considering everyone yapped about the 810. Perhaps Qualcomm was willing to sell these chips at bargain prices? Seeing a lot of midrange Android phones using this chip.

I think I saw an iPhone 5S on sale for $194 at Best Buy with a $45 air time card. You can supposedly unlock it if you need it to use on other networks.
Thanks for this post. I'm not knowledgeable about less pricey models so this is good info. I have a 5X, too, and it works just fine for me. But with the Nextbit being so old, I worry about a successor releasing soon. Their Twitter seems to hint at one coming.

BLU phones are imported rebadged cheap phones from other regions. That's why they rarely have any US bands, and software support is nonexistent because it depends on the original vendor of the device in India or some place.

clav

BLU phones are imported rebadged cheap phones from other regions. That's why they rarely have any US bands, and software support is nonexistent because it depends on the original vendor of the device in India or some place.

Usually OK for 2G + 3G/HSPA. Bad for LTE bands.

They usually have 2 + 4, which is OK for T-Mobile standards (2, 4, 12), but terrible for AT&T (2, 4, 5, 7, 12, 17 [indicated by MFBI support], 29, 30). AT&T's 2G network shutting down next year means more spectrum for band 2 and 5. If phone can't support those bands with your subscribed network, then you should not buy phone.

Nikodemos

Robin is OK, but I read 808s don't really last long for some reason.
Heat stress, maybe. Rumour has it that the 808 did not receive the same heavy-handed thermal throttling logic as the 810, meaning that, ironically, the worse chip would last longer.

Yeah, the HTC A9 we have at work gets oddly toasty for a mid-range. Though I personally don't consider single-channel SoCs to be midrange; low-mid at most.
Qualcomm have always discounted what they consider low-end chips. That's why the SD400 was in every phone ~3-ish years ago. The reverse is that they demand a pretty penny for their high-tier offerings; I suspect that's why there aren't more phones with the 652.

clav

Heat stress, maybe. Rumour has it that the 808 did not receive the same heavy-handed thermal throttling logic as the 810, meaning that, ironically, the worse chip would last longer.

Heat is bad, too, as it wears out batteries. Hot chip. Hot again from quick charging.

Users are saying things like why is their 6P losing on-screen time after less than an year.

same thing for me. I've got the itch bad right now. i'd have already made the purchase if there was more of a clear cut winner in the axon 7 vs OP3 comparisons

I have had them both for a week. Switching back between the two. Axon 7 is a better value for sure, and I love the space grey color. I am leaning OP3, but I still can't decided which one to keep.

The One Plus 3 Pros:
Better Camera
Better software (lack of extra crap)
Better vibrate when used to click
Nav buttons backlit
Headphone jack on bottom

Axon 7
Better audio form speakers and headphone
Better battery life
Better Screen/color balance
Feels much better in hand/easier to use.
Like extra options like vibrate for all ring and notification as an option
microSD slot
FastCharge/more compatible
Easier to hold and hit the finger print sensor on the back.

I think if the cameras were even, I would go Axon7 all the way, but the OP3 seems to crush it.

Bboy AJ

Klering says Samsung asked for the phone, but he declined. He did accept the request from Samsung that it be X-rayed. In the oddest twist of any incident yet, Klering then produced a text message he says was from Samsung that stated:

Just now got this. I can try and slow him down if we think it will matter, or we just let him do what he keeps threatening to do and see if he does it
Man, Samsung is awful. I hope this situation crushes them back to where they were when the Note line actually pushed tech boundaries instead of being a bigger Galaxy with a stylus.

Quixzlizx

Need to buy mother in law new phone. I got her a Nexus 4 like four years ago and it was holding strong. But having her here traveling with us, I think she needs a new phone. I'm thinking a Blu? It just needs to work well and be cheap-ish. Or maybe a Robin?

She's on T-Mobile.

A Blu would be perfect for that. Great battery life, too. Just don't expect any updates.

Ty4on

My S7 actually gets terribly hot. Probably worse than my old Z3+ did. But it does cool down quickly if I turn it off so meh.

The glass back probably doesn't help.
I know the bend tests aren't the most relevant, but ew ew ew at the fully plastic construction with cheap plastics. It makes the phones I remember from 2005~ look well constructed. It reminds me of cheap electronics with the motherboard screwed directly onto the plastic shell.

Bboy AJ

The glass back probably doesn't help.

I know the bend tests aren't the most relevant, but ew ew ew at the fully plastic construction with cheap plastics. It makes the phones I remember from 2005~ look well constructed. It reminds me of cheap electronics with the motherboard screwed directly onto the plastic shell.
The design of the Robin is the best part. It actually has personality. But boo if the materials mean poor construction.

Jzero

Can I get some camera app reccomendations from people who've actually tried out a few?

Honestly i think Google Camera is the best. I just take everything in HDR. A third party camera app isn't going to make your photos look any better if you don't know how to take photos. I bought the Manual Camera but it ended up being a hassle, might as well carry my DSLR with me.

I just edit everything on VSCO and i'm good.

Xisiqomelir

Honestly i think Google Camera is the best. I just take everything in HDR. A third party camera app isn't going to make your photos look any better if you don't know how to take photos. I bought the Manual Camera but it ended up being a hassle, might as well carry my DSLR with me.

I just edit everything on VSCO and i'm good.

I am enjoying that one and open camera very much.

