• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

mackattk

Couldn't resist dat +10h of SOT? 😱

Yeah, really looking forward to it, along with the battery mod so I can get wireless charging again on my new phone. There were a few things that bothered me on the axon 7, nothing too major but just enough to push me for wanting a different phone. The cell signal was worse on t-mobile, the case situation was absolutely awful, and had a weird problem with the home button. It was totally my fault but the space bar was right above the home button and would constantly hit it without meaning to, exiting out of the app and sometimes losing what I wrote. It got annoying pretty fast.

Jeffrey

Couldn't resist dat +10h of SOT? 😱

is that actually legit though? I swear reviewers barely use their phones in a day lol.

Like when i 'heavy use' my phones, I have to charge them by 2-3pm regardless of specs. Even for phones that are praised for battery like the 6 plus.

I'm guessing the Z play will last me to the end of the workday, maybe.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
If my experience with my 6P wasn't extremely positive, I too would have potentially sent my phone back for the Z Play lol. I did loved my original Moto X but it started to feel out of date.

is that actually legit though? I swear reviewers barely use their phones in a day lol.

Like when i 'heavy use' my phones, I have to charge them by 2-3pm regardless of specs. Even for phones that are praised for battery like the 6 plus.

It's legit dude, a 3510mah battery, a snapdragon 625 and a 1080p screen will give you a battery that is balls deep in screen on time.

Jeffrey

It's legit dude, a 3510mah battery, a snapdragon 625 and a 1080p screen will give you a battery that is balls deep in screen on time.

well to be fair, I do game a bit at work which is probably the biggest battery drain, I doubt i'd do that on a SD625...

so it probably will last me all day!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english

I've read impressions everywhere on the web and its true. It's between 8 to 12 hrs of SOT. Some people are even fucking pissed because they've been trying to kill their phone's battery through a single day but couldn't!

Edit: correction, some people are hitting 14h of SOT o_O

mackattk

Yeah don't get me wrong, the axon 7 was a killer phone and had a ton of features that were great. Just the few small quirks was enough for me to pay the extra cash for the z play.

I have always gotten 3-4 hours of screen on time on all my phones that I can remember. I'm expecting between 7-9 for the z play... will see how it goes.

Thanks, now who here has an Honor 8? Thoughts? Impressions?

I had one.

fast as fuck with an old GPU that is only noticeable is you play graphic intensive games.

great battery life

nice screen

good form factor and build

good display

fingerprint scanner fast

one of my favorite phones of the year

if you want stock Android.. stay away

taco543

teiresias

Gonna wait and see if Pixel feedback makes me want to spring for it, but I'm still leaning towards a OP3, but the Moto Z Play, with it's promised battery life, is really seeming interesting to me. I play absolutely no graphically intensive games on my phones and have no interest in mobile-based VR, so Daydream isn't a priority for me at all, but my nearly three year old N5's battery being on its last leg is really starting to annoy me. When I can't keep it plugged in I'm lucky to get like 2 hours of use out of the thing if I try do anything that involves SOT, so the seemingly amazing Z Play battery life seems great for my use case.

Thanks! I'm trying to do it, since the guy said you can do it without root, but it keeps telling me

I'm stuck I haven't adb'd anything since the htc evo 3d days.

I think you have to change file permissions o. That file ahead of time. There is feedback regarding it in the thread.

Jeffrey

I dropped my axon 7 a few times with the freebie cheap tpu case on with no damage.

You'd think cheap flagship chinese stuff would equal crappy build quality, but this thing is a tank.

might just be xiaomi?

taco543

I think you have to change file permissions o. That file ahead of time. There is feedback regarding it in the thread.

damn looks like I need to have twrp installed too... DAMNIT!!!!! lol

EDIT: Nvm the guy that figured it out is helping me on the forum! crossing my fingers, because I loved the integration of the assistant with allo

Cant wait for next week.

No one is going to give a shit about sd cards, wireless charging and water proofing when the Pixel reviews starting trickling in. Everyone is going to find out the Pixel phones offer a far smoother UI experience than any Android phone on the market.

Want iPhone level smoothness on Android then Pixel is your only option. Period

Don't forget to quote me if I'm wrong so I can eat crow.

diaspora

Cant wait for next week.

No one is going to give a shit about sd cards, wireless charging and water proofing when the *insert Google Phone here* reviews starting trickling in. Everyone is going to find out the *insert Google Phone here* phones offer a far smoother UI experience than any Android phone on the market.

Want iPhone level smoothness on Android then *insert Google Phone here* is your only option. Period

How much will it hurt knowing that Google will never surpass Android OEMs in popularity and mind share?

taco543

Cant wait for next week.

No one is going to give a shit about sd cards, wireless charging and water proofing when the Pixel reviews starting trickling in. Everyone is going to find out the Pixel phones offer a far smoother UI experience than any Android phone on the market.

I'm quoting because I'm actually on your side. Google gone cook in that secret sauce and get the most bang for that buck.

Cant wait for next week.

I'm with you. A lot of haters will be silenced.

Jeffrey

Hard to trust any reviews when $100 phones are often praised for having a 'smooth' ui.

everything is smooth!

I'm actually curious how the pixel will compare with the upcoming Mate 9.

huawei's been cooking their own magic recently with their kirin + custom android thing to the point that the honor 8 is beating pretty much every flagship phone in app load times and smoothness.

diaspora

Hard to trust any reviews when $100 phones are often praised for having a 'smooth' ui.

everything is smooth!

I'm actually curious how the pixel will compare with the upcoming Mate 9.

huawei's been cooking their own magic recently with their kirin + custom android thing to the point that the honor 8 is beating pretty much every flagship phone in app load times and smoothness.

Honor 8's performance looked surprisingly good- the TFT screen is upsetting though.

Cant wait for next week.

Nah, I would love to see this. No crow needs to be eaten. Android has so much potential and it is all the flavors running around that makes it loose its luster.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Cant wait for next week.

Every year we say Android is finally iOS smooth. Every year.

I hope we're right this time. It would be excellent. But I am unsure we will until Google really handles it all, hardware and software totally.

Every year we say Android is finally iOS smooth. Every year.

I hope we're right this time. It would be excellent. But I am unsure we will until Google really handles it all, hardware and software totally.

when people say iOS smooth i wonder if they actually use iOS because i do at work and that shit is just as janky as everything else.

Jeffrey

smoothness of the os is just one factor.

Android needs to solve the impossible problem of fragmentation aka app performance suffers in the mean time.

If pixel has the magic to get app load times to speed up without issues, and to get poorly optimized android games compare to their ios counterpart (cough, Final fantasy brave exvius) to run well without anything on the developers end....

fuck it, ill plop down $650 or w/e it costs to import from brexitville.

Top Bottom