• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

I didn't think I was behind. It just seems weird they pushed out an OS update with no version number change of any type.

That's BC it's the monthly security update. They've been doing this for quite a while now. Updates don't require version number changes.

Also, the only way your going to fix that battery life is getting a phone without that piece of shit Qualcomm 808.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/14/upcoming-htc-bolt-leaked-5-5-inch-screen-no-headphone-jack/

nexus2cee_bolt_hero-930x828-728x648.jpg

Headphone jack? Who needs it /s

hitgirl

Hows the moto G4 Plus? Seems actually like the best 5.5" screen upgrade I'm looking for from my Nexus 5. I'm on Verizon. Will unlock bootloader and go with a custom rom.

kinggroin

Banned
Playing with the Pixel. Like it, but wouldn't upgrade over a 6P... maaaybe a 6.

Not feeling the big ass chin or mono speaker.

It's crazy fast though

HawkeyeIC

Playing with the Pixel. Like it, but wouldn't upgrade over a 6P... maaaybe a 6.

Not feeling the big ass chin or mono speaker.

It's crazy fast though

Camera?

I feel like that's most phones these days. As long as you're phone isn't more than a year old, it's probably fine.

kinggroin

Banned
Hows the moto G4 Plus? Seems actually like the best 5.5" screen upgrade I'm looking for from my Nexus 5. I'm on Verizon. Will unlock bootloader and go with a custom rom.

It's very nice. Feels great in-game, plenty bright, long lasting battery, and keeps a shit load of stuff in memory.

Not the snappiest phone, and the camera only really does well in manual mode, but otherwise it's great! No regrets with my purchase

Camera?

I feel like that's most phones these days. As long as you're phone isn't more than a year old, it's probably fine.

Perfect. Probably the best of any smartphone, easy. Leave it on Auto, and it's the closest to iPhone "just works" level of reliability and quality on the Android side (including the galaxy s7)

No weird lag after multiple HDR+ shots

hitgirl

It's very nice. Feels great in-game, plenty bright, long lasting battery, and keeps a shit load of stuff in memory.

Not the snappiest phone, and the camera only really does well in manual mode, but otherwise it's great! No regrets with my purchase

Perfect. Probably the best of any smartphone, easy. Leave it on Auto, and it's the closest to iPhone "just works" level of reliability and quality on the Android side (including the galaxy s7)

No weird lag after multiple HDR+ shots

Cool, I'm gonna get this. Think I will go with the regular model as I like the clean front without finger print reader.

how is the software in English? I heard there is problem with rom since the phone is never meant to go out of china? I usually do not care about updated but if there are bug fix or something do they come OTA? I have never rooted phone before.
It's good and there is an oficial indian rom with a better translation, and plenty of custom Roms. XDA and Zukfans.eu are alive and growing.
And yes, OTAs are fixing bugs and improving stuff. But, if you have the Chinese rom, you need to use a VPN to download the OTAs. If you have the Indian, you can download them normally.

Just thought of another disappointment with the Pixel for me personally...not water resistant like the s7 or the iPhone 7. This would be a non issue for me were I still living on the east coast but since I'm now in the PNW and it rains here pretty much everyday at this time of year it's a pretty desirable feature to have.

EDIT @Rox598 ^^ At this point in time I wouldn't. I'd at least wait for a sale if you are dead set on getting one since the OP3 is a solid device. No real reason to jump on right away plus gives it time to work out any bugs etc with the device.

The biggest reason why I don't own an iPhone right now. Just couldn't do it. They really didn't provide a compelling reason why you would want to give up that port for a proprietary port.

If this year's iPhone 7 Plus had the headphone jack, I would have bought it over the Pixel, despite me hating iOS and it's lack of freedom. The battery life and camera are that good.

Saiyan-Rox

Probably not. Ask yourself this: Why do you need to upgrade? If you can't find at least 3 legitimate answers, don't do it. That's what I usually do.

