• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

co1onel

Here's some screen-on times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxtFLsfXo7U

He says he got around 3.5 hours on the XL. Meh.
He also posted on twitter (in comparison to MKBHD) that he always gets lower battery times compared to other people.
21a6f26b5e.jpg

So, 100% Made By Google, except the body, the components and basically anything except the software.

No, HTC designed the body. The components was picked by Google optimized by Google and basically everything else was designed specifically by Google. HTC is just the body maker. The phone is assembled in China. Please again tell me what input HTC made to this phone?

Oh wait...it's nothing because this isn't their phone. It's a Google phone put in a HTC box. Stop....

Apple doesn't make all their phones but every piece of that phone is done by Apple. Wtf are you even talking about?

Everyone here knows what I meant when I said its a phone 100% made by Google...Are we really arguing semantics now?

hitgirl

Can I shoot music to my TV from my phone via Google Play? I have a Sony smart Tv (the non Android ones). Figure it would be pointless to put a bluetooth speaker in there as I already have a TV that's connected to wifi, sure there's a way to make this work..

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Can I shoot music to my TV from my phone via Google Play? I have a Sony smart Tv (the non Android ones). Figure it would be pointless to put a bluetooth speaker in there as I already have a TV that's connected to wifi, sure there's a way to make this work..

You'd need a Chromecast or Android TV like device to do it the easiest way.

I think it matters a lot who makes the components in your device, because that determines a hell of a lot of the performance, from how the screen looks, to how the device performs, to how long the batteries last. The more streamlined you make it, the better.

And if you're making a claim that the phone is 100% Made By Google, well then you're just fooling yourself. They made the software and if that's why you want to get the phone, more power to you, but other than the software, nothing about this makes it unique or superior to other phones.

Designed by Google. Not made by Google. This is what makes the phone interesting, especially when they start designing the SOC.

Aiii

So not worth it
Designed by Google. Not made by Google. This is what makes the phone interesting, especially when they start designing the SOC.

Yes, my point exactly. It will start to get interesting once Google actually makes the SOC and are able to properly create hardware that they can perfectly optimize an OS for. Because as great as the Pixel is right now, for all the hand-picked components in the world, it is literally still every other Android phone out there, with the same drawbacks. Outside of the OS and the lack of HTC branding, there is no discernable difference (accounting for the year of hardware improvements between them, of course) between the 6P and this phone.

This phone isn't any more or less interesting than any other Android flagship precisely because it just like any other flagship running Android with a custom skin and some custom apps.

About the same as the S7 Edge? Urge to buy rising.

I want to know what the battery life on the regular pixel is like - if it's on a par with the regular S7. No reviews really mention it.

I've ordered one, but I don't want to find myself disappointed.

It's annoying that they say, 'by the end of the day', 'by 10pm' - because they make no mention of when that day starts. I do 12 hour shifts - so a normal person's day means nothing to me.

I'm guessing/hoping that with the lower resolution and the software optimisations that the regular pixel will be similar or better than the regular S7 for battery.

It's also annoying - the fact that my order says it'll ship by the 20th of October... But delivery is 24th - 26th. I hope they're just doing that to cover themselves. You don't pay £700 for a phone then have to wait days for delivery, you expect next day, which is no cost and no problem in a country like the UK.

Yes, my point exactly. It will start to get interesting once Google actually makes the SOC and are able to properly create hardware that they can perfectly optimize an OS for. Because as great as the Pixel is right now, for all the hand-picked components in the world, it is literally still every other Android phone out there, with the same drawbacks. Outside of the OS and the lack of HTC branding, there is no discernable difference (accounting for the year of hardware improvements between them, of course) between the 6P and this phone.

This phone isn't any more or less interesting than any other Android flagship precisely because it just like any other flagship running Android with a custom skin and some custom apps.

If this was your point, you could of said that instead of half ass correcting my statement, which is still right, that this phone is made by HTC which it's not. HTC branding wouldn't be on the phone because it isn't made by them.

But your dismissal of the biggest difference this phone has compared to all other flagship, is the fact that it is made by Google point blank period. Yes, it's no secret this phone isn't a Samsung and it isn't marketed as a Samsung. It's not an iPhone either because Apple owns that, but it's a Google made phone which ultimately means that Google isn't running away from Android and keeping it arms length which was a large issue for Android. Google gave Android to OEMS to make what they want of it and look where we are now....

The point is, this is Google making the step to finally step in and move android to where it needs to be. I don't get the idea that this is a skin when it is still pure android out of the box and the purest you are going to get. It isn't TouchWiz...

We can't get to Google making its own chips and what not if this phone didn't come out and that's the reality of the situation. And that's what I meant when I said that this phone is 100% made by Google. This isn't a nexus device where Google stepped away... They are very much the people who are making this and moving forward with creating this new era in Android.

I don't care for how much people don't find this phone interesting.. Like who cares. That's why we have competition and obviously that competition can be purchased for anyone but please don't make it seem like it absolutely needs to check boxes that others have for it to even be something to talk about. That's your opinion and that fine, but I definitely think that as far as the competition is concerned in the Android-verse... This is the superior Android phone period with those drawbacks included.