Also sideloaded the Oppo apk

Jzero

This guy seems to be using the same process as me. Takes pictures with Google Camera on the Nexus 6P and edits in VSCO. He obviously has a better eye for composition though.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=bElaQU1ySGVMUW5XM0dtd2cyWElpdFJGOFU0eVln
R49J-vLch7dO6xDGJRlIASTx3dv5ntsjogksHwNV-CkRUIZkW28vhK1qpsiZ2MVAmLU-_j6ZpUavAz5_VpIBu-HV6sZMPEOsBn_pGsQGXsm6phYoLCuYKJO3G2x1P9xfG_uwrZWuPEW-l_L9mz6v5b6n6WnSCRINICJjLYhT-SRzR3RFQWTXrDP7MHYWA2mfOJ1z7NWIx9notvYLQHuo2sgyYeKj9TZS6kqMRoPvPKHXW-We3F67W6HhowCXA3bEp46K-NHNcTecGD9ne89UoTHj0Eyb2dIQ7-3bGPQuDnL31shBzl5RdfN6pYVPgviNNV1C3NLZ1R2M0OPawTLFfEpQwgKm-f2p8F2_1pv1XBDzfOvJath_xPR2j0905ZPRS-Nj6uusD5gdxGi5r5n9-ZY45YlaN0MqF7tn319kHFWnamcorEgouXzVYFrWz3Fhtk091efMnd7udMo7Z7CBMyFOrUevFBvTnZu3149Yxd6FHpU-p8BJihhGeWR8zu0WLGc4V9HKjFxsn8FQFnEGFw1CXr-_MmLe2RfN773jD1_KYxWI6zXPnIxhL5awvtrkJfF8ApDOIQKBZvzYNTh3DXSAjyfh2ePw-zop3zjx9c_KXBfB-A=w1278-h521-no

Saiyan-Rox

The design of the Robin is the best part. It actually has personality. But boo if the materials mean poor construction.

i'd totally get a robin to try out if it was possible to get them on the sale price that they're so often on over your neckl of the woods :(

I have had them both for a week. Switching back between the two. Axon 7 is a better value for sure, and I love the space grey color. I am leaning OP3, but I still can't decided which one to keep.

I don't have any complaints about the Axon 7 software. They also updated the phone recently and even added a feature that alerts you via notification to high battery usage apps.

She's on T-Mobile.

Honor 5X?

this_guy

Honor 6x will be announced soon to replace the Honor 5x. Should use the SD 625, same processor as the Moto Z Play that has the best battery life ever (but that phone also has a pretty big battery).

wilflare

How do you know that without seeing code? Apps still close in background memory more often when compared to other Android devices. You see GAFers posting "speed" comparison threads with iPhone on multitasking and drive by posting laughing that Samsung = Android sucks.

Why are there two store fronts? I remember reading the apps link to Samsung's store, not Google's. On some Android phones, there can be up to 5 different app stores. Who likes this user experience? Unless users voluntary installed the software on their own, this action seems like shoving unnecessary software down users' throats.

I think nothing has changed aside from throwing more money at marketing by installing product display booths in popular retail spaces.

I was using a Note3 before switching to a Nexus 6P
I helped set up my family members' Note5 and Note7 and noticed that things have improved from Note3.

It's still Touchwiz no doubt.
Some apps link to Google Play Store and ask you if you wanna download them (not download an update, but download the app. it's like a shortcut to download).
Having two store fronts on the same phone is annoying (that I agree) so this area definitely needs improvement.

But if you want to go into technical, evidence-based discussion, then I'm sorry I don't have anything to offer in that regard. My experience is largely anecdotal (and I understand how subjective that might be)

Saiyan-Rox

wondering if it's worth restoring my broken Nexus 4 (GF dropped it) Mainly as a little project to myself to restore it and as a "just incase" phone.

Looking at it though it's gonna cost about the same as buying a used one outright lol

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

She's on T-Mobile.

Nexus 5X?

It's gonna be a fine upgrade for her from the Nexus 4.

Jeffrey

wondering if it's worth restoring my broken Nexus 4 (GF dropped it) Mainly as a little project to myself to restore it and as a "just incase" phone.

Looking at it though it's gonna cost about the same as buying a used one outright lol

project phone maybe.

But keeping an old 'just in case' phone around is outdated thinking when you can just overnight some $60 blu phone from amazon!

Want to get a new phone but I can't get over the Pixel prices. I hear good things about the OP3 but it looks like there is a 3 week estimate for availability :(

Saiyan-Rox

project phone maybe.

But keeping an old 'just in case' phone around is outdated thinking when you can just overnight some $60 blu phone from amazon!

I'm just interested in trying to fix it I guess.

But you are true in the cheap phone thing.....hmmmmm

diaspora

I'm looking to upgrade my S6, and here's my options:
  • S7 Edge at $648 USD
  • HTC 10 at $622 USD
  • Google Pixel 32GB at $680 USD
  • Wait for the S8

The ability to expand storage makes it more of a toss-up between HTC and the S7 to me. Thoughts?

Toki767

• S7 Edge at $648 USD
  • HTC 10 at $622 USD

The ability to expand storage makes it more of a toss-up between HTC and the S7 to me. Thoughts?
The S7 Edge. Followed by the Pixel.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
  • S7 Edge at $648 USD
  • HTC 10 at $622 USD
  • Wait for the S8

I'd wait. The S6 is plenty powerful, and you the one big Android flagship without the 810 so you side step the heat.

I'd wait for 830 phones.

taco543

Going to be checking Swappa prices for Note 7's over the next few months while singing in my head "how low can you go".

I love benefiting off of others ignorance. The short lines at Chipotle were amazing after the E Coli scare.
Good luck, I just checked for the same reason, no longer listed for T-Mobile. Looks like even Swappa is starting to remove listings

All I know is, I still would love a reasonably priced Sony phone (like $650 at most for a flagship) that has a damn good camera and damn good performance. But I feel like it will either never happen or I will have to wait till next year (hopefully with an SD 830).

Top Bottom