• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

iavi

How does the Galaxy Note 4 hold up performance-wise, has the upgrade to MM helped it at all?

The Galaxy Note 4 is an evergreen phone so far, just due to it being at one of those points of diminishing returns for my usage case; I don't play games or require any power past what the GN4 has in it.

The screen has yet to be seriously outclassed. The battery isn't the best, but lasts all day, and you're still able to swap in a new one.

I'm not even on Marshmallow yet. Fucking T-Mobile.

I will be returning to stock with whatever new nexus, though.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I use the Elementalx kernel. Franco's kernel is also pretty popular however Elementalx is usually updated faster.

Basically the Custom kernel gives you very fine controls over some low level hardware settings such as CPU governor, Governor settings, gpu clockspeed, CPU and GPU voltages, color calibration, I/O, etc. It also includes a high brightness mode which is very useful on the N6 since the screen is so dim. I can activate via widget in case I need it when under direct sunlight.

I mostly use it to calibrate the screen colors on my nexus 6 and to use a custom CPU governor (I use the Elementalx governor which I find gives better performance and battery life than the interactive governor android uses by default. )

For instance, I set it so that at 30% battery the phone switches to power saving mode which shuts down 2 of the 4 cpu cores. This can really make a difference without a noticeable dent in performance.

On 6.0.1 with the custom kernel and governor I get about 6 hours of SoT and ~0.5% hourly idle drain.

Where is the setting for the power saving mode? Is that an Elemental X setting or the default one on the 6P?

Saiyan-Rox

They did the same with the Z5 series and it turned out that the scanner was disabled via firmware. Perhaps it's some patent or license issue and they don't want to pay up.

The scanner was still built into the phone? Take our custom ROMs find a way to activate it?

Still pretty crap of Sony though they in such a dive bomb

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I tried out the Asus Flip the other day and actually enjoyed using it. Using the touch screen in stand mode was very nice and easy. Being able to run Android apps is more big for gaming than anything else. For me, as long as I'm able to run the custom version of the PS4 remote play app, then I'm all good. My fear is that you would still have to use ARC welder for apks outside the Google page play store and remote play currently doesn't work this way.

The other great Android app that you would be able to run, outside of the productivity apps, is chrome remote desktop. Of course none of this will matter at all to me if I can confirm that I'd be able to dual boot Windows 10 and chrome OS on some of these new 2 on 1 devices in the future. I would only do this if I was certain that I wouldn't run into any issues later due to Google somehow restricting this. I'd be able to just use the windows version of remote play and still have access to Google OS, which would allow for some amazing battery lif, performance, and native support for Android games/apps.

Flip looks cool, but I feel like it's just additive still.

Like if I mainly wanted it as a tablet I'm getting a bulkier low res device that is still based around the Chrome OS UI and M/K setup.

Is a Chromebook with access to the Play store better than one without? Well yes duh. I mean you don't have to use it, but if you wanted to you'd have an additive experience due to extra apps.

For a tablet though you're changing the experience. Maybe if you could detach the keyboard, but you can't cause the innards unless you have s surface book type setup. Plus your still stuck trying to use Android through Chrome OS.

Idk I feel like it's a big boon to Chromebooks as Chromebooks in their current sense. I find it less of a Android tablet alternative though.

Futureman

Picked up a Nexus 5x. So this is what it feels like to have a phone which doesn't lag at every turn?

I'm not sure if I want to get a 5X and go w/ Project Fi or go with an S7...

For the 5X, even with the monthly payment plan, I'd probably end up paying about $10 less per month than I am through Verizon right now.

The S7 would be $200 out of pocket plus I would stay on Verizon so $10 more per month than Fi. Best Buy has a free TV deal w/ the S7 right now though... it's a pretty lame set (720p 32"), but it be an OK office TV.

Is the 5X likely to get Android O?

Mindwipe

My Pixel C just died. Stuck on no command. Gonna try flashing MM back on when I get home, sacrifice some goats, utter klaatu barada nikto a bit. Not hopeful, looks like RMA-ville.

kazinova

I really regret cheaping out and getting the 5X when I had the cash to go with a 6P. Just my two cents, certainly not a power user as well. I just want to install 10 apps and have the phone run smoothly.

I'm tempted to blame SwiftKey for the majority of my problems but the stock keyboard really isn't very good. I think the spec bump to the 6P would help.

Quixzlizx

For the 5X, even with the monthly payment plan, I'd probably end up paying about $10 less per month than I am through Verizon right now.

