• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

kaiyo

Same reason why Sony phones tend to get better battery life compared to LG/HTC ones of similar spec: lower res screens (and in some cases less memory, since that also eats battery power).
And also partly to software optimization, xperia has one of the lowest crash rates.

Sony-stable-smartphones-640x274.png

US price for the DTEK60 is finally revealed, it's $499.

Specs look pretty nice and screen resolution and size is the sweet spot for me. But I've never used a Blackberry before, is this something that you guys would recommend over the Axon 7 or Oneplus 3? Of course I'll wait for reviews but I just wanted to hear some quick thoughts if any about this phone.

Jeffrey

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/11/nyt-samsung-engineers-cant-replicate-galaxy-note-7-problems/

so no one knows why the note 7 is blowing up lol.

That... is not good. Hope the s8 won't somehow inherit its woes.

US price for the DTEK60 is finally revealed, it's $499.

Specs look pretty nice and screen resolution and size is the sweet spot for me. But I've never used a Blackberry before, is this something that you guys would recommend over the Axon 7 or Oneplus 3? Of course I'll wait for reviews but I just wanted to hear some quick thoughts if any about this phone.

there really hasn't be any reason to get a blackberry in years, probably since Bold?

spec wise I'm not seeing anything that makes it worth $100 more than the chinese stuff, unless you want better... security?

So AA put up there review for the Nubia Z11, and while I don't really care about the phone much, I really do like that side bezeless screen.

Nubia-Z11-Review-16-840x560.jpg

Basically samsung edge stuff with even less curve than the note 7. Hope more phones go this way.

tmac456

do they still make phones that don't use nano sims?

I swear ive been using the same nanosim since iphone 5.

not sure. I've got a micro sim in my LG G4

edit: enjoying the Axon 7 so far. only have used it for media capabilities since i need the new sim card. only thing i don't like is the non-lit buttons.
maybe it's because i'm not used to it? is there a chance that'll get addressed in an update or is it even possible to add something like that? it's my only gripe as of now

taco543

So AA put up there review for the Nubia Z11, and while I don't really care about the phone much, I really do like that side bezeless screen.

Basically samsung edge stuff with even less curve than the note 7. Hope more phones go this way.

I didn't know about that phone, it's gorgeous in my opinion and the specs aren't bad either. If the pricings right in the US I might pick one up as a weekend phone.

Jeffrey

not sure. I've got a micro sim in my LG G4

edit: enjoying the Axon 7 so far. only have used it for media capabilities since i need the new sim card. only thing i don't like is the non-lit buttons.
maybe it's because i'm not used to it? is there a chance that'll get addressed in an update or is it even possible to add something like that? it's my only gripe as of now

dont think anyone's cracked how to get on-screen buttons yet lol. It takes a day or 2 to get used to, and I still hit the wrong thing at night occasionally, but them being close together makes it easier to 1 hand.

Got Google Assistant and Pixel launcher installed on the 6P. Google assistant is slick. Camera app works now too with all benefits of Pixel such as faster camera shots.

tmac456

dont think anyone's cracked how to get on-screen buttons yet lol. It takes a day or 2 to get used to, and I still hit the wrong thing at night occasionally, but them being close together makes it easier to 1 hand.

i'm sure i'll get used to it. really nice phone, though. excited to fully use it tomorrow after a quick stop to AT&T

the downside of samsung being synonymous with android. Google must be face palming.

It's Google's own fault. They refuse to release a phone of their own with microSD, waterproofing, high resolution screen, camera with OIS, a unique design which doesn't look exactly like an iPhone, a stylus, etc.

Most of their decisions are based purely on ideology, they don't like microSD because reasons so fuck the people who want it. That's fine, no one will buy a Google phone then. Great work there, how's the ideology going for you now that you don't have Samsung to carry you?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Got Google Assistant and Pixel launcher installed on the 6P. Google assistant is slick. Camera app works now too with all benefits of Pixel such as faster camera shots.
Oh shit, the upgraded video stabilization also works :O

Tested it by walking slowly in my house and it works. Need to try it outdoor.

thuway

If the Note series returned back to what made it great: removable battery with an unlocked bootloader, I would be there day 0 and ready to fork out 800.

Saiyan-Rox

Funny how the camera app makes the 6P better....is it one of the apps thats gonna make it across?

Also whats up with all these chinese phones (except the OP3) having a round circle home button?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
i'm sure i'll get used to it. really nice phone, though. excited to fully use it tomorrow after a quick stop to AT&T

I'm loving it so far... Except that for some reason the OneNote app crashes on boot and won't load. I tried uninstalling and then installing it again and I haven't been able to get it working. Very weird problem to have. Can you guys try to install that app and see if it works for you? That's a very important app for me.

tzare

Im more than happy with my Axon 7. I hope more Samsung owners start looking at other android devices and don't just consider iphones. The key is for phone makers to make quality alternatives next year. I think HTC has it in them and maybe LG can get itself straightened out. I'm not sure if Motorola can gain attention beyond the hardcore android site user crowd. After that, its really up the Chinese to invade with well thought out products. The door is being held wide open for them to come in with their aluminum phones.
I wish zte or OnePlus go for better cameras next year. Other features are already there. I want to find a phone that improves my note 4 in all departments. Not just soc

Quixzlizx

It's Google's own fault. They refuse to release a phone of their own with microSD, waterproofing, high resolution screen, camera with OIS, a unique design which doesn't look exactly like an iPhone, a stylus, etc.

