• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Does DPI changing work well? Talking about pre-N. I read it depends on the used ROM and used apps?
Or are issues so rare I should definitely try it?
(Mostly interested in the ADB method.)

Due to Android N supporting DPI changes out of the box, I assume more and more apps are compatible with DPI changes already?
I've encountered zero issues by moving to small on N.

Jigolo

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10347/arm-cortex-a73-artemis-unveiled

Overall ARM’s decisions with the A73 make a lot of sense. ARM's big cores definitely needed to improve in terms of power and efficiency. A72 was a first step towards that goal and A73 further improves in that regard. In the future we should expect ARM to eventually again return to wider microarchitectures as we hit the wall of diminishing returns in terms of frequency scaling. HiSilicon's Kirin 950 was a game-changer in terms of perception and analysis of ARM’s microarchitectures as we finally have a vendor that was able to hit power figures near those that ARM publishes, lending the latter much more credibility when talking about efficiency goals.

All in all, I’m pretty happy with the direction ARM went with in the A73. It addresses a lot of the issues brought up in the introduction, and while more performance is always wanted, efficiency needed to be in focus this generation, and efficiency we got.

Very nice improvements

rc213

Damn that Asus ZenFone 3 Deluxe 6GB/64GB $479 820 Snapdragon 1080P looks nice.

Looks like none of the phones carry NFC from what I can see, Boo. Next!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Damn that Asus ZenFone 3 Deluxe 6GB/64GB $479 820 Snapdragon 1080P looks nice.

Looks like none of the phones carry NFC from what I can see, Boo. Next!
It'll look nice on Marshmallow for the next five years.

Asgaro

Sony best OEM 2016 confirmed
(At least in the software department. Their hardware department is a whole other story...)

Vug1Rng.png

Will report back when I get some Xperia Tips, but I don't expect anything us hardcore mobile peeps don't already know about...

Asgaro

I've tried the ADB method and it breaks certain things, specifically certain keyboards such as Swiftkey which won't display correctly. It's better to edit the system files directly via a file Explorer with root access.

Most apps scale pretty well. I've set my DPI to 498 on my nexus 6 running 6.0.1 and haven't run into any issues.

Alright, currently on 280 DPI through the ADB command. (Default one is 320) Everything works well so far and it looks all so SLICK.
Also made a post on the community for my ROM and no major issues reported: https://plus.google.com/+YenMertens/posts/BbaHoJTAibM

Even the Xperia Keyboard works fine (in contrast with e.g. SwiftKey).

edit: Currently on 260. A one-handed tablet. Amazing.

edit:
Side-by-side comparison of Relay For Reddit on DPI 300 - 280 - 260 - 240:

Bboy AJ

I just want a new Nexus 9. There are zero rumors to hold onto. I don't want the Pixel C :(

thenexus6

Where are playlists stored on android / SD card?

I have this playlists that just keeps on appearing on my music app even after I delete it. Not sure if its on the phone, sd card or the cloud.

I'm starting to believe the camp that thinks google will ditch android on tablets for chrome OS. The play store integration is extremely well done and chrome OS is on a way better update cycle. Also explains why pixel c was originally supposed to run chrome os. Maybe they thought the play store integration would be done.

I'm starting to believe the camp that thinks google will ditch android on tablets for chrome OS. The play store integration is extremely well done and chrome OS is on a way better update cycle. Also explains why pixel c was originally supposed to run chrome os. Maybe they thought the play store integration would be done.

That doesnt makes sense considering Google is spending how much energy on multiwindow on Android. Not to mention the free form window code found by Ars.

It's also giving all their developers a big fuck you after they just pitched multiwindow so much at IO.

clav

Majority of Chrome OS devices run on x86 processors. ARM Chrome OS was a disaster.

Jarrod38

Thinking of getting a new phone and narrowed it down to the Honor 5X and the Moto G 3rd Gen so what are the biggest difference between the two?

Noema

Thinking of getting a new phone and narrowed it down to the Honor 5X and the Moto G 3rd Gen so what are the biggest difference between the two?

The Honor 5x wipes the floor with the Moto G in every possible way.

More RAM, bigger battery, higher resolution display, faster CPU, better camera, finger print scanner. You name it.

Majority of Chrome OS devices run on x86 processors. ARM Chrome OS was a disaster.
all I know is android tablets are selling like garbage for the most part and chromebooks are going up (I just bought one too!! pics sooner or later when I get it!). Then again that's mostly due to education :p

Is that out now?
not yet but there's videos, check out this one to see how well it's integrated. That vid doesn't show but notifications are also baked in natively.

That doesnt makes sense considering Google is spending how much energy on multiwindow on Android. Not to mention the free form window code found by Ars.

It's also giving all their developers a big fuck you after they just pitched multiwindow so much at IO.
I wouldn't say google is spending a ton of energy into android, imo they've been moving at a pretty slow pace. Not that they need to move rapidly, the OS is pretty mature at this point but I mean when iOS beats you to multi window you know you're moving slow. I also get why they aren't beating themselves over it because it's not like anyone but a vast minority gets to actually use these features at a reasonable rate.

reKon

Banned
lol @ still buying Android tablets in the next year or so. A 360 hinge version of the HP chromebook 13 would be an instant buy for me. DO IT HP.

