• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

teiresias

Honestly, I think I would prefer the AMOLED screen over the minor differences from 820 to 821.

I think the point is that they're having trouble keeping a steady supply of AMOLED screens, hence the trouble with keeping the phone itself in stock. The 821 is probably a fig leaf to those that would prefer AMOLED - though really, keep the 820 if the 821 is going to cause cost inflation.

Thanks Foxconn!
Dubbed Pork Explosion, the vulnerability is found in the bootloader of some devices. By sending a specific command, the device can be restarted in a "Factory Test Mode" with elevated privileges and reduced security. In this mode, SELinux is switched from 'enforcing' to 'disabled' and the adb daemon (the on-device service adb talks to) is automatically run as root and doesn't ask for authorization when unknown computers are attached.

Without the above safeguards, it's possible to do quite a bit to an Android device, regardless of the steps a user has taken to protect it. Lockscreens can be bypassed with an ADB command, the bootloader could be unlocked without wiping user data, and with a little bit of time, the encryption keys could be brute forced. Very little is off limits.

Critical vulnerability Pork Explosion revealed by jcase, cripples security on some phones

Ty4on

Good luck finding many Android oem doing more than 2 years at least you get security update for 3 with Google. Also two years with oems, plus, delayed updates meaning you might get one less major update in comparison.

Checked official Nougat updates reported and they go back like one generation from current. Why is this still such a big issue? TT

The iPhone 5 got iOS 10 FFS
For laughs I opened up Anandtech's review and see them comparing it to the GS3 and HTC One S...
I think the point is that they're having trouble keeping a steady supply of AMOLED screens, hence the trouble with keeping the phone itself in stock. The 821 is probably a fig leaf to those that would prefer AMOLED - though really, keep the 820 if the 821 is going to cause cost inflation.
Xiaomi didn't have an issue there. The Mi5 (820) and Mi5s (821) are priced the same.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Honestly, I think I would prefer the AMOLED screen over the minor differences from 820 to 821.

Same here. I have always liked the look of a amoled screens better than lcd.

As a tier 2 company they can't get enough supply unlike say Samsung or Google.

The whole point of switching to LCD is to fix the supply constraints.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is the same issue Axon is having.

That's why both phones are going on and out of stock all the time and various websites.

There just aren't as many amoled suppliers.

It also makes me wonder about the NX.

Nikodemos

Checked official Nougat updates reported and they go back like one generation from current. Why is this still such a big issue? TT
Qualcomm issue reportedly. From various Disqus comment logs, it appears there's a combination between the SD800/801 lacking a particular type of hardware encryptor demanded by Nougat (a 3rd party one was specifically added to the 805, partly by serendipitous mistake), and the Adreno 3## series not supporting the full Vulkan instruction set.

The oldest Qualcomm SoC to support Nougat is the 805. Basically, if it has a 300 series Adreno and/or a Krait (except the aforementioned 805) it's out.

As for the others, it's unknown. Samsung like to tinker with Android and bend it to their tastes, plus they run very tight cost-benefit calculations, so many devices are likely to be left in the dust, while the Chinese (specifically the ones with their own chips, like MediaTek and Huawei) have 'traditionally' had generally poor long-term firmware support (particularly MediaTek).

Noema

The good thing about the One Plus is that it's quickly becoming the de facto standard device for Android enthusiasts and tinkerers, so even if it doesn't get timely updates officially it's bound to have a plethora of stable custom ROMs and kernels available and thoroughly tested.

If you are into that sort of thing.

Ty4on

Qualcomm issue reportedly. From various Disqus comment logs, it appears there's a combination between the SD800/801 not having a particular type of hardware encryptor demanded by Nougat (a 3rd party one was specifically added to the 805, partly by serendipitous mistake), and the Adreno 3## series not supporting the full Vulkan instruction set.

The oldest Qualcomm SoC to support Nougat is the 805. Basically, if it has a 300 series Adreno and/or a Krait (except the aforementioned 805) it's out.
Oh, right, Vulkan certification.

Still find it weird they couldn't make do without, maybe a gimped version. I wonder how the encryption works on the nougat ROM for Nexus 4.

Nikodemos

Still find it weird they couldn't make do without, maybe a gimped version. I wonder how the encryption works on the nougat ROM for Nexus 4.
Google don't like releasing gimped versions of their OS, if only because it involves extra work between them and the OEMs, and, they'd rather not shoulder the entire financial burden of having their OS run smoothly on whatever jalopy powers an OEM phone.

Remember that none of the ROMs for non-standard devices (Marshmallow/Nougat for NX4, Nougat for NX5) are supported by Google. They have "use at risk" disclaimers. If Nougat doesn't run properly on your Nexus 5, Google will just collectively shrug their shoulders and go "Well, tough shit".

