• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Mindwipe

Is there a YouTube app that can limit a video to playing just audio? And/or one that will play in the background?

Not one in the Play store, as both things are explicitly prohibited by YouTube's T&Cs (because the music labels would kill them if they permitted it), and Google doesn't tend to allow apps that break it's own services.

Jeffrey

Not sure if this is the thread for it, but looks like you all will have the knowledge to provide an answer.

I'm looking for a new phone to replace my old one, which is starting to reboot by itself for no apparent reason again, after having to restore it 2 times since I got it 10 months ago. I must say that the phone costed me like 60€ with the newspaper (I know, lol). It's a miSmart Empire (which I'm assuming nobody in here has heard about it before)

Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade to a better phone. I was thinking of something in the 200€-300€ range. I'm quite careful with technology in general, so I would be open to spending more if that would mean that I get a good phone.

Anyway, here are the things that it should have:

Two SIM slots <--- This is essential
5" screen maximum
Decent-ish camera?
Some durability (I know the market is designed so that everyone has regular upgrades, but I don't see myself buying a new phone every year, I would get a 80-100€ if that's the case)

And that's pretty much it. I do some gaming on the phone, but it's really basic stuff. Decent battery life is a plus, although I don't tend to have problems with it.

I know most of you here are more into the high end phones, but maybe you have tried/heard of some medium range quality phones. It could also be an old phone, if it's still relatively easy to find. And I think this is pretty much it.

hmmm you might want to look into the honor 8? Not too many options that fit all your bulletpoints, especially the screen size.

Might be out of your price range a bit though, but the honor 8 was just on sale for $350 in the US.

Not sure if this is the thread for it, but looks like you all will have the knowledge to provide an answer.

I'm looking for a new phone to replace my old one, which is starting to reboot by itself for no apparent reason again, after having to restore it 2 times since I got it 10 months ago. I must say that the phone costed me like 60€ with the newspaper (I know, lol). It's a miSmart Empire (which I'm assuming nobody in here has heard about it before)

Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade to a better phone. I was thinking of something in the 200€-300€ range. I'm quite careful with technology in general, so I would be open to spending more if that would mean that I get a good phone.

Anyway, here are the things that it should have:

Two SIM slots <--- This is essential
5" screen maximum
Decent-ish camera?
Some durability (I know the market is designed so that everyone has regular upgrades, but I don't see myself buying a new phone every year, I would get a 80-100€ if that's the case)

And that's pretty much it. I do some gaming on the phone, but it's really basic stuff. Decent battery life is a plus, although I don't tend to have problems with it.

I know most of you here are more into the high end phones, but maybe you have tried/heard of some medium range quality phones. It could also be an old phone, if it's still relatively easy to find. And I think this is pretty much it.

ZUK Z2

taco543

So I have a nexus 6p and I love the phone but am getting antsy to upgrade, anything I should be jumping on? I'm extremely tempted for the pixel xl, but I need to wait see what people are saying
definitely not because they're sold out on the 128gb xl.
and the other phone I had in mind was the v20 but I personally am not a fan of lgs UI, but the last lg I had was a v4 and that was for 2 months in between my Nexus 6 and 6p. So what's the must get phone? Personally fucking dread TouchWiz so Samsung's are out unless i root and install custom Roms and at that point it just needs to be a spec beast.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
So I have a nexus 6p and I love the phone but am getting antsy to upgrade, anything I should be jumping on? I'm extremely tempted for the pixel xl, but I need to wait see what people are saying
and the other phone I had in mind was the v20 but I personally am not a fan of lgs UI, but the last lg I had was a v4 and that was for 2 months in between my Nexus 6 and 6p. So what's the must get phone? Personally fucking dread TouchWiz so Samsung's are out unless i root and install custom Roms and at that point it just needs to be a spec beast.
I would consider the Moto Z Play.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Rumor Oneplus 3 version 2 incoming

Basically amoeld is fucking their supply chain up. So the rumor is LCD display and the 821 chip so they can fix their continuous backordered state with the current OP3

Tremendous.

"First and foremost, all operating system and security updates to the Pixel devices will happen in partnership with Google. In other words, when Google releases an update, Verizon phones will receive the same update at the same time (much like iOS updates). Verizon will not stand in the way of any major updates and users will get all updates at the same time as Google.

Also, the Verizon version of the Google Pixel is carrier unlocked, so you can use it where ever you like. Finally, we have three apps pre-installed on the phone Go90, My Verizon (which is your account management tool) and Verizon Messages (your messaging app). As you noted, all three can easily be uninstalled by the user."

All that hate and panic, and it was all for nothing.

Is there a YouTube app that can limit a video to playing just audio? And/or one that will play in the background?

If you download the Firefox browser you can actually start a YouTube video up(in the browser) and then turn the screen off or use another app or whatever and it will still play the audio.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
With a sd625? I want a snappy phone, battery time fortunately isn't an issue with me just because I'm always near a charger.
Other than high-end gaming (on mobile lol), the phone had been said to be very fast.

Tremendous.

All that hate and panic, and it was all for nothing.
it wasn't "for nothing", it was well warranted due to their history. who can forget the Verizon Button?

