• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

For those that have a non-XL Pixel phone: how's the battery? Really on the fence getting it now after trying it out today

This was my main worry - I didn't want the XL, too big. Was worried about the battery life of the standard but ordered anyway. Got it yesterday, it was delivered at 9am release day but I was out - had to wait for the delivery driver to get back to the depot and then drove 15 miles to collect it at about 6pm.
(I was also worried about the lower screen res, having been used to the S7 - you can't really tell the difference unless you go looking at it through a magnifying glass or are being ridiculous - I don't plan to use it for VR, but you might notice the difference there)

I didn't charge it, just switched it on, it had about 75% battery out of the box - with heavy usage it lasted 13 hours (admittedly, some of this was overnight).

I charged it at about 9:30am today, it's now 4:15pm and I've got this:

ATfLUCg.png

daoster

This was my main worry - I didn't want the XL, too big. Was worried about the battery life of the standard but ordered anyway. Got it yesterday, it was delivered at 9am release day but I was out - had to wait for the delivery driver to get back to the depot and then drove 15 miles to collect it at about 6pm.
(I was also worried about the lower screen res, having been used to the S7 - you can't really tell the difference unless you go looking at it through a magnifying glass or are being ridiculous - I don't plan to use it for VR, but you might notice the difference there)

I didn't charge it, just switched it on, it had about 75% battery out of the box - with heavy usage it lasted 13 hours (admittedly, some of this was overnight).

I charged it at about 9:30am today, it's now 4:15pm and I've got this:

ATfLUCg.png

Are you a power user? Or not so much.

RuGalz

I imagine they have to overshoot the rating in order to make sure all units comply with it.

In reality, you only need to make sure the units you send in for ratings to work at least as well as the rating states. They don't randomly check production line units to make sure they still comply. That's why there was report of S7 Active not able to withstand water at all despite the rating; Samsung went back and corrected the production line after it was reported by consumer reports. So, many people out there probably have defective units and just don't know it because people usually don't test their luck with these things especially water damage is not covered under regular warranty (for just about any high end electronics with water resistance labeling).

Either way, I don't trust these phones to be rugged enough that I'd use it in the rain even with higher rating. It's just an "oops, I hope it still works" insurance.

Are you a power user? Or not so much.

Well last night I was on it constantly, setting stuff up and installing all my apps. That was pretty heavy use - but then there was the overnight period where it would have gone into doze mode.

In normal use, I have lots of stuff auto syncing, I tend to set the intervals at about 4 - 6 hours. I check Facebook/Twitter/News apps/GAF every few hours maybe?

On a work day my S7 would just about last a 12 hour shift, plus driving to work and back - so about 13 hours. Occasionally it would die before I got home. I've had a week off, first day back at work is tomorrow - so I'll see how it does and I'll be able to compare it properly.

I reckon my S7 would have been at about 65% by now.

Suffice to say - I'm not really worrying about the battery life anymore.

Maddrical

Hi all, I picked up my first Android phone today after being an iPhone user since I bought my first smartphone... got the Pixel XL. Seems pretty straightforward and I'm looking forward to tinkering with it over the weekend. First and foremost what's the best software and/or app for organizing music? I have a well organized library on iTunes & I use Spotify also. Album artwork etc. is a must. I did the transfer from my iPhone to the Pixel which seems to have transferred all my music pretty well, but I'm a little confused what to do in the future when I want to upload new music to my library? I don't mind stopping using iTunes but I'm one of the weirdos who doesn't mind it for library organization... it's the way it interacted with my iPhone that I fucking hated, always felt like a chore.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, any must-have apps that I wouldn't really know about coming from iOS?

RuGalz

Hi all, I picked up my first Android phone today after being an iPhone user since I bought my first smartphone... got the Pixel XL. Seems pretty straightforward and I'm looking forward to tinkering with it over the weekend. First and foremost what's the best software and/or app for organizing music? I have a well organized library on iTunes & I use Spotify also. Album artwork etc. is a must. I did the transfer from my iPhone to the Pixel which seems to have transferred all my music pretty well, but I'm a little confused what to do in the future when I want to upload new music to my library? I don't mind stopping using iTunes but I'm one of the weirdos who doesn't mind it for library organization... it's the way it interacted with my iPhone that I fucking hated, always felt like a chore.

If your library is well organized with proper MP3 tags on the computer, the simplest route might be uploading them to your Play Music. Then you have access to the music every where (on the computer, on the mobile device, anything that runs web browser or anything that supports Google cast). If it's not on a computer, you will need to figure out where the transfer process dumps the files on the phone, plug your phone into a computer, copy those files to computer and upload them to your Play Music account. Play music has some weird quirks when it comes to organization, like if different songs in an album have different artists they will show up as separate albums. You can fix them afterwards instead of reuploading them.

reKon

Banned

Any help would be appreciated. Also, any must-have apps that I wouldn't really know about coming from iOS?