Most of their decisions are based purely on ideology, they don't like microSD because reasons so fuck the people who want it. That's fine, no one will buy a Google phone then. Great work there, how's the ideology going for you now that you don't have Samsung to carry you?

*cares deeply about SD cards*
*switches to iphone*

This has absolutely nothing to do with it. In the United States people don't even know or care that there are options besides a galaxy or iPhone. It's due to their laziness to ever explore outside of what's shoved down their throats in commercials or carrier stores. Advertisement works far better than you are realizing.

There are so many galaxy users that actually don't even know why they have a galaxy it's not even funny. Those same people will bounce to iPhones and it's certainly not BC of SD cards or waterproofing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well, I just smashed my Zenpad. Never happened to me before. I've never ever smashed a mobile device until literally 30 seconds ago.

Fuck. And there's no other tablets!

Well, I just smashed my Zenpad. Never happened to me before. I've never ever smashed a mobile device until literally 30 seconds ago.

Fuck. And there's no other tablets!

The Pixel C is hands down the best Android tablet ever released. I'm guessing it's too large or expensive for you.

Nothing has come close in performance or battery life.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
This is the Huawei Mate 9, in standard and curved screen designs

m9-930x509.jpg

Huawei is set to unveil its flagship phone for the second half of the year, the Mate 9, at an event in Munich, Germany on November 3. But according to two people familiar with the manufacturer’s plans, the company will actually show off two distinct body styles for the device that day, including one with a curved display.

Known internally by the New York-themed codenames Manhattan (pictured top row, above) and Long Island (pictured bottom row, above), the latter model features the dual-edge curved display, a la Samsung’s Edge-branded handsets (as well as its beleaguered Galaxy Note 7 phablet).

Long Island will boast the most premium specifications, and while neither person delved into a full feature-by-feature comparison, it was said to offer a QHD resolution (compared to Manhattan’s FHD) in order to support Android’s Daydream VR capabilities.

Furthermore, one of the people noted that the leaked renders of Manhattan currently circulating in various hues are slightly inaccurate in their depictions of the front of the device. That person claimed the render below more accurately represents its final appearance.

m9gold.jpg

#chinesesaviors

Jeffrey

with 1440p display, hope the gpu is decent this time.

These were the leaked prices

huawei-mate-9-price-leak.jpg

I assume the curved will add a bit more?

g0tm1lk

This is the Huawei Mate 9, in standard and curved screen designs

http://1u88jj3r4db2x4txp44yqfj1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/m9-930x509.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://1u88jj3r4db2x4txp44yqfj1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/m9gold.jpg/IMG]

#chinesesaviors[/QUOTE]
Sexy.

with 1440p display, hope the gpu is decent this time.

These were the leaked prices

huawei-mate-9-price-leak.jpg

I assume the curved will add a bit more?

It's a Mali gpu. It's shit (specially since Huawei doesn't add GPU cores like Samsung does, which leverages the shittyness of MALI gpus.)

wilflare

if only the Pixel looked like this - would have been perfect

llehuty

Not sure if this is the thread for it, but looks like you all will have the knowledge to provide an answer.

I'm looking for a new phone to replace my old one, which is starting to reboot by itself for no apparent reason again, after having to restore it 2 times since I got it 10 months ago. I must say that the phone costed me like 60€ with the newspaper (I know, lol). It's a miSmart Empire (which I'm assuming nobody in here has heard about it before)

Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade to a better phone. I was thinking of something in the 200€-300€ range. I'm quite careful with technology in general, so I would be open to spending more if that would mean that I get a good phone.

Anyway, here are the things that it should have:

Two SIM slots <--- This is essential
5" screen maximum
Decent-ish camera?
Some durability (I know the market is designed so that everyone has regular upgrades, but I don't see myself buying a new phone every year, I would get a 80-100€ if that's the case)

And that's pretty much it. I do some gaming on the phone, but it's really basic stuff. Decent battery life is a plus, although I don't tend to have problems with it.

I know most of you here are more into the high end phones, but maybe you have tried/heard of some medium range quality phones. It could also be an old phone, if it's still relatively easy to find. And I think this is pretty much it.

g0tm1lk

Damn, so what could this have gotten from me by installing? I uninstalled it last night? It couldn't get my google passwords right?

According to f-droid it does this:
Trojan:Android/Fakeinst malware appear to be installers for other applications; when executed however, the malware send SMS messages to premium-rate numbers or services
I didn't take a look but I doubt it had more malware in it.

Top Bottom