1837rgzz9r8w8jpg.jpg

Verizon has no chill.

comments section lol, people are like "i don't believe their lies" and "i want to see that in writing, maybe in their own blood"

g0tm1lk

Maybe wait for 7.1 on the 6P and see how things go?

taco543

Other than high-end gaming (on mobile lol), the phone had been said to be very fast.
See I don't game on mobile, but I do run multiple tasks at once, like ill be streaming music from Google play, be on chrome, and then leave it up to check my bank account, and then text people and I usually have a good habit of closing unused tasks but I'll have multiple up at once. I'm certain with 7.1 it'll be a great upgrade but part of me is just like, "Yo you should by that phone, cos why not?!"

llehuty

hmmm you might want to look into the honor 8? Not too many options that fit all your bulletpoints, especially the screen size.

Might be out of your price range a bit though, but the honor 8 was just on sale for $350 in the US.

Thanks for the replies, the Zuk Z2 is closer to what I was looking for in terms of price. Also, I never thought that the screen size would be a problem, is the trend now making bigger phones?

this_guy

See I don't game on mobile, but I do run multiple tasks at once, like ill be streaming music from Google play, be on chrome, and then leave it up to check my bank account, and then text people and I usually have a good habit of closing unused tasks but I'll have multiple up at once. I'm certain with 7.1 it'll be a great upgrade but part of me is just like, "Yo you should by that phone, cos why not?!"

I've also read the Moto Z Play can be sluggish when multitasking... i.e downloading/updating apps while using the phone.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/moto-z-play-1327411/review/2

In real life testing, we experienced slowdown when doing several things at once: downloading apps, receiving a backlog of notifications and trying to navigate the menus. True multitaskers, watch out. Everyone else will be fine.

The SD625 uses A53 cores, same cpu cores as on the previous low end chipset the SD410. It's on a smaller process now and shouldn't overheat but we know what the performance is.

taco543

I've also read the Moto Z Play can be sluggish when multitasking... i.e downloading/updating apps while using the phone.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/moto-z-play-1327411/review/2

The SD625 uses A53 cores, same cpu cores as on the previous low end chipset the SD410. It's on a smaller process now and shouldn't overheat but we know what the performance is.
Yeah see that would drive me bonkers lol. Cos at work we have a Bluetooth radio and I'll stream music to it while browsing GAF, and responding to texts or PM's on the PS message app and if it slows I'd go crazy

Having a bug with my OP3 with my car Bluetooth speakers. If I initiate a call, it will automatically unpair the device. I have to repair it again for it to work. It's fine when I accept calls or listen to music, but only unpairs when I start a call myself. Any ideas?

Jeffrey

with the rumors of 821 being expensive, wonder what the most they can charge for the OP3.5?

I'm thinking a 128gb option for $500?

I thought some rumors said the New OnePlus 3 Plus was going to have a 6inch display. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like $600 with 128GB of storage if that ends up being the case.

Jeffrey

$600 is gonna be kinda crazy lol.

its still cheaper than the competition but Oneplus came to fame with that $350 opo. nearly doubling that would be a bit hard to swallow, especially with what one would assume the oneplus 4 coming in half a yearish.

mackattk

Hopefully the slow down mostly only occurs while installing/updating apps. Everything that I have read about the Z Play is for day to day use there really isn't any lag. I should be getting one late next week so I will find out for myself.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
ZenPad 3s 10?

If the ZenPad 8 was the iPad mini, this is their ipad air attempt.
Too big for my preference. Also, I want a Nexus. But the Pixel C is not great. Too big and old.

Ty4on

I like A53 cores. They make 2012 handsets look competitive :p

A Nexus 4 got 12358.4ms in Kraken 1.1, Honor 5X got 12287.9ms in Anandtech's review.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ron Amadeo – Verified account &#8207;@RonAmadeo- Wow. Google chimes in: "OS updates will be updated on all Pixel devices (VZ and non-VZ versions) simultaneously

Google will probably wait for the Verizon certification of the update and then release to all Pixels. That is what Apple does with iPhones.

Noema

Basically amoeld is fucking their supply chain up. So the rumor is LCD display and the 821 chip so they can fix their continuous backordered state with the current OP3

Considering the worst part about the original OP3 was that grainy Pentile AMOLED panel, the LCD rumor makes it sound really really appealing.

Ty4on

If I could live with a big phone they'd be perfect.

How are OnePlus' updates? I know they lag behind, but do they update older models for long? Pissed me off Google only did 2 years.

Anno

Not one in the Play store, as both things are explicitly prohibited by YouTube's T&Cs (because the music labels would kill them if they permitted it), and Google doesn't tend to allow apps that break it's own services.

Youtube Red is the only thing that allows this legally anyway.

Hmmm okay, thanks. I was hoping there would be something like TubeX. Maybe that's just different because it's on iOS?

If you download the Firefox browser you can actually start a YouTube video up(in the browser) and then turn the screen off or use another app or whatever and it will still play the audio.

Interesting! That works for me. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

RuGalz

If I could live with a big phone they'd be perfect.

How are OnePlus' updates? I know they lag behind, but do they update older models for long? Pissed me off Google only did 2 years.

Good luck finding many Android oem doing more than 2 years at least you get security update for 3 with Google. Also two years with oems, plus, delayed updates meaning you might get one less major update in comparison.

Top Bottom