I'll let others help you with the music part. I think you can easily upload all your shit into Google Music and it's as easy as drag and drop.

My must have apps:

Nova Launcher (you'll have the same exact thing as stock launcher, but you can VERY EASY customize certain things like changing the icon packs to whole setup look way better. I use the Urman icon pack, 3 swipable bottom docks for a total of 15 of my most used apps, and the stock Pixel launcher.

Eventflow - translucent agenda widget on the home screen. Functional and sexy.Tapping it on it sends you to the default calendar app you choose.

Talon - Fantastic twitter app. I solely got this for the their translucent widget, but the app it's is pretty great. It's just as good as Fenix, which for some reasons has the most fanboys even though the two are very similar. Must purchase app if you follow on twitter.

Google Opinion Reward
- complete short surveys and get small awards back in the form of Play store credit. It added up over time. I haven't paid for an app ever since this program started. One important thing to keep in mind is that if you have location history off, I think you receive significantly less opportunities for these rewards. Also, make sure to answer truthfully. Google has ways of detecting whether you're just making shit up on the surveys and this results in less being given to you.

Google Photos - unlimited storage of "high quality photos" (get the app for more detail on what this mean). This is one of Google's best apps. It's a must use.

Opengur - for quick Imgur uploads. It's great

BubbleUPnP - must have if you're into multiple types of local/remote streaming from a variety of apps.

MX Player - best video player

Solid Explorer - one of the the best file explorers that allows you root access if necessary.

Wallpapers - Google's wallpaper application has a very nice selection of wallpapers from photographers and straight from google earth

Google Keyboard / Chrooma Keyboard - both are pretty great. Chrooma is amazing for the customization aspect and has a few extra features of the google keyboard

DiskUsage - best app storage info app that gives you a visual representation of what's taking up the most storage.

Pocket - for quick saving articles for future reading

Plex - a must if you're running a home server. You can stream remotely from your computer if it's on. Just pay the $5 for this version if that's important to you.

Yahoo Weather - sexiest looking weather application across both iOS and Android

this_guy

Talon - Fantastic twitter app. I solely got this for the their translucent widget, but the app it's is pretty great. It's just as good as Fenix, which for some reasons has the most fanboys even though the two are very similar. Must purchase app if you follow on twitter.

I used to use Talon but now use Fenix. For me it was because the dev made a new Talon app when he changed to Material design and users had to purchase the newer Talon app instead of having the existing app updated.

mokeyjoe

I'd definitely get a file explorer app. I used to use ES but it became horribly bloated. Now I use FX File Explorer and can thoroughly recommend it.

Also Moon Reader is a great eBook/PDF reading app.

RuGalz

Google Opinion Reward - get some "free" money and buy the apps you use regularly to avoid ads/bloat which helps with battery life as well

I'd definitely get a file explorer app. I used to use ES but it became horribly bloated.

ES got really bad, then I bought the pro version... No bloat and runs much faster.

Maddrical

Thanks for the suggestions all. Think I'm going to spend my Saturday morning in bed installing them all! Didn't even know Play Music was a thing, sounds great.

EDIT: 3 months free subscription with my carrier too.

reKon

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions all. Think I'm going to spend my Saturday morning in bed installing them all! Didn't even know Play Music was a thing, sounds great.

damn I didn't even think that we had to mention that. If that's the case, then you might as well get Google Drive and Google Keep as well. I'm assuming Google Maps comes default on your phone.

Google Opinion Reward - get some "free" money and buy the apps you use regularly to avoid ads/bloat which helps with battery life as well

ES got really bad, then I bought the pro version... No bloat and runs much faster.

Forgot about this one. I added it to my post.

Maddrical

...how did I not know about this. No wonder people hate iTunes.

If that's the case, then you might as well get Google Drive and Google Keep as well. I'm assuming Google Maps comes default on your phone.

I already use Drive & Docs a lot so I'll definitely be getting them. One of the main reasons I switched to Android since I use a lot of Google's products, and no other of Apple's. Didn't know about Google Keep, was wondering what app I needed to replace the Notes app with. Thanks!

Saiyan-Rox

Got my Pixel XL :D £29 a month pretty happy with that

Now just to wait for my number to be ported over and the case and tempered glass too arrive

tariniel

Is it worth buying an S7 Edge right now? I'm on an iPhone 5S and looking to upgrade to something, and the screen on the edge is just gorgeous. But it feels like we may be getting close to the S8 announcement or something.

Also considering Pixel, V20, or just an iPhone 7. After playing with the AMOLED though I really a phone with it, which the V20 and iPhone 7 don't have.

Is it worth buying an S7 Edge right now? I'm on an iPhone 5S and looking to upgrade to something, and the screen on the edge is just gorgeous. But it feels like we may be getting close to the S8 announcement or something.

