• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jzero

That phone was so far ahead of its time. Just the form factor, ergonomics, and tiny bezels were perfect. Also great build quality, my 6 sill looks pristine while my 6P is all nicked up around the edges from normal use. Aluminum is a really shitty material to make phones out of.
It was honestly underrated. My old 6 that I sold my sister has a perfect screen while my 6p has permanent image retention. I miss those tiny bezels. It would have been perfect if it was as wide as the 6P.

Asgaro

I use an app, Energy Bar (a battery monitor), that permanently displays an overlay.

The dev made a post today, and there is a bit of new information in it regarding the system where Google doesn't allow a user to change the permissions when any overlay is detected at that moment.

I think Google's system is REALLY horrible. I always have to temporarily disable the same 3 apps which show overlays at all times (and which I do use btw) when I want to install an app or change its permissions.
I don't get how this got through: it's plain annoying.

It seems from this post though that
- developers can't even reproduce this in emulators! How can't they fix this then... Fuck Google.
- on top of that: it's not an explicit feature of Marshmallow. This behaviour only got added through a security update.
Why the fuck has this mess not been added in point release: if would be way easier to detect which users have this system and which haven't.
- this got fixed in Nougat (which my Z3C won't receive, rip, so I will have to live with this shit for 2 more years).

Hi everybody! I have a critical update here for Android Marshmallow users, any feedback would be appreciated!

The .apk attached with this post attempts to resolve the issue regarding 'Screen Overlay Detected'.

The problem:
On some Android Marshmallow devices, when you have installed a new App and the App requests you to grant certain permissions, you can't actually click allow/deny. And the system will pop-up a dialog whose title will read something like 'Screen Overlay Detected...'.

So, basically you will have to find and disable all Apps that are actively displaying a floating window on your screen. This could include Facebook's Chat Head, or a Screen filter App, or even Android's own pop-out notification at the top.

Naturally, everytime you want to grant/revoke permission to an App, you will have to manually disable Energy Bar as well.

The cause:
I have had Marshmallow on my device since a long time, and I have never faced this issue. The issue was made aware to me as many users reported on Play Store or via email and I have been puzzled. Because I can't resolve an issue which I can't reproduce on my device/emulator.

So, I did some research on the issue and am almost confident that the issue has been introduced since the July 2016(or any later ones) security patch for Android Marshmallow. I verified this on one of my friend's Nexus phone.

This new system wide restriction of having all floating App's disabled before a user can allow/deny a permission is put in place by Google, so that no App can overlay a different message on the permission dialog issued by the System. This wasn't required in previous Android versions because they didn't have this dynamic permission grant/revoke model and in Android 7.0, the system automatically disables all overlay Apps temporarily to avoid the 'Screen Overlay...' dialog.

I also found out that the issue is fixed on Android 7.0 with the system (so far, I verified that on an emulator running Android 7.0.)

The .apk update
This .apk explicitly attempts to resolve the above mentioned issue by auto disabling Energy Bar when you want to grant/revoke permission to/of an App. Other than that, this .apk offers no other new feature and it is supposed to have an effect only on Android Marshmallow.

If the fix works for you, I want some feedback on it's implementation. The current implementation makes Energy Bar super active, as it has to constantly keep an eye on the system, to provide cooperation as required (that is, auto-disable and enable when the permission dialog is dealt with by the user.) I don't expect it to have any significant impact on the battery but again it's ideally not desired for Energy Bar.

So, one alternate solution that will not require Energy Bar to constantly monitor system is: Anytime there is a pop-up dialog to allow/deny permission, Energy Bar will auto-disable and leave a notification in your notification bar. When you're done with permissions, you will have to click the notification to enable Energy Bar back.

Let me know your thoughts.

Also, if there is any Android 7.0 user out there, please let me know if you face any such issue (note: whether you use the latest .apk or this .apk, both will have same effect on the phone.)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=69164441&postcount=409

Mindwipe

It was a slightly cack handed attempt to stop an app creating a fake permissions overlay, with fake text over the dialogue box so the user agreed to permissions that were different to those described on the box.

That's a perfectly plausible attack tbh. I believe in Nougat it was re-engineered so devices can't overlay the box but that involved graphics engine changes, and thus the block isn't necessary.

It wasn't a bug though, it was rushed but valid security mitigation.

Asgaro

It was a slightly cack handed attempt to stop an app creating a fake permissions overlay, with fake text over the dialogue box so the user agreed to permissions that were different to those described on the box.

