• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Jeffrey

Caught up on reviews. Seems like a decent phone.

Any confirmation if the screen is 2.5d? I miss phones that you can slap a glass protector on without any missing coverage.

zchen

I have $33 from Google Opinion rewards, want to spend it on some paid apps,

So far I have on the potential buy list
Pocketcast for podcasts
Moonreader for e-reader/txt
Poweramp for music
weather timeline for weather
Nova Launcher

any other recommendations?

Pocketcast for podcasts
Poweramp for music
Nova Launcher

I can highly recommend Pocketcasts. Best podcast app I've used.

NotBacon

Pocketcast for podcasts
Poweramp for music
Nova Launcher

Pockets casts is dope.
I really like FlightRadar24.

I would have said $400 but I find google updates and snapdragon 821 to be worth an extra $100 over axon 7 and OnePlus 3. $770+tax is laughable for this phone.

More smart than laughable. They are going to sell far more Pixels than any google phone before it.

Google was fully aware they had to price this the same as iPhone to be recognized at the level it is right now. They knew what they were doing.

They don't release sales data, so there is no way to know. Preorders sold out much slower for it than previous phones though.

It doesn't take numbers to know this is going to sell more than any nexus phone. Every single publication on the internet wrote a review about the pixel today. That has never happened with a google phone before.

Websites like Inc, New York Times, TIME, CNBC and USA Today don't write reviews for phones that aren't Samsung or Apple. Hell they barely write Samsung reviews.

Videos like this just don't happen every year.
http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000560351

It doesn't take numbers to know this is going to sell more than any nexus phone.

Every single publication on the internet wrote a review about the pixel today. That has never happened with a non Samsung/iPhone before.

Reviews don't translate into sales. Also pretty much everyone that reviewed this phone also reviewed the 6P, so not really sure what you mean.

Sure, there is a good chance it sells more than any other Nexus phone, but that is more due to Verizon selling it and Google marketing.

mackattk

Pocketcast for podcasts
Poweramp for music
Nova Launcher

Moonreader is fantastic, tons of customization options as well as cross device syncing and cloud support.

Reviews don't translate into sales. Also pretty much everyone that reviewed this phone also reviewed the 6P, so not really sure what you mean.

Uh, no they didn't. Look at my edit. I added plenty of main stream publications that have never given two shits about a google phone until now.

You cant deny the hype. To say this is anything like a nexus launch is ridiculous.

Ok. Go find the New York Times and TIME review of the Nexus 6p and post it here.

And the video you just posted isn't even a review more or less real people covering it. You are delusional.

http://time.com/4054236/google-nexus-6p-5x-huawei-lg/ Also made their 5 best android phones list http://time.com/4071172/android-best-phone-samsung-galaxy-nexus-moto-x/item/google-nexus-6p/

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nexus-5...ts-time-to-buy-a-phone-from-google-1445447497

If you want to try to hype the phone that's cool though. It's obviously you are rock hard over these phones and trying to push them so much, yet you aren't even buying one yourself.

http://time.com/4054236/google-nexus-6p-5x-huawei-lg/ Also made their 5 best android phones list http://time.com/4071172/android-best-phone-samsung-galaxy-nexus-moto-x/item/google-nexus-6p/

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nexus-5...ts-time-to-buy-a-phone-from-google-1445447497

If you want to try to hype the phone that's cool though. It's obviously you are rock hard over these phones and trying to push them so much, yet you aren't even buying one yourself.

The only review there is from a website I didn't even list. (wall street journal) LOL

What's really odd. Is you just made some weird ass claim that I am not even buying one? I've had two on order since the day of the announcement.

Like I said. Delusional.

HawkeyeIC

latest

The only review there is from a website I didn't even list. (wall street journal) LOL

Whats really odd. Is you just made some weird ass claim that I am not even buying one? I've had two on order since the day of the announcement.

Like I said. Delusional.

I wanna see the receipts.

More smart than laughable. They are going to sell far more Pixels than any google phone before it.

Google was fully aware they had to price this the same as iPhone to be recognized at the level it is right now. They knew what they were doing.

I would be really surprised if they can outsell Nexus 5.

The problem with Google branded phone is that they change the direction of their phone hardware strategy more frequent than MS change mobile OS names. There is no guarantee google will continues this path 1 year form now. I would say it's 90% likely that google will change their phone direction again within 2 years.

Jeffrey

Just not feeling the hype. But it's kinda hard to feel hype for any phone these days. Market is too mature.

Z play's battery life might be the most hype thing in phones this year.

What the fuck. Are you Donald Trump?

Did you seriously just make up some lie about me then demand I show you a personal receipt?

Enough of this. You are all over the place and just plain weird.

First off you didn't dispute me here

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=219352343&postcount=9434

osiris3355 said:
I like competition and hate apple. I see this and Google in general as the only way to pound them down a bit.
It's not about Google for me, it's about apple. I would also root for another contender but there just isn't one imo.