The S7 would be $200 out of pocket plus I would stay on Verizon so $10 more per month than Fi. Best Buy has a free TV deal w/ the S7 right now though... it's a pretty lame set (720p 32"), but it be an OK office TV.

I think Nexus phones are guaranteed 2 years of OS updates, and another year for security updates.

I really regret cheaping out and getting the 5X when I had the cash to go with a 6P. Just my two cents, certainly not a power user as well. I just want to install 10 apps and have the phone run smoothly.

I'm tempted to blame SwiftKey for the majority of my problems but the stock keyboard really isn't very good. I think the spec bump to the 6P would help.

Fair enough, I'll see how it goes anyway. I'd have loved a 6P but it's a big big jump in price, originally I didn't want to spend over £200, and I paid £260 for the NX5.

Plus in the UK, there aren't many non grey market sellers to choose from with the 6p oddly. Not if you want the phone only.

Noema

Where is the setting for the power saving mode? Is that an Elemental X setting or the default one on the 6P?

It's an elemental x setting. There's a power Saving mode which shuts down two of the CPU cores and underclocks them to 1.4ghz (on the Nexus 6 at least. I assume that on the 6P it shuts down the A57 cluster) . There's also a performance mode. You can find them on the upper right corner of the Elementalx app.

You can also create widgets to activate them from the Launcher.

BMHCegS.jpg

Leaf and speedometer icons, top right.

Priz

Any HTC 10 users can give some experiences? Screen is what the reviews say is the weak spot. Is it?
Received it on Thursday, used it at a convention Fri-Sun/doing tourist-type stuff all day yesterday. Where my Oneplus One would probably have been dead or needed some mid-day charging, this lasted me all day each day. Yesterday with everything and non-stop use (including for GPS driving from Pier 39 to House of Prime Rib) it still never reached a point where I needed to hop into battery saver mode. (I think I was at 18% when I went to bed) so happy overall with it. Smaller screen size than the Oneplus but it hasn't been an issue.

Overall, happy with the purchase. Just wished the special gift wasn't another USB cable (I bought some from monoprice already) and was the headphones or Ice Case. ah well... also, they had the free camera promo for Memorial Day which was posted on twitter within an hour of my phone arriving using Overnight shipping but they said they couldn't honor it since it wasn't at the time of purchase. Ah well...

My Pixel C just died. Stuck on no command. Gonna try flashing MM back on when I get home, sacrifice some goats, utter klaatu barada nikto a bit. Not hopeful, looks like RMA-ville.

Parents was the same, this is a replacement one already. Although they said that they couldn't do anything and just let it die. I've stuck it on charge and all is fine with it, it seems.

Mindwipe

Parents was the same, this is a replacement one already. Although they said that they couldn't do anything and just let it die. I've stuck it on charge and all is fine with it, it seems.

Having to install the Java SDK on a different machine just to make the arcane combination of USB adaptors work. Sigh.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
It's an elemental x setting. There's a power Saving mode which shuts down two of the CPU cores and underclocks them to 1.4ghz (on the Nexus 6 at least. I assume that on the 6P it shuts down the A57 cluster) . There's also a performance mode. You can find them on the upper right corner of the Elementalx app.

You can also create widgets to activate them from the Launcher.

Leaf and speedometer icons, top right.

Seriously. Thanks for this. My battery usage is trickling now. I'm trying to do stuff to push it to drain and it's barely touching the battery. ^_^

5x now and resell in the fall for a 2016 Nexus.

https://swappa.com/

I am confused by your post. Most people love the stock keyboard and any performance issues on the 5x plague the 6p as well.

You made the right move since performance on the 6p is not much better. Better to go cheap and hold off for a Snapdragon 820 Nexus.

I know it's a Chinese market Lenovo phone, but the recently announced ZUK Z2 really checks a lot of the boxes I am looking for in a smartphone. I wish some other OEM in the US market would follow with a similar phone since it lacks some US bands.

In case anybody is interested.
Snapdragon 820 with 4GB's of RAM.
5 Inch 1920x1080p 2.5D glass display with a width slightly less than the Nexus 5 and height only slightly taller.
64GB's of storage, front fingerprint scanner, USB-C, Qi Wireless Charging, Qualcomm Quick-Charge 3.0, and a giant 3500mAh battery.
Would pretty much be my perfect Nexus device.

reKon

Banned
Idle battery life seems better on my Tab S2 after installing MM. Before on 5.1 it was actually not bad, but then I started getting killed by Google services.

longdi

Banned
Anyone having annoyance issues with latest Google keyboard auto correction, It doing things when i don't want it too, like add/deletes space/letters..