That's a perfectly plausible attack tbh. I believe in Nougat it was re-engineered so devices can't overlay the box but that involved graphics engine changes, and thus the block isn't necessary.

It wasn't a bug though, it was rushed but valid security mitigation.

I understand; it's just I hope they bring the Nougat implementation to Marshmallow then.
(Which they won't sadly. They don't care.)

No Love

Banned
I use an app, Energy Bar (a battery monitor), that permanently displays an overlay.

The dev made a post today, and there is a bit of new information in it regarding the system where Google doesn't allow a user to change the permissions when any overlay is detected at that moment.

I think Google's system is REALLY horrible. I always have to temporarily disable the same 3 apps which show overlays at all times (and which I do use btw) when I want to install an app or change its permissions.
I don't get how this got through: it's plain annoying.

It seems from this post though that
- developers can't even reproduce this in emulators! How can't they fix this then... Fuck Google.
- on top of that: it's not an explicit feature of Marshmallow. This behaviour only got added through a security update.
Why the fuck has this mess not been added in point release: if would be way easier to detect which users have this system and which haven't.
- this got fixed in Nougat (which my Z3C won't receive, rip, so I will have to live with this shit for 2 more years).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=69164441&postcount=409

Fucking hate this goddamn bug, it's happened to me a shitload of times. Bad Google, fucking bad.

Jeffrey

Seems like pixel phones are in the wild. Seems like a phone.

No mention of Google magic optimization in any of the impressions yet.

Furyous

Fucking hate this goddamn bug, it's happened to me a shitload of times. Bad Google, fucking bad.

^^^ Another reason to wait until Google gets shit right on the software end or an OEM gives you what you want out of a device before spending $500+ on a device that won't get OS updates after two years.

Where are the Pixel reviews? It's the 17th so that embargo should be lifted.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

^^^ Another reason to wait until Google gets shit right on the software end or an OEM gives you what you want out of a device before spending $500+ on a device that won't get OS updates after two years.
It's not a bug. It's a security feature and it makes sense.

Where are the Pixel reviews?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This is why I hate Google's release schedule. They are sooooooooooooooooo late in the year. Next year's chips already going into production.

Samsung

Samsung Electronics, a world leader in advanced semiconductor technology, today announced that it has commenced mass production of System-on-Chip (SoC) products with 10-nanometer (nm) FinFET technology for which would make it first in the industry.

Samsung’s new 10nm FinFET process (10LPE) adopts an advanced 3D transistor structure with additional enhancements in both process technology and design enablement compared to its 14nm predecessor, allowing up to 30-percent increase in area efficiency with 27-percent higher performance or 40-percent lower power consumption. In order to overcome scaling limitations, cutting edge techniques such as triple-patterning to allow bi-directional routing are also used to retain design and routing flexibility from prior nodes.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It'll be fine when they again copy Apple and make their own chips.

So the latest update that has removed sharing a screenshot by holding down the home/google button has really annoyed me. Can I roll it back? Is it an app, or OS?

Maybe a new way has been added that I don't know about? I don't want to have to take screen shots every time now!

Vanillalite

It's not hating. It's stating the obvious.

Google's current release schedule just doesn't work out well for them with regards to chip production.

When they make their own chips we can talk. They aren't now though. Hence the issue.

Mindwipe

So the latest update that has removed sharing a screenshot by holding down the home/google button has really annoyed me. Can I roll it back? Is it an app, or OS?

Maybe a new way has been added that I don't know about? I don't want to have to take screen shots every time now!

What device was this? It's not a stock feature.

Just tried it on my Nexus 6 running Nougat, and it still works just fine.

snacknuts

we all knew her
A week or two ago, someone posted a link to a gallery of really nice shots someone had taken with a Nexus 6P. I can't remember if it was in here or the Pixel event thread (it was not the 6P thread) and I am having trouble finding it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have a link available?

teiresias

Went ahead and preordered a Moto Z Play. I consider it a stop gap performance-wise coming from my Nexus 5, but as many times as my phone has died due to battery life while trying to fly over the past few months I've had it with battery life problems. The battery life will be a godsend for me this year. Case selection seems to suck right now though - unless Z Force cases fit the Play too?

It may get replaced next year with whatever the Pixel replacement is though.

NotBacon

Seems like pixel phones are in the wild. Seems like a phone.

No mention of Google magic optimization in any of the impressions yet.

