• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Like waiting five years for multi window

Oh, and two years of support is not like Apple

As if Multi Window was a problem for Android when it's a cute feature that some people use. Don't try to oversell it because it's still not widely supported after its 5 years...

Two years of support isn't like Apple, but I doubt that will be the case moving forward when Google starts really dwelling into their hardware. In this day and age, 2 years is a lot considering 5-7 phones will come out within the time from the same major players. At the end of the day, updating the phone period is better than zero updated or an already outdated one.

wilflare

My Nexus 6 just got the 7.0 update. Anyone else?

7.1 Beta available now for Nexus, am downloading. 1260MB for 5X.

You don't have to unroot if already rooted. Just install the update, reboot into recovery, reflash twrp, supersu, then reboot. That's how I did it earlier.

okay i'm a little confused
i downloaded the update
allowed it to restart and install
now it booted right into twrp?
and now it rebooted automatically?

so reboot into bootloaderr
install twrp
install supersu
done?

Wait what the fuck. The software nav buttons are in the left side (bottom/USB-C side) when landscape. If I want them back to right side I have to flip the landscape. Got to fix this shit

tzare

Well of course not, most revolutionary changes in smartphones have already happened. No one said it's the best value, just the best phone right now. If you want value there are plenty of options (where the camera won't be as good, battery might suffer, bloatware, etc.), but if you just want the best then the Pixel is now the choice.

it is a great solid smartphone, no doubt. But i can hardly consider it the best if we consider a number of factors like being so late into this year cicle: underclocked 821 SOC that barely outperforms 820 or exynos in S7, no waterproofing, no wireless charging, no sd, boring design, no OIS (yes, EIS is great, but OIS exists for a reason) and still to be proven, better battery life than other phones.
It has a few great features, unlimited photos (do we know how this works? it is forever? only uploaded via Pixel? ) google assistant (if you speak english, elsewhere is useless, 24/7 support... well not sure about that, maybe for inexpert users it is a nice thing to have....
But i think HTC10 or S7 are better options considering they have similar o better features and can be found cheaper.
I can see many opting for the pixel if they consider 'stock' (it isn't anymore, it is?) android a priority over other features and price isn't a problem. But no, it is not the best one out ther. It is the last one, just that.
And in 3 months we have newcomers......

Hopefully next year pixel is a better device.

My Pixel arrived - but I was out - have to wait until 6:30pm before the driver gets back to the depot and I can go collect it.

Or wait till tomorrow for re-delivery.

Collecting it tonight.

Reckoner

My Pixel arrived - but I was out - have to wait until 6:30pm before the driver gets back to the depot and I can go collect it.

Or wait till tomorrow for re-delivery.

Collecting it tonight.

Have you imported it?

I wonder when Google is going to release this in Europe. I would like to try.

Have you imported it?

I wonder when Google is going to release this in Europe. I would like to try.

No, ordered from the official UK Google Store. It's released today - everywhere - as far as I'm aware.

Edit: Just looked it up. It's out today in the UK, USA, Canada, Germany, Australia and India.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Buying le pro 3. You get $100 off on 11/02 so will only be $299. Comes with unlocked bootloader.
I'm confused. How do I buy this, exactly? No headphone jack, I'm in.

I put 7.1 on my 6P. Night mode is gone nooooo

tzare

camera seens below average for this Leco phone. Too bad they go for high end socs instead of going for cheaper ones like 650 and giving us better cameras

hitgirl

Are all aluminum phones heavy? Or is the Nexus 6P just especially unwiedly, don't like using it day to day. However the Moto G4 which I just received is 5.5" similar size and just feels way better in the hand.

wilflare

I messed up ._.
for some reason, upgrading to 7.1.1 on my rooted 6P gave me an "encryption unsuccessful" message

I thought the phone was going into a bootloop when the 4 little colored dots jumped around longer than usual... so I did a reset #RIP

ArchAngel

My Pixel arrived and the first thing I see is a reddish darker display on the left and a yellow one on the right. JUST LIKE THE 6P HAD THIS SHIT!

this_guy

How come on my wifi the Moto G4 gets 80Mbps down while my Nexus 6P get 328Mbps.

Nexus 6P's processor has a more advanced modem that allows for carrier aggregation. Both phones have modems that have all the necessary US LTE bands, the more advanced modem in the 6P allows combining multiple bands when available to increase speeds.

reKon

Banned
I can confirm that the battery life on 7.1.1 on the 6P remains utter shit.

Already at 59% with only 1 hour screen-on time.

what's your battery usage?

If it's google play services, try wiping the cache from the google services / play store app and checking also check if there are any syncing errors with any of your google accounts.

also I would suggest doing clean installs so you can start off fresh. This applies to both Android and iOS.

I can confirm that the battery life on 7.1.1 on the 6P remains utter shit.

Already at 59% with only 1 hour screen-on time.

5x user here. Same. It's shit. I don't know what it is, don't care anymore, it's not up to me to fix it. Wipe this, delete that, factory fuck, lately I am more working on fixing stuff on my Android devices than actually using them. I have become the tech-support crew of my tablet/phone.

808, Nougat, rouge apps, all this shit should not be on the user to try and fix.

If it's the cpu, fuck qualcomm and just pick someone else because clearly they are shit tier. No confidence in Pixel whatsoever, with a shit tier CPU.