Also considering Pixel, V20, or just an iPhone 7. After playing with the AMOLED though I really a phone with it, which the V20 and iPhone 7 don't have.
The S7 Edge is still a fantastic phone, but I feel like you'd be better off waiting at this point. The S8 will probably release around March. If you want a new phone NOW I would either get the Pixel or iPhone 7 depending on if you want to stick with iOS or not.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Nova Launcher (you'll have the same exact thing as stock launcher, but you can VERY EASY customize certain things like changing the icon packs to whole setup look way better. I use the Urman icon pack, 3 swipable bottom docks for a total of 15 of my most used apps, and the stock Pixel launcher.

As a huge fan of Nova Launcher, I felt compelled to correct you on something. This is not the "same exact" functionality of the stock launcher on the Pixel (at least not yet) because it doesn't currently support application shortcuts on long press. But the developer is awesome and tends to get stuff like this straightened out pretty quickly, and I have every intention of making it my launcher when I get my Pixel tomorrow. Just wanted to clear up this one issue.

Other apps I would recommend:

Event Flow Calendar Widget - I have used this on my one and only home screen for as long as I can remember to make sure I don't forget anything I have going on that day. Enough customization options for me to set it up exactly as I'd want, but YMMV.

Tapet Wallpaper Generator - I've been using this for about a year and I think it's fantastic. Again, lots of configuration options. I have mine set to generate a new material design-y wallpaper every 24 hrs. You can let it know what kinds of styles or color schemes you prefer or don't like and it will tailor them to your preferences. No discernible impact on battery life.

BaconReader - My favorite reddit viewer, but I admittedly have not tried a ton of them.

EDIT: I just realized that Event Flow was already mentioned above. Oh well, consider it seconded.

RoKKeR

I am loving the new Google Wallpapers app, I've wanted something like this. Is there a way to get the images actually saved on your device? I want to he able to use them as my lockscreen as well but I havent figured out how.

Maddrical

I'm pretty damn happy with the swap with this Pixel so far. Enjoying a bit of freedom of customization for once! That Event Flow widget looks so good too. Any clocks recommendations? The default looks great as is though.

mokeyjoe

I am loving the new Google Wallpapers app, I've wanted something like this. Is there a way to get the images actually saved on your device? I want to he able to use them as my lockscreen as well but I havent figured out how.

Speaking of wallpapers, Tapet is worth a try. It procedurally generates material design style wallpapers, it's my main wallpaper app these days (bought the pro version).

The Play Music free 3 months is also YouTube Red, so no ads on YouTube and access to their small amount of movies and web series

I can confirm my 6P still immediately shuts down once it hits battery saving mode.

SAD.
Mine stopped and doesn't even shutdown the moment it hits 1%

reKon

Banned
I'm pretty damn happy with the swap with this Pixel so far. Enjoying a bit of freedom of customization for once! That Event Flow widget looks so good too. Any clocks recommendations? The default looks great as is though.

I find clocks redundant because I always have one at the top right of my screen haha.

Here's my current set up with my Talon homescreen:

The Play Music free 3 months is also YouTube Red, so no ads on YouTube and access to their small amount of movies and web series

Mine stopped and doesn't even shutdown the moment it hits 1%

Mine was at 16% then went to 0% and shutdown immediately once Battery Saver turned on.

T for Turbo, perhaps? Their version of Apple's 'S' line. In either case, if the price is right, I'll consider it.

The Pixel is an amazing phone but honestly the best part is no longer having the 808. The 5x was a pretty decent phone besides the soc and speakers/mic.

ctfg23

I keep getting flashes of a notification on my 6P that Google play services stopped working. It happens like multiple times a minute. I'm on the 7.1.1 beta. Is anyone else experiencing this?

xero273

i tried googling a fix but doesn't seem to be working. When I am playing a game, i can play fine for a bit, but then an error popups saying google play services has stopped working. I can't get rid of this message. I hit okay and it keeps popping back up. Is there something I am missing?

mokeyjoe

i tried googling a fix but doesn't seem to be working. When I am playing a game, i can play fine for a bit, but then an error popups saying google play services has stopped working. I can't get rid of this message. I hit okay and it keeps popping back up. Is there something I am missing?

Is it a particular game? Could be the issue, or another app.

If not then clear cache and data from Play Services, or uninstall updates from Play Services and reinstall. If that fails, backup and reset.

Some iPhone 7s use a Qualcomm modem, while others have an Intel modem. That distinction could make a difference in how fast an iPhone 7 Plus can send messages and load your favorite app. A new report from Cellular Insights found that the Qualcomm modem performed 30% better than Intel's. The researchers only tested the iPhone 7 Plus, but the two types of modems are also used in the iPhone 7.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/21/technology/iphone-speed-modem/

Top Bottom