Nope just a solid phone with top-tier camera, great battery life, great performance, no bloat, no glaring flaws, 24/7 remote support, and a headphone jack.

Who would want that?

Vanillalite

Android Headlines

Google Pixel Phones Are Now Showing as Delayed in the US

While the earlier pre-orders for both devices were expected start shipping from October 20th, now it appears that the majority of Pixel models are now either out of the stock or showing with 4-5 weeks of delayed shipping.

Thank God. Then the posts about bitching about Google only supporting devices for # years will finally stop. Since no one understands it's a Qualcomm issue.
Is it really a Qualcomm issue though? I thought the reasoning was that is it because Qualcomm doesn't support the chips anymore so manufacturers like Google can't update them further. If that is the case then why can developers on XDA port Nougat to the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5? It feels if developers on XDA can get support working with their limited resources and either small teams or simply one guy doing it than Google should have no issues with it.

Asgaro

hey lets bitch about an obvious security feature

morning fam

The point is that they should disable the relevant apps automatically and temporarily.
So that I have don't have to do the same repetitive Settings > Apps > Gear icon > Apps drawing on screen > Search and tick off 3 apps in a giant list > Install new app or modify permissions > Recents > Search and tick on 3 apps in a giant list. for every shit app

RuGalz

Is it really a Qualcomm issue though? I thought the reasoning was that is it because Qualcomm doesn't support the chips anymore so manufacturers like Google can't update them further. If that is the case then why can developers on XDA port Nougat to the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5? It feels if developers on XDA can get support working with their limited resources and either small teams or simply one guy doing it than Google should have no issues with it.

Because XDA port of Nougat is by-passing a bunch of permissions that are no longer given to the drivers probably due to security issues. The real fix for it would be for Qalcomm to update the drivers to work differently.

Vanillalite

Phandroid

Google is now showing out-of-stock or excessive backorder dates for all variants of the Pixel at their store.

The Pixel is showing 4-5 weeks of shipping time in all colors and storage options. Want the Pixel XL? You can’t even order it — join the waitlist and hope for an opportunity to find its way into your inbox soon.

I hope those that wanted a Pixel got their preorder in.

Phandroid

First Google phone I'm skipping since the Nexus S, and I feel perfectly OK about it. Easy skip year.

I'm excited for my Google Home to ship, though. I asked Alexa when's the Walking Dead premiere, and she practically burst into flames trying to figure it out (and ultimately failed).

Phandroid

Verizon still saying my black 128GB Pixel XL is either shipping or arriving on Thursday.

J7F1Zkl.png

YPPaOHf.png

084.png

Vanillalite

Verizon still saying my black 128GB Pixel XL is either shipping or arriving on Thursday.

You're probably good.

It doesn't appear wave 1 was delayed. It just appears if you didn't preorder and get in on wave 1 that Google won't have wave 2 for a month or more. YMMV on places like Amazon or Best Buy.

You're probably good.

It doesn't appear wave 1 was delayed. It just appears if you didn't preorder and get in on wave 1 that Google won't have wave 2 for a month or more. YMMV on places like Amazon or Best Buy.

UK Google Store looking OK - just ordered one, hope I don't regret it.

Edit: Scratch that, the XLs are showing, 'join waiting list', carphonewarehouse.com is showing, 'delivery by 26th November', on the XLs.
(I ordered a regular from the UK Google Store and it was fine though.)

The unboxing video I saw only had the following:

Phone
USB-C to USB-C cable (long like 6 feet)
USB-A to USB-C cable (around 3 feet)
Charger
Usual books and shit
Sim tool

That's it.

Saiyan-Rox

Do you need another charger? Another sim card eject tool? Where does it end?

No headphones in box. I posted an unboxing video yesterday and they aren't included.

The unboxing video I saw only had the following:

Phone
USB-C to USB-C cable (long like 6 feet)
USB-A to USB-C cable (around 3 feet)
Charger
Usual books and shit
Sim tool

That's it.

huh weird :S wonder why he got some.

still trying to figure out if OP3 to Pixel is worth...curse my habits

What device was this? It's not a stock feature.

Google Now on Tap allowed you to take screenshots by 'sharing' what's on screen.

Nexus 6P. I get so many more results for all kinds of search, the share button shares whatever Google has read off the screen and searched, rather than an image of the screen. It used to be so easy to send screen shots.
While poking for screen shots (with volume+power) for the first time, it had no search result, and shows the message on the right instead...tapping all over it does nothing, sooooooooo a bug?

Top Bottom