• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Mindwipe

Dunno what to do now really. Not seeing any handsets that I want, and I'm beginning to have problems with my Z3 Compact's hardware failing.

I was about to accept running a Note 7 (that compacting shortcut is very handy). But that's shot. Well, burned at the stake. I may not have the time to wait, but what to go for? The Pixel's industrial design is terrible, and I'm really not likely to trust a new OEM to make hardware I can't take back to a store for a same day warranty replacement if it dies. The S7 Edge is bad to hold compared to the Note. The S8 isn't out soon enough. The V20 isn't even getting released as far as I can see. The Axon is backordered. Sony brought nothing. The One Plus has a crap screen (and I'm going to need the compacting shortcut on anything bigger than 4.6 inches). The iPhone 7 is ugly and runs iOS.

It's a bad year for phones. Heck, it's making me nostalgic for the 810 debacle.

Since Googy is bailing on the 6P, I don't see a need to stick with stock anymore, especially since my battery is utter crap now.

So, what ROM is the best, most updated? XDA is inscrutable with all the "OMEGA ALPHA KERNEL +3 OVERCLOCKED UNDERVOLTING EXTREME EDITION" descriptors.

tzare

if new notes had different batteries from the first ones.... it seems the problem may be elsewhere. I hope they find it , because right now, they seem clueless.

Do we know if it has affected both the snapdragon and exynos variants??

Mindwipe

if new notes had different batteries from the first ones.... it seems the problem may be elsewhere. I hope they find it , because right now, they seem clueless.

Do we know if it has affected both the snapdragon and exynos variants??

Not really. The majority are from Snapdragon territories.

There have been some reports in South Korea though, which would be Exynos. Samsung had knocked those back as fraudulent or erroneous previously, IIRC, but that might not be a trustworthy judgement at this point.

Dunno what to do now really. Not seeing any handsets that I want, and I'm beginning to have problems with my Z3 Compact's hardware failing.

I was about to accept running a Note 7 (that compacting shortcut is very handy). But that's shot. Well, burned at the stake. I may not have the time to wait, but what to go for? The Pixel's industrial design is terrible, and I'm really not likely to trust a new OEM to make hardware I can't take back to a store for a same day warranty replacement if it dies. The S7 Edge is bad to hold compared to the Note. The S8 isn't out soon enough. The V20 isn't even getting released as far as I can see. The Axon is backordered. Sony brought nothing. The One Plus has a crap screen (and I'm going to need the compacting shortcut on anything bigger than 4.6 inches). The iPhone 7 is ugly and runs iOS.

It's a bad year for phones. Heck, it's making me nostalgic for the 810 debacle.

I would get in line for an Axon 7 and just wait.

kaiyo

The only issue is, is that Sony phones never really drop much in price.

From what I experienced they drop pretty fast, they also release 2 phones a year which should speed up that process. However if it doesn't drop as fast as you say it is, that's good for resale value.

I can see it being priced $100 more than it should be but $200? lol
It will drop in price in a couple of months too.

To add if Sony did price the xz at $200 less ($499) when they release the Xp2 or Xz 2 they will have a hard time increasing the price back to ~$700, just look at the Pixel.

mackattk

Preordered the Moto Z play from best buy... now the wait. Really looking forward to that battery life. I don't really play many games on mobile anymore, so I am not too concerned about processing power.

tzare

Not really. The majority are from Snapdragon territories.

There have been some reports in South Korea though, which would be Exynos. Samsung had knocked those back as fraudulent or erroneous previously, IIRC, but that might not be a trustworthy judgement at this point.

interesting. So if issue is due to different factors, and not only the battery being faulty, that would make some sense since SD variants seem to run hotter than exynos. I wonder if we will ever know.

diaspora

If the camera ends up being as good as it seems it's going to be, you'll be saying OIS SHMOIS.

hhahahahahaha

But seriously, no. This would get you laughed out by photographers for a reason which is why I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not dumb enough to believe that.

I really wanna get an Honor 8 and give it a whirl especially at $350, but I don't want to end up liking it because the V20 is calling my name.

Buy the Honor 8 for $350, then wait a month or two and you may get a V20 for around the $480 you'd have left over if you bought the V20 outright.

Since Googy is bailing on the 6P, I don't see a need to stick with stock anymore, especially since my battery is utter crap now.

So, what ROM is the best, most updated? XDA is inscrutable with all the "OMEGA ALPHA KERNEL +3 OVERCLOCKED UNDERVOLTING EXTREME EDITION" descriptors.

Would like to know about this as well.

6P battery is doo doo.

clav

ESL clearly as e-mail doesn't address any of customer's concerns.

Perhaps it also sheds light how dysfunctional the company is.

1. Non-existent website about replacement information. Admits errors in the system. Tries to downplay them by stating company is starting to take actions to correct problems.

2. E-mails are sending wrong #s to customers. Fix is to use an original # (?) to begin repair process.

3. Company is dedicating a team to handle all recalls. On this mythical website, customers can choose to handle do an advanced exchange, which involves shipping out new phones to customers. Customers place their old phones in the new phone box container and ship them back to the company. Once company receives old phones and processes them, they will issue refunds.

4. Because this other team is handling recalls, whoever is replying has no idea what's going on and doesn't say anything about the order # in the customer's e-mail.