The software on it is the main reason I want to jump but the software support has been great on the OP3....Guess I answered my own question there didn't I.

Just wish the Rhino Shield I had on there with a skin didn't get stuck and damaged my phone getting it off. Also dropped it and scratched the top of the phone screen (not in the display thankfully just where the screen protector didn't cover) and damage really annoys me on my stuff.

Husker86

If I use Ok Google, and my watch "handles" it, my phone screen stays on, displaying an empty Google search screen. So much for not having to take your phone out of your pocket.

https://youtu.be/WOAkUf8wdHw

So Moto Z Play handles heavy games beautifully and doesn't produce too much heat. Its a humongous battery, a lag free experience and great gaming performance why would anyone not buy this phone?
Because it costs too much and is made by Motorola. Terrible customer service and we see how they are treating their flagship phone from last year the Moto X Pure. No definitive date on Nougat and if I recall correctly security updates have been few and far between.

Laekon

That's BC it's the monthly security update. They've been doing this for quite a while now. Updates don't require version number changes.

Also, the only way your going to fix that battery life is getting a phone without that piece of shit Qualcomm 808.

The security updates are named just that and I got it on Oct 5th. This was labeled as an OS update. Also my phone was fine before upgrading to 7.0 but that's just because I don't use it often.

The security updates are named just that and I got it on Oct 5th. This was labeled as an OS update. Also my phone was fine before upgrading to 7.0 but that's just because I don't use it often.

It was the October 5th security update... The next real OS update is 7.1 which leaves beta in December.

Not that Google doesn't stick software improvements in the security updates bc they certainly do.

Nexus 5x battery started taking a dive long before 7.0.

RuGalz

I wonder why people are getting such shitty battery life on 5x. Nougat has been great battery life for me. 4 hr SoT right now with 10% left which includes 1 hour of GPS navigation without being plugged in. Granted, this is fresh battery but still.

I'm looking for a phone for my mom, she currently has a really old Sony phone (I think it's a Txt Pro with a physical slideout keyboard).

She needs something small with a good battery life. I'm considering getting her a Robin, but how big is that phone? Also is the small OnePlus phone any good?

VoxPop

I'm looking for a phone for my mom, she currently has a really old Sony phone (I think it's a Txt Pro with a physical slideout keyboard).

She needs something small with a good battery life. I'm considering getting her a Robin, but how big is that phone? Also is the small OnePlus phone any good?

Don't do that to the woman who carried you for 9 months and gave you birth.

What's your budget?

don't get the Robin it isn't small nor good on battery.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So my Nexus 5X started rebooting randomly today. Like five times after a few minutes. Now it's just dead.

What the fuck? It's newer than my Nexus 6P, too.

General question regarding a replacement and upgrade I'm getting from Samsung (no, not to do with the Note 7 - my S4 mini's motherboard failed). Generally speaking, what are people's thoughts on the A5? I'm not sure if it'll be the 2015 or 2016 model, but wanted a sense of how it compares to what I had previously.

The Pixel isn't waterproof. Best to go for something like the s7 Edge.

But how many people are dropping their phones in water these days? Like it's a cute feature to have but I think we survived years without water issues being such the norm which it still isn't.

I'll never understand the overstating of this feature....like there's so much phones that never had water resistance or proofing but there are less people dropping their phones in water vs people who crack their screen which is definitely more of the norm. To each their own, but I'll never find water resistance that deep, especially when phones that aren't even certified still have a small bit of resistance that don't immediately mess up your phone.

TTOOLL

General question regarding a replacement and upgrade I'm getting from Samsung (no, not to do with the Note 7 - my S4 mini's motherboard failed). Generally speaking, what are people's thoughts on the A5? I'm not sure if it'll be the 2015 or 2016 model, but wanted a sense of how it compares to what I had previously.

The A5 2016 is nice. Metal and glass, fingerprint sensor, supports samsung pay...
I would consider the A7 too, because battery.

Top Bottom