• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

But how many people are dropping their phones in water these days? Like it's a cute feature to have but I think we survived years without water issues being such the norm which it still isn't.

I'll never understand the overstating of this feature....like there's so much phones that never had water resistance or proofing but there are less people dropping their phones in water vs people who crack their screen which is definitely more of the norm. To each their own, but I'll never find water resistance that deep, especially when phones that aren't even certified still have a small bit of resistance that don't immediately mess up your phone.

Let me help you out.

Waterproofing is a premium feature that is, more or less, a standard in 2016 flagship phones.

The Pixel is a 2016 flagship phone with a premium price, yet it does not have this feature.

And thus, people are upset that a premium phone with a premium price does not have a premium feature.

clav

So my Nexus 5X started rebooting randomly today. Like five times after a few minutes. Now it's just dead.

What the fuck? It's newer than my Nexus 6P, too.

I said.

Robin is OK, but I read 808s don't really last long for some reason. Even the Nexus 5X is getting a boot loop. Plus the Robin bends. Sale price is OK. Moto X Pure doesn't last..

Then you said.

I have a 5X, too, and it works just fine for me.

Seems LG doesn't know how to make flagship phones that don't boot loop.

Let me help you out.

Waterproofing is a premium feature that is, more or less, a standard in 2016 flagship phones.

The Pixel is a 2016 flagship phone with a premium price, yet it does not have this feature.

And thus, people are upset that a premium phone with a premium price does not have a premium feature.

Pretty much this. Apples commercials aren't helping either. My phones have gotten wet plenty of times over the years without issue.

The only thing I actually care about with water proofing is the ability to bring my phone into a pool without having to worry.

The Pixel phones are actually more resistant than the Nexus phones anyway.

The A5 2016 is nice. Metal and glass, fingerprint sensor, supports samsung pay...
I would consider the A7 too, because battery.

To clarify: That's what I'm getting via my warranty. So I don't get a choice because well, its free, but I wanted a sense of what they're giving me. Nifty little features though.

Let me help you out.

I know all of this lol.

But my point still stands as, many of premium phones with premium prices more or less did not have this feature and while it was a standard dating back from 2014, it wasn't that big of a deal until now .

Yes, this entirely has to do with Apple making their phones *resistant*, not even proofed, which people are making such a big claim for... but as a whole, water issues were never this big of a clamitiy until now.

Now I'm not giving Google a pass for not having this feature, but I don't get why this one thing is a bigger deal breaker. And again, many phones that are not certified as resistant can withstan a bit of resistance regardless. Are people just jumping into pools with there phones on a regular? Or taking a shower with them? I'm looking for the real life stats of this to really understand it.

And to add, I do understand that I am in some ways contradicting myself asking this question considering if these phones back then had it,
then Google's stance to not include it is even more ridiculous.. But, in terms of trying to understand why this one thing is largely a deal breaker, its what I just don't get. What really makes this truly, a deal breaker amongst other things like the software running right or getting on time updates, or having a good camera etc etc. I'm seeing people making exceptions on those just for waterproofing and it just doesn't make sense to me? I feel like it's way overstated.

Edit: Just removed my first half because it was just a wrong way to respond. I apologize.

dralla

Does MetroPCS get the same Android updates as TMobile since they're the same network? Meaning, if a phone is getting the Nougat update on TMobile, the MetroPCS version of the same phone will get the same?

this_guy

I know all of this lol.

But my point still stands as, many of premium phones with premium prices more or less did not have this feature and while it was a standard dating back from 2014, it wasn't that big of a deal until now .

Yes, this entirely has to do with Apple making their phones *resistant*, not even proofed, which people are making such a big claim for... but as a whole, water issues were never this big of a clamitiy until now.

Now I'm not giving Google a pass for not having this feature, but I don't get why this one thing is a bigger deal breaker. And again, many phones that are not certified as resistant can withstan a bit of resistance regardless. Are people just jumping into pools with there phones on a regular? Or taking a shower with them? I'm looking for the real life stats of this to really understand it.

And to add, I do understand that I am in some ways contradicting myself asking this question considering if these phones back then had it,
then Google's stance to not include it is even more ridiculous.. But, in terms of trying to understand why this one thing is largely a deal breaker, its what I just don't get. What really makes this truly, a deal breaker amongst other things like the software running right or getting on time updates, or having a good camera etc etc. I'm seeing people making exceptions on those just for waterproofing and it just doesn't make sense to me? I feel like it's way overstated.