Fatalah

Nope. I think that recent updates have fixed these issue from my understanding.

I've had my Nexus 5X for a few months, and I've had enough of general lag and the camera malfunctioning. I'm actually boxing it up tonight to sell. I definitely should have bought the 6P.

this_guy

I've had my Nexus 5X for a few months, and I've had enough of general lag and the camera malfunctioning. I'm actually boxing it up tonight to sell. I definitely should have bought the 6P.

I sold mine and picked up a Moto X Pure back in January. Supposedly there was a March update that fixed the lag (especially in the camera app and Snap chat) but I got rid of the phone before then. I'm assuming you still had performance issues afterwards?

reKon

Banned

You should have. That thing is a sexy beast (too big for me though).

I haven't had performance issues since the March update and you are fooling yourself if you think the 6p is any better performance wise.

The 5x absolutely sucked before March. Since then it's been fantastic besides the battery hit. Maybe there are people not smart enough to do updates?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone having annoyance issues with latest Google keyboard auto correction, It doing things when i don't want it too, like add/deletes space/letters..
This is a gaf thing and it's been like that forever.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What is the classiest phone out there? Like, you see the phone and you know the owner has a monocle and top hat.

CronoShot

Did the G5's quality control issues (seams in the paint, backlight bleeding, etc.) get fixed? Best Buy has the unlocked version for 599 plus a $50 gift card, so I'm....mildly curious.

WoodWERD

I know it's a Chinese market Lenovo phone, but the recently announced ZUK Z2 really checks a lot of the boxes I am looking for in a smartphone. I wish some other OEM in the US market would follow with a similar phone since it lacks some US bands.

5 Inch 1920x1080p 2.5D glass display with a width slightly less than the Nexus 5 and height only slightly taller.
64GB's of storage, front fingerprint scanner, USB-C, Qi Wireless Charging, Qualcomm Quick-Charge 3.0, and a giant 3500mAh battery.

Thanks for this. I'm in China and have been trying to buy a mi5 for a while now, but it's basically impossible to buy the version I want direct from xiaomi. Wonder if the Z2 will be in such high demand. I guess we'll see next week...

That sounds like my perfect phone.

Asgaro

So, genuine question: what's the point of 1080p and above screen resolutions, compared to 720p?

My device is 720p but I have the DPI set to really small, meaning the information density is large. Everything is tiny: text, buttons, icons, ... (I can change text and icon size without changing the DPI, if I really want to).

Why is 1080p and above so important?
(Aside from the VR argument. The "1080p hype" already started way before VR was even any relevant.)

So, genuine question: what's the point of 1080p and above screen resolutions, compared to 720p?

My device is 720p but I have the DPI set to really small, meaning the information density is large. Everything is tiny: text, buttons, icons, ... (I can change text and icon size without changing the DPI, if I really want to).

(Aside from the VR argument. The "1080p hype" already started way before VR was even any relevant.)

Because you get more information on the screen without making all elements tiny and bringing the stylus back that we've abandoned back in 2007.

Hasney

1080p is a number higher than 720p. It looks good on a spec sheet for a flagship. Why would the average consumer buy the phone with the "worse" screen? Exactly the same reason the megapixel wars on digital cameras happened.

I do notice 1080p on a phone looking much nicer to be honest as I use 6" phones, above that some screens are nicer, but I can't tell if it's resolution or just a better quality screen at that point.

Mindwipe

I managed to invoke the appropriate dark gods to get my Pixel C working again.

You can't actually flash back to MM, because I didn't unlock the bootloader as N preview is installed as an OTA. This is, suffice to say, a problem. But I was able to sideload the N Preview OTA again after doing a factory reset, and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Backup and restore actually works much better on a tablet than it does on a phone.

Fatalah

I sold mine and picked up a Moto X Pure back in January. Supposedly there was a March update that fixed the lag (especially in the camera app and Snap chat) but I got rid of the phone before then. I'm assuming you still had performance issues afterwards?

I haven't had performance issues since the March update and you are fooling yourself if you think the 6p is any better performance wise.

The 5x absolutely sucked before March. Since then it's been fantastic besides the battery hit. Maybe there are people not smart enough to do updates?

The March update fixed performance for about two weeks. Every monthly update refreshes phone performance for a few days, until the slowdown returns.

I'm most annoyed by the inconsistent opening of the camera. I have a baby, and I can't trust this phone to take a photo on cue.

Top Bottom