• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

I'm looking to upgrade my S6, and here's my options:
  • S7 Edge at $648 USD
  • HTC 10 at $622 USD
  • Google Pixel 32GB at $680 USD
  • Wait for the S8

The ability to expand storage makes it more of a toss-up between HTC and the S7 to me. Thoughts?
pixel is the defacto android choice now imo

bezels and all

kaiyo

All I know is, I still would love a reasonably priced Sony phone (like $650 at most for a flagship) that has a damn good camera and damn good performance. But I feel like it will either never happen or I will have to wait till next year (hopefully with an SD 830).

Well, the XZ is pretty good, though $50 more than what you want it at.

diaspora

pixel is the defacto android choice now imo

bezels and all

At a higher price? Honestly, I dunno. It's in the running for the CPU and sensor, sure but the competition have OIS and expandable memory, and in one instance water proofing.

I'd wait. The S6 is plenty powerful, and you the one big Android flagship without the 810 so you side step the heat.

I'd wait for 830 phones.

This is a good option too- true. Which falls in line with waiting to see what an S8/ Note 8 offers.

HawkeyeIC

New dialer for 7.1 is a big improvement for in call UI. Buttons were way too small previously. Interesting that it's somewhat translucent with the wallpaper.

Jeffrey

if money isn't the issue, pixel, or iphone.

If you want a galaxy, might as well wait a few more months to see what the s8 is offering, unless you get a hell of a deal.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pixel v iPhone. I hope it turns into something more than Galaxy or Nexus ever was. We'll all benefit.

• S7 Edge at $648 USD
  • HTC 10 at $622 USD
  • Wait for the S8

The ability to expand storage makes it more of a toss-up between HTC and the S7 to me. Thoughts?

s6 came out last year lol. It is fine powerful compared to this year. S7 edge would be my choice as I do not care about only pure software but overall value of the phone. Sd card, edge, water proofing and beautiful appearance is what I like in s7 edge. If you can wait obviously wait for s8.

Yeah the s6 is still a good phone so i dont see why upgrade so soon. I have an s5 and will probably upgrade to the s8 when it launches.

s6 came out last year lol. It is fine powerful compared to this year. S7 edge would be my choice as I do not care about only pure software but overall value of the phone. Sd card, edge, water proofing and beautiful appearance is what I like in s7 edge. If you can wait obviously wait for s8.

Just BC the S6 isn't super old yet and avoided the 810 doesn't mean it doesn't leave anything to be desired.

Battery life in the S6 has been subpar since day 1.

diehard

Fleer
So i just upgraded from a Nexus 6 to an Axon 7, and im having a weird problem with SMS's. Every message i get ends with random characters after a tilde. So something like ~8bsKlwAXhgJ9Qg.

On Project Fi (was fine with just using T-Mobile) and migrated SMS's with Carbonite's migration tool.

Anyone have any idea what would cause this or anything suggestions on what to try?

Nobody had any ideas on this? dammit its annoying.

Nobody had any ideas on this? dammit its annoying.

What would we be able to do? You are using an unsupported phone on Project Fi. Either buy a Project Fi compatible phone or leave Fi for Tmobile.

I don't know why you would choose an axon over the Pixel on project Fi anyway. You lost 2 of the 3 Fi carriers, free public wifi encryption, wifi calling, and customer support from the carrier. I would be surprised if your visual voicemail even worked.

Was this just a temporary thing to get you to a different phone?

Man, I should've bought a Note before they stopped selling them. I probably could have gotten alot of free stuff from Samsung and a refund.

The Pixel phone app, keyboard, and calculator all installed fine on my 6P. Just waiting for them to get assistant working now.

diaspora

It's why I have waiting for the S8 as an option :p

diehard

Fleer
What would we be able to do? You are using an unsupported phone on Project Fi. Either buy a Project Fi compatible phone or leave Fi for Tmobile.