Edit: Just removed my first half because it was just a wrong way to respond. I apologize.

It's because the Pixel is competing against 2016 flagships that do have that feature. It's not competing against 2014 flagships.

What price should the pixel have come in at? $100 less?

People seem to forget the 24/7 remote support, the unlimited photo/video uploads, the snapdragon 821 and the high end NAND the phone comes with.

Google also couldn't start it lower because then it would have lost sales due to the general population thinking its a lesser quality phone. You can really blame your fellow consumers for the price more than anything.

It came in the exact price it should have.

People seem to forget the 24/7 remote support, the unlimited photo/video uploads, the snapdragon 821 and the high end NAND the phone comes with.

Google also couldn't start it lower because then it would have lost sales due to the general population thinking its a lesser quality phone. You can really blame your fellow consumers for the price more than anything.

It came in the exact price it should have.

I can agree with this 100%.

Now let me be a crappy customer for a second... Would wireless charging be too much to ask for?

The Pixel software wise alone is worth it's price tag only time will tell if others agree.

I can agree with this 100%.

Now let me be a crappy customer for a second... Would wireless charging be too much to ask for?

The Pixel software wise alone is worth it's price tag only time will tell if others agree.

I am currently on the Nexus 5 for another week or so and that supports some sort of wireless charging, but I never used it. I never saw the need when I also charge my phone in other places such as my car and at my office. What do you do then, have wireless charging in all these different places as well? One place I tried to use wireless charging was Starbucks, but apparently my Nexus 5 wasn't compatible. Oh well...

I am currently on the Nexus 5 for another week or so and that supports some sort of wireless charging, but I never used it. I never saw the need when I also charge my phone in other places such as my car and at my office. What do you do then, have wireless charging in all these different places as well? One place I tried to use wireless charging was Starbucks, but apparently my Nexus 5 wasn't compatible. Oh well...

I have 3 wireless charging stations. one on my nightstand one at my workstation and one in the kitchen.

I never charge in my car and if I ever had a desk for my job there would be one there. I think it is one of those out of sight out of mind technologies that seems idiotic at first till you start to actually use it. It is a feature and as such if a company is selling a flagship phone it is a feature that costs next to nothing for them to add so why not?

Edit: I like the concept of waterproofing but that is something I won't boycott a phone purchase over.

Yeah, I have a wireless charging stand on my desk at work, being able to just pick it up and down easily without plugging and unplugging is so handy.

Yeah, I have a wireless charging stand on my desk at work, being able to just pick it up and down easily without plugging and unplugging is so handy.

I agree. They're pretty nifty, especially when you're out on long driving trips, etc. & if you don't happen to own a powerbank (which also helps for phones).

Speaking of which, does anyone know what's the best powerbank or a wireless charger for the s7 Edge?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why? it has a headphone jack...

Jokes aside the SE is a decent phone.
I don't use this phone. I have a 6P for myself. The SE is a nice phone.

Lg sucks. No problems with my 5x thankfully. Isn't Google going to replace it for free?
Yes, it's under warranty. But that's still some time without the phone. Probably at least two weeks. Total PITA. Also, I managed to revive it this morning. Just did the ol' "wait overnight and then try to revive it again" trick. It probably had the battery die last night then I tried holding the power button to resuscitate trick. It's back up and running after clearing cache through recovery.

Again, total stock 5X. Never tinkered or anything since I'm not the one using it. But after reading all those Reddit posts, I don't trust it. We'll use it until the SE gets in.

This is exactly why the nexus program had to end. The whole lets see if a manufacturer wants to design and manufacture a phone for us this year just doesn't work.

Google can improve every year going forward since they will actually have baselines and consistencies. And hopefully, less issues.

Finally.

This is exactly why the nexus program had to end. The whole lets see if a manufacturer wants to design and manufacture a phone for us this year just doesn't work.

Google can improve every year going forward since they will actually have baselines and consistencies. And hopefully, less issues.

Finally.

It's not going to happen over night. I could see decent reviews for this year's Pixel, next year they add some feature such as water proofing or OIS, then maybe the year after that they add the rumored homemade SOC much like Apple.

Edit: Anyone have any recommendations on a secure file erasing program for wiping my Nexus 5 and trying to sell it?

