• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

snacknuts

we all knew her
I'm interested to hear impressions from 6P owners. 6P owners, please note your battery time today and then compare when you get your Pixels. Thanks!

Will let you know once I get mine next week.

I placed my order before the conference was over, so I don't know how so many people are getting theirs shipped so much earlier. >: |

tzare

Wait so the 821 in the pixel is clocked at 820 speeds? No wonder the early leaks were confusing.

Odd decision.

didn't google say the camera is really good because of how SD821 DSP handles HDR+ ? Not sure if that dsp is also on SD820(or has a similar one that can handle same tasks)
Maybe they just needed 821 for the dsp instead of the extra power, and decided that battery life was more important so they underclocked it.

RuGalz

I could swear that standby battery use has improved a little since the OTA update to android 7.0 on my 5X the other night. Or am I just wishing things to be there?

It's great for mine. I didn't charge overnight and it only went down 2%. It's also much better at dozing when the phone is just in my pocket.

Furyous

Wait so the 821 in the pixel is clocked at 820 speeds? No wonder the early leaks were confusing.

Odd decision.

As is the odd decision to require AMOLED screens for Daydream considering all of three suppliers exist in the world. One of which the vast majority of global OEMs get their screens from. Something tells me the Daydream spec should include LCD screens and 820 SOCs.

The pixel is great but the V34 is everything I want in a phone minus the near LG G3 size footprint. It can't come in any higher than say $650, IMHO.

mackattk

Have a Z Play ordered from Best Buy. UPS tracking yesterday said it was supposed to be delivered early today. Checked today and it is back as listed being delivered tomorrow. This also has UPS Surepost on it, so it might be handed off to USPS. That hasn't happened yet. If they hand it off to USPS tomorrow and it doesn't get delivered I will be super pissed.

Fatalah

Has any news outlet sought out Andy Rubin's thoughts on Google's recent Android moves?

Wonder what he thinks about the Google phone.

Man, a few pages back I asked about Duarte's involvement in the Pixel.

Where are these interviews?!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
As is the odd decision to require AMOLED screens for Daydream considering all of three suppliers exist in the world. One of which the vast majority of global OEMs get their screens from. Something tells me the Daydream spec should include LCD screens and 820 SOCs.

The pixel is great but the V34 is everything I want in a phone minus the near LG G3 size footprint. It can't come in any higher than say $650, IMHO.

You can't do VR on traditional LCD screens. That's just not possible. There isn't a single thing odd about requiring an oled display.*

*obviously outside of cardboard

You don't read iPhone reviews and this shows. All of the Android reviewer's take on literally every iPhone since the 4s have mention lack of sd, removable battery, and later on lack of waterproofing. Go check out iPhone 6s reviews and look at the things reviewers ding them for.

The headphone jack can't be listed as a bad thing because Le and Motorola released devices without one.

I don't read the Android reviewer's reviewing the iPhone, but I do read the mainstream press such as Walt Mossberg or The Verge.

Is there much value in this if you are unlikely to use the Assistant? I've never found Google Now to be useful (in the UK) and have no real desire to talk to my phone.

taco543

So I ordered the lg v20 from T-Mobile, and it says it's going to be her Friday, but now I'm kinda regretting it and thinking I should have just waited and ordered a pixel. I'm thinking I may just keep both but I don't really need two phones like that, so I might refuse the package and have them send it back so I don't get charged a restocking fee.

hitgirl

Thanks for the ZTE impressions. Honestly with Verizon it looks like Nexus 5X is still the best smallish phone. The Moto G4 and ZTE Axon 7 mini seems nice but voiding warrenty when unlocking the bootloader and limited ROM support is a big drawback. At this point i'm so accustomed to no ads on internet browsing and Youtube that I don't think I could run stock Android as is. Right now on my loaner phone while my 5X replacement comes I am on vanilla Android and it's covered with ads, don't know how you guys do it.

Noema

The Arstechnica review just sums up my feelings about the Pixel very well. Other than an excellent camera, it's a bland, unremarkable device. It has no value other than the fact that it's the anointed recipient of yearly timely Android updates. And it's not like the 6p and 5x didn't already have excellent cameras. It's just that HDR+ had always been sooo slow.

It feels like a developer's mock-up to test stuff on. Looks like something you'd see on a developers desk wired up to a bunch of stuff excusing it as "oh, don't mind this, it's just a prototype". The white one is particularly drab, which is not surprising since it looks exactly like a white iPhone, a remarkably dull looking phone in its own right. Except the Pixel is even duller since the lack of a home button gives the appearance of a ceramic mold to bases cases off. And the glass back is just...jarring.

The 6P is master class industrial design in comparison, even if it's easier to break than a chocolate bar. Even the chunky Nexus 6 at the very least had personality to it.