RuGalz

We can't get to Google making its own chips and what not if this phone didn't come out and that's the reality of the situation. And that's what I meant when I said that this phone is 100% made by Google. This isn't a nexus device where Google stepped away... They are very much the people who are making this and moving forward with creating this new era in Android.

Yep. This is just the start. They need to establish relationships with supply chain and a framework to allow them to think about more customization. I think by Pixel 3 I might be willing to pay for flagship price for phones.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-google-s-first-real-threat-to-apple-s-iphone

Reflecting long-held ambitions to build an Apple-style supply chain, the hardware division now has a supply-management team, drawing on the expertise of the Nest smart-home unit acquired by Google nearly three years ago.

Now that Google is designing phones itself, the company can at long last put together a product roadmap going out several years. For example, last month Burke was able to see a photo taken by a Google handset that won’t debut until next fall. That “would have never happened with Nexus,” he says. Going forward, more and more of the phones’ guts will be developed in-house. Burke says the company will eventually be able to ship its own custom “silicon,” a buzzword for customized processors that make devices work better.

Nah that's where I disagree. Whether it's more interesting is entirely subjective. The fact that Google chose the screen, storage type, camera parts makes it interesting to me because it shows an attention to detail which had been previously lacking. The HTC stuff is a red herring unless you've decided that this is an HTC designed phone which is isn't. All other flagship phones uses parts from other suppliers too, what has made the difference is the vertical integration. The specs of that phone aren't why people love it - it's the experience. Nobody cares what's inside (except us enthusiasts) - its whether it works. The internals don't matter to 99% of the population if the experience is great. And from reading the reviews it's nailed that. That is what makes it different and interesting for me and the reviewers.

After getting a chance to play with the 5 inch Pixel yesterday I don't think I'd consider jumping to it even if my 5X dies from this spontaneous death syndrome that seems to be abuzz on the internet, and the reviews only seem to confirm my initial impressions - nice but very bland and hardly distinct enough for the price it commands. I'm guessing they expected low sales for this iteration and decided to price it at iPhone levels to get data points related to the consumer and sales response, but that's not a good enough reason for me to recommend it over other android phones to friends. ($499 would've been a more appropriate price IMO)

Seems like google still has a poor grasp on optimizing battery life even when they design the phones themselves, and the only reason I would recommend this phone would be if the good camera+google photos offer is appealing to you, though I'm sure something similar can be done for a low cost with iCloud and knowing how their iOS team does things, it wouldn't surprise me if they get a port of Google Assistant.

For anyone that made 2015 their skip year, hold onto your butts cause with the note 7 debacle you're going to want to do the same this year as well.

Dobsie

The slide gesture on the fingerprint scanner sounds kinda cool.
Does anyone know if this would be able to be ported to the 6p or is it a hardware limitation?

The slide gesture on the fingerprint scanner sounds kinda cool.
Does anyone know if this would be able to be ported to the 6p or is it a hardware limitation?

Hasn't been ported to my knowledge, there are no drivers for it.

What would be interesting is to get it to scroll in Chrome.

yyzjohn

Banned
The reviews on the whole are mostly positive. Can't wait to get this phone and put it through my own use-case scenarios. I think I'll be very pleased with this long term.

No, HTC designed the body. The components was picked by Google optimized by Google and basically everything else was designed specifically by Google. HTC is just the body maker. The phone is assembled in China. Please again tell me what input HTC made to this phone?

Oh wait...it's nothing because this isn't their phone. It's a Google phone put in a HTC box. Stop....

Ars review:

When you look at their feature list, you can't shake the feeling that Pixel phones were cobbled together from an HTC parts bin. For instance, is there a design reason that the $500 Huawei Nexus 6P had stereo speakers and the $750 Pixel XL does not? Or is the reason that stereo speakers are not part of HTC's current lineup and therefore were not among the parts Google had to choose from? Is there a design reason the Pixel doesn't have waterproofing, when its direct competitors from Samsung and Apple do? Or is the reason that HTC didn't have a pre-made waterproofing solution available, so the option was not made available to Google? Is there a design reason why the bottom bezel is so large? Or is the reason that HTC phones typically have a fingerprint sensor or hardware buttons down there, so the parts made available to Google accounted for this?

Also, the Pixel has HTC code in it:

https://twitter.com/jcase/status/784096833148588032

Ars review:

Also, the Pixel has HTC code in it:

https://twitter.com/jcase/status/784096833148588032

The fact that this entire thing is in question marks doesn't prove anything to me besides the fact that Ars just like the rest of us do not know the relationship between HTC and Google in designing this phone but for the most part, we do know that Google head this entire project....

Ars is taking about it as if the phone is another Nexus product..

Let me not be hypocritical as well. I did say that the Pixel is still essentially a nexus on the surface so it makes no sense to me that Nexus fans should treat it any different than that, but again, the bigger picture here is Google is taking hardware seriously.. Which I hope continues down the line.

hitgirl

What dost thou keep? I'm stuck on Verizon...

About the same price... I really can't decide if limited ROM support and warranty voided is a deal breaker. It might be...