Jeffrey

man im glad i brought my iphone as well.

a US android phone is utterly useless in china without a VPN service. Easy to forget how much one's life is around google services.

wonder if google will sell the pixel in china?

tmac456

Enjoying my Axon 7 so far. Like others have said: Beautiful screen, fantastic audio, battery life is pretty solid. Haven't noticed any connection issues for calls or issues with LTE. Phone is pretty damn snappy. Haven't messed with the camera much yet, but I know that's the one drawback of the phone as of now.

Screenshot_2016-10-13-00-51-03.jpg

One question, though. How do I remove this from the notifications bar at the top? It's showing my SD card in the top left. Any way to get that off there?

It's not going to happen over night. I could see decent reviews for this year's Pixel, next year they add some feature such as water proofing or OIS, then maybe the year after that they add the rumored homemade SOC much like Apple.

Edit: Anyone have any recommendations on a secure file erasing program for wiping my Nexus 5 and trying to sell it?

Or they just drop the Pixel altogether for the all new Schmixel, good bye Allo app welcome "Oi, Mate" app... It's google, consistency is something they have to "ok, google" to figure what it is.

Jeffrey

Enjoying my Axon 7 so far. Like others have said: Beautiful screen, fantastic audio, battery life is pretty solid. Haven't noticed any connection issues for calls or issues with LTE. Phone is pretty damn snappy. Haven't messed with the camera much yet, but I know that's the one drawback of the phone as of now.

Screenshot_2016-10-13-00-51-03.jpg

One question, though. How do I remove this from the notifications bar at the top? It's showing my SD card in the top left. Any way to get that off there?

There should be a sdcard notification when you swipe down. Just dismiss it (swipe right)?

Ty4on

I got a Nokia wireless charger that's too small for my Nexus 4 to get a reliable charge -_-
If I'm lucky I can get 10-20% in a night. If I'm unlucky it'll drain from constantly waking up when connecting to the charger (and the bong-ing will keep me awake).

man im glad i brought my iphone as well.

a US android phone is utterly useless in china without a VPN service. Easy to forget how much one's life is around google services.

wonder if google will sell the pixel in china?

Seems like Google is going for India while Apple goes for China. Apple made the better play.

RuGalz

One has to wonder what kind of concessions Apple had to make to the Chinese government to be successful there. I'm sure we aren't told of everything.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
One has to wonder what kind of concessions Apple had to make to the Chinese government to be successful there. I'm sure we aren't told of everything.
Yeah, I'm sure there are some interesting conversations going on there.

tzare

General question regarding a replacement and upgrade I'm getting from Samsung (no, not to do with the Note 7 - my S4 mini's motherboard failed). Generally speaking, what are people's thoughts on the A5? I'm not sure if it'll be the 2015 or 2016 model, but wanted a sense of how it compares to what I had previously.
My wife owns A5 2016. Great screen and battery life for a mid range phone. Performance is similar to her former phone, Galaxy S4, and also has better camera and fast charging. Unless you play games it is a solid choice since it also has finger print scanner and supports Samsung pay.
P9 lite from Huawei is also an option, more RAM and better performance probably, but worse elsewhere compared to a5 2016.

tmac456

I don't have that icon and I use an SD card. Did you format it?

Also, could you please install and try to run OneNote? It crashes on boot for me and that's an app I use a ton.

There should be a sdcard notification when you swipe down. Just dismiss it (swipe right)?

Yeah I'm dumb. Needed to format it then it allowed me to swipe it away.

Just installed onenote and messed with it f or a minute. No crash

jokkir

Anyone have a Zuk Z2?

Looking into it to try out a cheap Chinese phone possibly to replace my Moto X Play. The specs seems incredible for the price.

Seems like Google is going for India while Apple goes for China. Apple made the better play.

That's debatable. No sacrifices are being made in India like Apple most likely does for China. There is a reason why Google is not in China. China just turned off iTunes on Apple randomly like what? A month ago?

^china is better market than india.
Anyone have a Zuk Z2?

Looking into it to try out a cheap Chinese phone possibly to replace my Moto X Play. The specs seems incredible for the price.
one page before we talked about it. it s very good. where are you buying it from?

Kjellson

How is the battery on OnePlus 3? I've heard it's both good and that it's trash. Kind of want some opinions on that before I decide to order it.

Top Bottom