• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

tzare

Ever since the 8XX series started every year can be a skip year as basic tasks can be easily done from the 80(1) chip onward.

agree. Even midrangers will soon join the party if SD650 and similar SOC expand.

Only reason to upgrade so far would be specific features, like camera performance

Mindwipe

It asks on first sign in if you want to fully backup the phone to drive including SMS

So it's part of Play Services pulling from the OS repository?

Because that's *really* shitty of Google to make that a device exclusive when it could be rolled out to the entire ecosystem.

Hopefully that is short lived, and it's the first step to cross device notification and quick reply for SMS.

Also this is a great example of what a train wreck the announcement was.

I wonder if as a short term fix someone can reverse engineer the directory format, and produce an app that backs up all phones to Drive in the same way so said backups would seamlessly restore to Pixel devices.

Saiyan-Rox

So it's part of Play Services pulling from the OS repository?

Because that's *really* shitty of Google to make that a device exclusive when it could be rolled out to the entire ecosystem.

Hopefully that is short lived, and it's the first step to cross device notification and quick reply for SMS.

Also this is a great example of what a train wreck the announcement was.

I was messing arounf with my phone yesterday giving CM13 a try and for some reason it asked if I wanted to do it on there. I didn't notice it doing it though.

Why are Google still charging £399 for a 32gb Pixel C? Especially after their £299 "Developer Discount" (that anyone could use) a few months back.

It was pretty pricey on launch, one year later the price tag is a bit of a joke (especially with ipads now coming with 32gb as standard)

Or are they going to let it die a slow death just like the Nexus 10/9?

ArchAngel

Even after a year The Pixel C is still the best android tablet :)

The Nexus 9 was the worst piece of hardware. Just so bad it deserved an instand death.

Mindwipe

Why are Google still charging £399 for a 32gb Pixel C? Especially after their £299 "Developer Discount" (that anyone could use) a few months back.

It was pretty pricey on launch, one year later the price tag is a bit of a joke (especially with ipads now coming with 32gb as standard)

Or are they going to let it die a slow death just like the Nexus 10/9?

Yeah, they really should just cut the price to £299 now. It's a decent tablet at £250 to £300. It's not competitive at £399.

obin_gam

Today my Xperia X3 Compact started to drain its battery massively.
I checked what apps were on, but nothing weird there, then I checked the apps' battery status but only the android system took any significant power.
MLIRXgA.jpg
Anyone? Help? Pls?

Any Honor 8 owners here that can give me some info on how the audio is? Specifically through the headphone jack?

Also heard reports of bad bluetooth?

Using a OP3 right now but the camera in the H8 and smaller size might be worth switching.

this_guy

His reviews are pretty worthless now. He praises every phone. Maybe that means the NDA is up for all YouTubers though.

Agreed. I still watch him just because, but he doesn't offer any real insight.

His reviews have always been worthless. It's about the production value and he's a likable dude, but there's never been any substance to his videos.

Erica Griffin is where you go for quality in depth video reviews.

Erica Griffin is too boring. Spitting out benchmarks just doesn't work for me in her videos.

I like Michael Fisher (Mr. Mobile) and also the Pocketnow guys for their video reviews. I also like Pocketnow's in depth camera reviews.

more Samsung bloat.

Nah, it's from Google so that's called an "exclusive feature". Get that right.

It doesn't surprise me that the Pixel is hands down the best Android phone period as I expected. It ticks all the boxes I have ever wanted from Android and then some. Google did THAT. I hope they start bringing this to other carrier not just including AT&T.

Nikodemos

I checked what apps were on, but nothing weird there, then I checked the apps' battery status but only the android system took any significant power.
Anyone? Help? Pls?
I've noticed decreased battery life on my Z5 Compact as well. I think it was the latest software update (happened some time last week). Prior to that it was somewhat better.

It doesn't surprise me that the Pixel is hands down the best Android phone period as I expected. It ticks all the boxes I have ever wanted from Android and then some. Google did THAT. I hope they start bringing this to other carrier not just including AT&T.

They were idiots for doing carrier sale exclusive...nursing to copy apple all the way to original iPhone release. The software looks awesome though especially assistant.

reKon

Banned

what are those boxes? The Nexus 6P was a pretty strong phone at the time it came out? The only place where it lacked was battery life I think.

what are those boxes? The Nexus 6P was a pretty strong phone at the time it came out? The only place where it lacked was battery life I think.

Camera (Huge for me)
Fast/No Lag
Touch interface is much more defined
Better updates to Google Now (which is now the assistant so that's cool)
Better support + updates (the 24/7 CS support is something i've wanted but I never knew they would build into the phone)
Better Battery life (After Nougat, my 6P battery life has been worse. It shuts off as soon as battery saver mode comes on at 15% and I don't know what's going on)

The biggest one

A 100% Google Made Phone.