Sammy showing off 6GB RAM modules and 5.5" 4K "VR" screens...

some7hing's up

Rumors are the Note 6 will already have the 6 GB of RAM.

The other rumors are that Samsung has internally tested a Note 6 with curved Edge screen and regular flat screen but will only bring one variant to market. Don't fuck this up, Samsung. Note users don't want that Edge bullshit, much like how we didn't want non-expandable storage and only 64 GB of internal storage. We aren't into the gimmicks S series owners love.

tzare

Rumors are the Note 6 will already have the 6 GB of RAM.

The other rumors are that Samsung has internally tested a Note 6 with curved Edge screen and regular flat screen but will only bring one variant to market. Don't fuck this up, Samsung. Note users don't want that Edge bullshit, much like how we didn't want non-expandable storage and only 64 GB of internal storage. We aren't into the gimmicks S series owners love.

I hope samsung doesn't screw Note series. Leave experiments for the S edge series.
Oh, and please, include IR blaster. If i am going to leave my Note 4 behind i need the same features.

Saiyan-Rox

Form factor.

Zenpad is holding out. But this thing is the same today as it was months ago and as it will be years from now. I need dat N.

I always thought OEM were under some sort of deal that they must provide updates for at least a year can they really get away with having none?

The pixel is great though go grab one. The only issue I face is with N the keyboard can take a bit to reconnect to wake the tablet up its a bit annoying.

lol @ still buying Android tablets in the next year or so. A 360 hinge version of the HP chromebook 13 would be an instant buy for me. DO IT HP.
the hp chromebook 13 is actually the one I bought. Can't wait to get it , looks bootyful. Don't really care for a touchscreen so I didn't hold out for a touch version.

Sony just announced prices/dates for the X series in the US:

Model Release date Price
Xperia X June 26 $549.99
Xperia XA July 17 $279.99
Xperia X Performance July 17 $699.99
Xperia XA Ultra July 24 $369.99

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony...-for-the-new-Xperia-X-line-of-devices_id81646

The price for the Xperia X is just bonkers. It's essentially a mid-range or lower high-end phone (Snapdragon 650, 1080p display) for a flagship price.

The 650 (which was renamed from 620) is barely faster than the 808 and you can get 808 phones for a lot less these days.

reKon

Banned
Well there it is. It's like they ignore what every other company is doing at this point. With that kind of pricing and their lack of certain features. It was nice knowing you mobile division.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Not sold.

While Android apps run its all in a wrapper, and your still left with Chrome OS (which I like btw). Chrome OS UI isn't exactly optimized for touch. If I wanted to mainly use it as a tablet first device it seems like a downgrade.

It seems more like a boon to Chrome OS as a productivity extension for things you can't currently do in Chrome OS, but could do with an app.

At that point though I wonder why go Chrome OS in the first place. If you needed to do all of that other shit why not just OSX or Win.

i need some advice.

I shattered the screen on my nexus 6 64gb. Its 160 at least for me to buy a new screen and replace it all ( i have done this with nexus phones in the past). Has anyone here replaced their nexus 6 screen before?

Or i can switch to google fi and get the nexus 5 16gb for 200... i dont know what the better deal is.

in third place is getting a Honor 5x for 200.

tzare

How does the Galaxy Note 4 hold up performance-wise, has the upgrade to MM helped it at all?
It is smoother now on marshmallow for sure. Also a bit better when idle regarding battery life. Performance wise I'd say about the same but I do not play games on my note.
It has s pen features from note 5, but TW has no themes.
I doubt it will update to N though.

reKon

Banned
Not sold.

While Android apps run its all in a wrapper, and your still left with Chrome OS (which I like btw). Chrome OS UI isn't exactly optimized for touch. If I wanted to mainly use it as a tablet first device it seems like a downgrade.

It seems more like a boon to Chrome OS as a productivity extension for things you can't currently do in Chrome OS, but could do with an app.

At that point though I wonder why go Chrome OS in the first place. If you needed to do all of that other shit why not just OSX or Win.

I tried out the Asus Flip the other day and actually enjoyed using it. Using the touch screen in stand mode was very nice and easy. Being able to run Android apps is more big for gaming than anything else. For me, as long as I'm able to run the custom version of the PS4 remote play app, then I'm all good. My fear is that you would still have to use ARC welder for apks outside the Google page play store and remote play currently doesn't work this way.

The other great Android app that you would be able to run, outside of the productivity apps, is chrome remote desktop. Of course none of this will matter at all to me if I can confirm that I'd be able to dual boot Windows 10 and chrome OS on some of these new 2 on 1 devices in the future. I would only do this if I was certain that I wouldn't run into any issues later due to Google somehow restricting this. I'd be able to just use the windows version of remote play and still have access to Google OS, which would allow for some amazing battery lif, performance, and native support for Android games/apps.

Heh i'd love to know the reason why they leave out the scanner for the US

surely it can't be "because fuck you that's why"

They did the same with the Z5 series and it turned out that the scanner was disabled via firmware. Perhaps it's some patent or license issue and they don't want to pay up.

Reckoner

I would feel so premium spending all that money on a garbage spec phone. It would be insane. It's like they don't even want to have a market presence.

Top Bottom