The Arstechnica review just sums up my feelings about the Pixel very well. Other than an excellent camera, it's a bland, unremarkable device. It has no value other than the fact that it's the anointed recipient of yearly timely Android updates. And it's not like the 6p and 5x didn't already have excellent cameras. It's just that HDR+ had always been sooo slow.

It feels like a developer's mock-up to test stuff on. Looks like something you'd see on a developers desk wired up to a bunch of stuff excusing it as "oh, don't mind this, it's just a prototype". The white one is particularly drab, which is not surprising since it looks exactly like a white iPhone, a remarkably dull looking phone in its own right. Except the Pixel is even duller since the lack of a home button gives the appearance of a ceramic mold to bases cases off. And the glass back is just...jarring.

The 6P is master class industrial design in comparison, even if it's easier to break than a chocolate bar. Even the chunky Nexus 6 at the very least had personality to it.

The Pixel Camera ported to a 6P showed drastic improvement in speed and functionality. So, the gap isn't exactly huge there either.

Man you're bumming me out about wanting this.

I didn't think it was possible to make the iPhone 6/6S design any more bland but I guess Google wanted to beat Apple there too.

At least the Nexus 6 had an ugliest kid in the class kinda look that you could laugh at.

Menaged

I could swear that standby battery use has improved a little since the OTA update to android 7.0 on my 5X the other night. Or am I just wishing things to be there?

I think it helped me as well, but it's still not as good as it was pre nougat.
Android OS is still the main drain for me

hitgirl

One Plus gets shit for bad customer service but my friend got his replacement phone in under what it's taken Google to process my replacement. Ordered last Friday and still haven't gotten a confirmation email, even called them to verify it wen through.

Ty4on

Any reason why Google Photo is my top battery drain all of a sudden? There aren't any photos to back up and it hasn't been like this before. I usually leave my phone unplugged at night, but with this drain it'll be empty in the morning even with battery saver turned on.

Mindwipe

Any reason why Google Photo is my top battery drain all of a sudden? There aren't any photos to back up and it hasn't been like this before. I usually leave my phone unplugged at night, but with this drain it'll be empty in the morning even with battery saver turned on.

The last release is bugged to shit and there's not much you can do about it except hope Google fix it quickly.

Ty4on

The last release is bugged to shit and there's not much you can do about it except hope Google fix it quickly.
>_>

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll try googling it and experimenting with shutting it off. Weird that battery saver doesn't fix it when it should shut everything in the background off

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
LeEco's LePress LeConference is LeStarting

CvJR4OYWgAUc7J4.jpg

yagal

Is 260€ for a Galaxy A5 (2016) good or I need to look for something else ? My LG G4 is dead, can't wait for a chinese phone, can't put more money.
I just wanna decent phone to wait to next flagship wave

Seeing as how it has a headphone jack and doesn't explode, it sure is the phone of the year to me.

with all its shortcomings, i don't see how anyone could realistically say that. it's not even top 5 this year. all of the reviews basically say the same thing... it's an ok device, jack of a few trades, missing a few obvious high end features, priced ridiculously high, but it gets updates come right from Google.

they literally could release a steaming pile of shit and "updates come right from Google" would make it a 10 to some reviewers.

Bobo and Osiris... Why are yall doing this? ⚰️

This exchange has me cackling!

with all its shortcomings, i don't see how anyone could realistically say that. it's not even top 5 this year. all of the reviews basically say the same thing... it's an ok device, jack of a few trades, missing a few obvious high end features, priced ridiculously high, but it gets updates come right from Google.

they literally could release a steaming pile of shit and "updates come right from Google" would make it a 10 to some reviewers.

I mean I said the same thing about water proofing but I was told that other flagship have it so that's why.... But some flagship don't get updates straight from Google which I find to be a big difference maker in the grand scheme of things. It's literally the reason I bought nexus every year opposed to whatever gimmick rich Samsung phone was out at the time regardless of how amazing and useless some of them where. I was willing to even give a pass on the crappy cameras for it... Why? Because my experience with Samsung has all been bad since the S3, TouchWiz got uglier ever year, and the Google i/O events reminds me that Android is better when not heavily skinned. So it's really not that hard to see. And on top of that, Google now >>>> Flipboard..

The only other phone that I bought outside the Nexus world was the Moto X and I loved that phone for a long time until the. I skipped on the Nexus 6 tho... That fat phone was just not for me at the time.

Under playing a LARGE reason why people have an issue with Android, is exactly why it's kind of a top difference maker. Especially if you are someone coming from and iPhone or someone who is tired of jump android to android phone, seeing these new features that's bring added to Android and you can't even use them because of some carrier restriction and or because your manufacturer passes on and moves on to the next. The update schedule needs to at least match the iPhone and that's really important for this phone and all Google phones moving forward.

Moto Z's are getting cheaper and cheaper on ebay. I have my eye on it, Huaweii looks cool too, but that skin is gross. I want a pixel but I think I'll try the revision before I jump on.

Top Bottom