Protome

I've had my Xperia XZ since Monday and I have to say, its the best phone I've ever used. I ended up getting the black one and the material Sony uses for the back makes it look purple when light reflects off it, its a very pretty effect.

Mindwipe

Hmmm okay, thanks. I was hoping there would be something like TubeX. Maybe that's just different because it's on iOS?

Apple will pull TubeX the second Google notice it's there too. They always do.

(There's a slightly tenuous but still legally definitely valid argument that distribution of YouTube downloaders might be a criminal offense in the UK and many other European countries.)

RuGalz

Oh, right, Vulkan certification.

Nexus 9 doesn't support vulkan iirc, it's one of the exceptions. I skimmed over some of the changes they made to get Nougat working on N5 the gist is basically that Nougat uses tighter/different security measures and since older drivers aren't getting updated by Qualcomm they by pass those things. Not exactly a good thing if you care about security on the phone. While iPhone 5 got iOS 10 it's missing a lot of functions and is probably not running that great.
Fragmentation plus smaller volume in sales are definitely why longer support aren't warranted in Android land from OEM's perspective anyway.

kaiyo

I've had my Xperia XZ since Monday and I have to say, its the best phone I've ever used. I ended up getting the black one and the material Sony uses for the back makes it look purple when light reflects off it, its a very pretty effect.

Got my XZ yesterday, shipped from the UK. Didn't get hit with taxes, came with the free mdrx950bt headphones too.

The phone is really nice to hold. Fingerprint reader is really fast.

Anyone know a browser with quick/pie controls?

RuGalz

After a week with Nougat on N5x, the new doze is definitely a great improvement. My watch also gets about 15% better battery, not sure if it's related. Getting 3-4 hours sot for now, hopefully this phone will last me until Pixel 3, maybe there will be much more Google influence on the hardware by then.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Guess that rumor mill got too hot and they felt they had to comment on it.

What that doesn't say is how they plan on fixing their supply chain. They are losing sales by not having enough stock.

RuGalz

Anandtech finally reviewed Honor 8. Been waiting for a display accuracy measurement which is rather important for me personally, ouch, glad I picked 5x. We already know the rest.

Huawei_Honor_8-Display-GMB_Accuracy.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10678/the-huawei-honor-8-review

It's a crime that Android still doesn't have a proper color management built-in esp with fragmentation of hardware.

Nikodemos

G5 coming up last doesn't surprise me. The two at the office both look like they have that weird BBC Top Gear cold colours filter active.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Anyone try this app called notifly? Basically it adds chathead like features to any of your messaging apps. I just downloaded it and gonna give it a whirl.

Does it combine messages per "person" rather than per "app"? As in shows "Andy" then within 2 Inbox emails, 1 tweet and 3 G Messenger texts? I can't tell from the screenshots.

If you guys had to choose between a GS7 Edge on ATT for $400 or the Moto Z Play for $450 which would you take? I have the ability to buy a brand new GS7 Edge for $400 and i'm torn between these 2.

Does it combine messages per "person" rather than per "app"? As in shows "Andy" then within 2 Inbox emails, 1 tweet and 3 G Messenger texts? I can't tell from the screenshots.

Not sure. I really don't have a contact using more than 1 different messaging service to test it with.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
If you guys had to choose between a GS7 Edge on ATT for $400 or the Moto Z Play for $450 which would you take? I have the ability to buy a brand new GS7 Edge for $400 and i'm torn between these 2.

Depends, is the Edge a carrier model or unlocked?

Noema

The GS7 Edge is a no Brainer and I don't even like Samsung.

The Z Play has only one redeeming quality : its battery. It's hamstrung by its A53 powered SD625.

clav

Or would you consider the Edge design part of the problem, which is shared by the Note 7?

7 shows the screen coming out of the casing, possibly from the battery expanding. No fire though. Probably the same thing is happening with a sealed glass design.

Jeffrey

Or would you consider the Edge design part of the problem, which is shared by the Note 7?

7 shows the screen coming out of the casing, possibly from the battery expanding. No fire though. Probably the same thing is happening with a sealed glass design.
Was there any issues with past edge devices?

Samsung been doing those for a few years now.

clav

Was there any issues with past edge devices?

Samsung been doing those for a few years now.

I think the issue is when the battery expands from cell failure. There's no room for the battery to go, so the expansion will break through the display if possible. That's what that other poster said about the Iphone 7 news. Pic showed the LCD screen protruding out since Apple's design is somewhat serviceable (remove two screws and pull).

With a sealed phone, battery will ignite since the battery's casing punctures. You have to use a heatgun to remove the glass panels.

As much as I don't like this site, it finally reports a problem that I think has been the cause. Says the Galaxy S7 Active has the same issue. http://bgr.com/2016/10/12/note-7-recall-samsung-galaxy-s7-active-battery-swelling-burst/

Top Bottom