Jeffrey

At some point you'll just have to chargeback with the credit card company. I can't imagine most would be fine once you mention its a note 7.

maybe threaten to bring it to their bank or something lol.

CronoShot

Looks like GG5 scratches like the predecessors, so no need to worry about that spec.

For those wondering: https://youtube.com/watch?v=nOz4Kf5AL7Q

What I don't get is that on the previous test, the 3, 4, and 5 picks all scratched. If they all had the same material transfer problem then that would explain it, but then he took one of the same picks to an S7 edge and it didn't scratch that.

Apparently Corning provided him with the extra phone too, so it all seems a bit fishy to me.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I saw a Pixel commercial during a football game yesterday. If I didn't know better, I would assume that I could only use that phone with Verizon. I have no idea what prompted Google to do this carrier exclusivity bullshit.

RiP Note at least you went out with a bang

These jokes are not funny and I wish people would stop making them.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I totally got that itch for the Moto Z Play simply because of the epic battery life. But I'm getting more and more in love with my 6P so I'm fine 😎.

When will Android manufacturers push for 4000mah batteries? I suppose with 4k phones... Bleh

diaspora

I totally got that itch for the Moto Z Play simply because of the epic battery life. But I'm getting more and more in love with my 6P so I'm fine 😎.

When will Android manufacturers push for 4000mah batteries? I suppose with 4k phones... Bleh

Wouldn't be surprised if it was soon IMO. The S7 Edge was 3600 mAh right?

Jeffrey

once fat is hot again.

hitgirl

Haha, right the thread names are god awful on XDA. I've been loading custom roms for a year now and still can't make heads or tails of them. Stable that's come to mind -

CM 13 I've been running this for a good 8 months on my 5X, good rom.

Elemental X is good

Pure is good

Chrome is good

NotBacon

hhahahahahaha

But seriously, no. This would get you laughed out by photographers for a reason which is why I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not dumb enough to believe that.

If the camera ends up taking amazing pictures without OIS........ I would get laughed out by photographers.

Alright.

Edit: And I'll just leave this album here.

diaspora

If the camera ends up taking amazing pictures without OIS........ I would get laughed out by photographers.

Alright.

It won't because of physics. It's literally physically impossible for an EIS solution to match an OIS solution with the same sensor, software, and lens brightness. And no, that album doesn't help your point. Like, do I actually need to explain why the solution that necessitates less usable sensor space is worse than the solution that doesn't?

HawkeyeIC

So my firm just switched mobile e-mail and admin access from ActiveSync to MobileIron. Anyone else forced to use this? Based on play store reviews, I assume my battery is going to be complete shit going forward?

RuGalz

Alright.

Having OIS will let you take slightly longer shutter speed photos but I think Google is banking on keeping the shutter speed reasonable and blend multiple images to reduce noise and enhance fidelity (HDR+) in low-light which is a valid approach. I still would rather have both but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. EIS is only for video from the sound of it.

http://9to5google.com/2016/10/10/go...firms-that-eis-will-still-work-with-4k-video/

The photos in that album are most likely touched up by people who know how to do so. (i.e. my shitty N5 camera can take better pic than my wife's N6 in auto mode just because I know how to take it manually and edit it)

Got my coupon code from Verizon for the Daydream View over the weekend. Just need to wait until I activate the Pixel XL before I can claim the headset.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I don't know if I'm influenced by a placebo effect, but the Qualcomm optimized browser I'm using (Pyrope) is way faster than Firefox for android.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was soon IMO. The S7 Edge was 3600 mAh right?
I know that some Chinese phones have 4000mah batteries but they aren't from some of the more reputable brands like Huawei and others.

I don't know if I'm influenced by a placebo effect, but the Qualcomm optimized browser I'm using (Pyrope) is way faster than Firefox for android.

I know that some Chinese phones have 4000mah batteries but they aren't from some of the more reputable brands like Huawei and others.

I believe the Mate 8 had a 4000mah battery.

Anyway I think I'm going to pass on the Honor 8.

ArchAngel

Got my Spigen case today. Not THAT smaller than my 6P, but I finally want it filled with aluminium :D

Just looked up the SAR values for the Pixel and XL on the website of my provider and they seem to be great!
0,25W/KG for the XL, 0,33W/KG for the normal Pixel (international version!)

loled at the iPhone 7 entry for 1,238W/KG the Plus and 1,384W/KG for the normal one. Very high for an (i)phone :eek:

mackattk

So I sold my Axon 7. One of the features of it that I absolutely loved was the option for the when the alarm clock went off, it would announce the time. I have to wake up fairly early in the morning so I usually set 2-3 alarms so I can kind of snooze through one if I need to. When it announced what time it was I would know if I really needed to get up then or not or if I could wait a few more minutes. Does anyone know of an alarm clock app that has this functionality?

Jeffrey

So I sold my Axon 7. One of the features of it that I absolutely loved was the option for the when the alarm clock went off, it would announce the time. I have to wake up fairly early in the morning so I usually set 2-3 alarms so I can kind of snooze through one if I need to. When it announced what time it was I would know if I really needed to get up then or not or if I could wait a few more minutes. Does anyone know of an alarm clock app that has this functionality?

what did you replace your a7 with?

Top Bottom