Moto G4
+battery life
+expandable storage for movies while traveling (big plus)
+5.5" screen (big plus as my phone is my main computer)
+better design, really nice looking with bamboo back and white front
+better build quality
-voided warrenty when I unlock bootloader
-limited Rom support, 2-3 good options

Nexus 5X (Googy mailing me a new one since my almost 1 year old one broke)
+great Rom Support
+warrenty even if modding
-battery
-build quality
-small screen
-small storage

obin_gam

Hmm, well the second icon on the list labeled "Foton" is the Google Photos icon. If you continue to have problems it might be that running in the background.

Oh okay, I was searching for the Google name to be apart of the app lol
I opened that app and went to the feebakc pack. I hope they fix the problem for others if enough of us victims tell them :)

To be fair it is kind of hard to say he's wrong. The biggest complaints from the Android community were about the pricing. I didn't hear a lot of complaints about it not being waterproof, or missing OIS. Now at this point plenty of people (Like Osiris) just shrug off those things are unnecessary in favor of what the Pixel has.

Renee Ritchie may be a fanboy, but at least he is willing to admit that. I actually like his opinion over a lot of other tech journalists because the folks at iMore are very rarely cynical or negative unlike some Android journalists.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
So from what I'm gatering from all these impressions/reviews, the Pixel would have been the 2015 Phone of the Year.

this_guy

To be fair it is kind of hard to say he's wrong. The biggest complaints from the Android community were about the pricing. I didn't hear a lot of complaints about it not being waterproof, or missing OIS. Now at this point plenty of people (Like Osiris) just shrug off those things are unnecessary in favor of what the Pixel has.

Renee Ritchie may be a fanboy, but at least he is willing to admit that. I actually like his opinion over a lot of other tech journalists because the folks at iMore are very rarely cynical or negative unlike some Android journalists.

There's been constant bitching from here and reddit about those missing features.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Uh, this sounds entirely fair to me. Pixel is a new hope and we're all excited for it. But on its face, this phone isn't anything special that I wouldn't expect from a new Nexus phone. It just isn't. It's a great phone, the best Android phone. Sure. But there's nothing special about it the way you'd imagine a Google phone to be. It's just a rebranded Nexus. And it's not particularly special. Nexus 2016.

Hey, the shortcut long press on icons... 3D touch coming to Pixel 2017?

Uh, this sounds entirely fair to me. Pixel is a new hope and we're all excited for it. But on its face, this phone isn't anything special that I wouldn't expect from a new Nexus phone. It just isn't. It's a great phone, the best Android phone. Sure. But there's nothing special about it the way you'd imagine a Google phone to be. It's just a rebranded Nexus. And it's not particularly special. Nexus 2016.

Hey, the shortcut long press on icons... 3D touch coming to Pixel 2017?

Question. What exactly does this mean?

I mean say what you want about iPhones being "usable", as someone who always liked OSX, my fiancee got an iPhone and I cannot figure out half the actions on it. I've no idea how force touch is supposed to work, i can never tell how to get back a screen, it's a pain

Pixel XL should have been under $500. Nothing about it commands a higher price. Resale prices will fall to under $500 within a few months though, so might pick one up then. You can get a better experience flashing the Pixel software and camera on a 6P right now.

I mean say what you want about iPhones being "usable", as someone who always liked OSX, my fiancee got an iPhone and I cannot figure out half the actions on it. I've no idea how force touch is supposed to work, i can never tell how to get back a screen, it's a pain
Same. The UI is a giant mess and I have no idea what Apple is thinking with it. When I first got a notification when the phone was locked I was confused how I was supposed to interactive with it. Now I know you have to 3D touch it to focus on it and then tap it to open the phone into that message after I unlock it with TouchID, but that's so dumb compared to how my MotoX's handled notifications with the screen off. Then there are minor annoyances like how not all apps use the "Swipe from the left corner to go back" gesture, or how a lot of apps put a back button in the top-left corner forcing you to stretch or hold the phone with two hands to use it, or how messy home-screen customization still is in the year 2016.

Aiii

So not worth it

Force Touch is actually quite easy to use, it is just not intuitive because you have been used to pressure not mattering since 2007. Took me a week or two but now that I am used to it I love it for accessing quick actions and for interacting with notifications. Glad Pixel is copying the former, I hope they add the latter too because expanding notifications on Android is still way too hit and miss.

daoster

Pixel XL should have been under $500. Nothing about it commands a higher price. Resale prices will fall to under $500 within a few months though, so might pick one up then. You can get a better experience flashing the Pixel software and camera on a 6P right now.

Lol! Why stop at 500? It should have been 400. Would have sold gang busters.

Question for frequent music listeners on Android:

I got a Moto E for the express purpose of using it as my workout audio player. Coming from the iPod Touch, I'm used to BIG buttons on the lock screen for Next, Previous, and Pause, as well as volume.

Is there any media player on Android that allows you to set bigger lock screen controls? I like the Google Play ability to manage my music from anywhere I get wifi, but I will split for a paid player in heartbeat if it means avoiding the fumbling every time I want to change songs.

Top Bottom