If it's nougat, then patch the shit or make Doze for real this time.

If it's a so called rouge app then don't allow god damn fucking rouge apps on the play store. A rogue app shouldn't exist. No app should ever take over the OS and kill the users battery, ram, general phone experience. It's not an Iraqi bazar for fucks sake, where is the quality control?

5x user here. Same. It's shit. I don't know what it is, don't care anymore, it's not up to me to fix it. Wipe this, delete that, factory fuck, lately I am more working on fixing stuff on my Android devices than actually using them. I have become the tech-support crew of my tablet/phone.

808, Nougat, rouge apps, all this shit should not be on the user to try and fix.

If it's the cpu, fuck qualcomm and just pick someone else because clearly they are shit tier. No confidence in Pixel whatsoever, with a shit tier CPU.

If it's a so called rouge app then don't allow god damn fucking rouge apps on the play store. A rogue app shouldn't exist. No app should ever take over the OS and kill the users battery, ram, general phone experience. It's not an Iraqi bazar for fucks sake, where is the quality control?

This makes me really hope that Google will make and have their own SoC by the time the next Pixel comes out. Google, if you're going to make your own hardware, you better start making your own fucking SoC.

g0tm1lk

After my first day using 7.1.1 I got 5hs SOT (still have 10% battery left). I was getting around 4hs on 7.0 but the last 3 days after the google play services update I got the usual 5hs SOT, so the same for me as battery goes.

co1onel

Just got my pixel xl. A few initial impressions:
- the blue is fucking gorgeous. It doesn't look like the videos from the October 4th event at all.
- lighter than you'd expect. sort of wish it had a little more heft to it. feels really good to hold though.
- buttons are slightly wobbly, but very clicky
- bottom bezel is just as ridiculous in real life
- still a very noticeable gap above the screen. was hoping they would alleviate this somewhat over the 6p
- screen is calibrated with a slightly blueish hue. gets brighter than the s7 edge's screen. Similar color calibration to the s7 too
- vibrator feels good
- navigating ui is as smooth as butter. compared side by side with the s7 edge, every action on the s7 has a split second delay. Most noticeable when opening apps or opening the recent apps.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Night mode was an absolute must. Fucking Google took it from me.

This makes me really hope that Google will make and have their own SoC by the time the next Pixel comes out. Google, if you're going to make your own hardware, you better start making your own fucking SoC.

This Qualcomm shit has been in the news for 2 years now but people still wonder whats going on with their overheating and shitty battery life. 6p and 5x purchases still get recommended and people continue to not understand what's wrong when they have problems.

I've been saying it for almost a year now. Every software update you get on an 808 or 810 is just going to get worse.

Get rid of your piece of crap 2015 Qualcomm phones so we can move on from this.

This Qualcomm shit has been in the news for 2 years now but people still wonder whats going on with their overheating and shitty battery life. 6p and 5x purchases still get recommended and people continue to not understand what's wrong when they have problems.

I've been saying it for almost a year now. Every software update you get on an 808 or 810 is just going to get worse.

Get rid of your piece of crap 2015 Qualcomm phones so we can move on from this.

Not everyone can pay for something like the Pixel/Pixel XL. Also, being on a Verizon family plan doesn't do me any favors either. Not having use of phones like the OP3, Axon 7 (it works on Verizon 90% of the time), Xperia phones, etc does not help my case. Funny, I really looked at Google and the Nexus because I love how they will get the latest updates before any other OEM does, but in this game, it seems that even Google has relegated their own products that they promised to support. At this point, I could step back to 6.0 on the OP3 and be better off.

Not everyone can pay for something like the Pixel/Pixel XL. Also, being on a Verizon family plan doesn't do me any favors either. Not having use of phones like the OP3, Axon 7 (it works on Verizon 90% of the time), Xperia phones, etc does not help my case. Funny, I really looked at Google and the Nexus because I love how they will get the latest updates before any other OEM does, but in this game, it seems that even Google has relegated their own products that they promised to support. At this point, I could step back to 6.0 on the OP3 and be better off.

My god the bitching in this forum is endless.

Go buy a one plus 3 and shut up already.

Wait, you will be back in here complaining in 6 months that your one plus 3 has no customer support or updates.

i feel sorry for y'all bitching about #2.

i legit feel like i should just switch to my Note 4 if i have to fly somewhere and switch back when i come back home.

not even planning to fly anywhere until next year anyway.

reKon

Banned

Stock Android is over rated. Buy an Exynos S7 Edge next year after the S8 series comes out. I'm pretty sure that supports all bands and it will be still be a beast of a phone. Exynos processors shit on Qualcomm's now. My Tab S2 that I used to own never lagged and it used the same processor Exynos 5433 that was in the Note 4...

mokeyjoe

Is anyone who is on the Nexus 7.1 beta able to confirm that they can use Android Pay?

I want to know before I update to the beta - thanks.

co1onel

Stock Android is over rated. Buy an Exynos S7 Edge next year after the S8 series comes out. I'm pretty sure that supports all bands and it will be still be a beast of a phone. Exynos processors shit on Qualcomm's now. My Tab S2 that I used to own never lagged and it used the same processor Exynos 5433 that was in the Note 4...
The exynos s7 doesn't work with any CDMA bands.

Top Bottom