I jumped on the Nexus brand for direct Google support because I was tired of the skins and I love pure android. Jumped in on the Galaxy Nexus and every year the Nexus got better but just never where I wanted it to be until the 6P when the camera finally made a difference and the fingerprint scanner. My Nexus 6P has served me well, but I want the Pixel. This is the phone I have always wanted. I wanted Google to compete directly with the iPhone and I was tired of all phones coming very short of that goal. Now there are no compromises (unless you are a samsung fan who weighs sd cards, s-pen functionality, etc etc as compromises).

Shamelessly though, half of above doesn't matter because I can't help but to buy the latest and greatest and buying the newest Google phone was always on my list. I did it every year with the Nexus and still see the Pixel as the newest (Nexus re-branded) but now just made by Google directly.

Mindwipe

There's lots to like about the Pixel, but a lot of it is things that flat out should be in stock. And there are things missing from stock that need to be there badly - Samsung's one handed implementation is good. Legitimately good. This phone doesn't have one. It doesn't have a stylus solution. Daydream is ultimately behind the Gear in terms of existing software and sensors. The design is so, so blergh.

I just can't get behind it.

Paznos

Anyone? Help? Pls?

It's probably Google Photos, the latest update 2.2 is causing that and I'm having the same issue.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I like the Pixel, but it's boring as fuck. I like Ruddock's summation of the design:

I suppose the Pixel is uninteresting to look at in the way a 1990s Lexus is uninteresting to look at.

Anyway, I'll probably get one a bit later on.

co1onel

Battery life is a major thing I look for in reviews, and this one barely goes into any details on it.

It's "Stupendous" and with random usage they have 30% left at the end of the day. Is it better than the S7 Edge? Why didn't they also test the smaller Pixel (it's worse, but they give no indication of how much)?
Android Police says the battery is about on par with the s7 edge. MKBHD posted on twitter that he got 6 hours screen on time, and he uses max brightness, Bluetooth, GPS, etc. Battery life doesn't look amazing, but it looks good.

gsmarena_003.jpg

The LG V34 is a waterproof 5.2 inch version of the V20 exclusive to Japan. Guys and gals, LG hates money and doing sensible things LIKE FUCKING RELEASING THIS SHIT IN THE US.

This is the equivalent of HTC's 2010 smartphone release strategy that screwed them over for years. Yes, I'm mad that I have to import this. Yes, I am pissed off no international variant exists. Yes, LG is on some bullshit. Anyone looking at the G6 should give this a try.
The fuck? I know this will probably get overshadowed by the Pixel reviews, but this is pretty lame.

Assuming this keeps the replaceable battery, having waterproofing might make this my dream phone, at least in terms of features (would have to see how the battery, screen, and performance are). It'd be like having my Note 4 back (which I would still have if I hadn't had to get a new phone when I switched carriers).

RuGalz

So, 100% Made By Google, except the body, the components and basically anything except the software.

Should Apple go out of their way labeling that they designed the CPU, rebadged BT as W1 and made the software? Who the hell makes all the components in their devices. Besides Apple didn't change the CPU that much until the following iterations yet you expect Google to be able to do that from day 1.

jokkir

Android Police says the battery is about on par with the s7 edge. MKBHD posted on twitter that he got 6 hours screen on time, and he uses max brightness, Bluetooth, GPS, etc. Battery life doesn't look amazing, but it looks good.

About the same as the S7 Edge? Urge to buy rising.

Aiii

So not worth it
Should Apple go out of their way labeling that they designed the CPU, rebadged BT as W1 and made the software? Who the hell makes all the components in their devices. Besides Apple didn't change the CPU that much until the following iterations yet you expect Google to be able to do that from day 1.

I think it matters a lot who makes the components in your device, because that determines a hell of a lot of the performance, from how the screen looks, to how the device performs, to how long the batteries last. The more streamlined you make it, the better.

And if you're making a claim that the phone is 100% Made By Google, well then you're just fooling yourself. They made the software and if that's why you want to get the phone, more power to you, but other than the software, nothing about this makes it unique or superior to other phones.

Paznos

I don't think I have Google photos... Anyways I chatged it up yo 100 and then restarted it and it seems to be much more stable now

Hmm, well the second icon on the list labeled "Foton" is the Google Photos icon. If you continue to have problems it might be that running in the background.

RuGalz

And if you're making a claim that the phone is 100% Made By Google, well then you're just fooling yourself. They made the software and if that's why you want to get the phone, more power to you, but other than the software, nothing about this makes it unique or superior to other phones.

The marketing material says made by Google, not 100% made by Google. So why are you buying any device since no one says who made their screens, their batteries, their BT chipset, various sensors and controllers, Wifi chipset, RAM, the fine list of materials used to make the outer casing, who made the screws, where the antennas are lay out inside the phone. They all make performance differences why are you singling out Pixel?

By your definition, Apple didn't make iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, iPod, etc either.

Top Bottom