I don't know why you would choose an axon over the Pixel on project Fi anyway. You lost 2 of the 3 Fi carriers, free public wifi encryption, wifi calling, and customer support from the carrier. I would be surprised if your visual voicemail even worked.

Was this just a temporary thing to get you to a different phone?

Because i didnt want to pay a $300 tax for a Google Phone?

Everything works great other than a minor quirk.

I don't care about Wifi calling. I don't care about Sprint, and its still cheaper than TMobile. I've never used customer support on any phone, or plan.. ever.

cLOUDo

• S7 Edge at $648 USD
  • HTC 10 at $622 USD
  • Wait for the S8

the s6 is good enough, my opinion wait for the S8
after the Note's fiasco probably Samsung drop the price of the S8 or/and make it more atractive

Because i didnt want to pay a $300 tax for a Google Phone?

Everything works great other than a minor quirk.

I don't care about Wifi calling. I don't care about Sprint, and its still cheaper than TMobile. I've never used customer support on any phone, or plan.. ever.

Your text messages don't work right and you've came back here twice looking for help because you actually do need customer service and can't use it.

Doesnt sound like a minor quirk and doesn't sound like you never need customer support.

diehard

Fleer
Your text messages don't work right and you've came back here twice looking for help because you actually do need customer service and can't use it.

Doesnt sound like a minor quirk and doesn't sound like you never need customer support.

Hey man thanks for the help. Was truly awesome.

Just now seeing all those Pixel camera samples and damn they look great. It's nice to see Google taking this aspect seriously now. I'm glad the 6P/5x wasn't a one-off thing. They still need to add all those manual controls like LG and others though.

NotBacon

At a higher price? Honestly, I dunno. It's in the running for the CPU and sensor, sure but the competition have OIS and expandable memory, and in one instance water proofing.

If the camera ends up being as good as it seems it's going to be, you'll be saying OIS SHMOIS.

Jeffrey

Is there a way for Google photos to auto delete your photos off your phone once uploaded?

Otherwise 32 gb option still seems like a hassle to use.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Blegh, don't know what I want to do now. I was thinking of upgrading my G3 and was originally going to go with the V20, but I didn't realize it was going to have the same guts as the G5. So now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I should just get the G5 since it's pretty cheap used right now or if I should just wait for news on the G6, or if I should just suck it up and get the v20 anyway. The main thing I want is a device with a replacable battery, but something more like I have now where it's both extended (my current 2 are both like 8000 mah) and replaceable and the v20 fits that bill. But with it being the same specs and the fact that it might be a bit too big for my hands makes me wonder if it'll be worth it. I guess I'll check it out once it's in stores to see how it feels.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just now seeing all those Pixel camera samples and damn they look great. It's nice to see Google taking this aspect seriously now. I'm glad the 6P/5x wasn't a one-off thing. They still need to add all those manual controls like LG and others though.
Seriously now? Huh?

What time period am I in where people act like the premium build, camera quality of the 6P never existed? Where the Nexus 6 on carriers and premium price never existed?

Seriously now? Huh?

What time period am I in where people act like the premium build, camera quality of the 6P never existed? Where the Nexus 6 on carriers and premium price never existed?
Bruh, what are you talking about? I said I'm glad Google is taking photography seriously, and that it wasn't a one-off thing with last year's phones. What does that have to do with price and build quality?

Bboy AJ

Bruh, what are you talking about? I said I'm glad Google is taking photography seriously, and that it wasn't a one-off thing with last year's phones. What does that have to do with price and build quality?
The Nexus 6 was a good shooter with updates, too.

Just using your post as a platform for all the discussion about Pixel being some whole new world. Sorry if it seemed like I singled you out.

The Nexus 6 was a good shooter with updates, too.

Just using your post as a platform for all the discussion about Pixel being some whole new world. Sorry if it seemed like I singled you out.
It's all good, dude. I didn't know the N6 camera was considered good, which is why I brought up the 5x and 6p.

Top Bottom