Apples shitty businesses practices and control over developers like myself sucks.

So you admitted that you didn't buy one then, but recommended several people to buy them in other posts, but now you are saying you have 2 ordered. I question your sincerity when you do things like that.

How are you getting these stats? My phone with the indian rom is dead after 5h sot with brightness at 70%. I'm using Greenify, Amplify and Power nap.

I get 5SOT when I use brightness at 100% and little to no wifi use. In other words, days when I'm not at home. 8-9SOT is when I'm mostly connected to wifi (little to no 4g or 3g) and with brightness set to 75%(app).

Forgot to add, I don't use any battery saving app

Just not feeling the hype. But it's kinda hard to feel hype for any phone these days. Market is too mature.

Z play's battery life might be the most hype thing in phones this year.

Same. I was all about to get the V20, but LG's shoddy build and the size of the device means fuck it. Sticking with my HTC 10. Finally gonna return the OP3 back to mah pops. I'm holdin out till MWC.

CronoShot

My Pixel 128GB Silver is also Processing.

I hope it ships tonight and gets here tomorrow, but it seems more likely that it'll ship tomorrow and get here Thursday.

Either way, hyped.

wilflare

isn't it more like people praising the latest iPhone year after year despite it missing certain features... yet blasting Pixel for not having certain features too?

isn't it more like people praising the latest iPhone year after year despite it missing certain features... yet blasting Pixel for not having certain features too?

I don't see many reviewers of the iPhone complain about lack of SD card. I also never recall seeing water proofing being "a thing" until this year. I guess Apple invented water proofing. It never existed before this year, nope. If lack of water proofing is listed as a con or a bad, then a headphone jack needs to be listed as a pro or good.

wilflare

I don't see many reviewers of the iPhone complain about lack of SD card. I also never recall seeing water proofing being "a thing" until this year. I guess Apple invented water proofing. It never existed before this year, nope. If lack of water proofing is listed as a con or a bad, then a headphone jack needs to be listed as a pro or good.

precisely my point!
then you have people coming in saying well it is not about who's first, it's about who does it better... - Apple!

I'm like smh...

Jeffrey

How are the Axon phones? Just realized I can use them on Verizon.

It's finicky. But for the most part you can just swap a sim in there. Think voice lte doesn't work.

Also everyone here (including me) with one think it's a good phone. Probably the best overall phone at $400.

Has its quirks but don't all phones.

tzare

Nah that's where I disagree. Whether it's more interesting is entirely subjective. The fact that Google chose the screen, storage type, camera parts makes it interesting to me because it shows an attention to detail which had been previously lacking. The HTC stuff is a red herring unless you've decided that this is an HTC designed phone which is isn't. All other flagship phones uses parts from other suppliers too, what has made the difference is the vertical integration. The specs of that phone aren't why people love it - it's the experience. Nobody cares what's inside (except us enthusiasts) - its whether it works. The internals don't matter to 99% of the population if the experience is great. And from reading the reviews it's nailed that. That is what makes it different and interesting for me and the reviewers.

i mildly agrree with you, but how can we be sure that everything, but hardware assembly, was done by google and not HTC? Wasn't this the same way nexus were handled before?
nexus also were about software experience, so what does pixel bring to expand that? Stock android, with a few dedicated apps that i am sure could be ported to 6P or 5X for example. Unless we find some unique features that provide a better experiencie , like sony's stamina mode.
So far i just see a 'premium' nexus (6P already was), with new features and services locked from other android devices (including nexus). Nothing that makes you think , wow only pixel can do that. Maybe that will come in future phones, but right now...

I could swear that standby battery use has improved a little since the OTA update to android 7.0 on my 5X the other night. Or am I just wishing things to be there?

Furyous

You don't read iPhone reviews and this shows. All of the Android reviewer's take on literally every iPhone since the 4s have mention lack of sd, removable battery, and later on lack of waterproofing. Go check out iPhone 6s reviews and look at the things reviewers ding them for.

The headphone jack can't be listed as a bad thing because Le and Motorola released devices without one.

mackattk

How are the Axon phones? Just realized I can use them on Verizon.

I enjoyed my short time with it, I just had a few issues with it, which was mostly my fault. Biggest thing was typing on it kind of sucked for me... kept pressing the capacitive home button instead of the space bar. Other issue is the dedicated headphone amp worked in only a few apps and not completely system wide. I use Google play music to listen to music and the hifi dac didn't work in it. I know it worked in the stock music player as well as a select build of poweramp. It is something that can probably be patched but it was pretty disappointing.

It technically works on verizon, but I heard it can can be pretty finicky.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm interested to hear impressions from 6P owners. 6P owners, please note your battery time today and then compare when you get your Pixels. Thanks!

Top Bottom